• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay, seriously. Marth right?

Ouroboro

Smash Cadet
My worst matchup with Samus at this moment is Marth. It's terrible. Spaced fairs, nairs, d-tilts, and random normals make this matchup extremely hard to win in the neutral.

So, this is how I'm handling this match-up at the moment.

I will Spot dodge d-tilts, normals, any move besides, like, nair. I'll try to down smash after that generally, upb tends to get me punished. I'm working on trying to edge cancel them for safety, not there yet.

When marth jumps I basically try to call out the fair and crouch cancel downsmash/dtilt. Sometimes I get naired, thus is the life. Other times, if I get the proper read, I try to fair/nair to beat them to the punch. Sometimes they stay still and I get juggled.

I find I get grabbed a bunch, which is fine really because di'ing away saves me most the time, however, that leads to my weakest aspect of this match-up, which is recovering.

Battlefield is stupid, I tether the ledge and half the time I don't get the sweet spot because Melee lol. Other stages, besides the side of pokemon where I literally can't see how I'm recovering, I can get the sweet spot and get ledge, most the time I do get ledge either with tricky bombs or varied up b's. The problem then is how do I get back onto the stage without getting dtilted a bazillion times, or straight out wave dash back f smashed. Tournament winner is dumb, rolling works once a game, wave landing on gets me knocked off, and fair tends to get fmashed or stilted before I can do anything. Recently I learned about no impact landing sheild, which I'm starting to involve in my game, which is lovely because if I can get to a shielding position before Marth f smash I get a juicy punish.

Edge guarding marth isn't terrible, my only saving grace really. I use missiles if they go high, and do my best to keep them low or force the jump with neutral charge shots or homing missiles. Once they go low, if I'm perfect, invincible nair wins. (I'm not always perfect.)

I see some people drop bombs off ledge and time up tilts. I ain't about that life.

Neutral basically revolves around trying to get effective trades, smash 2-3 hit combos. Dtilt, platform dair, nair (maybe dair) platform charge shot tech chase. Which is like, about it I guess. Down throw (good luck with that btw) into either dash attack, fair, or no di nair is a thing I guess.
Are there any uair, fair combos? Sometimes I get a fair into nair.

Besides that the whole game I'm looking for good dsmashes, forced options with missiles, mini combos, edge guards, and spaced normals that seem to get grabbed because Marths a dirty pedophile.

Please help.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
My worst matchup with Samus at this moment is Marth. It's terrible. Spaced fairs, nairs, d-tilts, and random normals make this matchup extremely hard to win in the neutral.

So, this is how I'm handling this match-up at the moment.

I will Spot dodge d-tilts, normals, any move besides, like, nair. I'll try to down smash after that generally, upb tends to get me punished. I'm working on trying to edge cancel them for safety, not there yet.

When marth jumps I basically try to call out the fair and crouch cancel downsmash/dtilt. Sometimes I get naired, thus is the life. Other times, if I get the proper read, I try to fair/nair to beat them to the punch. Sometimes they stay still and I get juggled.

I find I get grabbed a bunch, which is fine really because di'ing away saves me most the time, however, that leads to my weakest aspect of this match-up, which is recovering.

Battlefield is stupid, I tether the ledge and half the time I don't get the sweet spot because Melee lol. Other stages, besides the side of pokemon where I literally can't see how I'm recovering, I can get the sweet spot and get ledge, most the time I do get ledge either with tricky bombs or varied up b's. The problem then is how do I get back onto the stage without getting dtilted a bazillion times, or straight out wave dash back f smashed. Tournament winner is dumb, rolling works once a game, wave landing on gets me knocked off, and fair tends to get fmashed or stilted before I can do anything. Recently I learned about no impact landing sheild, which I'm starting to involve in my game, which is lovely because if I can get to a shielding position before Marth f smash I get a juicy punish.

Edge guarding marth isn't terrible, my only saving grace really. I use missiles if they go high, and do my best to keep them low or force the jump with neutral charge shots or homing missiles. Once they go low, if I'm perfect, invincible nair wins. (I'm not always perfect.)

I see some people drop bombs off ledge and time up tilts. I ain't about that life.

Neutral basically revolves around trying to get effective trades, smash 2-3 hit combos. Dtilt, platform dair, nair (maybe dair) platform charge shot tech chase. Which is like, about it I guess. Down throw (good luck with that btw) into either dash attack, fair, or no di nair is a thing I guess.
Are there any uair, fair combos? Sometimes I get a fair into nair.

Besides that the whole game I'm looking for good dsmashes, forced options with missiles, mini combos, edge guards, and spaced normals that seem to get grabbed because Marths a dirty pedophile.

Please help.
Answer you arent gonna wanna hear but... go read up on marth (Marth melee boards) to understand the character better, go read the samus vs marth Mu guides out there... they exist (samus melee boards).

Ouroboro

Smash Cadet
I have looked for Samus marth matchup guides but I've fallen short in finding them, alternatively I've been watching pro matches and analyzing them as much as I can. Any help directing me where they are. I checked the above pinned thread, but I only seen detailed matchup info on like, sheik and fox. Maybe I'm missing the marth one.

Litt

Samus
I have looked for Samus marth matchup guides but I've fallen short in finding them, alternatively I've been watching pro matches and analyzing them as much as I can. Any help directing me where they are. I checked the above pinned thread, but I only seen detailed matchup info on like, sheik and fox. Maybe I'm missing the marth one.
The marth one is the same for all characters, you cant have priority so you have to zone. Go read for what marth has to do vs samus for what you should be doing as samus in the marth forum.

Top Bottom