• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni Presents: Three Reasons Why You Should Pick A Top Tier

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
I chose android 17
I kinda want to see the rest of the side video that was playing

Last edited:

Elite Smasher

Elite Smash Expert & Smashologist
NNID
Justin3
3DS FC
4253-3537-8467
Good thing he was talking to Melee players and not contemporary Smashers who play a game with an egalitarian balance. Seriously though, anyone who plays Smash 4 should know that all the characters have been buffed to their best and are equally balanced. The smash community has a simply horrid habit of having high self-serving bias when failure occurs. Blaming the character when you used it incorrectly, or blaming the stage when you did not take advantage of it like your opponent did are classic examples. It would be one thing for the community to just whine about it, but instead they end up banning it. All stages with the exception of ones with a Stage Boss should always be playable and if the 2 smashers agree those can be playable as well. A truly elite smasher can play any character (regardless of any false proposed smash 4 tier list) to their best ability while using any situation to his or her advantage while also being able to predict their opponent really well. Banning or running away from your challenges does no good and only promotes negative mental sets and lowers self-efficacy. But hey, whether it was for melee or not, don't forget that Yoshi main that beat everyone after the tiers had been well established for several years. Tiers are truly a backward thing! Be who you want to be and rock it like no one else has ever done before!

PCHU

Smash Lord
Good thing he was talking to Melee players and not contemporary Smashers who play a game with an egalitarian balance. Seriously though, anyone who plays Smash 4 should know that all the characters have been buffed to their best and are equally balanced.
I won't say the balance is awful since it's the best in the series thus far, but it still needs a bit of work; there's quite a bit of a difference between characters like Ganondorf and Luigi despite Ganondorf actually not feeling bad on his own.
No amount of self-esteem boost will change frame data/mobility/range.

The same reason you should pick a top tier in 64 is the same reason you should in Melee is the same reason you should in Brawl and is the same reason you should in Smash 4 -- top tiers just have more at their disposal to work with.
Doesn't mean you can't be skilled and do your own thing with a lower tier character, but that doesn't change the effectiveness of other characters.

Maybe this is bait, but it's hard to tell nowadays.

Elite Smasher

Elite Smash Expert & Smashologist
NNID
Justin3
3DS FC
4253-3537-8467
I won't say the balance is awful since it's the best in the series thus far, but it still needs a bit of work; there's quite a bit of a difference between characters like Ganondorf and Luigi despite Ganondorf actually not feeling bad on his own.
No amount of self-esteem boost will change frame data/mobility/range.

The same reason you should pick a top tier in 64 is the same reason you should in Melee is the same reason you should in Brawl and is the same reason you should in Smash 4 -- top tiers just have more at their disposal to work with.
Doesn't mean you can't be skilled and do your own thing with a lower tier character, but that doesn't change the effectiveness of other characters.

Maybe this is bait, but it's hard to tell nowadays.
As a busy, smashsonian intellectual and progressive, it is important to get my message across. I did not need the spoiler to know you would not change your mind no matter what I said and are one to not waste time arguing with, but thanks for the chuckle. Y'all have a nice day now!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Please watch the video first, Senpai.

You don't have to drop your mains. Keep them! The idea is that learning how to use top tiers will help you face against them with your current mains. Even if you don't main them it's always beneficial to thoroughly explore them.
Dat click bait, but it worked and I liked it.

I left my thoughts on the video on Youtube though but I'll c/p them here.

-

I only half agree. You are looking at this front one sole perspective, but seem to say it is ok at the same time for another.

You suggest that playing a top tier would make you a better player, I'd agree. Maining one is another story. If you tell people to just play a top tier you can lead to stunting growth for others if people try to develop them in any shape or form. Telling people to just pick what is predetermined limits the game and what they can do.

In addition, I find your message stronger in a less balanced unpatched game like Melee, instead of PM/Smash 4 where there is a lot more changing with both. And while people should adapt to changes or the lack there of, I don't think pointing them to the top characters is the best idea when people also play for different reasons.

I'm not going to be anything more than what I am now, but that is ok because if I do not enjoy what I am doing, how can I even play the game. I did take this advice when I went from Roy to Peach in Melee. But I do not see myself jumping more when I can't value winning when a lot that comes with winning needs to be something I enjoy.

DeepDish

Smash Apprentice
I think everyone should try every character. Lean every character to the extent that you understand their options, movement, etc. Then pick the character that you like playing the most.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill can you please stop posting these videos ? It's just clickbait titles with an incomplete and extremely biased analysis behind. This isn't new, even in the Brawl era his posts were built the same way.

Showcasing Omni's videos when they bring nothing but controversy (and they are made to generate controversy) is bad for the community as a whole. There are plenty of people on youtube that open for intelligent discussions instead of sensationalism.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Alright then Omni, Smash 4 talk, you and me: Anyone above Yoshi on the tier list I should be playing? Or just stay that character?

Lizalfos

Smash Master
All these people are saying that picking top tiers kills the game b/c there is only 1 mu.

That is a massive exaggeration, you'd be hard stretched to find a game where there is only 1 character being played, unless there is actually one character.

Melee at least has Fox, Marth, Falco in terms of high tier characters that are very viable even at the highest level in every MU. And clearly people also play Sheik, Puff, Peach, and even Falcon at a very high level in the current meta and probably will for the game's entire lifespan.

Starcraft Brood War, one of the biggest Esports ever, and it's successor SC2, which is also super esports, only has 3 factions. Why wasn't that game instantly stale?

Zionaze

Smash Ace
You guys all failed to understand the point of this video congrats.
This video is meant for people that are serious about Smash and aim to become a professional. aka Travel and spend money to compete in tournaments. This isn't meant for your average joe that plays in his local tournament and doesn't inspire to become bigger.

If your serious about winning a tournament and improving your Smash career, you should play as a top tier. Not because it'll be an "easy" win, but because you'll have a much deeper understanding of the character.
When you play against someone using your main, you know what their going to do. You know their tricks and combos and approaches. So you feel confident = you'll perform better.
And if you still don't want to play a top tier, thats fine, Omni even points that out in the video. But now you have MU knowledge about their character and they don't because not much is known about midtier/lowtier characters.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Omni is just so damn rational I really can't be offended at his videos when I damn well should be. He makes great points here, and I appreciate why he made this video to cool some of the hate people get for picking toptiers.

I'm a D3 main, no matter what, but I get this video.

Good **** Omni. Goood ****.

Li'l Devi'

Smash Cadet
NNID
TFSRunner
The video speaks for itself, so I'm just gunna leave this here http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esports/stories/1331728268003/friendlies-gimpyfish-the-low-tier-hero
I'm pretty damn sure that omnis vid was directed to those who wanna actually see decent tourny result, keeping that in mind, it was pretty sound advice
How I personally pick a main/secondary/tertiary - I go through the cast and I just mess around with them and whichever feels good, (movement, how hits connect, etc) there it is, that's who I'm maining.
In Melee, I main ganon, second Falco, and my third pick is ness (pfft) why would I choose ganon over Falco? Why ness?? Hell, I've never even touched an earthbound game, I have no real emotional connection to ness, I played ocarina of time after I played Melee, so I had no real idea who ganon was, but they just felt good in my hands. And, well, Falco is Falco, he was jut a high tier that also felt good, aha.
Same with SmaFoursh, (and brawl I guess) I use rob, Wario and ganon ( rob really just carried over from brawl and Wario from PM [but not really, I just enjoy that dirtbag])
So here's advice from a nobody: pick whoever feels good in your hands.
Oh, and those of you who keep saying they don't wanna keep seeing the same five top tiers duke it out, then stop watching the characters, and start looking at styles. Changes everything.
On top of that, would you really wanna see a grand finals where (hypothetical) mango pulls out his hidden DK that he'd been training in secret for years only to get utterly ****ing destroyed by armadas fox? Or for zero to pull out his Mewtwo only to get bopped by the other top players? Sure it might be hype in the beginning, but in the end, it would be a waste of GF. Sometimes you have to stop watching as a spectator and put yourself in their shoes for a bit.
Sorry, a lot of this was just a bunch of scattered thoughts on the subject hastily put together. I could write about low tier losers and high tier hate, but that would just take too damn long.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Omni can never be taken seriously. If it's not that horrid eyeliner he wears or his voice, it's his attitude and prone decision to make controversial videos in the Smash community in hopes of influencing rising players. Of course, with his lacking charisma, he couldn't influence a class of second graders, assuming he isn't one.

Last edited:

SuperSwagBros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xCocho
First of all. I love my characters. "Twin Helmets" Captain Falcon and Samus. I've made them to be extension of my person. It's me under that helmet. I don't care about stocks, I care about style. Eventually.... playing long enough enable to take stocks. BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT.
Play Whoever
Play Whatever
Play your way.
If you lose. Oh, well. Find other ways that make you feel good in this game. If its taking all your opponent's stocks... ok. For me, it's landing the falcon punch. Being risky, find the most creative way or not so creative way to get into my opponent's head and GET THE GAME CHEERING FOR ME. usually when that happens. I feel that I did when and my local friends hate cuz they see it gets me hype and stop fighting 'seriously' after the crowd chant. haha
The video is for those who want to win and get better. I see you aren't either. I don't say "oh well" when I lose. I ask myself why I lost and what I can do to improve. Losing is essential.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
If every top player played the game like ZeRo, I would grow bored of Smash pretty quickly. People like Bizzarro Flame are the real heart of the community.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
If every top player played the game like ZeRo, I would grow bored of Smash pretty quickly. People like Bizzarro Flame are the real heart of the community.
Everyone would be way better at Sm4sh tho. Sheik meta so advanced. Sakurai would prolly nerf her fair super hard in just one update.

Atm0s

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreenStarMario
3DS FC
1075-0882-2177
I pretty much need to play a fun character, or else I do worse. The less fun I'm having, the poorer I'll preform. Hey, I'm not complaining though.

Akira213

Smash Cadet
why does this website keep shilling this guy's videos like they are legitimate news or something when they're always just clickbait

Kanvas

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3583-1315-1561
If you're playing against the best in a tournament, you can learn how to play a top tier for that, otherwise just play whoever you like the most.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
why does this website keep shilling this guy's videos like they are legitimate news or something when they're always just clickbait
What the hell is click bait about, "3 Reasons Why You Should Pick a Top Tier" when I'm literally giving you 3 reasons why you should pick a top tier.

Want me to call it, "A Vlog About Omni Giving 3 Reasons Why He Thinks You Should Pick a Top Tier That Are Based on His Opinion Born in 1987 in The Children's Hospital of Maryland"?

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Omni can never be taken seriously. If it's not that horrid eyeliner he wears or his voice, it's his attitude and prone decision to make controversial videos in the Smash community in hopes of influencing rising players. Of course, with his lacking charisma, he couldn't influence a class of second graders, assuming he isn't one.
rude

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
Please watch the video first, Senpai.

You don't have to drop your mains. Keep them! The idea is that learning how to use top tiers will help you face against them with your current mains. Even if you don't main them it's always beneficial to thoroughly explore them.
Thanks t oyou i have o drop my main and play shiek :( [photo way too big bruh]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
But we all know Shiek , Rosa , and Luigi are gonna get the Diddy Treatment [photo way too big bruh and scary] Then mid tiers gonna get buffed then new "High Tiers" will come on the way , what they need to do is buff characters , sooner or later the whole roster can't kill when every 1 is nerfed but ROSA NEEDS A NERF THO

Last edited by a moderator:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Good thing he was talking to Melee players and not contemporary Smashers who play a game with an egalitarian balance. Seriously though, anyone who plays Smash 4 should know that all the characters have been buffed to their best and are equally balanced. The smash community has a simply horrid habit of having high self-serving bias when failure occurs. Blaming the character when you used it incorrectly, or blaming the stage when you did not take advantage of it like your opponent did are classic examples. It would be one thing for the community to just whine about it, but instead they end up banning it. All stages with the exception of ones with a Stage Boss should always be playable and if the 2 smashers agree those can be playable as well. A truly elite smasher can play any character (regardless of any false proposed smash 4 tier list) to their best ability while using any situation to his or her advantage while also being able to predict their opponent really well. Banning or running away from your challenges does no good and only promotes negative mental sets and lowers self-efficacy. But hey, whether it was for melee or not, don't forget that Yoshi main that beat everyone after the tiers had been well established for several years. Tiers are truly a backward thing! Be who you want to be and rock it like no one else has ever done before!
No offense but this sounds like a bunch of groundless statements.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Omni is right to be honest, but there isn't necessarily a top tier that all players agree upon.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill can you please stop posting these videos ? It's just clickbait titles with an incomplete and extremely biased analysis behind. This isn't new, even in the Brawl era his posts were built the same way.

Showcasing Omni's videos when they bring nothing but controversy (and they are made to generate controversy) is bad for the community as a whole. There are plenty of people on youtube that open for intelligent discussions instead of sensationalism.
Well when you see people discussing a video across various other websites and media it'd be kinda silly to NOT cover it controversial or not. Plus @ Omni Omni always asks me if I will cover his videos, and people who bring me content are pretty likely to see it featured. However you can ask him too, the answer isn't always yes when he sends me videos either. I still do my best to put things up when the staff agrees even if I may not agree on the opinion (though I think tons of people didn't watch or missed the point of this video completely).

BSP

Smash Legend
However much winning matters to you is how much you should consider using / maining a top tier. It's as simple as that.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Where's your tournament experience to criticize them? >->
You can criticize people without tournament experience. It doesn't take a Smash God to look at a player and say "Wow, this player is very mediocre and is making a bunch of mistakes." This is absolutely ****ing toxic thinking where people try to devalue someone's observations on the basis that they couldn't do better. X Football team really sucks.

But I've never won a superbowl so how the hell could I say?

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Winning with a lower tier is way more rewarding than winning with a top tier because it means that you won solely based on your skill, not because your character has advantages over your opponent's. Sure, it may be harder to win, but it's way more fun. Everyone playing the same three characters ruins the spirit of the game.

People come up against me and say, "Hey, you're the Pac-Man!" and that brings a smile to my face. I've never once heard someone say "Hey, you're the Sheik!" Diversity makes the game much more exciting.
If you just wanna be known for the character you play you have very small dreams. At least aim to be known as that pacman that caused an upset.

Also
If you are a lowtier playing for the struggle instead of playing for said struggle with a lowtier I recommend to aim for a higher placing in tournament with a better character instead, it's a harder and deeper struggle.
It's not like the toptiers the other serious threats most likely play are easy to counterpick anyway.

Last edited:

Robbl

Smash Cadet
Pick top tier > Win a lot of tournaments > Get them nerfed or get other characters buffed to keep the meta dynamic

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312

That's exactly why I don't even bother watching his dumb videos.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I get the feeling we're getting a lot of users who aren't actively going to tournaments speaking out against the message of this video.
Towards the end Omni says...
"If you take your fighting game career seriously..."
"If you're serious about winning any kind of fighting game tournament..."
If you're not actively going to tournaments, and actively trying to compete with top players, then you're not taking it seriously. And you're not the target of this video.

Don't get all prideful and say stuff like
"nah, I'm gonna stick with *insert character(s)*"
"screw tier lists I use who I want"
when you weren't even the target audience.

Edit: View attachment 60781Just pointing this out, lol
That's a joke on how some Fox mains have had to stop playing Fox because it wrecks their hands.
As in, picking Fox literally destroys you. :4dedede:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Towards the end Omni says...
That's like putting a spoiler warning after saying that Snape kills Dumbledore. "Just don't pay attention to what I just said lol".

@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill well how should I put it ? All the other news you post are either relevant to current events, insightful or educative. Omni's video are none of that and that's why imo he doesn't deserve to be put in the news section. If he wants exposure he's free to post his video on reddit (which he already does btw) or make a thread about it in the forums.

4nonymous

Banned via Warnings
No. Not being the top tiers in Melee is awful because your hands will be DESTROYED.
I really like Fox/Falco. But I have slight carpal tunnel and some people in my family have their hands ruined.
IC's bb

Last edited:
Top Bottom