• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

itrombe

Smash Cadet
NNID
itrombe
AYO does anything smash-related happen weekly in Beaverton/Portland/anywhere else accessible via MAX? :0

T0MMY

Smash Master
I got back from Gameclucks last evening and have to say I had a lot of fun.
Got to chill with @Sideslick and @Beardbot while I was there, Smash Tour and Heavy/Fast Special Smash was lots of fun. Also got to spend time with a number of my dear friends and met plenty of new people I thought were awesome.
@Gimpyfish62 ran the stream well and the general crowd was nice and respectful while keeping a good competitive energy.
Felt like the best times of Gameclucks when I used to attend regularly a couple years back. Looking forward to having some more fun with everyone and hope they enjoyed my Sheik, Diddy, and Pika I brought with me.

Also got to represent Oregon and used the "Oregon" tag on stream - was really funny when people were asking why I used that name and called me "Oregon". Heh heh
Check out Gimpyfish's Twitch Channel

They hit 40 entrants for Smash Wii U singles! That's quite a lot for a Smash event on Sunday comprised of entirely western Washington and one Oregon player.

I hope the Road to Glory tourney will be as competitive, respectful, and fun as this past GameClucks - really looking forward to another gathering of Smashers between our states!

AYO does anything smash-related happen weekly in Beaverton/Portland/anywhere else accessible via MAX? :0
I believe Tspeeds does weeklies on Fridays which is a lot of P:M and SSBM players but got their SSBU growing.
Did someone post the address and time to meet here before? I'm not sure if I have the info. If someone could help with that, would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Teddy is definitely pretty far for transit unless you live in Portland

Eggz and I host smashfests and we're right off the Quatama/205 blue line to hillsboro

Also I've updated the rules for Smashnest

Some updates for you all. It pains me immensely to say that we will be canceling PM Doubles for this event. Our numbers are getting crazy high and we have a time limit. The schedule is updated and final. If time permits, we'll run some PM Doubles mini tournament in the corner, so we can get our fix.

Other things to note, Smash 4's rules have been tinkered with. Some stages have been removed or moved to the counter pick list. Doubles is now 3 stocks each. Mii's ARE LEGAL at this tournament. If you choose to play a Mii or "Miiple", you will have to play the default mii that is generated. Time is not going to allow you to have the luxury of making your dark princess shadow boxer Lei Fung69

Further questions can be asked on this thread and we'll answer the best to our knowledge

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If you choose to play a Mii or "Miiple", you will have to play the default mii that is generated. Time is not going to allow you to have the luxury of making your dark princess shadow boxer Lei Fung69
Banning Mii is a much more simple ruling than fandangling rules to tell people how to play their character, especially when it's not even optimized for competitive play.

In general time is not going to be an issue because Mii are used only rarely, if at all, in a given tournament.
But *if* time is an issue, then:

Only allow Mi that are...
a) Pre-made and ready to go directly from a 3DS
b) Already available on the console.​

It's simple and easy to enforce.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Banning Mii is a much more simple ruling than fandangling rules to tell people how to play their character, especially when it's not even optimized for competitive play.

In general time is not going to be an issue because Mii are used only rarely, if at all, in a given tournament.
But *if* time is an issue, then:

Only allow Mi that are...
a) Pre-made and ready to go directly from a 3DS
b) Already available on the console.​

It's simple and easy to enforce.
Actually, I can't tell for sure:
Does this mean you can't customize Miis at all, or that you just have to use default Miis (instead of outfits) and can pick specials?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Actually, I can't tell for sure:
Does this mean you can't customize Miis at all, or that you just have to use default Miis (instead of outfits) and can pick specials?
This is what makes such ruling ambiguous. I don't want to be DQ'd because my Mii is wearing a Top Hat.

But the simple solution remains the same:
Ban Mii, or just let players enjoy the game.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
The idea behind the ruleset is there is no customizing them whatsoever. Mii's are already a gray area, but we're going out on a limb and letting them be allowed at this tournament. After this tournament, rules are also up to change. This tournament could possibly reach up into 200 people attending and is probably going to be the largest smash tournament in Oregons history. We're taking things one step at a time right now

T0MMY

Smash Master
As one of the only Mii mains in the entire Pac NW I agree with the statement that Mii should either be outright banned or left completely alone.
But if a ban is going to be used best to handle it professionally and let it be publicly posted for a reasonable amount of time - no PNWR post-registration-debacle is appreciated by the Mii mains.

Time is not going to allow you to have the luxury of making your dark princess shadow boxer Lei Fung69
Time constraints are resolved, as contained in the spoiler below to keep things tidy:

TL;DR is in bold. Points underlined.

Because time is the reason for a ruling then uploading a Mii is the only viable option.
It takes less time to upload a Mii then it does putting your name/controls in.
As an example: Anyone who uses a wireless controller takes much more time syncing/pairing their controller, yet there was no mention of a ban/limit on those for time.
Miiple wearing princess crowns don't take any more time than if they don't, but do add charm to the matches/stream.

Uploading your data from a 3DS actually saves time because you can sync your controller, upload your custom controls, and upload your Mii all at once all in the time that is faster than creating a name & inputting your control scheme.

Additionally there are only 3 or 4 Mii players in the entire Pac NW total. Chances not all of them are going to be at your tournament which means there's virtually no time constraint problems with a couple people who did a one-time job taking 30 seconds to upload their Mii.

My reasoning on the Mii fighters are at the forefront of national issues, referenced by @dapuffster and can be found here: Competitive Principles: Mii

itrombe

Smash Cadet
NNID
itrombe
holy **** project M and melee are so fun why can't peach have her smash4 moveset in those ;_;

thanks for putting up w/my nubness, had a blast!

T0MMY

Smash Master
Wanted to visit the Salem weeklies today, can't make it though. Those are always fun so I'll try not to be too disappointed - hope everyone has fun there today!

@ itrombe itrombe - which weekly did you play at?

Last edited:

itrombe

Smash Cadet
NNID
itrombe
Smash House Rock. There wasn't much smash4, but playing PM for the first time (and Melee for the first time w/competitivepeople) was a blast!

T0MMY

Smash Master
Glad to hear you had a Smashing good time there. I'm sure you'll find the Smash 4 players just as fun to play with.
And here I thought valentine's day might interfere with the weeklies.
Smash events usually start kicking back up around february leading into march, goodbye cold weather!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I know that I'm looking forward to fun in the sun. Though this Winter has been pretty mild, if not outright warm.

Karyuudo-Kite

Smash Cadet
NNID
karyuudokite
Heya peeps. I'm sorta new to the competitive scene for smash but I'm wanting to meet some friends play/practice and work my self up for tournaments. I'm in Portland and I play Super smash bros for wii u

T0MMY

Smash Master
So an update on the Mii's. Custom movesets are now legal for them
Oh, the irony, I haven't played Mii in a month to practice for Gameclucks (went to finals with Sheik/Diddy/Pikachu/whoever).
In the weeklies I mained Palutena (customs don't really help her) and only went Mii Brawler one round yesterday in the entire bracket, and it seemed kind of unfamiliar.

Heya peeps. I'm sorta new to the competitive scene for smash but I'm wanting to meet some friends play/practice and work my self up for tournaments. I'm in Portland and I play Super smash bros for wii u
Don't be shy, pretty much everyone at Gage's tourney will be your friend. If you're looking to improve then tournaments are a great place to play a diverse pool of high level players and are a lot of fun! I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Oh Gosh ;A; I'm Excited And Super Nervous At The Same Time Since I Don't Think I'm To Good And Stuff xD But Sounds Like A Lot Of Fun.
Don't get too nervous about it being a tournament, it'll be lots of fun and there will be plenty of people there to meet and hang out with.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Palutena still isn't great, even with custom moves. She's still 90% the same and it takes a signficantly better player to win with her in most match-ups. Diddy will still Hoo Hah her and win.

I really like Celestrial Fireworks.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Uhh... what?
Super Speed doesn't help her?
Lightweight doesn't help her either?

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one...
Sorry, meant my Palutena, lol.
Yeah, giving her customs and no other character is just out-of-whack balance-wise.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
So we'd like to announce a special guest coming tomorrow. Redbull has just agreed to sponsor this and will be coming tomorrow to "spread their wings". Now that we're esports, all y'all better act like it now.

Also, HYPE

itrombe

Smash Cadet
NNID
itrombe
Is it possible to register before the event starts? My shift ends at 2:00 PM

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
You can show up and register. As for registration before you even arrive. As long as you show up an hour before your bracket that you want to enter starts, you'll be good

T0MMY

Smash Master
I had a blast too, just got back home. Quite a weekend - went up for one Smash tourney, wound up attending three.
Looking forward to the next one, hope they can all be big events like this one but a better venue may be needed. With that many people it was stuffy inside.
Want to type more, but tired/hungry. Thanks for hosting!
So many tourneys all at once, but still loking forward to next weekend's at Pixel Battles.

Zubola

Smash Cadet
wont be able to come down this weekend, still too much work orz

will start joining in again once this term's over

Last edited:

N0_Worries

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I finally got around to making an account. I'm the T.O. from Smash @ Disc Heroes and just want to come and thank @T1MMY and @ T0MMY T0MMY for coming out yesterday. The turnout yesterday was actually the smallest turnout I've ever had, so hopefully that doesn't deter you guys from coming to future tournaments. I will make a thread for the next one, and at the moment I'm still trying to decide what events I want to run alongside Melee singles, so if you guys are interested and can have a decent amount of people come out, I would love to run Smash 4 again.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm the T.O. from Smash @ Disc Heroes and just want to come and thank @T1MMY and @ T0MMY T0MMY for coming out yesterday.
Hey, nice to hear from you. The thanks should go to you and @ Jaxas Jaxas for running things so well. :)

The turnout yesterday was actually the smallest turnout I've ever had, so hopefully that doesn't deter you guys from coming to future tournaments.
The tournament was a lot of fun regardless of numbers and I got to meet the local players which is always the best part of traveling to tournaments.

...if you guys are interested and can have a decent amount of people come out, I would love to run Smash 4 again.
I would love to make it to another Disc Heroes tournament. Talking with the other Smash 4 players I know they would love to see more events in the area as well and I'd suggest contacting the PSU Smash Club too since they play both Smash 4 and Melee and could be interested in showing up.

Thanks again for running the event. I'll keep an eye out for that tournament thread.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
wont be able to come down this weekend, still too much work orz

will start joining in again once this term's over
I'm sad to hear that. Looks like I'm going to have to find another Super Saiyan to carry me in Doubles. :(

Good luck with the rest of the term! Gambayo!

Top Bottom