• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
A big shoutout to Jaxas and the Salem crew for running a awesome event this last weekend. It would have been cool if we had more time to finish up Triples and Quads, but all the other events were a lot of fun. Thanks to everyone who showed up and to everyone I got to play games with.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Stream links of the Salem Smashfest?
Wish I had some more good things to say about PNWM than just that I had to travel up there to work the event after paying my entry fee and being left out of the brackets. Totally see why you guys chose to go to Salem instead, I think I'll make the same decision next time :psycho:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Stream links of the Salem Smashfest?
Wish I had some more good things to say about PNWM than just that I had to travel up there to work the event after paying my entry fee and being left out of the brackets. Totally see why you guys chose to go to Salem instead, I think I'll make the same decision next time :psycho:
Internet isn't good enough to stream at our venue (it was the standard one; wasn't expecting quite that many people lol) but the matches are currently being uploaded to my Youtube channel: youtube.com/c/jaxasscarlet

T0MMY

Smash Master
Saw there was no SSB4 for the next UO event. @ Jaxas Jaxas Is Salem going to host something if the P:M guys cut Sm4sh out?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Saw there was no SSB4 for the next UO event. @ Jaxas Jaxas Is Salem going to host something if the P:M guys cut Sm4sh out?
I'm going to be hosting larger events down here in Salem as soon as I find a venue, but that isn't going very well (I've been looking for a while now).

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'm going to be hosting larger events down here in Salem as soon as I find a venue, but that isn't going very well (I've been looking for a while now).
Yeah, venues are usually the main issue with hosting an event. I've been having a hard time with that for years now. But maybe those places I found for you before might help out, and I'm sure there's a couple other places that could work out.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
There's no SSB4 at the Fight or Flight coming up? That's odd, considering so many people enjoy playing it; or maybe it's because of it. I'll go check out the info page on it.

Edit:
Hm, I found this:
"THERE WILL BE NO SMASH 4"
Emphatic but no reason provided.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Yeah, venues are usually the main issue with hosting an event. I've been having a hard time with that for years now. But maybe those places I found for you before might help out, and I'm sure there's a couple other places that could work out.
The issue at the moment is really money; I'm basically broke, so I can't really afford a venue that costs very much.
I do have a few places up in the air at the moment though, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

There's no SSB4 at the Fight or Flight coming up? That's odd, considering so many people enjoy playing it; or maybe it's because of it. I'll go check out the info page on it.

Edit:
Hm, I found this:
"THERE WILL BE NO SMASH 4"
Emphatic but no reason provided.
Matthew Miyamoto posted this on Facebook when asked about it:

"Sorry for the low visibility. I've been in class most of today. A lot of this is just speaking for myself and how I feel.

FoF3 is happening two weeks before finals week and I'm swamped with classwork because I'm trying to graduate this term. The building that we host in is closed throughout the majority of the summer so our options were to either host a tournament now or don't host anything until September, and Smashnest isn't happening this month so Oregon wouldn't have had anything otherwise.

Because it's so late in the term, I didn't want to host anything unless it was more manageable and less stressful than the other FoFs (100+ person tournaments are a lot of work and TOs get no compensation), and excluding Smash 4 was my way of having that smaller, more manageable tournament. I'm an almost PM-exclusive player, so of course I'd like to see PM happen. Additionally, the UO Smash Club is hosting this tournament, and we get primarily Melee and PM players. PM doubles had 8 entrants at FoF1, so that was kind of an afterthought.

Honestly, there is discussion among the TOs to keep FoF Melee/PM centered. None of us have felt like the Sm4sh brackets so far have been up to the same standards as the other brackets that we've run, and none of us are Sm4sh players. It's a logistical nightmare to try to run 6 spotlight events when we've got nearly 200 unique entrants across all the events, and it's super stressful on all of us. Especially when we feel like we're constantly 2-3 hours behind schedule. Furthermore, a lot of our leadership is busy, and/or not returning, so in order to make the improvements in quality that we want to as well as to make FoF something more enjoyable as organizers, we've decided to drop a time-consuming event that we feel like we're bad at running and don't have fun running.

We want to take a break and try to run this one without Sm4sh to see how it goes. Please understand that we're not trying to fragment the community or exclude people based off of the game that they like, but we just feel like we've been taking on too much and it's affected the overall quality of the event and our own enjoyment running it."

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Thanks for transposing Matt's FB post here.
... and Smashnest isn't happening this month so Oregon wouldn't have had anything otherwise.
I think Viiviff said something about wanting to do a Smashnest in May but it didn't work out because something to do with the UO side of things. I didn't really know what he was talking about at the time, but it sounds like there's more to this story than just "Smashfest isn't happening this month".
I'm an almost PM-exclusive player...
...there is discussion among the TOs to keep FoF Melee/PM centered.
...none of us are Sm4sh players.
...we're bad at running and don't have fun running [Smash 4].
He should have probably just left all this out. :\
Please understand that we're not trying to fragment the community or exclude people based off of the game that they like, but we just feel like we've been taking on too much and it's affected the overall quality of the event and our own enjoyment running it."
I don't see anything wrong with 'fragmenting the community' - though I might question the choice of the word 'fragmenting'. But, basically, running any event - even an event for a single game - is cool because it gives people an event to enjoy. I have only respect for other people taking on the travails of being a TO.

The part that gives off the odd vibe is when Smash 4 is singled out and given the cold shoulder. Such as in previous FoF rules when Smash 4 was allotted 1 hour (no Doubles), or when it was the only game required to have at least 5 setups or else the entire bracket would be canceled regardless of the fact that people were traveling from out of town for the event.

If the reasons provided are taken as truth - that the TOs really do want everyone to enjoy any Smash game without segregation/fragmentation of the community - then the TOs wouldn't be opposed to solutions to their problems which would allow for Smash 4 to be available for those that enjoy it. To wit, not having the staff to run Smash 4 and, possibly, having Smash 4 interfere with other brackets.

@ Jaxas Jaxas , perhaps I will speak to Matt about this, though I'd like to know if the Salem crew would like to have Smash 4 at the next FoF. The tournament is still far enough off that something can be worked out easily, provided the truth of the matter is merely grounded in organizational difficulties.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
@ Jaxas Jaxas , perhaps I will speak to Matt about this, though I'd like to know if the Salem crew would like to have Smash 4 at the next FoF. The tournament is still far enough off that something can be worked out easily, provided the truth of the matter is merely grounded in organizational difficulties.
I'd certainly prefer Sm4sh to be there of course (and the response from most of Salem has been basically "Ehh, not interested then"), but if they don't want to have it it's their tournament and I'm fine with that; I'll just run my own when I'm able.

jstv30

Smash Rookie
I just wanted to apologize about my last message sometimes I dont realize what I type I was worried if you guys took it the wrong way. I would like to know if there is a scene in Medford oregon. P.s. when I said smash I meant melee sometimes it is a bit confusing for me so I shot my foot for that metaphorically speaking. Thank you.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I would like to know if there is a scene in Medford oregon.
You're in luck, there's a nice Medford scene going on for both Smash 4 and Melee. I don't see the Medford people post here often, but try to get in contact with @thrillagorilla or @The_SuperiorTaste. I don't use FB so I can't give much info in that regard, but look for Jim, Dylan or Tanner in the Medford/Ashland area.

I'd certainly prefer Sm4sh to be there of course (and the response from most of Salem has been basically "Ehh, not interested then"), but if they don't want to have it it's their tournament and I'm fine with that; I'll just run my own when I'm able.
I'll be out of town this weekend so I won't be able to make it to the UO Smash Club this week, but like I said the tourney is still a good distance off. The solutions I'm looking at offering would basically be finding people who are willing and able to run the Smash 4 brackets so that the Melee/PM players don't have to deal with it at all. Additionally, any player called for a Smash 4 bracket who is currently playing in a Melee/PM game would be automatically DQ'd so as not to interfere with said brackets.

So the obvious question is: would you be willing to run Smash 4 brackets?

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
You're in luck, there's a nice Medford scene going on for both Smash 4 and Melee. I don't see the Medford people post here often, but try to get in contact with @thrillagorilla or @The_SuperiorTaste. I don't use FB so I can't give much info in that regard, but look for Jim, Dylan or Tanner in the Medford/Ashland area.

I'll be out of town this weekend so I won't be able to make it to the UO Smash Club this week, but like I said the tourney is still a good distance off. The solutions I'm looking at offering would basically be finding people who are willing and able to run the Smash 4 brackets so that the Melee/PM players don't have to deal with it at all. Additionally, any player called for a Smash 4 bracket who is currently playing in a Melee/PM game would be automatically DQ'd so as not to interfere with said brackets.

So the obvious question is: would you be willing to run Smash 4 brackets?
I actually already talked to them about doing something like that; they seemed interested in that for future tournaments, but not as much for this one.

T0MMY

Smash Master
If you can't get in contact with Thrillagorilla (Jim) here then I could PM you his number and you could text him. Last I heard they were going to have a Smash tourney down there this month.

And if you guys found a solution for all the potential UO issues then it sounds like they are just saying they don't want SSB4 there for pretty much no reason; it's not their game. I think it's hurting the local, state, and regional scene if they aren't giving those of us going to EVO a chance to practice for SSB4. Well, that's the UO Smash P:M Club's decision to make.

Edit: There's a SSB4 & SSBM tourney in Oorting Washington on the 23rd, maybe we should all just make a trek up there and support that tournament instead?

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
So Jon is hosting a Smash tourney on the 30th in Springfield. If anything there will be SSB4 there this month. Not sure on the ruleset or anymore info than what I heard word-of-mouth as it is not listed in the events listing here. But just wanted to put it out there. for whoever is reading this, and if they are interested, maybe we can get the info to you.

Thank you for the Help guys and is it possible if you can pm me Thrillagorillas number but let him know in advance.
I shot him a text for ya.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Smashnest is on hiatus because we don't know if we can keep the venue. We had some things go down last time that will make getting the venue more expensive if it's even possible at all to get it back

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Oregon! I'm a Utah smasher staying in the Vancouver/Portland area for the rest of the month, Do you guys have any weeklies or tournaments I can come check out?

CaptainChunk

Smash Rookie
Hey Oregon! I'm a Utah smasher staying in the Vancouver/Portland area for the rest of the month, Do you guys have any weeklies or tournaments I can come check out?
I'm interested in Vancouver and Portland weeklies as well. I'm also usually down to have people over at my place in Vancouver if anyone's up for friendlies/training. I'm a newbie to the boards and a casual that wants to get better so I'm looking for local partners to try and play regularly with.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey, welcome!

Tournaments are mostly tracked on Facebook, but they also generally get linked (or at least mentioned...) in this thread; there are some Melee/P:M tournaments pretty regularly up in Portland, which isn't too far away.

As for weeklies, down here in Salem I run weekly tournaments for all the games (though Brawl and 64 don't always happen) every Saturday (Sm4sh, Brawl) and Sunday (Melee, P:M, 64) They're only $1 to enter, but we have a fairly solid turnout (for most of the games, at least).

It's also a bit of a drive (probably just under an hour and a half each way), but at least on Saturday we already have a group of people who head down from Vancouver, so if you're interested in Sm4sh or Brawl then you could probably talk to them about carpooling.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Does anyone have a link to more information regarding Teddy's weeklies? That seems like the place for Portland area to look into.

@ Peach Masta Peach Masta - What is going on with venue issues? Is it just one person that is ruining it for the rest or is this just kind of an ongoing thing in general? I don't want to have to pay an increased venue fee just because one person is trashing the place and the TO has to charge more for damages. Portland has got something good going, hope things get settled soon.

Jonix

Smash Cadet
NNID
JKshaw
I can't believe I need to make 10 posts before making a tourney post on smashboards -.- LOL wtf.

Jonix

Smash Cadet
NNID
JKshaw
I am hosting a regional may 30th for all those thinking we don't have a monthly. THINK AGAIN, THE HYPE MUST GO ON!

Jonix

Smash Cadet
NNID
JKshaw
Also I am almost too lazy to make 10 posts on smashboards to create the tourney page LOL. Ima try tho, gotta get the word out so these oregon smashers can keep hype at flow

Jonix

Smash Cadet
NNID
JKshaw
Also FoF wont have another monthly until after summer. Which is fine, ima try to make something happen but we shall see :-D

Jonix

Smash Cadet
NNID
JKshaw
Also, GC just moved to a bigger venue and will starting to host tournieis on the second saturday of the month now. Should contain Smash 4 on saturday this time. Sadly there will not be dubz for any events, but Chris said they will hold smash 4 tho. Yay for segregation issues being resolved :-D

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I can't believe I need to make 10 posts before making a tourney post on smashboards -.- LOL wtf.
Ha ha ha, the multi-posting was hilarious. I didn't know about the 10 post requirement for posting tournaments - I guess it's sort of a dumb requirement but it might be a deterrent for web-bots or something.

Let's just hope no mods find out. XD

T0MMY

Smash Master
Hope no infractions were handed out in that string of posts, haha.
But Smash Wars sounds pretty hype and loads of fun, just what the SSB4 players needed this month :^]

Jonix

Smash Cadet
NNID
JKshaw
Also might do a 64 side event after the main event if enough hype builds (and enough time is elapsed for it)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Also might do a 64 side event after the main event if enough hype builds (and enough time is elapsed for it)
I've decided against using N64 controllers for SSB competitions. I no longer even have my N64 controllers. I'd join in if I could use a GCN controller.

Jonix

Smash Cadet
NNID
JKshaw
I am more then likely host it with the 64 console, I am trying to avoid wii's (unless it's strictly double dash) so setups don't get converted to melee or PM. I have bought 2 newer 64 controllers that have a good joystick if you wanted to borrow one t1mmy. I know your skills in that game are beyond godlike.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I have bought 2 newer 64 controllers that have a good joystick if you wanted to borrow one t1mmy. I know your skills in that game are beyond godlike.
Thank you Jon, that's very generous of you. I may take you up on the offer, but I've expanded my skills in SSB to the point where I feel N64 controllers only stifle my enjoyment of the game. It's the equivalent of forcing people to play Melee with sideways Wii Remotes.

SSB is generally played by the traditionalists (of which I technically am, I guess), as such it will more oft than not be the N64 as the favored system. In such cases while I may have moved on to the most contemporary options, I am still open-minded and understanding enough to defer to traditional style play. In such cases, I generally opt to wait for the opportunity to use a GCN controller as that is my preferred way of playing today.

I'm still excited to see SSB being offered on the 30th, since it's an awesome game and doesn't get as much spotlight as it deserves.

Edit:
Is there a Smashboards page for this event? I know there's one on AiB/NDJ, but I was just curious if you had posted something here as well.

Last edited:

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
At the last smashnest. People were smoking right outside of the venues front door which is a no no. There was a beer can in the garbage can which is a no no. People were smoking weed down the parking lot, but still on the premise which is a no no. All of this was happening when the CEO decided to stop by. So they were pretty mad about every thing. Viviff is working on the details, but I don't know what they've been saying to him

T0MMY

Smash Master
You should probably link it here as well though, so more people can find it

Smash Wars Revenge of the hoohaa!

Saurday, May 30th
Springfield, Oregon

I love SSB64, but don't have a controller for the N64 anymore, so probably won't be entering this time around. I haven't played it seriously since your last tourney so maybe I should leave on a high note anyway ;^D

@ Peach Masta Peach Masta - thanks for letting us know what the issue was. Not sure if people were being disrespectful on purpose or if they were somehow unaware of the consequence. Just when we thought the Portland venue curse had passed!

Jonix

Smash Cadet
NNID
JKshaw
Thanks for the posting, I posted the Facebook/Nintendo dojo one, I didn't know there was a lot of people on this group that were interested in smash 4 :-P

Top Bottom