• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Temporary Bans

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
You can get banned for disconnecting, targeting someone and frequent SDing.
I'm sure everyone heard about the 136 year ban glitch.
Do these bans cause more trouble than they stop?
e.g. the ban targeting someone is meant to stop taunt parties but it can be a legitimate strategy in FFAs to target the weak players.

What does everyone think about the online bans implemented?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think a lot of them are way over-inforced. I've heard about all the times people get disconnected for "stalling" and I'm just thinking...why? It's a machine, it can't tell what's happening in that fight. The battle is on a damn timer anyway, why are people getting punished for taking their time??

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I think a lot of them are way over-inforced. I've heard about all the times people get disconnected for "stalling" and I'm just thinking...why? It's a machine, it can't tell what's happening in that fight. The battle is on a damn timer anyway, why are people getting punished for taking their time??
Oh, I didn't know that could happen.
Well if you're on For Glory 1v1 and you're timing a Little Mac out with Jigglypuff because you're on 120% and it's easier to stall, you really shouldn't be punished for that IMO.

Lozzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
eey_b0ss
3DS FC
3539-9024-8068
One time I spent around 20 seconds or so running around with only my circle pad as I needed to take a phone call with the other. Somehow my opponent couldn't hit me during this time and I got a temp ban for "idling". The funniest part was it was a 10 minute ban. It seems like such an insignificant amount of time I could hardly even call it a ban. By the time I reconnected again the ban was done.

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
One time, I had been playing against the same guy for a while, it got to the point where we just fooled around in the match. We became friends! During one match, I picked Yoshi, he picked Wario, and we both started to crawl around the stage and pushing our characters up on each other. Super silly, but very funny at the time. The game banned us for idling and I lost my friend.

missla

Smash Rookie
NNID
missla
3DS FC
5472-8401-1251
I haven't gotten banned before, but I did get disconnected once for "targeting one player", which ticked me off a little. I didn't realize how touchy it was. It was a 3-player For Fun FFA, I was Lemmy, and the other two players were Bowser and ZSS. The Bowser player would not attack me, would only attack the ZSS. I did attack the Bowser a couple of times, but then he began running away and self destructing and only attacking ZSS while keeping away from me. ZSS, meanwhile, was attacking me, so I decided to focus on her because she was closer. Then she moved to one side of the stage, Bowser stayed somewhere else, and I was at the other corner. I fired a cannonball at ZSS with the intention of tackling Bowser after that, but that's when I got disconnected for targeting.

I feel like, at least for targeting another player, the disconnection or ban should only be listed if the person reports it afterward. The ZSS player surely saw me going after Bowser at one point, I doubt she would ever have accused me of teaming with Bowser and only attacking her.

The Blue ShyGuy

Smash Rookie
One time, I had been playing against the same guy for a while, it got to the point where we just fooled around in the match. We became friends! During one match, I picked Yoshi, he picked Wario, and we both started to crawl around the stage and pushing our characters up on each other. Super silly, but very funny at the time. The game banned us for idling and I lost my friend.
Great job, Nintendo! You made sure that we can never ever have fun online unless we're tearing at each other's throats. Granted, that's the point of the game, but you aren't going to make any friends just mindlessly brawling. It's nice to loosen up with the better players.

Lozzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
eey_b0ss
3DS FC
3539-9024-8068
Great job, Nintendo! You made sure that we can never ever have fun online unless we're tearing at each other's throats. Granted, that's the point of the game, but you aren't going to make any friends just mindlessly brawling. It's nice to loosen up with the better players.
Nintendo seems to hate any communication between players. Friend codes are such an outdated system, really inconvenient and convoluted. We have Miiverse, why can't we use that as a WiiU online system of sorts? If I find someone on For Glory and I have good fights with them, I may want to play them again some other time. I understand Nintendo wants to keep the online play anonymous to prevent harassment e.c.t but surely they can have that in parental options? Seems like an obvious solution.

Jinx129

Smash Ace
NNID
Jinx129
3DS FC
3368-3418-9942
Yeah practicing some pivoting (no attacks) and bam kicked for idling. Later, two players were beating up on the third, I was on the opposite side of the stage and grabbed the assist trophy. The assist then went and joined in the tag teaming against the one already being hit. Bam! Kicked again this time for targeting. What? Like I had control over the assist. Seriously? Yeah, as a more casual mess around a bunch type player, online for fun sucks! I need more friends that like to mess around alot and fight a little! Then I can have some "fun" for real! That's my 2 cents!

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
the only reason i go on for fun is to find taunt parties. but i am having fun if i find them, so, yeah.

Top Bottom