• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OTL Battle Points Emporium: (Read all about it and much later redeem all of your hard earned BP)

Thoughts on Battle Points?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Hello citizens of OTL. A few of you might recall participating in a little online tournament called "Rebirth of OTL" a while back. That tournament was run none other by me with some video help from one @ADAPT Chance . Anyhow, a few days before the tournament began, I had an idea swimming around in my head, nay an incentive to simultaneously keep OTL regulars from here on out coming back for more and to hopefully get potential new users of OTL interested in the tournament scene run here. As a long time lurker, I had noticed that some online tournaments of the past few years usually had something like a gift card which is nice, but those tournaments were usually far and between with the majority of OTL tournaments being the standard run of the mill with the "prize" being the good feeling that you get when you come in first or place in the top whatever.

With the 3DS version of Smash 4 having been out a few weeks now and the Wii U version to soon follow, this part of the forums has thankfully been shocked back to life as I have seen quite a few online tournaments for the 3DS version crop up. However, I feel that if this place is to be a thriving and vibrant part of SmashBoards dedicated to tournaments where you don't have to worry about getting up early and driving x amount of hours to some venue you've never even heard of, it only makes sense that we as TO's (Tournament Organizers) offer an incentive to help towards that lofty goal of OTL being said thriving and vibrant place. For those that didn't participate in Rebirth of OTL, I call this idea I've had Battle Points!

F.A.Q

Q: What are Battle Points?

A: An OTL "currency" that you can earn by placing well in all tournaments that have Battle Points as a if not one of the rewards. I highly encourage anybody and everybody looking to host a tournament on here in the future give BP a shot!

Q: What's a reasonable amount of BP to give to top place finishers in my tournament?

A: Depends on the tournament type. A regular old 16 man tournament for example should have no more than 50 or 60 BP for first place. From there, you would subtract the amount of BP you award to first place by say 12 and give what's left to second place and so on.

Example:

1st: 50 BP

2nd: 38 BP

3rd: 26 BP

4th: 14 BP

For larger tournaments, you should award more BP to top place finishers. i.e a 32 man tournament should have no more than 120 BP for first, 108 for second, third for 96, 84 for fourth, 72 for fifth, 60 for sixth, 48 for seventh, and 36 for eighth.

Q: So the whole subtracting by 12 when moving down from first place is just a guideline right?

A: Yes it is. If you are hosting a 16 man tournament with first place getting 20 points and from there subtracting by 5 points as you reward 2nd-4th place, then that is fine. The maximum BP allowed when it comes to rewarding must be respected however.

Q: What if I host a doubles online tournament?

A: Since doubles tournaments can sometimes be a huge pain in the neck to properly run, I would suggest making it each duo who participates worth their while.

Example:

1st: 200 BP

2nd: 150 BP

3rd: 100 BP

4th: 50 BP

Divide the number of BP awarded to each doubles duo by 2 and you will have your answer.

Q: How would I go about "rewarding" the top place finishers for my online tournament when its all said and done.

A: In Rebirth of OTL, I sent a simple PM telling my top 4 finishers how much BP they received and to hang on to said PM in case they or I forget later on down the road how much BP they currently have.

Q: What type of actual rewards can BP be redeemed for?

A: Things like x amount of funds towards one gaming service of your choice.

Q: How does BP work if I have a team/crew set up for team/crew battles?

A: BP will be divided into two different kinds. Individual BP and Group BP. IBP can be earned by participating in any old tournament here on OTL. In the case of team/crew battles, it will be rewarded to the 5 active crew members of the winning team with 10 IBP being the minimum and 50 IBP being the maximum. GBP is awarded to the winning team via a PM to the leader/treasurer and its up to the leader/treasurer to keep track of all GBP earned and spent. 500 GBP will be given to new teams/crews via a PM to the creator of said team/crew to help get them started. From there, 300 more GBP will be given bi-monthly as an allowance of sorts by me or someone else who runs OTL Battle Emporium

Q: What's GBP used for?

A: GBP can be withdrawn for some IBP. As long as you notify the leader/treasurer of your group first and you take only what you need, feel free to withdraw some GBP for some IBP!

Example: Say you have 975 IBP and you need 25 IBP more to redeem towards 20 dollars towards one gaming service of your choice, you would (as long as you have notifed said leader/treasurer first) withdraw the 50 GBP you need, but in exchange deposit 25 of your IBP into your team/crew's BP account to make things fair.

Q: What if someone tries to say they have more BP than they actually have or cheat the GBP system?

A: A "Three Strikes and you are OUT!" system shall be implemented. If you have one or two strikes against you, they shall expire over a six month period. Get three strikes against you in less than six months and you will be banned from tournaments held in this section of the forum for six months!

1st Offense: 25 percent of all IBP shall be taken away and a three week ban from participation in OTL tournaments including Team/Crew Battles

2nd Offense: 50 percent of all IBP shall be taken away and a two month ban from participation in OTL tournaments including Team/Crew Battles

3rd Offense: All IBP shall be taken away and a six month ban from participation in OTL tournaments and a permaban from your current Team/Crew.

Q: Can I help run this thread?

A: Sure thing. PM with what types of giftcards/gaming services (Nintendo's E-Shop, PSN, Xbox Live MarketPlace, Steam) you think you would be able to supply.

Q: So to be clear, you must have a smashboards account to be eligible to win BP should you place well in an online smash bros tournament?

A: Yes. Say you have a friend whom you invite to a smash bros tournament on its challonge page to help fill entrant numbers and he places somewhere in say the top 8, unless he had a smashboards account, he would not be eligible to receive Battle Points.

The rest of this post along with the next few posts shall be reserved for two things. First, a "bazaar" where you can redeem your hard earned BP for rewards* and second, a list that keeps track of everyone who has ever earned BP and how much they currently have (Group BP will be kept track of in the OTL TEAM/CREW BATTLES thread)

OTL BP BAZAAR!:

500 BP: 10 dollars in funds towards one gaming service of your choice such as Nintendo's E-Shop, PlayStation Network, Xbox Live, or Steam

1000 BP: 20 dollars in funds towards one gaming service of your choice.

1500 BP: 30 dollars towards one gaming service of your choice

2000 BP: 40 dollars towards one gaming service of your choice

2500 BP: 50 dollars towards one gaming service of your choice

3000 BP: 60 dollars towards one gaming service of your choice

Individuals who have BP:

1. Saccharose: 60 BP

2. Jerm: 50 BP

3. miracleJester: 48 BP

4. ADAPT_Chance: 38 BP

5. Techei: 36 BP

6. KAB1: 26 BP

7. c4p1v4r4: 24 BP

8. Thizzfface: 14 BP

Last edited:

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Reserved just in case along with the two below

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Reserved along with the two above just in case

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
So how would one go about redeeming these points?

Top Bottom