• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

onGamers Interviews Ken and KoreanDJ

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
onGamers, the recently launched CBSi initiative to cover the eSports scene, has posted an interview with Ken "The King of Smash" Hoang and Daniel "KoreanDJ" Jung. Both Ken and KoreanDJ recently joined the Pro Gaming team "Team Liquid" in a move that places Super Smash Brothers Melee as the premier fighting game going into the summer. Evil Genius currently supports Street Fighter and Marvel players as the only other eSports organization interested in the fighting game scene. Whether other eSports organizations, like EG or Complexity, will pick up Smash players remains to be seen.

In the onGamers interview, Ken and KoreanDJ talk about the golden age of Smash - 2005-2007, the Smash documentary, and how things have changed in the last 7 years since they moved on from the scene. When asked if they could catch up, both Ken and KoreanDJ showed defiance:

"Hoang: I don't feel that I am too much behind. I feel like I can catch up pretty quickly. Many have said that the meta game has changed a lot since I left, however this game doesn't have any patches like SC2 or Brood War does. It's the same game when I left, people overall have just gotten better since everything is out there. I still think it's the same game I just have to be able to adapt and read people . Also known as Mind Games

Jung: I feel the metagame has changed quite a bit, so it will be very interesting to play and challenge that metagame in the future. I think the thing setting me back the most was lack of current tournament experience, so this is the perfect opportunity for me to go ahead and get that experience."

Both players feel the current top characters are Fox and Falco, but believe Marth, Peach, and Sheik are strong threats. Read the full onGamers interview by going here and see what other questions they have to answer! Both players are excited to be able to participate in this summers huge upcoming tournaments, including MLG Anaheim and EVO 2014.

Source: onGamers.com, Teamliquidpro.com

Last edited by a moderator:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It's gonna be REALLY interesting to see how far these 2 are able to go in the upcoming summer tournaments... Not expecting them to win it all but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them pull off some upsets vs some of the current powerhouses.

Mongoose132

Smash Rookie
onGamers, the recently launched CBSi initiative to cover the eSports scene, has posted an interview with Ken "The King of Smash" Hoang and Daniel "KoreanDJ" Jung. Both Ken and KoreanDJ recently joined the Pro Gaming team "Team Liquid" in a move that places Super Smash Brothers Melee as the premier fighting game going into the summer. Evil Genius currently supports Street Fighter and Marvel players as the only other eSports organization interested in the fighting game scene. Whether other eSports organizations, like EG or Complexity, will pick up Smash players remains to be seen.

In the onGamers interview, Ken and KoreanDJ talk about the golden age of Smash - 2005-2007, the Smash documentary, and how things have changed in the last 7 years since they moved on from the scene. When asked if they could catch up, both Ken and KoreanDJ showed defiance:

"Hoang: I don't feel that I am too much behind. I feel like I can catch up pretty quickly. Many have said that the meta game has changed a lot since I left, however this game doesn't have any patches like SC2 or Brood War does. It's the same game when I left, people overall have just gotten better since everything is out there. I still think it's the same game I just have to be able to adapt and read people . Also known as Mind Games

Jung: I feel the metagame has changed quite a bit, so it will be very interesting to play and challenge that metagame in the future. I think the thing setting me back the most was lack of current tournament experience, so this is the perfect opportunity for me to go ahead and get that experience."

Both players feel the current top characters are Fox and Falco, but believe Marth, Peach, and Sheik are strong threats. Read the full onGamers interview by going here and see what other questions they have to answer! Both players are excited to be able to participate in this summers huge upcoming tournaments, including MLG Anaheim and EVO 2014.

Source: onGamers.com, Teamliquidpro.com
PC Chris?
... where'd you go?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
All I want to see is both of them in doubles making a double gimp, at the same time, in the beginning of a round.

That is it.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Coming to a GF near you: Ken and DJ are at their peak!
'Family Liquid' will be flying everywhere this season.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I like KDJ's response more. Anyway, why are we celebrating such dinosaurs like Ken and KDJ? They were great, but M2K bopped Ken at EVO, Ken lost to Darrell (Samus main who actually is good but C'mon). I feel like the documentary was great for bringing out the old pros, but it also feels like the old pros are now trying to fit in with the new crowd and show their prowess and live up to the hype created by the documentary.

K.Louis

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0421-0500
I like KDJ's response more. Anyway, why are we celebrating such dinosaurs like Ken and KDJ? They were great, but M2K bopped Ken at EVO, Ken lost to Darrell (Samus main who actually is good but C'mon). I feel like the documentary was great for bringing out the old pros, but it also feels like the old pros are now trying to fit in with the new crowd and show their prowess and live up to the hype created by the documentary.
Evo Ken was terribad and rusty. He took out HMW, MacD, and Fly Aminita quite a few months after that and placed 9th at SCR, all while still being inactive.

KDJ unlike Ken has actually been competing and ruling the Boston/Mass area and almost took out M2K a few weeks ago.

Besides, sponsorships aren't just about tournament results, they're about positive representation of the brand and community.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Evo Ken was terribad and rusty. He took out HMW, MacD, and Fly Aminita quite a few months after that and placed 9th at SCR, all while still being inactive.

KDJ unlike Ken has actually been competing and ruling the Boston/Mass area and almost took out M2K a few weeks ago.

Besides, sponsorships aren't just about tournament results, they're about positive representation of the brand and community.
KDJ is a great choice though, not Ken in my opinion. I know the brand wants big memorable names, but Armada, M2K, and maybe Dr.PP would be fine people to represent the community.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
KDJ is a great choice though, not Ken in my opinion. I know the brand wants big memorable names, but Armada, M2K, and maybe Dr.PP would be fine people to represent the community.
Those players are already sponsored, though. Might as well share the support with other players!

Suli Hyuga

Smash Cadet
I think it's awesome that Ken is making a comeback. I seriously hope that e-sports and FGC don't merge together because of teams like Liquid adding Fighting Games to their roster. I never liked the e-sports community as a whole and I still don't. It's like putting ketchup (e-sports) ontop of icecream (FGC). Ketchup is good to some people more than others, but everyone like ice cream since there are thousands of flavors(i.e. multiple fighting games out there as opposed to LOL, DOTA, SC2 and COD). Put ketchup ontop of any of those flavours and you get something horribad....

Acryte

Smash Ace
It's like putting ketchup (e-sports) ontop of icecream (FGC). Ketchup is good to some people more than others, but everyone like ice cream since there are thousands of flavors(i.e. multiple fighting games out there as opposed to LOL, DOTA, SC2 and COD). Put ketchup ontop of any of those flavours and you get something horribad....
uuugh what?

If I can understand what was just said... you said that e-sports isn't diverse, and when you put what's not diverse into what's diverse you get something horrible, but I thought you'd just get a diverse e-sports -_- ... I guess 2+2 can equal something other than 4 at some point.

Last edited:

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
Who the heck are Hoang and Jung? O__o

lol, jk. But seriously, don't go around moaning about how these guys are old and we shouldn't be rooting for them or some crap like that. This is like the world is finally admitting that Smash Bros is, in fact, a legit major-league fighting game, up there with StartCraft, Mortal Kombat, Dota, Call of Duty, Tekken, Halo, etc. Let's face it, nobody outside of the Smash community brings up Smash Bros when they talk about major league gaming. Assuming this trend continues - and I firmly believe it will - a new age of Smash will begin, possibly rivaling the Golden Age itself.

So what if some old guys are a part of it? Does it matter that they've "had they're day"? Can they not learn new moves? From here on, Smash is literally their job, more so than it ever has been for anyone, and with this kind of endorsement there is no backing out when the crowd starts booing or playing badly just cause you're "not feeling it." They are a part of something greater then themselves individually now, and that will affect their mindsets in different ways.

On top of that, I'm actually excited to see some old talent come back to play. Smash has literally been these guys' lives since almost day one, and they've gotten a bit older and a bit wiser since then. Who knows what we can learn from them? And we already know they're not going to dominate like they did back then. Their presence and competition will bring new names to the top, and the Smash world will grow larger and stronger.

Phew. That was pretty long-winded of me. And I'm not even getting paid for this. xD

Top Bottom