• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Mode feels incredibly incomplete

godogod

Smash Ace
I'm really surprised and dissapointed that almost a year and a half after this game came out we don't have Mii Fighters, custom moves, miiverse stage, and Smash Tour in all online modes.

In addition, tournament mode should be available offline.
The fact these aren't available online(and tourney mode offline), makes me feel like they're an after thought, and wonder why Sakurai even bothered implementing them in the first place.

I don't see how anyone could argue against these, and I'm even more surprised that nobody ever brings these up.

Mii Fighters - Really, how can they not be available in For Glory and For Fun? e. Have a pervy looking face, then we should be able to report them. We already have mii racers available in MK8(and MK Wii) without a hitch online.

Custom Moves - *Let me make it clear, I'm talking about custom moves, and not the actual stat changing equipment. Developers could disable equipment in FG mode and patch an button to turn them off playing with friends online(as well as offline) while still having custom moves turned on. If custom moves become available in FG, people will actually want to play with them and it will pave the way to be available in tournaments and could only help the metagame(especially certain characters). Don't give me that bull**** that some fighters have broken customs. They can be patched. Have your voices be heard.

Miiverse Stage - At the very least, have it available With Friends. But along with mii fighters I see no reason not to bring it in FG and FF modes. Got perverted pictures? Make it more accessible to report them. I've yet to see really bad pictures myself.

Smash Tour - How is it that 3DS gets Smash Run online, but don't get Smash Tour online too? I actually genuinely enjoyed playing smash tour while completing the challenges. There's an easy way to make this mode fun. The A.I. is incredibly cheap, which is why I want to be able to play with friends online or against randoms (in for fun or a separate mode entirely nline). Also, they can tone down/or lower the chances) of some items like POW Block to make it more fun.

Tournament - This one is a no brainer. We need an offline mode and make it more customizable.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Using custom moves online won't influence the metagame nor tournament scene, chap.

Miiverse isn't allowed online for the same reason you can't use a 3ds controller on that stage, it needs a separate connection to actually download and display the images in real-time. Processing both would make playing the stage a lagfest, not that wifi isn't already so. Otherwise even with its gimmick disabled it's just battlefield.

Smash Run had local online play; there's a difference.

godogod

Smash Ace
Yes it would. I truly believe that because custom moves aren't available in all multiplayer modes, all but a a very small minoroity of people have pretty much given up on using them. For many people, playing offline multiplayer isn't an option, and FG is the way to go. And because enough people aren't playing them, tournaments are banning them.

The images are recycled in offline mode. I've played miiverse several times in a row and they've been mostly the same images showing for the same characters fighting in previous matches. Simply storing them as back up until a certain time passes to cycle shouldn't be a big deal. It's just a text image.

K, but that doesn't invalidate why Smash Tour shouldn't have online mode. or why Smash Run shouldn't have offline. Both should happen. Computers are not fun to play against in Smash Tour because they rubber band with cheap items(but they're easy so it evens out), and we both know its more fun with regular peeps. Toning down some items as I stated earlier, should make things more fun.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I mean, it does only have a ban feature that
A. Doesn't tell you you're banned
B. Doesn't tell you how long you're banned
C. Is based on how many times people report you, and
D. No one reviews those reports.

Yeah. I'd say Smash's online is pretty incomplete.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Yes it would. I truly believe that because custom moves aren't available in all multiplayer modes, all but a a very small minoroity of people have pretty much given up on using them. For many people, playing offline multiplayer isn't an option, and FG is the way to go. And because enough people aren't playing them, tournaments are banning them.
You can believe what you want, but availability of customs online, and online play in general, doesn't influence people who run, manage and participate in tournaments. They're banned for reasons beyond "I can't use them in FG so I have no interest in using them at all."

Nah

Smash Champion
Lag with friends wouldn't be that bad.
Lag is never a good thing

I don't think that the online mode is "incomplete" so much as it has a few issues to be ironed out

scotch_free

Smash Rookie
Considering some games have 64 person online matches I don't know why we can't have 4v4s or 8 player ffa's. Better video editing as well (why cant i FF and RW replays?!? its 2016)

godogod

Smash Ace
Lag is never a good thing

I don't think that the online mode is "incomplete" so much as it has a few issues to be ironed out
Are you arguing for the sake of arguing? Of course its not a good thing. But its more stable with friends than with randoms online with awful connections. Even then though, I still play FG because friends aren't always on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom