• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Old VS Video Threads - Cleanup (New Stickied Thread for Versus Match Sharing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
We never used custom stages in competitive Brawl, why would we do it in Smash 4?
There was call for it in Brawl and there will be call for it again. Brawl's custom stage tournament fell apart when it came to hosting the physical portion of the event (on the side at Apex IIRC) but the stage entry portion was a complete success. With better organization, we could easily have a similar event for Smash 4, especially as stages are now shareable.

To the OP: Your stages seem to be weirdly uneven and not drawn particularly carefully but some of the concepts are interesting. Space Opera and Volcanic Havoc are both fun reimplementations of Fountain of Dreams' mechanic and your reverse Smashville is cool also.
Space Opera in particular seems rather chaotic but, assuming everyone has the same version of it, the stage IS entirely predictable and involves no killer hazards.
Beach Retreat, on the other hand, seems like it would be anything but viable as it gives floaty characters like Peach and Meta Knight a massive advantage in that they can far more reliably reach the bottom platform. What's even worse is that this advantage is one that promotes a vast amount of camping as it gives such characters a zone in which they cannot be easily approached.
Dusty Dreamland is just a rounded battlefield and thus nothing worth discussing in depth.

Jsteel3

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jsteel3
3DS FC
1263-6252-1703
Drop blocks, scrolling, water, ice, things that extend to the ceiling, breakable objects, wind, temporary sections/transformations, etc.
So things that would not be used (or even wanted to be used) by the competitive community.

Jsteel3

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jsteel3
3DS FC
1263-6252-1703
There was call for it in Brawl and there will be call for it again. Brawl's custom stage tournament fell apart when it came to hosting the physical portion of the event (on the side at Apex IIRC) but the stage entry portion was a complete success. With better organization, we could easily have a similar event for Smash 4, especially as stages are now shareable.

To the OP: Your stages seem to be weirdly uneven and not drawn particularly carefully but some of the concepts are interesting. Space Opera and Volcanic Havoc are both fun reimplementations of Fountain of Dreams' mechanic and your reverse Smashville is cool also.
Space Opera in particular seems rather chaotic but, assuming everyone has the same version of it, the stage IS entirely predictable and involves no killer hazards.
Beach Retreat, on the other hand, seems like it would be anything but viable as it gives floaty characters like Peach and Meta Knight a massive advantage in that they can far more reliably reach the bottom platform. What's even worse is that this advantage is one that promotes a vast amount of camping as it gives such characters a zone in which they cannot be easily approached.
Dusty Dreamland is just a rounded battlefield and thus nothing worth discussing in depth.
Thank you for the review of the stages many of them are in early stages of balancing the Dusty Dreamland is a recreation of the N64 Dreamland.
Thank you for the review!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
So things that would not be used (or even wanted to be used) by the competitive community.
You're not seeing the possibilities here.

Ice allows for sections where players can more easily be pushed off platforms, potentially finding use as a balancing mechanic for highly sought after and defensible locations such as small pillars. I used this on a stage of mine in Brawl to add risk to stalling at its edges as it meant even shielding would result in being pushed off stage.
Wind at a low strength forces movement a la Dreamland 64, unlike the strong variety found in the Paper Mario stage which restricts it. The lack of this is why I find your "Dreamland" so disappointing. I doesn't have the same mandatory action for players to take advantage of and to keep the game in motion.
Water, as used in existing stages, is terrible but replacing ledges with floating balls of it could result in a really interesting edge game. Positioning said blobs diagonally above the stage edge would allow players to swim right onto the stage and back into the action, completely changing the way we return to the fight while still allowing dropping and jumping as alternative options and providing vulnerable moments the stage occupying player could take advantage of.
Scrolling worked for stages like Rainbow Cruise. It hasn't only spawned chaos like Rumble Falls and Pac Land. Even Poke Floats was once considered a viable competitive option.
Walls extending to the upper blast line would prevent players standing on them while allowing things like a lava walled FD where only top and bottom KOs would kill but horizontal attempts would send foes bouncing around for big damage, diagonal hits still potentially rebounding off the screen. That might be a bit extreme and uncompetitive but I'm sure there are some good things that could come out of drawing up to the blast zone.
The breakable sections in Brinstar added gameplay depth with little downside until they were weakened massively in Smash 4 and started to be a touch too extreme.
Temporary components would allow for a more accurate Fountain of Dreams recreation and maybe even Pokemon Stadium, though opinions on Pokemon Stadium's modes seems to have been quite varied.
Etc.

All options can be good options if used right.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Why do you speak on behalf of the competitive community as a whole not wanting some of these objects? There were some of these elements in stages used on a nation-wide basis (I can think of a couple). And why do you think the competitive community as a whole would not want something like breakable objects?

Jsteel3

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jsteel3
3DS FC
1263-6252-1703
Why do you speak on behalf of the competitive community as a whole not wanting some of these objects? There were some of these elements in stages used on a nation-wide basis (I can think of a couple). And why do you think the competitive community as a whole would not want something like breakable objects?
You said you can think of a couple but can you please say them?
In my memory there is no breakable, swimming, or lava objects in any real tournament settings like any stages in Melee, Brawl, 64?
Now I know that you have in your past comments have only tried to start an argument for argument sake like

Items, Customization, and ALL stages can be used in a "competitive" tournament, so long as "competitive" is being used in it's broadest definitions./quote]

And then when it question was answered in Kagato's answer and you took it as not a real answer and as rude when it was not at all.

And I think you missed the point I made about waiting for him to speak for himself.
I'm more interested in his meanings, as much as you stress the importance of your interpretation of such meanings.
Considering the fact that Jsteel already said "Thank you sir. This is the exact point this thread is about." I'm pretty sure that means that Kagato's "interpretations" are spot on.
Oh, I missed that since it wasn't a post to me and was ambiguous without looking at the quote.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Edit: No, this doesn't excuse the overall tone of his response, as unfortunate as that is.
So please if you can't gasp, understand, or don't want to understand what usual tournament stage choice rules are and just continue to rehash the same already answered question. I will ignore it and not respond.

ps: Also no one has had a tone with you this whole time! What is up with that edit on your post?

Thank you for reading, now lets get back to the topic at hand!

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
In my memory there is no breakable, swimming, or lava objects in any real tournament settings like any stages in Melee, Brawl, 64?
Brinstar and Delphino Plaza were counterpick stages in their respective games. The former had both lava and breakable sections while the latter had segments with water and even walkoffs.
Competitive 64, of course, had none of these but then 64 had no water or breakables at any play level.

T0MMY

Smash Master
You said you can think of a couple but can you please say them?
Now I know that you have in your past comments have only tried to start an argument for argument sake like
Brawl had water (swimming) in Delfino Plaza (which is a Stage I had to recently strike in a tournament set last weekend), and some nationals even utilized stages with lava like Norfair (in the case of MLG).
I'm not saying I approve of these stages for use in tournament, but have played in nationals which used them and thus why I asked why you would speak on behalf of the entire Smash Community with statements about not using them, because I experienced the opposite (to my competitive dismay).

I believe you are incorrect that I make argument for argument sake. Asking questions to evaluate the inherent truths of statements (deductive reasoning) is nothing of the matter. That is completely contrary to what I believe in and a slap to the face of philosophers like Socrates.

The tone of post I was referring to was Kagato's, not yours. Sorry if there was some confusion.

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
With stage sharing a possibility soon, custom stages used in a tournament is possible. However, the beautiful thing about this game is that there are about 15 candidates to choose from, neutral and counterpick, that give enormous variety. 17 if you count 2 other stages that would be good for teams only.

Custom stages can be used vs friends online though. So that alone keeps the stage builder from dying too soon.

Runaway Chico

Smash Rookie

Okay let me get some things straight:
1. This was on my first night of playing the game.
2. I'm new to the smash scene (mostly play UMvC3, Persona, and SSF4)
3. My intentions weren't to troll the lucina player. I was frustrated and in a 20 lose streak with Wario. I tried something new and it worked.
4. I'm an ignorant @$$ for taunting.
5. Showed this video to my brother and my cousins (they play mostly SSF4). They didn't see it as much as a cheap game but a lame one. Playing the keep-away game= lame boring gameplay. Post up the video either way. But the word "trolling" was never mentioned.
So yeah, I changed my play style up a bit. Found some combo videos on Wario that I can utilize online. I'm sorry if I offended some for my boring gameplay.

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
As much as I enjoy playing Wario, I probably would've rage quit too. I hate it when people play keep-away. But seeing as it aided with victory, it's hard to argue with results.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
I didn't see one single shield from Lucina, otherwise an annoying match for sure.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
This was my losers bracket match with a Wario in a 3DS tournament recently. I know how infuriating that is. But I was using Shulk so I could hit him off his bike, but the lag made it difficult to time resulting in me getting hit by the bike more often than doing the hitting.

My suggestions would be wait for him near the edge while his motorcycle is grounded and try to hit Wario off of it. Another suggestion is jump over or shield it and chase Wario as he jumps off his bike offstage since it'll take a second before he gets another bike. Also when the motorcycle is on stage, keep Wario away from it and try to punish him for it. A player like that will do whatever it takes to destroy the bike or eat it because if it's on stage they can't summon anymore bikes. Pay attention to spot his glows since that means his bike can be used again.

Last edited:

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
Despite how annoying it was, you and Wario were pretty even for the most part. You need to avoid giving a player like that any space at all costs. Chase him in the air while he jumps off his bike. You played for the most part in a style that would have been rather effective if Wario had been coming after you, which he wasn't at all.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I feel really bad for that Lucina. Looks like he was lagging quite a bit and taunting him while running away is really unsportsmanlike. I'd be really ashamed of myself if I did that.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Scum scrub spam. Moving along.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
The Lucina player isn't at fault here since you didn't decide to take her seriously until the very end of both stocks,so the bad guy here is you,not her.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Why did you continuously spam rolls and bike? I had a feeling this is how the spammer feels when someone actually decent beats them in For Glory.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Sorry for double post, but I am sure glad that you are happy that you annoyed someone so much that they rage quit. Smashboards is not the place for being rude to each other.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Sorry for double post, but I am sure glad that you are happy that you annoyed someone so much that they rage quit. Smashboards is not the place for being rude to each other.
Well..................................................................

Bruce Lee kicked Chuck Norris' ass. Take that for what you will.

ImJerry8D

Smash Rookie
Simple designs. Which is good for competitive play. I just hope no one stalls on that "Saving Grace" platform.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Well..................................................................

Bruce Lee kicked Chuck Norris' ***. Take that for what you will.
What does that have to do with anything at all? I don't care. It happened, ad it was an epic fight.

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I feel like this situation could've been dealt with by the Lucina player. However, if the player himself/herself isn't able to deal with a specific strategy you employ, then by all means keep doing it.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Don't hate the player, hate the game.
This thread should be locked, nobody wants to see people post videos of trolling someone just for the sake of trolling them and trying to embarrass them online. Smashboards isn't the place for this.

Dan

Smash Lord
I mean, I don't see how the Wario user could be having any fun playing that way, but maybe that was his honest tactic for trying to win, no trolling intended.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I mean, I don't see how the Wario user could be having any fun playing that way, but maybe that was his honest tactic for trying to win, no trolling intended.
Not a chance. Wario has plenty of moves. That was just trash playing. Plain and obvious.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
That is an extremely annoying playing style...admittedly it ended with you winning, but I would rage quit mid match at that, and never actually play you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom