• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

po pimpus

Smash Ace
While that may be true, Po has, and will always continue to trash talk anyone in ANY game he plays. I trash talk during Pokemon matches, son:

"Yo, this ***** sending out his Salamence like its gonna do something."

*Opponent's Poke gets KO'd* "Call it BACK, Ash!"

*Opponent does something predictable, like switching in Scizor* "I've NEVER seen a Scizor before! You must be the most original player I've ever met!"

*I hit the opponent with a Focus Punch on the switch* Opponent switches: "GENGAR is tightening its' focus!" Blissey comes in, eats about 75%: "FALCOOON PAWNCH! BOOM, *****! Blissey ain't nothin' to me, son! Get that **** OUTTA HERE!"

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
If you trash talk people in Brawl their vaginas start to bleed, and I don't feel like dealing with that.
Thats the best part of sex though right?

While that may be true, Po has, and will always continue to trash talk anyone in ANY game he plays.
I've been talkin mad **** on Sorority Life, DDD represent!

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Flier for hype purposes. Embed it into your webpages, blogs, etc.

Although printing these things is pricey and distributing them difficult, if anyone were so inclined
this flier may be resized to fit on an 17 x 22 poster, and 8.5 x 11 poster (regular paper size) or a 4.25 x 5.5 handout flier without any significant loss in fidelity. Click to view or download full resolution file.

Updated:

It was a large amount of information to fit on a small flier.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Just bring a full setup for the waiver! read rules yo!
We just have to pay for the rooms and stuff, anything left over goes to anime club since they get us the discounted rooms, this year I had to go for more expensive rooms because its 2 days and it wasn't in any school organization budget.

I applied for emergency funding to pay for some pizza and help offset the room cost, but even if granted it wouldn't be distributed until the end of january so we would need to pay for anything we wanted up front and without guarantee of reimbursement.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
15's still really steep for a venue free, especially for OoS players.
idk ive never really done this before, i just looked at postings for tourneys of similar size and went with that. if you think its deterring people perhaps it could changed
from
10 for 1 tourney, 15 for two or more tourneys
to
10 for 2 tourneys, 15 for three or more

Most people will probably bring something to get discounts maybe being more liberal on the discounts would help. I want as many people to be able to afford it as possible.

While we need setups, I'm equally worried about the building cost since I can't get a guarantee on the room reimbursement, it would take 20 to 30 people's fees without discounts to get it paid for.

its also been there since the original post so I wish someone would have pointed it out earlier...thoughts?

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
You don't expect to get at least 20-30 people here? I mean, if you bump it down to $10 then it will be much more affordable for everyone, and I'm sure that even with setup discounts you should be able to cover the cost. If you give half off for bringing a full setup, then if you get ten people who bring setups and twenty more who don't, that's $250 right there. And surely we can bring in more than 30 people, right?

FK1

Smash Journeyman
You don't expect to get at least 20-30 people here? I mean, if you bump it down to $10 then it will be much more affordable for everyone, and I'm sure that even with setup discounts you should be able to cover the cost. If you give half off for bringing a full setup, then if you get ten people who bring setups and twenty more who don't, that's $250 right there. And surely we can bring in more than 30 people, right?
Brawl Tournament Files: See NoKoast.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Yeah, a $15 venue fee is just too much, Forrest. $15 +10 per tournament x at least 3 events I wanted to enter = No I ain't paying it. I understand that running a tournament costs money, and you want this to be a grandiose event, but Smashers are typically poor... Back in the old days, when Marc and I were running down to Texas every couple of months for tournies, a tourney only cost us around $20 for both singles and teams, and this was even at bigger events, such as MLG, and a couple of EVO sponsored events. The 'venue fee' is something that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm sure 90% of the community feels the same way.
You want to make to cover costs, cool. But don't let it become the overriding factor. As a TO, you have to find a balance-- How many people do you need to show up if the tourney costs(or the venue fee) were lowered by $5? How many people do you reasonably expect to show for each event? How many people do you expect to enter multiple events? Add all those up, divide the expected entrants by half (because people are flakey) and that's what you should expect to take in.

If anything, you should provide a lower cost to pre-register or something to that effect. *The waived venue fees in light of bringing set-ups is a good step* Then those that enter early or provide set-ups are rewarded and lazy bums and johnny-come-latelys can pay a higher entry fee for taking their sweet time. I am not too concerned about pot size, as I'm not Chris, or Dojo, or whoever has a legitimate shot at winning singles, but I would like to be rewarded if I make it to at least Top Three, as I'm sure would most players. For every M2K that demands a high payout, there are at least twenty who don't give a **** and will come just for the experience and to have a good time with friends.

In short, at least lower the venue fee by $5 if you have to have it, and at least offer some sort of incentive discount for those that wish to enter multiple events. I want you to succeed in this massive undertaking, Forrest, but I don't want you to break the bank trying to make it work. Just find that middle ground, man.
Good luck, and I'll help as much as I can, good sir.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Alright, we can just make it a flat 10 dollars, waived if you bring a full setup, and halved if you bring a partial one. As of now I have about 50+ interested entrants, which hopefully nets enough to pay for the venue and put a little bit into the anime club fund since we get their discount.

Flier with fixed Venue Fee and uniform colors.

Let me know what you think.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Are we talking about OHSNAP? Hasn't the venue fee for OHSNAP been 5 dollars forever? I don't know if I'm willing to pay 20 bucks to participate in everything. I was kinda hoping 5 for venue, and 5 for doubles. At least that's how all the tournaments for melee and brawl that I've gone to have been except for the one in Kansas with "dark rain" and the MLG events, but those were extremely huge.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Uniform $10 for entry, free if you bring a set up.

$10 per event is how I would run it except $5 for Minus/64/Duelist.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Uniform $10 for entry, free if you bring a set up.

$10 per event is how I would run it except $5 for Minus/64/Duelist.
Thats how I have it now. Any other problems you guys see I posted this a month ago so I can't imagine anything should be a surprise at this point...
1 dollar for minus tho as its more about being crazy fun than winning from my perspective

Are we talking about OHSNAP? Hasn't the venue fee for OHSNAP been 5 dollars forever
Well we couldn't get the free rooms on the second floor that Oh Snap is usually held in, nor is it in my club budget to pay for these rooms, although as a student organization we can get them half off.

The university funding committee isn't able to meet until Jan 19th, so I won't be able to get any money from them beforehand. If I use anime club fundraiser money from last year to invest into these rooms I absolutely have to put it back, and really should put more back as I'm putting my efforts into this instead of a Halo Reach tournament they asked for that would just be mad profit since I don't give a **** about Halo rly and would be selling **** expensive canned sodas there for 1 dollar a piece and BAWLS for like 5 bucks.

My club is helping me put everything together, they have even offered housing and setups and most of them don't even play smash so I intend to to give any fees leftover to the club fund as I did with Intimikill which helped fund our A-Kon hotel rooms. Any TOs or other OKcrew ppl would be welcome to attend our A-Kon trip this year btw.

If it were free I'd have a 5 dollar venue fee and put half the money into a bonus pot or something. Maybe pay for an account where we can broadcast high bandwidth HD streams because most of the free services suck.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I'm not exactly sure but I feel like 5 dollars has been the venue fee usually. Maybe I've been to more brawl tournaments than I remember. I dunno I just feel like most venue fees have been 5 bucks, but I have no evidence or memory of exact facts.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
so... i just bought my friends 360 for $40 bucks.... but he didnt have a controller... anybody have an extra one they'd give me? or maybe a discounted price? im a poor irish dude

po pimpus

Smash Ace
You know, Kevin, I have to wonder how many times you've actually paid with your own money to enter a tournament... Usually it's Andy, or one of your teammates who has paid your way in, so of course you wouldn't remember what the fees were, lol.
I don't even remember you paying for meals at tournaments... Kevin, you're a bum :p

Speaking of Kevin being a bum, next time I come to a smashfest, you better have your butt there, Kevin! I haven't seen you in nearly a year. What's up with that?

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Good point, Tom. Someone have something this weekend, I can actually show up early for once!
Then I can make fun of Kevin as well as Chris and Hanson.

It will be a party!

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
im just giving you a hard time brandon. kevin didnt even come to that gaterhing.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I've made sure to be better about paying my own things this semester. Now if I can't afford it I just don't go instead of asking someone to pay for me.

Your right. I've not been to most of gatherings. I'll be honest though, smash is great and I love playing it, but it's at the bottom of my priority list.

On top of doing HW, work, class, and working out I need to finish designing all the 3D levels, enemies, characters, cut-scenes and finish the soundtrack by next December. Any spare time I have at the end of the day I like to use on smash, but by then it's usually 1:30 or 2 am. And the only people playing that late are Forest and Cats on Wednesdays.

Shade_

Smash Ace
The next game will be one of the first full games that me and my bro are making. Unlike last game where I mainly just composed the soundtrack, everything I listed above is my job for this next game project. I've got about 70% of it done, I just need to finish the last 6 levels, add in a few enemies, and then do all the soundtrack. The soundtrack is the hardest part because you can't just force yourself to have inspiration lol. It is basically just gona be composed of whatever songs I can think of between now and next december.

I'll also be collecting voice actors/actresses between now and then too which will also take quite some time. When I start doing the cut-scenes I'll be needing to write a script for the characters but (as most of you know) I'm not the best at that. So I might have some help with that *cough Yawara lol. But I'll worry about that when I get there.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Shade has helped me so much in Melee, I'm tieing up loose ends on some addy and this is one of them. Everyone that has helped my game recently thanks! Po, Kosy, Shade, but especially Sars and Zinth!

And cats for shiek practice!!

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, it's been awhile. Is anything going on this weekend? When's the next tournament?

JK. Finals have kept me from reading Smashboards and now I'm like seven pages behind. I'll either catch up tomorrow or Friday.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I want a smashfest either Friday or Saturday that involves literally every single person ever with multiple TV sets and tons of Norwegian, big-boobied babes dancing around us and cheering us on with sexy chants.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I want a smashfest either Friday or Saturday that involves literally every single person ever with multiple TV sets and tons of Norwegian, big-boobied babes dancing around us and cheering us on with sexy chants.
I'm not a fan of large breasts. How about some small nipped asians? You know the Asian crowd right?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Only the baddest girls in town. The Asian girls that aren't pre-med majors or accounting. The ones that are raised by white parents.

But I'm going to send a personal letter to the Spice Girls and the other people in Destiny's Child to arrive to this smashfest requesting that they have sex with each of us.

Or I could just settle for Brownies. HOLLAAA

Top Bottom