• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Tier List

Brainiac_man

Smash Journeyman
I recently had a strange experience, when playing online against someone who usually kicks my ***, I picked random character, I got Lucario, my worst character, I **** you not, I am better with freaking Ganondorf, I can't hit **** with Lucario (which is odd considering his range.) Anyways, the match starts, and I kick the living **** out of this guy. Needless to say I'm flabbergasted, then I thought, "what if input lag is responsible for this?" Yes, it made sense, Lucario needs less precision due to his weird attacks, so his attacks make contact more often, with your opponent being hard pressed not to get hit (Lucario's crazy hitboxes.) Of course, if this is the case, would this "advantage" not apply - to some degree - to every character? Perhaps some characters have a disadvantage online? This leads me to the conclusion that the (eventual) tier list would not be accurate when applied to an online situation, so, do you think there should be a different tier list for the sake of online tourneys?

Also keep in mind, the gap between characters would bigger in this tier list, given that we are factoring specific character advantages, this would also make it easier to determine who fits into the tiers.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
true. in the situation of extreme lag, some characters would be better than normal.

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
1. Ike
2. Donkey Kong
3. Wolf
4. Lucario
99. Everyone else

Wifi lag kills.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Wolf is stupid good on wifi in lag.

I honestly think he is the best character when the connection is anything less then blue/green.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Pit is in his own, horrible Tier as far as Wifi goes. If the lowest is Bottom, then Pit is, well Pit Tier. See? it's a pun people.

'cause Pits are deep... >_> Ok, it was a bad joke but it's still true!

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've noticed my main, Falco, is pretty much worthless on WiFi (with anyone, at least). Not only because of the lag making his timely attacks difficult, but the two-minute time limit means Falco has to get very very lucky in order to score more KOs than, say, Ike. The whole damage-building process (needed for most people but Ike) is a bit too slow to allow you a good chance to win.

I'm actually a little relieved at this, because that way Metaknight doesn't completely obliterate everyone on WiFi... >.>

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
Game and Watch is Great during lag. All 3 of his smashes have insane knockback. Chef is good too, along with judgement hammer.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
online lag KILLS precision characters like shiek or Sonic. while characters which can just smash things like pika, lucas or Ike do almost just as well.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Agreed on the downgrade that precision characters get. Zamus is so pointless online.

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
What are you guys talking about? The lag is...about a frame of lag at most.
Erm, no it isn't. Have you been playing fsmash spam Ike or something? Because that's the only way you could possibly not see more than 1/60th of a second of lag...

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Game and Watch is one of the best. Since his moves last so long, opponents just walk right into them. Ike dominates as well.

Ness is probably the worst. His recovery is totally gimped online.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
There is definitely a difference. Spammable moves are so much easier to throw out, because your opponent can just run into them with the input lag. So I agree that some characters perform better online than off, or vice-versa. It's not "fast beats slow" or "range beats non-range" either. Creating an online tier list would be about as complex (maybe a little more) as a regular tier list.

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
Game and Watch is one of the best. Since his moves last so long, opponents just walk right into them. Ike dominates as well.

Ness is probably the worst. His recovery is totally gimped online.
Ness' recovery is rough at first, but just like offline you get used to the timing and rotating the control stick in a fluid manner, Anymore the only times I screw up his recovery is if there's a sudden flux in lag while in the process of recovering.

In laggy situations many characters with laggy/powerful smashes (Ike, Snake, Game & Watch, etc) and characters with strong moves (Falcon Punch) gain a bit more power since enemies are more likely to get caught in the attacks.
Of course, when playing in wi-fi matches With Anyone it's mostly a game of who can score the final hits more than anyone else so characters with strong smashes get yet another boost.

DXStarman

Smash Rookie
Ness is probably beyond low tiers. With a near impossible use of the PKT2 to recover or hit into enemies, because the lag really ruins the timing, and PKT is pretty much all about timing, Ness is horrible online. Lucas is a bit easier due to his slower, tighter curved PKT...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
an online tier list is so hard though, because we don;t have a STANDARD tier list. until we have that, we can know which characters take the bigger hit, but we don;t know where they started from before lag mved them down.

Anyway, it's possible that one bloke early did only experience one frame of lag. When I was playing with Pyro last night, the lag was completely unnoticable. But normally, lag is pretty bad.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
ike dominates wifi. lol icant even play my marth due to his percision i need. also snake does well onlne.

if all depends on how used to it. the pple that only play online are really good but face them offline and theyll be like wtf why didint that hit.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Online tiers aren't important. Nobody competitively worries about those matches, as they can't be recorded or their outcome affect anything. So don't worry about it.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Pit is in his own, horrible Tier as far as Wifi goes. If the lowest is Bottom, then Pit is, well Pit Tier. See? it's a pun people.

'cause Pits are deep... >_> Ok, it was a bad joke but it's still true!
It's a good joke! ;o

And I can only say that Sonic is worse than Pit on wifi, especially where there's lag.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
ike wins online but i swear if i face those ikes offline withouth their lag to help them connect with fsmash id win lolz

also his down tilt, bair kill just wayy to much and fair , and any other mmove that has him using a sword

Top Bottom