• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One-Slot PSA combo won't load AttackS4S animation (t-stance)...

KamiSquad_X

Smash Rookie
NNID
WaveDashX77

So this psa only has one costume with an alternate moveset (costume 5).
All the moves are working just fine on all costumes, except for AttackS4S on costume 5... Even AttackS4Start loads up and goes into AttackS4Hold just fine!, but when the held forward smash is released, he goes into t-stance. for some reason this attack doesn't seem to want to load up. its not like the animation is missing from the motionetc.pac or renamed incorrectly in psa. everything seems to check out, like all of the other moves. im trying to get Sub Action 58 to go to Sub Action 1E. The download has Sub Action 58 pointing to Sub Action C4 as a test to see if it will load up a new subaction with the regular default AttackS4S animation. and yes it still fails. so clearly into not my animation missing or anything. it has to be something to do with how the forward smash works or something. What could be causing this issue?

D

Deleted member

So this psa only has one costume with an alternate moveset (costume 5).
All the moves are working just fine on all costumes, except for AttackS4S on costume 5... Even AttackS4Start loads up and goes into AttackS4Hold just fine!, but when the held forward smash is released, he goes into t-stance. for some reason this attack doesn't seem to want to load up. its not like the animation is missing from the motionetc.pac or renamed incorrectly in psa. everything seems to check out, like all of the other moves. im trying to get Sub Action 58 to go to Sub Action 1E. The download has Sub Action 58 pointing to Sub Action C4 as a test to see if it will load up a new subaction with the regular default AttackS4S animation. and yes it still fails. so clearly into not my animation missing or anything. it has to be something to do with how the forward smash works or something. What could be causing this issue?
Make sure that the animation name is spelled perfectly, everything has to match up. Also make sure that the Subaction ID is translated into Hex, so, Subaction 24 in Decimal is really Subaction 18 in Hex and vice versa. Also, make sure that you don't use Brawlbox for moveset hacking (unless you like rebuilding your character from scratch over and over again).
Furthermore, make sure that your references are correct, make it redirect to an unused move slot, and give that slot a name with is the exact same as the animation of choice, furthermore, make sure that said animation actually exists on the motionetc.pac file and that you didn't forget to save.

I hope I helped.

KamiSquad_X

Smash Rookie
NNID
WaveDashX77
Make sure that the animation name is spelled perfectly, everything has to match up. Also make sure that the Subaction ID is translated into Hex, so, Subaction 24 in Decimal is really Subaction 18 in Hex and vice versa. Also, make sure that you don't use Brawlbox for moveset hacking (unless you like rebuilding your character from scratch over and over again).
Furthermore, make sure that your references are correct, make it redirect to an unused move slot, and give that slot a name with is the exact same as the animation of choice, furthermore, make sure that said animation actually exists on the motionetc.pac file and that you didn't forget to save.

I hope I helped.
Why would i need to convert the subaction to hex?

What has been working so far is:
Code:
If Compare: LA-Basic[54] == 5
       Synchronous Timer: frames=0.001
       Change Subaction: sub action=XX
Else
       *Normal coding*
EndIf
Then in sub action XX, it has the proper coding, animation name and animation flag like all the other added animations. but no animation gets loaded up for the forward smash release (AttackS4S).
is there a file size limit to the FitCharacterMotionEtc.pac?

D

Deleted member

Why would i need to convert the subaction to hex?

What has been working so far is:
Code:
If Compare: LA-Basic[54] == 5
       Synchronous Timer: frames=0.001
       Change Subaction: sub action=XX
Else
       *Normal coding*
EndIf
Then in sub action XX, it has the proper coding, animation name and animation flag like all the other added animations. but no animation gets loaded up for the forward smash release (AttackS4S).
is there a file size limit to the FitCharacterMotionEtc.pac?
I am referring to the related numbers themselves, not the text.
What you're showing me seems good, though. I'd advise just starting over with a new .pac file if it still isn't working. I remember that my Shadow would always have a 50/50 chance of crashing the game when using his Forward Smash (coincidence?), so I had to start over from scratch.

Here's a link for non-corrupted files

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
There's no limit for the number of animations, but there's a limit for the filesize, which is different for each character. The motion and the pac/pcs files use the same memory. But that's not the problem. If you exceed the memory, your game will crash instantly, which is not the case.

Hexadecimal values are used in psa, decimal in brawlbox.

Your code is fine, though that sync timer is not necessary. About the subaction name, check for capital letters. They must be the same as the animation name. And also, where did you place that code?

D

Deleted member

There's no limit for the number of animations, but there's a limit for the filesize, which is different for each character. The motion and the pac/pcs files use the same memory. But that's not the problem. If you exceed the memory, your game will crash instantly, which is not the case.

Hexadecimal values are used in psa, decimal in brawlbox.

Your code is fine, though that sync timer is not necessary. About the subaction name, check for capital letters. They must be the same as the animation name. And also, where did you place that code?
I think he said it was for AttackS4S.

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
I actually downloaded his files and saw there are changes of subactions in every subaction of the side smash.
Despite that, I tested the animation in wait1 and attack11's subaction, and it works. It's indeed something related to the side smash, but this is odd. I've done this before and this didn't happen. My guess was that Falco was leaving the ground and the side smash action had no defined subaction for mid-air, causing this. I removed the moves character and it stills happens. However, there's no movement in the TransN, so it would make no sense if that was the cause. Also doesn't seem to be a corrupt file because the original animation of S4S doesn't work.
I don't have time to make more tests. The only wrong thing I noticed is how fast your changing the subactions. By changing that fast, your gfx, sfx and other tab most likely won't be read, and the original s4s subaction's ones will be used instead. If you're getting the results you wanted, that's just luck.

D

Deleted member

I actually downloaded his files and saw there are changes of subactions in every subaction of the side smash.
Despite that, I tested the animation in wait1 and attack11's subaction, and it works. It's indeed something related to the side smash, but this is odd. I've done this before and this didn't happen. My guess was that Falco was leaving the ground and the side smash action had no defined subaction for mid-air, causing this. I removed the moves character and it stills happens. However, there's no movement in the TransN, so it would make no sense if that was the cause. Also doesn't seem to be a corrupt file because the original animation of S4S doesn't work.
I don't have time to make more tests. The only wrong thing I noticed is how fast your changing the subactions. By changing that fast, your gfx, sfx and other tab most likely won't be read, and the original s4s subaction's ones will be used instead. If you're getting the results you wanted, that's just luck.
Well if the original can't even be read, then it is corrupt. Sometimes when files get corrupted, they can have a plethora of effects. From moves not working, losing animations, grabs glitching out (either polygon explosions or being stuck in the prior animation), or even the screen going black and T-Posing at the results screen. If the other ones are working fine except for the Forward Smash despite doing the same thing as with the rest of them, I'd honestly just start over from scratch with an uncorrupted file from the link I sent you. I use those base files to create my characters in Reborn, so I'm certain they'll help you too.

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
I meant if you change the subaction while performing forward smash to another subaction with the exact same animation, it doesn't work. But does work if if perform the side smash without changing it. I think your point is valid, though. There's no reason to not test it in a fresh psa file, but that's up to Kami now. I've experienced weird bugs too, like Dolphin not working with directX while my character was in battle. Was an amusing afternoon. This polygon explosion stuff happened to me when messing with vertex morphing and when setting the bone scale to 0.
It's good to note that brawlbox, sometimes, corrupt motion files too. It's rare, but not impossible. If you close brawlbox/psa everytime after you save, chances of getting your file corrupted lower significantly.

Top Bottom