• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar v Wolf

Iron Asian

Smash Rookie
I didn't see any forums on this, or in any guide to using Oli, so I figured I'd start one.

I'm having a lot of trouble beating wolf as Oli. Wolf can pretty much lazer/fsmash spam Oli as well as deflect pikmin both thrown at him and used on him from Oli's smashes. Wolf's dsmash is also very good and send Oli downward which can lead to easy gimps. So I guess my question is, how does Oli approach Wolf and what attacks are very useful that outprioritize Wolf?

asob4

Smash Champion
it's not that hard >_>
grab and space. if he reflects your pikmin just nair into him. rids your pikmin and hits/combos him
chain grab to 30

or go to weegee's mansion
chain grab to 30, then up throw, then up smash x837489056349 then dsmash
instawin

Olimarman

Smash Ace
A legitimate wolf shouldn't be too difficult to beat, grabs and smashes. A spammy wolf, however, is a completely different story. Time your rolls to avoid the laser and grab him w/o being on top of him.

Qzzy

Smash Journeyman
At the farthest distance, Wolf wins, kind of. Can't be camped b/c of his laser and reflector. Though even at long range, it's not long he's going to kill you.

Mid range and up close, Olimar wins. And it shouldn't be difficult to get within those ranges.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Wait. CG? That's how I'm supposed to have the advantage on ROB on Luigi's Mansion? You're joking.

As for Wolf, don't forget to watch out for his Up B as well.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
wut?

also, doesn't shine>attack work against everyone for the most part?
Sorry. I got creamed by a ROB within the Mansion. And you're saying CG is foolproof on that stage. Call me casual, but I honestly don't like stuff that just prove why CGs are at least frowned upon.

asob4

Smash Champion
i meant against wolf, whom can only be CG'd til ~30%, then uthrow to up smash. CG is for damage and mind games.

who really sees oli CG comin?

Iron Asian

Smash Rookie
Thanx 4 the advice. Also can Oli's ftilt cancel out Wolf's lazer? I know it works against pika's thundershock and tlink's arrow/bomb but idk if it works against wolf.

Rocann

Smash Lord
Thanx 4 the advice. Also can Oli's ftilt cancel out Wolf's lazer? I know it works against pika's thundershock and tlink's arrow/bomb but idk if it works against wolf.
who cares, shorthop airdodge through it and toward wolf and bait whatever he wants to try, then shove your pikmin down his throat

and by pikmin, I mean *male genitalia dang censors*. wolf telegraphs so much it's really not a hard matchup

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Fsmash him for space and grab him.
NO NO NO NO no effy smashy agaist wolfy! His Fsmash will **** yours every time. Most wolfs will spam fsmash. Try to predict it and go for the grab: you can grab wolf right out of his fsmash. Then, just try to combo him without getting close enough for him to hit you with his reflector (aka, tip your fairs and use uairs and upB). Oh, and don't forget to gimp wolfs crappy recovery (IMO, it's worse than Oli's). Basically, try to get Wolf off of the ground or he will **** you. Air combos are where its at in this matchup.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You guys never played a good Wolf, did ya?

A good Wolf will NEVER spam his fsmash. Only if he's 100% sure to land a hit with it (aka punishing).

Wolf has the advantage imo, although fighting good olimars is always hard. But Wolfs laser eats the pikmin for breakfast. In fact, Wolf can just stand there and spam blaster. Pikmin throw? Blaster cancels it. Fsmash? Blaster stops it. A grab? Blaster breaks Wolf free. Blaster always gives Wolf the advantage. It either outranges, outspeeds or outpriorizes any of Olimars attempts to attack Wolf (thank god for that high priority projectile!). Wolfs dsmash kills Olimar with ease, although Olimars smashes are pretty scary. Wolf is faster to finish him off though. Olimar can't do much against Wolfs wall of pain b/c the shieldstun of bair is amazing. Wolf can just spam well spaced bairs and spotdodge the grab, that usually follows.

60:40 for Wolf...

Kyas

Smash Journeyman

A good Wolf will NEVER spam his fsmash. Only if he's 100% sure to land a hit with it (aka punishing).

Wolf has the advantage imo, although fighting good olimars is always hard. But Wolfs laser eats the pikmin for breakfast. In fact, Wolf can just stand there and spam blaster. Pikmin throw? Blaster cancels it. Fsmash? Blaster stops it. A grab? Blaster breaks Wolf free. Blaster always gives Wolf the advantage. It either outranges, outspeeds or outpriorizes any of Olimars attempts to attack Wolf (thank god for that high priority projectile!). Wolfs dsmash kills Olimar with ease, although Olimars smashes are pretty scary. Wolf is faster to finish him off though. Olimar can't do much against Wolfs wall of pain b/c the shieldstun of bair is amazing. Wolf can just spam well spaced bairs and spotdodge the grab, that usually follows.

So your saying that a good wolf...
spams laser? :confused:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Not necessarily. Wolf doesn't excel anywhere but he's very flexible and can change his playstyle depending on his opponent. And it just so happens, that his Blaster completely ruins Olimars preferred playstyle (camping, shieldgrabbing, playing defensively).

I mean why shouldn't Wolf spam his blaster if it destroys Olimars only projectile, his best approach and his grab game (something Olimar is usually great at) ?

It's not the spam, that makes a good Wolf but the knowledge how and when to spam your laser

Snail

Smash Lord

Laser spam is gay. It may be effective, but I know I will slap any Wolf player in the face if they try that on me...

asob4

Smash Champion
or you could jump over the lazers and fair him, which will lead to a grab
or do a high priority nair and then grab/upsmash

there's easy ways to get around a predictable projectile. especially one with a straight trajectory and slow speed

Kyas

Smash Journeyman

there's easy ways to get around a predictable projectile. especially one with a straight trajectory and slow speed
Or you could just powershield them :dizzy:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
How about you just jump on the platforms that are going to be above you 80% of the time? I haven't had to randomly play on FD yet against Wolf, fortunately.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party

You can't just jump over them. It's hitboy is large enough to hit Olimar even when he does a SH.
If he doesn a full jump Wolf can just run away. It's gay, yeah but it works :chuckle:

Iron Asian

Smash Rookie
Ok I beat him. It wasn't really that hard like you guys sed. I CGed him to 30, timed my rolls 4 the laser and predicted when he was gonna use the deflector so I could punish him after with another grab. Thanx guys

Top Bottom