• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Melee Play

Skrlx

Smash Champion

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah, i've known about it, but the fact that it requires melee 1.0 (which is actually kinda rare, since gcn discs were the easiest to scratch beyond reading of that generation), a GCN broadband adaptor (which could be used for like... 1 or 2 games officially...?)
it also seems pretty complex (e.g. DHCP must be enabled, though that guide does tell you how to do it, it might put off some people), so I doubt there's a very large userbase for it. if the program goes through more version changes and maybe becomes more user-friendly i could see this becoming pretty awesome tho :O

edit: that and Dolphin is better....

metaphysicist

Smash Cadet
THAT IS REALLY REALLY OLD.

What you've been hearing about is the Dolphin emulator.

Here's a vid of melee online
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GawL-8YQTUA
Sorry boss, nothing came up when I searched :p

This is cool, I'd heard of Dolphin but I didn't know it had Netplay. I'm surprised that computers can already reasonably emulated Gamecube though, I'd like to know what the minimum to recommended system requirements are.

EDIT: Dug up the requirements if anyone is interested. Not too bad, I think even I can manage that.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows (2000/XP/Vista or higher) / Linux / Apple Mac OS X (Intel version).
* Processor: Any Fast CPU with SSE2 supported (recommended at least 2Ghz). Dual Core for speed boost. use cpu-z to see if your cpu supports it( and google cpu-z dont ask us!)
* Graphics: Any graphics card that supports Direct3D 9 or OpenGL 2.1.

The Dolphin forums even has a thread with a three recommended builds, going from around 500-1500, all very nice! machines.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i think that a lot of people will be instantly attracted to online melee, though

everybody has always loved the competitive game, and tournaments and all that. they don't have to gradually become attracted to the online scene, like in 64

IMO

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
A good deal of people only play Brawl because of wi-fi.

It'd become popular pretty fast, I'd imagine.

Sanu

Smash Champion
I'd probably jump on the bandwagon, provided I have the proper PC cojones.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Recent Dolphins have netplay built in, but I am unsure how well it works. The one in that video was an altered Dolphin with Kaillera, the newer ones don't use Kaillera [probably because they want it on every system].

I need to get MattNF to rematch using a newer Dolphin. I overclocked my CPU recently [to 3.26Ghz] so Dolphin should run much better.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I can't belive you posted the phsychotic worm tutorial. Plus 1.0 is mad rare, I had the people at gamestop look through all 40 of their melee discs, and they were ALL 1.2

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
wouldnt like the slightest lag ruin your ATs? hows the lag on this? :\

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
The best N64 emulator isn't perfect. You can just imagine how difficult the GCN has been. So online play or not, good luck even L-canceling.

Victawr

Smash Cadet
I had some trouble with dolphin at first.. Like, having to change my language to German then back before a game could start.

It runs fine, actually. I have to crank everything or else it runs too fast. Got a 3.6GHz processor and a kickass GPU, so that solves it all.

I liked the kaillera one much better than the new one. I played a few matches online with kaillera, and my friend had his GC controller rigged to his computer, so it was pretty sweet. Lag on the shoulder buttons though

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I've wanted this for a while and will joyfully hop on board if this kinda thing goes into full swing with perfect emulation and unnoticable lag. I have a hard time believing lagless is possible though, and I played on a HD tv recently and boy was it awful... lag throws all the timing you've practiced out the window fast.

P.S. I too have a 1.0 copy of melee in working condition (flame canceling FTW)

Spife

Smash Master
I too would bandwagon this so hard so fast.
I might needa new computer though >.>

metaphysicist

Smash Cadet
So I tried doing Dolphin on my iMac. The current Mac port is nothing but a pain in the ***. Due to some parsing error, it can't load some of the files necessary to run the games... something with a graphics .dll if I recall. So I finally went through the trouble of getting Windows going with Bootcamp, and I tried out the Windows version. It started off not too bad, it kind of bounced between 40-60 FPS as I did the first 1v1 in classic mode. And then... around 9 FPS in the first 2v2. This is with a 2.00 GHz, Dual Core im pretty sure.. Radeon X1600 GPU. I feel like this isn't a bad rig, and was surprised it ran so poorly, but I'm unsure just how much of my resources the BootCamp BIOS emulation uses.

MattNF

Smash Lord
So I tried doing Dolphin on my iMac. The current Mac port is nothing but a pain in the ***. Due to some parsing error, it can't load some of the files necessary to run the games... something with a graphics .dll if I recall. So I finally went through the trouble of getting Windows going with Bootcamp, and I tried out the Windows version. It started off not too bad, it kind of bounced between 40-60 FPS as I did the first 1v1 in classic mode. And then... around 9 FPS in the first 2v2. This is with a 2.00 GHz, Dual Core im pretty sure.. Radeon X1600 GPU. I feel like this isn't a bad rig, and was surprised it ran so poorly, but I'm unsure just how much of my resources the BootCamp BIOS emulation uses.
lol macs

2.0ghz is kind of average for gaming I think

my specs are:

3.2ghz Core2duo (can be overclocked to 4.2ghz)
4GB RAM
9800GT 512MB
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

runs melee and brawl with a 16x anisotropic filter and 16xQ CSAA antialiasing at 1920x1080 resolution with a steady 60fps

dolphin is getting optimized constantly though, so in future versions it'll be much easier to run

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
No; it shouldn't. ATs are based on muscle memory. Most of them anyway. You might have trouble wavelanding at first.
for me it is muscle memory sort of, but i guess i also use a lot of visual cues too. using my own controller on a different TV i mess up my ATs so much more, when i can pretty much do them perfect on my TV. but maybe for others its different.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I hope Melee doesn't become near-solely PC based in terms of tourneys D:

demodemo

Smash Ace
except brawl is brawl and melee is melee

i have trouble playing on an lcd tv with 1-3 frames of lag. playing online would be impossible for me :(

Top Bottom