• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On Reaction.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I've made it a habit to Double Team some moves with startup on reaction, such as laggy fsmashes and predictable aerials with landing lag. I rarely miss against those moves, now. I've also made it a habit to release a charged Aura Sphere whenever someone rolls away from me if they were within a certain distance (about 1.5 Lucario rolls) away pre-roll. It almost always hits right as their invincibility end due to Aura Sphere's speed and size.

Anyone else with good habits to share?

Timbers

check me out
I meant, I don't really have any special attribute..I don't think. I don't really recap on what I've done during a match >.<

Azen Zagenite

Smash Champion
=^_^=

My reaction time sux (0.320+, and worse if I have to react to multiple possibilities), so I usually rely on prediction or other workarounds. Like spamming fsmash!

tedward2000

Smash Champion
good habits...
erm...being able to complete chains?
extreme evasiveness?
patty-caking?

those work?
-t2?

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
i like to force people to do predictable attacks, like missing fmash on purpose so they think im open an approach with a dash attack. Sometimes i like to fair just to make them airdodge, and then i DI back to hit them with a Bair as soon as their dodge ends.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I wouldn't suggest 'habbits' are good. A decent player will pick up on them and fake you into making those moves.
Entirely depends on the Habit.

If ROB always dsmashes after a spotdodged attack, is that such a bad thing?

These are unpunishable habits. Why do Toon Link players always Bair when the opponent is behind them? This is almost a topic for common sense, although it may not be so common to some people.

For example, many people are used to dsmashing when someone's behind them, a new thing to work on would be instead to utilt.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
I've gotten into the habit of using Fsmash against Pit/MK when they start gliding towards me. Fsmash cuts right through their glide attacks.

h4rdcor3

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a very aggressive lucario off edge but I have gotten really good at being able to time an AS when the drop down below the ledge. This will make it so they have to air dodge, and most the time ending up too low to recover, or getting blasted. If they can still make it back to the edge, you can use the time they are in the air dodge to get close enough to extremehog.

dr00

Smash Apprentice
if someone's beating me up too bad i'm quick and can usually snatch the controller out of their hands.

and i play with the remote and nunchuk so it's a lot harder for them. even if they get one, i still got the other AND THEY GOT NOTHIN

i'm pretty terrible otherwise actually ;/

Timbers

check me out
You can punish ROB after the Dsmash. Its hard but far from impossible
He meant after a ROB spotdodges. Which is true, if an opponents whiffs then you're set up for a free dsmash on about every attack. (excluding MK ftilt, GaW bair, etc)

Now spotdodging everytime someone approaches you is a bad habit, because it is punishable.

I still prefer grab/turnaround grab as opposed to dsmash though, when playing ROB. dsmash is too easily DI'd out of, and with the grab you at least rack up a good 14-15% Dsmash is like 6% if they DI it early lol.

PsychoKnight

Smash Cadet
For people who like the spam-roll around me, I simply u-tilt until they get the point.

Metaknight who like to approach in the air, I seem to get them with f-air into n-air, and then if on the ground hopefully a-a-fp combo.

Though I am working on reaction times with double teams, but usual smash spams I tend to punish with f-smash -]. F-tilt does a good job too also

Zujira

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I hit someone towards the end of Lucario's dash attack I follow up with an auto cancelled dair, works almost all the time. Also, whenever my opponent is hanging from the ledge, I'll run off and try to dair them. Dair stage spike is too good.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Whenever I hit someone towards the end of Lucario's dash attack I follow up with an auto cancelled dair, works almost all the time. Also, whenever my opponent is hanging from the ledge, I'll run off and try to dair them. Dair stage spike is too good.
Yea, Dair is a good ledge spike.
But running and trying to get it, your opponent will do one of these
1.move
2.jump
3.roll
4.jump and attack you
5.take it and die

Im not trying to bash you or anything, but it is not the wisest of choices, and could possibly get you killed.
a Down tilt, or Down A, will still hit, without you having to jump in the air and risk some kind of fault.
-t2

Zujira

Smash Apprentice
1. If they move, they move. No big deal.
2. If they jump, then they're just above me while I'm barely off the stage, no big deal there with Lucario's aerial game.
3. Again, no big deal now they don't have a chance to hit me, and I don't hit them.
4. see 2
5. Great

Edit : Yes a down tilt will hit, but why go for small damage when I can get a potential kill?

swypa101

Smash Apprentice
one of my habits is air spamming then landing with a AS

i just seem to be better in the air than on the floor b/c lucarios smashes are slow and when i end up on the ground i toss my opponent up

tedward2000

Smash Champion
1. If they move, they move. No big deal.
2. If they jump, then they're just above me while I'm barely off the stage, no big deal there with Lucario's aerial game.
3. Again, no big deal now they don't have a chance to hit me, and I don't hit them.
4. see 2
5. Great

Edit : Yes a down tilt will hit, but why go for small damage when I can get a potential kill?
Because you can die if you miss.
Meh, its all in the eye of the beholder.

If you take the risk, and it pays off. Gratz to you.
But if you miss and get spiked, or edgehogged then....told ya so.

And yes, Lucario's aerial game is awesome.
-t2

Zujira

Smash Apprentice
Maybe you're thinking I'm going too low when I do it. I do it in such a way that I will grab the ledge almost Immediately after the dair is over. So as I see it, it'd be almost impossible to edgehog or get spiked in said situation.

Edit again : If I was unclear, I just barely run off the edge, if even that and do the dair ontop of where their head would be if they were hanging from the ledge.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I've made it a habit to Double Team some moves with startup on reaction, such as laggy fsmashes and predictable aerials with landing lag. I rarely miss against those moves, now. I've also made it a habit to release a charged Aura Sphere whenever someone rolls away from me if they were within a certain distance (about 1.5 Lucario rolls) away pre-roll. It almost always hits right as their invincibility end due to Aura Sphere's speed and size.

Anyone else with good habits to share?
hey. yer i completely agree with the aura sphere roll away shot

used to b effective in ssb1 with ness's pk fire. little better timing needed there. other than that, a good habit is DTing wen u are coming down and there is some 1 below becoz 9/10 they try for a usmash or some effective juggle

:) :)
cheers have a good 1

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
hey. yer i completely agree with the aura sphere roll away shot

used to b effective in ssb1 with ness's pk fire. little better timing needed there. other than that, a good habit is DTing wen u are coming down and there is some 1 below becoz 9/10 they try for a usmash or some effective juggle

:) :)
cheers have a good 1
Not rly. Double Team halts momentum, which means you have a good chance of whiffing. =\

A whiffed Double Team is a free Fsmash/KO move to the face.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you're thinking I'm going too low when I do it. I do it in such a way that I will grab the ledge almost Immediately after the dair is over. So as I see it, it'd be almost impossible to edgehog or get spiked in said situation.

Edit again : If I was unclear, I just barely run off the edge, if even that and do the dair ontop of where their head would be if they were hanging from the ledge.
Yes, Dair ledgespike is too good. If you are close enough, people usually don't see it coming until its to late (especially if you've been spamming Fsmash at the ledge like a mad man).

I dunno why people think its risky.

Top Bottom