• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omega Clause

Yikarur

Smash Master
Hey guys; I wanted to present you a rule we use in germany, invented by me.

The Rule says:

Omega Clause
Banning Ω Stages bans all Ω Stages. Final Destination is an Ω Stage.
Banning a Stage bans it's Ω-Version as well.
Instead of Final Destination, the TO can decide any Ω Stage to be included in the Starter List.

The last big tournament we've hold had Coliseum (Ω) as Starter.

The Stage List looked like this:

Starter-Stages:
Coliseum (Ω)
Battlefield
Smashville

Counterpick-Stages:
All Stages (Ω)
Castle Siege
Duck Hunt
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Delfino Plaza
Town and City
Wuhu Island

If this clause would be in affect globally, TO's would be motivated to use tournament series specific Omega Stages as Starter.
One Tournament Series run in germany will use Coliseum in future events as it's symbol because the series name is derived from something ressembling colisseums.
Additionally, FD is controverse for a lot of people because of the massive effects on this stage. People should reconsider FD and use some of the other stages as their starter instead.

What do you think about it? I like "I ban Omega" more than "I ban FD" "Does it include omegas as well?" and the people in this region adapted pretty fast to that kind of terminology.

Last edited:

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
Personally, I just run with this clause.

Starter is FD only.
For Counterpicks, if FD is banned, then Omegas are banned.

While there are a lot of interesting variations between the Omega stages, the neutral game across all of them are so similar that it seems redundant to feature them separately. For most people, choosing Omegas is a matter of aesthetic choice. The idea of having TOs decide which Omega to run is interesting, but I defer to the players' choices in this matter.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I'd run

Starter:
If FD is picked, any Omega can be used if both players agree. If they cannot, use Omega Palutena's Temple (nearly identical to FD but without obtrusive visuals)

Counterpick:
Picking player can choose any Omega stage in place of FD if FD is available to pick.

This means that you aren't forced to play FD/Palutena's on round 1, if neither player feels disadvantaged from an Omega pick, they can play on it.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
While your stage list is pretty bad, the rule is good, and it's already in place almost everywhere. In regions where it's not, it should be.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Why Coliseum? Isn't Palutena's Temple generally agreed to be the best omega stage due to its similarities to FD and static background?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Stagelist aside, I still don't agree with treating omegas as equal, since they're not. I shouldn't have to ban both Lylat Omega and Lylat just because its edges suck, for instance.

Yikarur

Smash Master
why does the the starter omega need to be similar to FD?

@I forgot to mention the following rule which is written in our omega clause as well:
"Banning a non-omega stage, bans it's Omega counterpart as well"

I'll edit it to the OP

Last edited:

TheASDF

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheASDF
Honestly, the only reason to implement the "ban a stage, ban the Omega too" rule is Lylat.

Of course, that's a very, very good reason.

Judo777

Smash Master
What is the purpose of that final clause of banning a stage bans the omega version? Just curious. I happen to think Omega Battle Field looks really awesome.

Yikarur

Smash Master
because you say "I ban Lylat Cruise" so Lylat Cruise cannot be picked. Lylat Cruise Omega is still Lylat Cruise. You just pick it with an Ω instead.
In cases like Lylat Cruise this makes a lot of sense from a banning perspective so it really has it's uses. (My reasoning above was the main reason for this but it has a positive side effect)

Top Bottom