• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One or more mains for a noob?

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Im a noob and just started playing online. The only 2 people I really get to play with in real life are my brother and a friend. I know I'm bad (but I don't think im "terrible") and I'm trying to improve. I was wondering if I should focus on my favorite character, focus on a few of my favorite characters, or play using alot of characters to learn all their techniques.

Diddy is my favorite character and I plan on maining him. I've learned most of his ATs and stuff like that. I also like to play as Game and Watch and DK.

So: Should I focus on those 3, just one of them, or just play with alot of characters if I'm looking to get better at this game.

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot/already a topic that I couldn't find/I'm a noob

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Learn Metaknight.

You should really stick to who ever you're most comfortable with. Both of those characters are really good. I'd suggest Diddy because G&W ***** most of my mains D:

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Im a noob and just started playing online. The only 2 people I really get to play with in real life are my brother and a friend. I know I'm bad (but I don't think im "terrible") and I'm trying to improve. I was wondering if I should focus on my favorite character, focus on a few of my favorite characters, or play using alot of characters to learn all their techniques.

Diddy is my favorite character and I plan on maining him. I've learned most of his ATs and stuff like that. I also like to play as Game and Watch and DK.

So: Should I focus on those 3, just one of them, or just play with alot of characters if I'm looking to get better at this game.

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot/already a topic that I couldn't find/I'm a noob
1: Diddy is a sweet choice, as I use Diddy also.
2: First, find who you are comfortable with. This means try out the whole roster, and see who you like to play. You should have at least a few characters that you like. Next, choose a main. You could use any one of these caracters, or more than one, to main. I hae more than 5 mains, and like 2 secondaries, so you can do whatever. IDK really.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
I think, you should just see how it "evolves" - as long you have fun (+ maybe success) with diddy, stay diddy ;-) .

I think its good to be able to play with all characters until a certain level, just to get a feeling for them if you play against them.

daisho

Smash Lord
First of all, if you like playing all of them play all of them.

But for training, i would just try to get really good with diddy and then maybe play the other two a little.

hcfwesker

Smash Cadet
Most new players strat off with Ike. From what I've seen.

I'm right there with ya ., buddy. Though, with only 1post, you'll probably never come back. Hope yolu do.

But, I'm 30, and have no local friends to play, and all my brawl time comes from wifi games only. And to make it worse, I had a LAGG only connection up until last month.

So, I'm having to relearn the game all over again.

POKE40

Smash Lord
The problem with Diddy is that it takes a lot of experience to get really good with him.
I think G&W is a good way to go.

1) G&W is fast and powerful
2) Easy to handle
3) You learn about spacing more rather than spamming

Go visit the G&W boards to learn more :D

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
The characters you have expressed interest in dk GW and DK
would make a great set of main and secondaries.

I would simply main the one you like the most the most and then make sure to practice with the other two as well. especially as counters to your mains bad matchups

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I thought anything beyond saying "your main is your choice, and only you can choose it" was just opinions and biased comments against certain characters. No one knows what you like better then you, so we have no idea whether you'll enjoy playing Diddy in the long run, or if you can handle 2-3 characters at a time. Just choose what YOU want, what you feel like doing. You should try all the characters out if you haven't already, watch some videos maybe to see if you like the playstyle. Then of course, you have to see if you can actually manage that playstyle; I happen to think Diddy's playstyle is sexy and really cool, but I'm not cut out for that kind of character.

After you get used to the competitive scene, you'll definitely notice what characters you use well and which ones you don't. Perhaps you can use all of them well once you gain decent knowledge, perhaps you can only use one really well.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
To sort of reiterate what's been said, if you've tried out all the characters and decided for sure that these three are your favourites and the ones that suit your style best, then they're the ones to focus on. It's more beneficial to learn a few characters well than a number of them halfassedly.

Oh, and there's a "how to choose your main" thread somewhere. I think it's in the stickies on Tactical.

PolarJunkie

Smash Cadet
The general path my crewmates and I took was through a couple of phases. Pretty simply:

Stage 1: Experiment; try out all of the characters and see who you like.

Stage 2: Once you've got the basic mechanics down and know which characters suit your style, pick a few to focus on. This seems to be the stage where you are. You say you want to main Diddy, and you're also interested in G&W and DK. That's great. Keep your character pool to those three, and make sure to play Diddy more than you do the other two (obviously). DON'T pick up all of the characters all at once. That's just going to stunt your development as a player because you'll have only a superficial understanding of your characters. Ride up your skill level with these three chars first, and then you can move on to...

Stage 3: This is when you start the experimental phase again, only with more experience this time around. You might come to this stage when you've grown heavily in skill and feel like you've hit a plateau (say, you're bored of the three characters you're using and feel like you need something new in your life). The advantage of going through Stage 2 first is that you already have a good enough understanding of the game so that you'll more easily be able to pick up new chars.

So, tl;dr version: Stick with those three chars, but play Diddy more than the other two. When you feel you've got a good grip on the game in general, then think about expanding your character pool. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Generally said, there's a few things to consider.

If you have only ONE character you play with and focus on, your skill with this one character will give you the best results, since you know that character well.

If you have more than one character you play with and focus on, you are able to deal with more situations, however, your skill with these characters will be split depending on how much you play with each.

You can learn the basics with every character, though - even tho some basics are easier done with some characters (i.e. spotdodging is easier to learn with ROB who relies on that a lot, airdodging is learned easier with Wario, etc.).

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Thanks for all the great replies! I'm honestly surprised I didn't get flamed XD. I think I'm going to stick with those three for now, but mainly play with Diddy the most. Thanks again guys.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Haha, you'll only get flamed if you're disruptive, annoying or stupid, and you seem to be none of these. Welcome to SWF, and good luck!

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
i have 3 mains all the time.wolf,bowser,and the third i always switch in and out dependin on how my characters doin.my 3rd now is luigi.even tho i have 3 characters i do fine.better to have diversity.versin people gives u practice.

Redictus

Smash Rookie
And, please, don't let people say; "lul whut u pick that char amigosh u suk k?

Some of my irl friends have said: "Lol you pick Link? Waw, he sucks" when we first played it. Now we fight head on and I usually end up winning.

So go! :D

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
The problem with Diddy is that it takes a lot of experience to get really good with him.
I think G&W is a good way to go.

1) G&W is fast and powerful
2) Easy to handle
3) You learn about spacing more rather than spamming

Go visit the G&W boards to learn more :D
G&W is a really good way. But I think he should try to play with all characters and discover the specific character that he plays well with.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
Another thing is if you really want to be PRO with an specific character, you need to be a dedicated smasher with this character that you choose to be PRO with.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Another thing is if you really want to be PRO with an specific character, you need to be a dedicated smasher with this character that you choose to be PRO with.
Please do not double post.
Use the Edit button at the bottom of your post next time lol your going to get infraction sooner or later :p

Top Bottom