• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online lag and connection Solutions PLEASE READ

Cosmonaut213

Smash Rookie
To prevent massive posting of how people's internet does not work try these different methods of troubleshooting...it just seems to me that not many people try to find help from the source and I can pretty much say that these methods are pretty solid..even a subsection made for brawl.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/online.jsp

If your problem comes from an error code..then I suggest use this FAQ

http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board/message?board.id=wii_internet&thread.id=991

My experience- Okay first of all I got a 2wire wireless router and when I first played smash games using wireless...it was LAGGY it made molasses look lightning quick or it just freezes..bah bad bad juju..Then I did some research on the internet and found and Ideal little box that would make all the problems go away

it is a 3rd party system but IT WORKS I AM FRIGGIN' SERIOUS IT REALLY DOES WORK AND I AM USUALLY SKEPTICAL...so here it is

wii LAN adapter

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=802615

this is just the picture and you do not have to buy it from them...(I bought mine from Best Buy)

The proof is in the pudding since I hook that up to my router since it is a multi port and it runs like a dream ^^ You will log off sometimes (but that will be the fault of the other player) and it easy to hookup to granted you have multiport.

SO I hope this helps and maybe I think I will request a sticky as well from the admins and mods.

LeeTKaN

Smash Rookie
Wait, what does the LAN adapter actually do?
Basically, you can directly connect the wii to your router with an e-net cable instead of depending on wireless internet. Should create less lag in gameplay, but i dont know for sure ive never tried it.

Online for me has been rather random. Some games will lag, some won't.. just depends on who your connecting too i guess in my case.

Cosmonaut213

Smash Rookie
@ Ri-To

I am glad that this has helped you and hopefully it can help more people soon to come.

@Deathwish238

The .5 second lag is due to the fact that somebody has a slower connection than you..(that is the case with me) you can check your connection with a friend and you can see the color of the circle. Green=is ok Red =poor Orange= so-so (blue? = REALLY IDEAL!)

only reason for blue is because I heard of this on a forum so I can not confirm it...any confirmation would be ideal....

Wireless COMPLETELY SUCKED for me anyways and I got the adapter and as I said it runs like a dream! some of my friends wireless are okay others may not be. you may get an interference from another signal or not. It really depends but Adapter connects directly and I never had a problem with it. usually 85-90% of my games are Lag-free...

the other 10-15% are from people with crummy connections

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I got one, I have had a spotless connection with some, but I still lag whenever I connect to someone with bad internet.

So, My Wii can go into real-time because of it, but I still have to wait for others.

Jonaconda

Smash Rookie
I also own one, picked it up when I bought my Wii. I definitely recommend snagging one of these for anyone who lives in an apartment/dorm setting where there's a greater chance for interference. I've currently got a 360 and a Wii both running on wired connections to some NetGear multiport, wireless router I purchased at BB, and if my 360 experience is any indication, you definitely want to go wired if you space and setup permits.

Just remember that if you're using a laptop or something else that has a wifi capability to turn it off, because it'll siphon your bandwidth. Then again, these are all things I've learned from random experimentation in my apartment, I'm by no means a networking pro, so if any IT guys out there want to weigh in on this, I'll gladly stand corrected. Anyhow, these things have worked for me, but I'm still getting lag online.

I suspect it's Nintendo's infrastructure. I've got AT&T's fastest DSL connection available, and by comparison, my Call of Duty 4 sessions with buddies on the 360 have been much smoother than "With Anyone" Smashing.

Cosmonaut213

Smash Rookie
yea it is finding some people is the only issue because i heard that nintendo are improving their servers at WFC to help improve the traffic.

2syk

Smash Rookie
well i've actually taken all of these steps. i have tried every technique i know to get this game to connect to other players. Currently i am on wireless with 3 bars with all reccomended ports open (including all udp ports). Now it will connect to wiiconnect and it will work with spectating games. I actually find a game to spectate in less than a second. But when i choose to anyone brawl or team brawl, no matter wat settings (item, stage, character, name) i do not find opponents. ever. i've had a few friends (one works at macs, other builds custom pc's for a living), but none of us can figure out wat the problem is. Once again to reiterate, everything works fine, except connecting/finding other people to play. Have not tried friends yet because no one is at home, but i will try and update as soon as i do. Any suggestions as to wat might be the problem would be greatly appreciated.

edit: linksys wrt54gs with firmware 1.52.2

flyingmule

Smash Cadet
I tried it, but there is no noticable change. Some worse than average, some better than average. Unless my network is blocking udp traffic, but I don't think it is.

Placebo?

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
well i've actually taken all of these steps. i have tried every technique i know to get this game to connect to other players. Currently i am on wireless with 3 bars with all reccomended ports open (including all udp ports). Now it will connect to wiiconnect and it will work with spectating games. I actually find a game to spectate in less than a second. But when i choose to anyone brawl or team brawl, no matter wat settings (item, stage, character, name) i do not find opponents. ever. i've had a few friends (one works at macs, other builds custom pc's for a living), but none of us can figure out wat the problem is. Once again to reiterate, everything works fine, except connecting/finding other people to play. Have not tried friends yet because no one is at home, but i will try and update as soon as i do. Any suggestions as to wat might be the problem would be greatly appreciated.

edit: linksys wrt54gs with firmware 1.52.2
As far as the "Spectator" mode on the Wi-Fi connection goes, there will never be lag. This is because all you are doing is temporarily downloading a match (which takes up no more than 1 block of data), and watching it.

Vanusk

Smash Rookie
I have wireless, a modem and a router, I can easily get a wired connection (wii is on the other side of the room) do I just need an ethernet cable or ?

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
Yes, all you need is a Cat5e cable, and the Wii USB LAN adapter, of course. The Cat5 is pretty cheap, and the USB LAN adapter will run you about 20 bucks. I've been thinking about getting one, myself...

Murdock

Smash Rookie
Yea when I play ii get around 1 friggin' second of delay so really brawl online is pointless for me, but with this i can play delay free? Or at least alot faster?

MarvinTPA

Smash Cadet
ah, my last reply attempted lagged like mad.
Yes, the adapter on the first page works wonders with friends, but more than 2 players is lag madness.
(in case i'm not clear, 2 player is perfect.)
you simply have to restart your router (i mean completely restart, must be powered OFF not just disable the internet...ed) every time you want to use your computer's internet again, but that's fine with me.

...In case you guys can't tell by the picture (or i'm just being thick) the router on page 1 comes with the ethernet cable required (it says on the box!)

Why can't i do "with anyone"? is it my NAT settings?

Cosmonaut213

Smash Rookie
I will add a video on how to install the LAN adapter and install another video for those of you who are wondering if it works.

DanteSmash7

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't get it. Nintendo doesn't recognizes it. Not only that but that very link shows people who updated their wii and go problems. I would go with Wifi. Or a made Nintendo product. Buy at your own risk.

Nemireck

Smash Cadet
Online play is always going to have some level of lag. The Lan Adapter HELPS, but does not fix all the problems. The most important thing is how far away you live from the other players in the game,.

absox

Smash Rookie
wired isn't gonna be much faster than wireless i'd say... i mean 802.11g runs at 54 mbps... that's plenty of bandwidth... i mean your internet's probably not that fast.

Top Bottom