• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One Piece

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I like the fact that Oda doesn't want to kill anybody unless it's "necessary."

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Thing is though, there have been so many situations in OP where a character should be dead. Yeah, Oda gets to decide via plot who lives or dies, but not everyone should end up in the hospital, unconscious, or somehow cured of whatever disease they have.

If anything, I figure it could help in Luffy's development. Seeing Ace die definitely devastated him. It was his first "failure" unless you count Shanks losing his arm. He's been a pirate for what? 3-4 years? It doesn't have to be death, but adding a bit more failure should be interesting in how his character is tested. It won't even be like Naruto, where everything ends up fine, because he "believes". Sometimes, no matter how much you believe, **** happens as seen what happened to Neji.

BBQTV

Smash Master
everything from sabody archipelago all the way to time skip is nothing but failure after failure for luffy

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
See, but if all these people had died, who is going to fight with him in the great war at the end?

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Some had been necessary from a One Piece world point of view. Why was every one scared of Crocodile's bomb in Arabasta is Pell could literally survive it at point blanc range? Bon Clay was supposed to sacrifice himself for Luffy and Company... but if in the end he's fine then what did the sacrifice mean? Nothing, really.

oda doesn't kill people so he has plenty of options for title-page mini-stories \o/
Eh, that's a horrible reason. There are hundreds upon hundreds of characters that would be perfect for front page arcs; some of the unimportant ones can die and make the world as scary as it should be.

I'd argue that Pell and Bon Clay should have been "necessary".
Agreed completely.

everything from sabody archipelago all the way to time skip is nothing but failure after failure for luffy
Not all failures, but for being in the New World where every one says it's a living hell... no one has died. That is very odd. Hell, more people died in Luffy's hometown than the New World so far.

See, but if all these people had died, who is going to fight with him in the great war at the end?
He all ready has a lot of people who are not on the verge of death that will readily fight with him (Jimbei, Marco and the rest of the Old Whitebeards, the Rosy Life Riders, most every one in Fishman Island and Amazon Lily, etc.) He certainly has enough and will only gather more when the time comes.

but bon clay is alive
He shouldn't be. The sweet, gay prince of the seas should be sleeping with the fishes.

BBQTV

Smash Master
all of sabody archipelago to time skip was a huge trauma conga line for luffy

monet died

also they just got to the new world so please relax

for the weak pirates it will be like a hell but for pirates who are strong they will be warm and snugly like the 4 emperors

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
Um, all of them? Sorachi knows what he's doing, everybody dies for a reason and he wouldn't want to cheapen any of their deaths.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
...it's Gintama, though.

*holds up his hands.*

Fair enough. I don't even really have an opinion about Oda not killing off any of the characters.

Smooth Criminal

Virgilijus

BRoomer
The build up for what's going to happen next is quite good.

I'm now pondering why Law would want Doflamingo to not be a shichibukai... a lot of potential reasons...

Beat!

Smash Master
Looks like someone got LAW-yered. :cool:

First time I've seen Dofla legitimately scared, unless I'm forgetting some event way back. This could be interesting.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
His yelling face was very, very uncharacteristic of him.

Law either wants a new spot in the Shichibukai for some one else to enter (I feel this is doubtful) or wants Doflamingo to be out so that he can fight him without government repercussions (much more likely). Doing this might spur Kaidou into doing something that puts him at risk. That's my best guess for now (unless he teams up with Doflamingo, which seems nigh impossible).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
One friend told me that Doflamingo probably doesn't have Ceasar's "I'm just pretending to get along with you" attitude. he's likely to be an actual good, very capable leader who cares about his crew but happens to be evil.

The more chapters run, the more I believe that could be right....

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I don't doubt for a second that Doflamingo actually loves the members of his crew (I would say Caesar isn't a member, more so a tool he's using and doesn't make any bones about it). But so far when his crew have been in positions of death or severe injury (Vergo, Monet, Baby 5, Buffalo), he's actually been quite sincere and thankful to them unlike the other bloodthirsty villains.

In a sense you could say he has a good heart but a wicked mind.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I agree, but asking a crew member to, say, sacrifice their own life to kill an enemy, is not something someone like Luffy would ever do. Doflamingo has qualms, but I don't think the well-being of his crew is more important to him than his goals are.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So Doflamingo is simply that much powerful, huh.
Straight to Dressrosa, no time to lose.
Also, Kuzan vs Doflamingo, if happens, will be offscreen.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yay! i like how the stories are all linked now. hodi jones and caesar clown were weak villains, but they are just a buildup for big mum and kaidou.

Top Bottom