• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay, I did two really weird things with R.O.B. that I didn't know could be done

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Okay, for one, I couldn't record the match because it went too long. And for two, I totally forgot what character I was playing against and my opponent forgot too (he was just choosing Random), but I am positive that it couldn't have been a character with particularly strange effects, otherwise we wouldn't have been like "wtf?"

I was just messing around, and two really weird things happened

1. I was in the air, and as I did a b-air, I moved backwards. And no, it wasn't because of momentum from being hit or anything like that, I literally was moving on my own in the air and did a b-air in which the burst moved towards my opponent. And it wasn't a backward Up+B b-air burst, because the movement kept going in that direction and I maintained that momentum after the move had stopped.
  2. I was charging my gyro in mid-air, and about half-a-second into the charging, R.O.B. completely turned around to face the other way. Mind you, I was still in the middle of charging my gyro, and R.O.B. turned as he was in the middle of charging.

Okay, wtf? I've tried to replicate these things, but the closest I have gotten is doing a gyro-cancel in a turned-around Gyro Charge, but I don't think that is what I originally did because I distinctly heard the gyro charging the whole time instead of being cancelled. The main problem has been that I don't even know wtf I did, i.e. what inputs I put in, what the specific conditions for it to occur were.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? Does anyone have any clues as to what happened here?

Sudai

Stuff here
The turn around thing I know how to explain. Just charge the gyro then hit the opposite direction you're facing really quickly. Can do it with all B moves. Falcon/Warlock punch are the most familiar to the populace. I think the easiest place this can be seen other than with CFalc/Ganon is in Marth's dancing blade. But yeah, I'm fairly sure that's what you did cause I've done that a few times on accident when trying to wave bounce reverse gyro-cancel.

Not sure on the BAir thing though. Where was the opponent in relation to you? May have been the effects of a "pushing" move. (IE Ness's psi-magnet when you stop using it or Pit's Wing of Icarus.)

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I ran my b-air into him and then kept going. And I don't think he was using a character that had a "pushing" move effect, otherwise we would've just shrugged it off.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
"Wind" effect people oft forget about, maybe? Releasing Ness's PSI Magnet, Sheik's Vanish pushback...

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
No, it definitely was not a character with such effects. And if it was Sheik's pushback, it would have pushed me away from her, would it have not?

I'm gonna do some testing tomorrow.

RubenSSBB

Smash Apprentice
maybe M&W he have a pushing move effect... i think

edit: i was reading and u said that it wasn´t a char with pushing move effect.. so nevermind

Sudai

Stuff here
If you went through the opponent with it, then it definitely wasn't a push effect from a character.

What stage where you on and approximately where were you on the stage?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
The backwards B-air has happened to me TONS of times. I can't replicate it either... but its happened to me on BF near the middle, and edge & Smashville near the middle, and FD in almost every 'section'. Its usually happened when the B-air came out at the same, or nearly the same time as my opponent. I've experienced it against Toon Links, Links, Wolfs.... actually, against most of the cast at some point or other. Its odd stuff, but I certainly can't explain it.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
you say it wasn't after being hit, but, and sorry for nitpicking, were you shielding? If you get hit in your shield and then shield-drop->bair, the momentum of your shield being hit will somehow eliminate the push you get from doing the bair, so you'll get that effect that you're talking about. But this doesn't seem like the scenario you experienced...hmmmmm....

Wait, robots don't dream... or do they?
You obviously still haven't seen WALL-E...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I did see Wall-E, not quite violent enough for me, a lot of other Disney films have it beat.

Does momentum really carry over from a shield hit to your jump? I've never experienced this I guess because I never jump after my shield is hit. ROB has so many great ground-based options OoS.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
If you went through the opponent with it, then it definitely wasn't a push effect from a character.

What stage where you on and approximately where were you on the stage?
We were playing random, and the only three stages I have on Random Stage Select are Smashville, Final Destination, and Battlefield.

you say it wasn't after being hit, but, and sorry for nitpicking, were you shielding? If you get hit in your shield and then shield-drop->bair, the momentum of your shield being hit will somehow eliminate the push you get from doing the bair, so you'll get that effect that you're talking about. But this doesn't seem like the scenario you experienced...hmmmmm....

You obviously still haven't seen WALL-E...
This is very well what could have happened. I've totally forgotten the match now, but I think we were in the middle of an air-battle.

But I could be hallucinating that and it's actually the shield thing.

zzz99

Smash Apprentice
i've gone backwards with the b-air in boss battles
but not in regular matches :\
maybe as you hit the character as soon as the bair comes out and you hit toward the character you can keep going? i'm not sure

toasty

Smash Hero
I KO'ed a Marth yesterday from the edge of FD with the proximity blast of the laser [it was fresh and he was at 125]. Neither of us had any idea that would happen [and this guy has very good DI too]. It was almost as slow of a flight-to-KO as it is when you get hit by the back tip of MK's dair and you go floating ever so slowly to your death...ugh. oh right, proximity laserblast KO? sweeeeeet....

you know what that means? Maybe you can combo a fair into an upward-angled laser since they'll probably DI just high enough to avoid a double fair? at a decent enough damage off the stage, this might just work =D!!!

Sudai

Stuff here
Was he charging a smash by any chance?

Recent findings have shown that people die about 20% earlier while charging smashes. (No effing idea why Sakurai would add that) I'm sure I could find a link to the thread if you guys wanted

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Hey, I just did the b-air thing again, and I wasn't shielding!

I was off-stage vs. a Game and Watch, and my friend said he did not do up +B or Up + A (he claimed he just kept trying to Judgement me, which seemed right because Judgements kept on coming out). I b-aired and continued backing up as I pushed him to his death.

It was great.

toasty

Smash Hero
wtf how did you do that?

Also: yeah that Ninjalink video is what I did except I was standing on the edge, Marth was in the air [and thus not charging a smash] and I don't remember if it was charged laser or not, nor do I know if that's even relevant.

Curse you NL for being a week earlier than me ;____;

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Do you have any more details about button imputs, ect?
I honestly have no idea what I am inputting, considering I wavebounce and I have no idea how I am doing it finger-wise (like seriously, I thought about trying to figure out what my fingers did and then I couldn't do it, and then I decided to just not think about it and then I could do it again). Maybe I should just like...set up a camera to record the screen and my hands at the same time.

In any case, I know that I wavebounced with my Up+B to do my b-air kill like I always do, though, but it acted very differently from what I generally expected.

And he claims he was just spamming side+B.

maybe judgement has a vortex like effect? o_O

yeah those point blank lasers have deceptively good knockback
I looooove point blank lasers as a mix-up option for f-air juggling, especially if they are given enough room to airdodge at the right time, and then BAM laser in yo face.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
wtf how did you do that?

Also: yeah that Ninjalink video is what I did except I was standing on the edge, Marth was in the air [and thus not charging a smash] and I don't remember if it was charged laser or not, nor do I know if that's even relevant.

Curse you NL for being a week earlier than me ;____;
what are u talkin about

edit. oh that video. Yea thats my signature thing gettin comboed into that. ^_^

Top Bottom