• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One-Handed Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.

AThirdParty

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know the secrets of one-handed melee? I watched a video of Azen doing one-handed melee a while back and it was unbelievable. I'm wanting to start playing like this for fun, looks hilarious. Does anyone know the best grips, etc? I can't even begin to figure out how to do this.

pdk

Smash Lord
i recall someone posting once about using your pinky on the control stick, forget the rest of the details though

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
This would be hard but if you won, it'd be soooo funny! I gotta try this one day against my friends! ^_^

Eaode

Smash Champion
I think one handed smash is usually played with your left hand. Pinky on control stick, ring and middle finger in the d-pad/c-stick gap, index on the buttons and thumb on the c-stick. Dont ask me how to press L/R/Z tho....

T-major

Smash Champion
right hand on the buttons, then use your chin to move the control stick. it puts less strain on your fingures that way... or is using your chin cheating? I dunno...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This is a thread I made like...2 years ago, I haven't updated it in awhile...
ChuDat currently is ahead in our money match one handed streak.
Bomb 4 November 2005 he won 2-1
MLG Orlando August 2006 I won 2-1
CyberConXion September 2006 he won 2-0
C3 February 2007 he won 2-1
We always do his Marth versus my Peach on FD.

Quick update to below post:
At this point I can lcancel most attacks that need Lcanceling with one hand, but my situation is rare because of float canceling. I've also learned to tech attacks with one hand, which is pretty hard to remember to do. Chu and I have progressed to at least attempting to play every character in the game at a decent level with one hand and each of us have beaten some decent two handed opponents using one hand.

The Art of One Handed Smash
Last update: October 1st, 2005

Regular smash was starting to lose its lust for me a little while ago, so after smashing with Chu Dat I decided to give one handed smashing a try. It was against some of my friends who weren't great at the game, and I was tired of beating them so I gave myself a challenge. Beat them one handed.

At first my play was based solely around out smarting them, but after a few matches my technical skill with the characters I picked, primarily Peach, began to improve. There is one thing I can guarantee you, once you get past the first few matches of "How the **** do I recover" it becomes one of the most fun experiences there is.

Now, I wouldn't suggest this for the novice player, because playing one handed makes it very hard to wavedash, l-cancel, or even shield/grab. This is more something to do once you've already gone down the path of advanced play, and want to focus more on mind games.

Hand Position

While it is possible to play both right or left handed, it is through my experience that left handed works best. The easiest position to place your fingers is this.

Left Hand (Prefered)
Control stick-Pinky Finger
Center of controller (or the hole)-Ring Finger
Center of controller (or the hole)-Middle Finger (Also good for X/Y)
X/Y/A/B-Index Finger
C-Stick-Thumb

Right Hand (Not recommended)
Control Pad (C-stick too)-Thumb
Control Stick-Index Finger
Center of Controller (or the hole)-Middle Finger
Center of Controller (or the hole)-Ring Finger
X/Y/A/B-Pinky

There are benefits to playing right handed, because it doesn't require as much reliance on your pinky finger. However (left handed) after a few weeks of playing your pinky finger should improve/become stronger. My left pinky actually has more physical reach then my right one does now.

One key to one handed smash relies on your physical bodies positioning. You may say its useless to have your Middle and Ring finger in the center of the controller cause they aren't doing anything, however in one handed smash stability and hand positioning are key. Those fingers are there for stability. Same thing goes for your leg/lap, its best to totally leave your other hand off the controller, but its okay to use it to stabilize, however it works best to have the controller on your leg. You can also press the controller against your leg to hit the L/R button, but you should break this habit after the first few weeks of playing because it can become a hassle and using only your fingers is ideal.

Also, once you totally get rid of any support from your opposite hand, you can achieve the goal, eating/drinking and smashing at the same time. This is every American's dream as we all know, so with a little work, supreme laziness is possible.

Variations

You may notice that you can't use the L button, R button, or Z button with that layout. When you first begin playing one handed, I would suggest not worrying about this. With more experience, you can eventually use your Pinky finger to reach the L button, and you can shift your Index finger to hit the Z button. One benefit I have noticed of not worrying much about shielding, is that my mind games have improved significantly. Instead of wavedashing for instance, I dash dance.

Now, wavedashing is possible to perform, but it requires a shift in your hand position. You must have your entire hand on the left handle. Then, just jump with the control stick, and dodge and slide the control stick to the proper position. One funny thing is you'll notice sometimes your wavedash is even longer then a two handed wavedash, this is because you are sliding the control stick, and you happen to hit it just below the horizontal line on the control stick.

L-canceling is about as hard as it gets for one handed playing. This is something I am still experimenting with, because as far as I can tell it just requires being very active with your controller. You must slide your Pinky to hit the L button every time you perform an attack, this doesn't sound like much, but it is usually shifting your entire hand in order to hit the button, all in a very small window of time.

Benefits

Aside from better mind games, a new challenge, and a larger depth to play, there is the relaxation. Chu Dat and I had a smash session awhile back, where we were playing one handed and we realized we were the only smashers out there that can do this. It's truly awesome how fun it can become, and really, everyone wants to eat while they play, if you learn this, then you can. I can also play with my right hand, because I was experimenting playing with myself as my own team mate (one controller in each hand). This is pretty much impossible to do however, you practically need two minds. It helps to label the character's Left and Rght though (AZLH, AZRH vs CHUL, CHUR for example).

Characters

Right now there aren't many characters that I can play well one handed. I'm pretty much limited to the characters I practice with, those being Peach, Samus, Sheik, Zelda, Roy, Marth and now Ganon. Characters that don't have much lag after air attacks are good candidates for one handed playing. Also, characters that don't rely on wavedashin (read Mario Brothers), are also good selections. Depending on the character you may need to learn how best to use your fingers. For example, with Samus, to bomb jump, you have to use the control stick and down B, and you must be able to dodge at an angle, and press Z, all in a relatively short amount of time. This takes some skill to master, but with practice it is quite possible.

For right now I don't know what is and isn't possible. The only thing I've pretty much ruled out is extending Samus's grapple. Wall Bombing with Peach is very much possible, as are other things that may seem difficult, like SHL.
old link>>>http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=46845
videos>>>search google video for "alphazelot" misspelled.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I broke a finger in my right hand last week and I've been playing a bit of one handed smash since. It certainly is a lot of fun, and a new challenge. Here's what I've found to be helpful to me.

I hold the controller with my left hand the same way I would hold the controller if my right hand were still functional. But I rest it on my leg for some added support. The advantages of this is great movement, since it's essentially the same as moving two handed. Plus I can use the L button normally too, which makes L-cancels, teching, etc easy. The down side is in attacking, because you sort of have to reach over a bit to get to the other buttons like A, B, and C-stick. (I just jump with the joystick in this configuration) You can even wavedash with a bit of practice like this.

If you have small hands this might not be possible btw, also the biggest downsides to this from what I've seen is recovery. Up-B's are kind of difficult to do, I've been sort of moving my hand over, pressing B with my middle finger and hitting up with the side of my pinkey.

As for characters, marth and ice climbers have worked out wekk due to thier spammable smash attacks and good movement. I prefer marth for his dash dance though really. :)

Cort

Apple Head
lol @ AlphaZealot's guide.

Anyone ever consider playing arcade style 1 handed (putting the controller down on something stable, then having your one hand over it)? That would be crazy.

Elen

Smash Lord
Thats what I tried at first Cort, Alpha's way tends to be a lot easier though. One handed smash ftw.

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
I don't quite understand exactly where the pinky goes, like say which part of your pinky will be over the top of the control stick (say which third of your pinky since you have the end with your finger nail, the mid-digit, and the one closest to your hand). Same thing for the thumb, I'm having some trouble with positioning of the thumb.

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
i cant wait to try 2 on 2 battles with L and R characters... im currently using marth and shiek... but i have trouble with the thinking as 2 simultaneous characters, i keep acting like its a desync'd IC's, and switch off moves, but i do like to do marth/shiek-a-pults...

And can't you use z to l-cancel since its easier to push???

Mechab

Smash Rookie
I need to learn how to do this, badly :p

Soon will come the day that people start playing Melee/Brawl with their mouths. Ew.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think it would be easier if you use Madcatz controller which is smaller than the normal Nintendo one, the only problem is that Madcatz is so unreliable that it might not even be worth it.

Kalmetam

Smash Journeyman
I need to learn how to do this, badly :p

Soon will come the day that people start playing Melee/Brawl with their mouths. Ew.
I think that would be pretty hard but people probably would try it. But, you might not want to get your saliva on the controller. I feel feet are more reasonable, but I've never seen anyone do that on any videos. It'd be pretty funny if someone were using their feet:suess:

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
I have been playing smash one handed for quite awhile, And I'm going to a tournament soon to claim the title of best one handed player.. In Sweden of course..

My level of play is around Pro am to Proffesional and when I'm playing one handed it goes down to intermediate or a little higher.. Which still is pretty good for being one hand.

My reason for this is mainly because I'm a sandbag kind of person, Never really try at all, at any game, Though is still able to win..

Anywho the best way to play one handed is by using your left hand, Hands down.. Use your pinky on the control analog, and the 2 middle fingers for support and/or jump with the long finger(Though it's easier/better to jump with the index finger), To grab or L cancel bend your hand forward and reach for the Z button with your index finger.(DO NOT take away the pinky from the analog, You can't DI if you do, or CC)(And by the way, Try to use the A button as much as you can)

Things you should consider putting into your style is

Dash dance, Running into shield(Push the controller against your lap or reach the L button with the pinky finger, Great approach method or tech chase), L cancel,(you can L cancel with the Z button, Place your index finger on the Z button and do aerials with the Cstick) and last but not least.. Predict...predict like HELL

Characters that are quite good one handed in my opinion are mostly those without much lag like Marth, Fox, Falco, Captain falcon, Peach and Ganondorf..

P.S Fox is a ***** to use one handed..

And sorry if I bumped this thread ^.^;;

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
L canceling is easier done with the Z button in one handed smash imo.
doesnt really matter anyways, peach is god tier in this

^^ nizro e du från sverige woot. ball. ska du på smail2?

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
i actually do this quite a bit lol.

i do it right handed. thunb on the control stick and pinkey for a and b else. bash the triggers into your knee for a shield. i think its better to jump with the control stik too

it also helps to have a nooby style. i have a samus friend thats so good at this i cant tell if hes playing 1 or 2 handed. i like to watch him 3 stock newbs like that =p

game set

Smash Apprentice
i'd really like to learn the team thing, that sounds rediculously 1337. The smash community deserves someone who is good at that.

Candide

Smash Apprentice
The most useful and interesting thread on this board for a while... yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom