• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I just posted a lot of new videos. I don't win all of them this time but thats because my friends have gotten a lot better. I recommend watching them if you have the time; I have improved a great deal. There are also a lot of examples of whistle armor. I hope you enjoy.
Updated with all of your videos NC-Echo. I both love how you put all of your videos in the format I put on the main page and how you put everything extremely out of order.

Douten

Smash Rookie
Hmm I'm still a very casual player and only have some video of me vs npc. I would like tips, etc on them though : ) do you think I should post it up here? :x

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
So I figured out the ins and outs of online play today, along with just general learning of the game after finally unlocking all the characters/stages. Anyway I got to play Nukka what was a lot of fun, although he admits he was much much better at ssbm than brawl. Anyway though didn't get but one replay of a full match, but in that match was by far the grossest thing i've done with Olimar yet, so i figured I'd share. Not sure its worth an entire thread so I'll just put it here. Its not a textbook combo, not sure it qualifies as a ken combo either since its by our good friend Oli, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhdCQVHhPpo

its just a short clip, don't know if it even belongs on the first page, but you know how it is when you do something you've just gotta share... here's one of mine. Sorry for the video quality, if i actually find myself wanting to upload all sorts of videos i'll consider figuring out better ways to record than my digital camera, until then, focus on the play, its what counts ><

-True

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
So I figured out the ins and outs of online play today, along with just general learning of the game after finally unlocking all the characters/stages. Anyway I got to play Nukka what was a lot of fun, although he admits he was much much better at ssbm than brawl. Anyway though didn't get but one replay of a full match, but in that match was by far the grossest thing i've done with Olimar yet, so i figured I'd share. Not sure its worth an entire thread so I'll just put it here. Its not a textbook combo, not sure it qualifies as a ken combo either since its by our good friend Oli, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhdCQVHhPpo

its just a short clip, don't know if it even belongs on the first page, but you know how it is when you do something you've just gotta share... here's one of mine. Sorry for the video quality, if i actually find myself wanting to upload all sorts of videos i'll consider figuring out better ways to record than my digital camera, until then, focus on the play, its what counts ><

-True
Good ****, True.

Unfortunately due to family emergency I am away from my Wii and my competition till after Spring Break, which should end around Easter. So no new vids from me for a while. However, I am with Brawl and a Wii, but they're my fiance's.

How are you feeling about Whistle Cancels? I can understand if you're just trying to work with Olimar still but I can't help but wonder how epic it'll be now that everyone has it in their hands.

I definitely wanna Olimar ditto you, True. That makes me strangely absurdly happy to think about. Paypal MM perhaps?

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Haha I look forward to playing you sometime H A B, I imagine its pretty much inevitable =P As for WAC I've actually used it a couple times already in online matches, once in an epic WAC of a DDD jet hammer to turn around and get the KO. Also if you check some of Echo's recent videos, he has a couple WACs against Karn's ROB that just seemed unreal, honestly the two i'm thinking about were such perfect application of it I have no doubt it'll develop into standard Olimar play. Unfortunately I've got plenty of catchup to be playing already, WAC has only started to cross my mind in game, currently still trying to bring my shield grab up to par, or really just fully grasp the new shielding in general. Only thing I really have developed so far is some effective timing/spacing of Latch and FSmash similar to fast/slow shoryuken "trap" that forces a difficult approach, however even it was made look silly by zelda Fire spam, anyone else have an issue with that? Anyway glad you guys liked the clip, I unfortunately haven't been able to pull off too much of the like despite trying since, the FAir timing is a lot different than marths =P Oh but give it time. To all you movie posting experts, anyone have suggestions on which way to record video? I'm thinking of just making a point of making use of it rather than only have the terrible quality of my camera when I feel the need to put something up. If not i'll just go in general the way posts here say. Anyway anyone feel free to challenge me whenever your avaliable, AIM B1J2I3 to set it up or whatever, good luck and see you guys around.

-True

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
So i just ran into DSF online playing over at gamebattles ladder. He plays online as snake, mains Toon Link these days. Needless to say his snake made an absolute joke of me the first game, i'd never played a competative one before, but i do have the low quality video of my being brutally ***** all over FD. The second game was on Yoshi's Island, and gathering some semblance of my wits i manage to take the first stock, and actually put something that looked more like an effort, but 3 ledge hog kills i was unprepared to deal with later, it ended still one sided. I'd have loved to have that video, but for some reason my camera decided it was a good idea to go into energy save mode even though it should have been recording, so i have a dramatic... 4 seconds of that game. Ohwell, not sure i'm gonna bother uploading the first video, i really was just so taken aback by everything its not a good olimar video to even watch, just a fun update on someone whos videos are still in this thread today.

-True

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
yo that 0 to death combo video on youtube is private. why would you do that death star if you want people to see it?
I'm wondering the same thing =\

I was gonna show it to my roommates just a second ago. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed. I wonder what his motivation was for keeping it private.

I sure hope he reconsiders... -_-

keeper

Smash Champion

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
To all you movie posting experts, anyone have suggestions on which way to record video? I'm thinking of just making a point of making use of it rather than only have the terrible quality of my camera when I feel the need to put something up. If not i'll just go in general the way posts here say.
-True
You can use the replay save feature in-game. It only saves matches up to 3 minutes long, though. You could try playing more 2-stock online matches, since they typically end before 3 minutes. You could try playing 2 or 3 minute matches - although it's not as competitive as stock matches.

Anyways, after you save your replays onto your Wii or SD card, you can purchase a Gamebridge from Ebay for $20 to capture the footage onto your computer. The Gamebridge is a TV tuner that is especially made for capturing game play footage. You can record using the Gamebridge WHILE you are playing, too, but I heard that there's a bit of latency when recording while playing.

I haven't done this, myself, but I've researched a lot on the Gamebridge. In the near future, I will be getting the Gamebridge and doing tests myself. I will let you know how it goes. I really suggest playing more 2-stock matches, though, since it's more of a secure way to record matches and not suffer from potential lag while recording with the Gamebridge.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Anyways, after you save your replays onto your Wii or SD card, you can purchase a Gamebridge from Ebay for $20 to capture the footage onto your computer. The Gamebridge is a TV tuner that is especially made for capturing game play footage. You can record using the Gamebridge WHILE you are playing, too, but I heard that there's a bit of latency when recording while playing.

I haven't done this, myself, but I've researched a lot on the Gamebridge. In the near future, I will be getting the Gamebridge and doing tests myself. I will let you know how it goes. I really suggest playing more 2-stock matches, though, since it's more of a secure way to record matches and not suffer from potential lag while recording with the Gamebridge.
I own A Gamebridge myself and I'd say it's a pretty valuable tool. My comp is barely good enough to support the lowest quality (called "good", the other 2 are "better" and "best") and that is more than good enough for nice videos. I do experience occasional skipping, but I'm inclined to think that it's because of my computer, and not because of the Gamebridge.
As for the lag, I honestly don't feel any at all. I'm sure there is a little, but it doesn't affect my play any. I just managed to catch a Boss Battles Intense completion with it, so I'm pretty excited about that.

I'd say if you have a computer that is above "bare bones minimum for Gamebridge" that it should be fine.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Hey mate, thanks for the information about the Gamebridge. I'll be sure to pick one up soon and try it for myself. In the meantime, however, I have to find a Wii! :( I borrowed my friend's Wii over Spring break to play SSBB. Now that my break is over, it's time for Wii-hunting again. :(

Cheerio.

keeper

Smash Champion
Here's three more. I don't claim any of my opponents to be great though, but we were playing to have fun. The one with Sheik, he doesn't use Sheik ever really.

Demonstration of B-sticking (I got bored and started messing with Whistle Super Amor, so it is relevant to Olimar I guess): http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=uwOpRjz7hVg

You got Footstooled! (keeper vs. TFS): http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Z62dxKL8zaI

These were a best three out of five, but the last one was too long to save to my Wii. Sorry for the grainy quality, but you can see the color and shapes well enough. I feel I did some great combos as I was mostly just messing with him.
keeper vs. Vaxis: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gptl7xu4vMY
keeper vs. Vaxis 2: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=F6G8IrY8qSA

M.K

Level 55
I might post a video of my Olimar that I saved. It's pretty cool, I 4-Stocked a Ganondorf in 1:35!
These vids are amazing! (Oh, and I wanted to test out my new signature and avatar ^_^)

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Hey mate, thanks for the information about the Gamebridge. I'll be sure to pick one up soon and try it for myself. In the meantime, however, I have to find a Wii! :( I borrowed my friend's Wii over Spring break to play SSBB. Now that my break is over, it's time for Wii-hunting again. :(

Cheerio.
Glad I could offer up some helpful advice. BTW, what operating system do you use? I have Windows XP, which warned me about compatibility before installing the software. I skipped the warning, of course and it works all right. Vista will give you a lot of grief about Gamebridge; but my roommate found a "work-around" that made it work on his comp. I don't think it works on Macs either.

Given your research, you have probably found some, if not all, of this out. It's just something that you should remember if you are planning to get one. GameBridge is NOT NICE to 64 bit operating systems.

Hope to see some cool videos soon, Gazelle. And good luck on finding that Wii.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
A little video of my vs a PC (Lol I know... there was just nobody to play with)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIYhKqZmw1Q

You can see me do some of the basics here.

Good stuff:

- DI in and out, wiggle in the air!
- Float in the middle of platforms, fastfall for defense (you dodge it)
- I "miss" aerial attacks with white pikmin to shift them in the line, and only use them mid-combo.
- Pivot Grab, its nasty as hell!
- If you see a repetitive thing in the foe's game, abuse it (Nair after the Samus' second edge grab recovery )
- Pikmin Rope can be used from lots of angles
- Abuse each pikmin, when I got Red & Yellow line, Y for smash, R for crazy aerials
- Pimp mini Spike combo for KO

Bad stuff you can see (things to avoid):

- Try to go rambo with no full pikmin line, your rope will be small, be a bit less aggressive
- Bad rolling (It was a PC you never know what it will do xD)

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
How can I see this video? :(
The maker of the video decided to make the video private. :(

If you watch this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FADsAx4pA24 , you can see the beginnings of the Textbook combo at 0:35.

To do the combo, you grab and down-throw your opponent, perform a short-hop forward-air, fast fall, grab, and repeat this all across the stage. Once you get your opponent off of the stage, you jump above or into your opponent and down-air.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Check out this video of Olimar vs. Lucas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVQEjOgB__Y

I must say, this is the most awkward fight I've ever seen. The Olimar player uses a very unusual, yet effective, strategy for approaching Lucas. He takes full advantage of the cool-down lag of Lucas' PK fire.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Check out this video of Olimar vs. Lucas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVQEjOgB__Y

I must say, this is the most awkward fight I've ever seen. The Olimar player uses a very unusual, yet effective, strategy for approaching Lucas. He takes full advantage of the cool-down lag of Lucas' PK fire.
This is seriously one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Good job Lucas for doing the same thing that doesn't work over and over.. :laugh:

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Could we please post more Olimar videos? :( I've been watching all of the Olimar videos on YouTube, and I must say...there are a lot of unsatisfactory Olimar users on YouTube. It makes me feel so frustrated because I KNOW that Olimar is capable of doing better than how these YouTubers are using him.

I know there are a lot of great Olimar players here, so feel absolutely free to show your abilities and post videos. :) :)

keeper

Smash Champion

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
If it isn't keeper :p. Perfect (Jarri) here, also maining Olimar. :) Nice vids.

keeper

Smash Champion
If it isn't keeper :p. Perfect (Jarri) here, also maining Olimar. :) Nice vids.
Wow, what are the chances of that? ._.

If you ever want to play wi-fi, I'm afraid that might lag like... I don't even know what. I just know western USA won't fair well with central Europe.

Good seeing you.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Haha, almost none. Amazing we found eachother :D.

Yeah, bet we can't play. But we can give eachother tips? ^_^ (add me on MSN, it's on Gamerhold if I'm right!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom