• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's B-up....

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
So, first of all, lemme say I've recently gotten good enough with Olimar to beat all the level 9 bots in Brawl mode.* It's really fun to kick around the big guys like Bowser, Gannondorf, Snake, etc. with little olimar, once you get good. :laugh:

But anyway, I was just foolin around and I accidentally used Oli's B-up move on the ground. It actually sent DK flying back a good way at only like 50 damage! So, what I previously thought to be a weak and ineffective move that I barely ever used turned out to be a pretty OK one (if you're not using it for recovery, lol).

So how do you use the "Pikmin Chain"?

*By good, I mean I think I've finally fallen into my style with him. I play really, REALLY defensively, getting the most possible use out of shielding and dodging...
;)

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
I use it pretty frequently, actually. I haven't figured out all the nuances of the move, but as far as I can tell, it seems to follow a certain priority order in terms of damage type...If you have even one Red Pikmin in the chain, it does fire damage; if you have a Yellow but no Red, it does electricity; if you have a White but no Red or Yellow, it does poison damage; and I haven't happened to use the chain as an attack without white/red/yellow Pikmin.

I tend to fight on Final Destination, but on other maps, the chain is quite effective. For example, on the Lylat Cruise or Battlefield maps, when you're standing on the bottom floor, it's quite useful to hit people on platforms above you.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I find the chain to be exceptional.

Pikmin toss > grab > uthrow > uair > uB

nasty little combo..... (the above is intended to follow the DI, not a gurenteed work lol)

The pikmin at the tip affect the attack type as far as I've seen. I prefer hitting with red pikmin though, they do the most damage. Yellow seem to do the most knockback though... I have yet to really connect a lot of purple pikmin.

Florida

イーグランツ
Offensively, I only use the pikmin chain when it can star K.O. an opponent, or when I'm trying to buy some time and stall. I haven't really used it to end combos, but it does have an excellent reach. Just think of it as an extended arm.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
personally, but im sure you guys do this too, but when the opponent is above the screen, i use it to just, give em a little shove for a ko.
Yeah, same. It's also part of this chasing technique that I'm able to pull off once in awhile. UpTilt, Jump, NeutralAir, Jump, UpAir, UpB = opponent flying off the screen with a KO. Haven't perfected it yet but it works sometimes. Anyway, that's what I mostly use it for. Sometimes juggling too, given that I'm at the right position. Never really thought about using it that seriously though. I should try it more in different percentages and see what becomes of it and how useful it can be..

Sudai

Stuff here
It's not just the pikmen at the tip that effects the damage type. It depends on which pikmen actually hits the person. If the first pikmen hits, the hitbox on the rest vanishes. The only time I can think of that the first pikmen wouldn't hit, however, is when an opponent air dodges or is otherwise invincible and loses the invicibility after the first pikmen goes through. Only reason I know that is because I've seen it happen a few times.

Snailboto

Smash Rookie
I use it sometimes when my opponent is in the air. I dislike the angle though, I wish it was straight up, it would make it easier to hit in my opinion.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Don't really play Pikmin atm, but it seems like it'd be a good weapon against people approaching with aerials while you're shielding. Maybe the angle is too high, though.

shanus

Smash Hero
I find the chain to be exceptional.

Pikmin toss > grab > uthrow > uair > uB

nasty little combo..... (the above is intended to follow the DI, not a gurenteed work lol)

The pikmin at the tip affect the attack type as far as I've seen. I prefer hitting with red pikmin though, they do the most damage. Yellow seem to do the most knockback though... I have yet to really connect a lot of purple pikmin.
I tend to follow the same combos, my best was a downthrow->u-smash->uair (yellow)->uair(red)->up+b(purple) for the kill which works exceptionally well.

Juggling with uairs to chain overall seems to work about half the time depending on DI, but it is fantastic to use as you start to fall during the juggle. Overall, I'm finding more and more combo potential with olimar with each day I play and I notice myself getting much much faster.

Also, pivot grabs as olimar = beast

Top Bottom