• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Angers

BlasterMaster64

Smash Rookie
I love the online feature, but I've never been so angry at a Smash Bros. game in my life. Whenever I go online, I'm usually fighting a terrible Smash player who doesn't know any better, so he just uses the top characters. Little Mac, Bowser, the works. I wouldn't mind too much, but the problem is, they spam. Alot. I like to play regularly, but when i fight them, all they do is use the same exact attacks over and over and over again. Just today, I fought a Bowser Jr. that used the EXACT same patterns. Recovery, forward b, b, recovery. And guess what? My characters don't fair well against this. If you're gonna use these characters, that's completely fine. But just stop spamming.

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I love the online feature, but I've never been so angry at a Smash Bros. game in my life. Whenever I go online, I'm usually fighting a terrible Smash player who doesn't know any better, so he just uses the top characters. Little Mac, Bowser, the works. I wouldn't mind too much, but the problem is, they spam. Alot. I like to play regularly, but when i fight them, all they do is use the same exact attacks over and over and over again. Just today, I fought a Bowser Jr. that used the EXACT same patterns. Recovery, forward b, b, recovery. And guess what? My characters don't fair well against this. If you're gonna use these characters, that's completely fine. But just stop spamming.
If you know their unerring pattern of attack, are you beating them? You should be. You know what's going to happen.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Some characters have optimal playstyles and every game usually has these kinds of characters that people call "lame". Its definitely beatable, but takes extra effort. I can see where that part is frustrating. You probably want to play a "clean" game of smash, but you have to put your brain into work mode when you need to try to beat these kinds of characters.

That's just how it is with some games unfortunately. But hey, if you start to learn to beat these kinds of playstyles, spanking people who do this feels pretty satisfying.

Artificialignorance

Smash Rookie
I've fought many players that spam a ton of stuff too. I learned ways around it.

Learn their playstyle, I fought a player that kept using diddy's grab and up throw and trying to up air me until I died. It didn't work cause I'd find a way to counter back with tilts or projectiles.

Change up your playstyle. If they seem to attack a lot, play defensive just block a move or roll out of the way and then punish them for constantly throwing out attacks.

Even if they pick overused characters and you don't like it, it's not going to stop them, people will use whatever character they want. It can even give you opportunities on how to learn how to fight that certain character in case you fight more players that do the same thing as previous players you've battled against. Just keep playing more and more matches. And you also can't tell the other person to just stop spamming, cause they probably won't stop spamming knowing that their spamming ways are frustrating you and making you lose your cool. (or cause they can't hear you on the other side) People are gonna play how they want to play, it may be frustrating, but there are ways around it, you just gotta figure out what to do during the match. Best of luck to you.

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
Just because they don't know any better it doesn't mean their drive to win or the methods they use are less respectable than yours. If one lacks the expertise and skill to get combo after combo and thinks he may win by spamming moves, who are we to not just despise, but judge people on that? If people play to win, they're going to go for what they believe is optimal for such a goal. I don't like spammers, but that doesn't entitle me to criticize a strategy that, going for your post, works.

BlasterMaster64

Smash Rookie
I understand what you guys mean. But I'm the kind of Smash player that likes clean battles. Thanks for your advice and constructive criticism! I hope I learn from this and improve my playing

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
I understand what you guys mean. But I'm the kind of Smash player that likes clean battles. Thanks for your advice and constructive criticism! I hope I learn from this and improve my playing
I'd suggest you try this: accept that it's another way of playing.
When dubbing your style 'clean', you're obviously denigrating the spammers', which ironically seems to be getting on your nerves. Perhaps this judgement is clouding your vision when facing such an opponent? I believe your problems may come from a stand of 'game moral' superiority and failure to realize that spammers play to win, not to annoy you. I'm sure that if you leave the belittling aside for a match you'll do much better! Especially with effing Duck Hunt Duo, an objective moving at constant direction and speed as Jr. does with Side B shouldn't touch you.
Good luck, and keep us informed!

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
It's just irritating fighting people who do nothing but roll dodge when not attacking. The frame for punishment for roll-dodge spammers is so small that it's getting real old, real fast when playing online.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Not that I get angry but, I really dislike constant rollers. It just makes the match boring & longer then usual. Still punishable, but not as rewarding like previous iterations.

Spirst

There's always a way to punish predictable play of that caliber. However, this falls on the part of the player. If you can't beat it, then you're doing something wrong. Analyzing it is one thing, acting upon it is another. I know you said your character doesn't fair well against this but when it comes to something like blatant spam, it's more of a psychological foresight issue as opposed to a character restriction.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Soooo tired of complainers whining about spammers and campers and spammy csmpers and camping spammers..... all I hear is people being butthurt because a "spamming player beat me" and they cannot hack it. I'm not going to even bother with advice and telling you to punish the spammer since you obviously already know their pattern, that's half the battle. All these threads are the same.

Could I avoid these threads and not post? Sure. But then I wouldn't be reading 3/4s of the thread lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom