• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Old school players competing in 2013.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Nah I'd play fox no matter what stage is chosen. Your best chance is probably one of the neutrals tho haha

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
To be fair it didn't have much momentum to begin with, so it would be more appropriate to say "this thread failed to improve"

JKJ

Smash Ace
So.....about oldschool players competing in 2013
are we ever actually gonna discuss it?

Snu?

Smash Rookie
Ken vs. PPU at Kings of Cali. Did they play at Kings of Cali 2?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i don't know

but ken blew up his pool 14-0 and never returned

also took on scar and lost 3-4, great match

homie can hang

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
To that end, I basically had no warm-up and very little practice going into FC Legacy and ended up at about the 50th percentile. Ended up a little higher than that at a few regionals. What this suggests is that the game has not COMPLETELY TRANSFORMED, like some people are apt to insist. If I, a guy who was maybe top 10-15% 6 years prior can walk in blind and still make top 50%, that hardly suggests a radical transformation, and it also suggests that with a little commitment a top player of old doesn't have that far of a road to travel to at least get competitive again.

However, has the top of the game stratified even further away? Heck yeah - the metagame continues to advance and add new layers to gameplay. Whereas before there were probably 3-4 skill layers between the top 50 players, now there are about 10-15 skill layers. The difference is that given the ever-shrinking amount of knowledge to add until "full-game-knowledge" is reached, each strata is smaller and smaller with each new layer. Those layers may be smaller in overall game knowledge per layer, but the execution barriers get larger and larger.

There's no way to know how many "old-school" players could actually traverse their way through the execution barriers if they really tried, but it is clear that it would take no small amount of work before they were able to do so. These are not trivial barriers that have developed over the years.

Engo

Smash Ace
Chu was amazing even after his prime. His last tournament was Zenith 2012 where he got 3rd and was able to keep up with PP and M2K. The guy even beat Hungrybox with freakin IC's. That's a really tough matchup.

Also I just happened to watch some Big House 2 videos today and watch Cunning vs SFAT. Cunning looks pretty solid for such an oldschool player. Not sure if was practicing around that time or if he's still playing but I'm just commenting on what I saw in that match.

Top Bottom