• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Optimal Punish on Spacies when Rest is Not an Option

Gavazzi

Smash Rookie
I am curious how deeply puff's punish game has been developed when rest is not a viable option, i.e. puff is down on stocks and at high percent. Near the edge, throwing them offstage would obviously be optimal, but suppose one is near center stage. I imagine up-air chains would optimize damage output, but it's hard to kill spacies unless they are either at high percents or grounded. Any thoughts?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Not sure exactly what you're asking, but you should keep in mind that the goal is to knock them off stage or out of center stage, not necessarily build percent. Versus spacies, you can kill them at basically any %, so percent barely matters. Also f-smash is a really good kill move when rest isn't available and can easily knock them out of center stage if that's the problem.

Gavazzi

Smash Rookie
Sure, f-smash is a good way to take stocks when spacies are at a high enough percent, but it's a dangerous commitment when puff is at a high percent. If a fox is at ~12% and you get a grab, what should you do if you can't rest without being punished once the fox respawns?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Sure, f-smash is a good way to take stocks when spacies are at a high enough percent, but it's a dangerous commitment when puff is at a high percent. If a fox is at ~12% and you get a grab, what should you do if you can't rest without being punished once the fox respawns?
I guess it kind of depends on where the platforms are. I'd probably upthrow and follow their DI with an up air. Even if you don't rest them, you can get a lot of mileage out of platform tech chases w/ uair. You can go for the regrab after the up air if theres no plats, or condition them to jump out before the regrab and then catch their double jump. Another common option is descending aerial, which can be shield grabbed easily. Those are the common mixups, but they can also shinestall, air dodge, and even side b to escape. You probably won't see them doing those options unless they're mashing though.

You can always try waiting by the ledge and baiting in a fox as well. Its a classic.

Top Bottom