• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay... I can't get better at Brawl...

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Basically, none of my friends play Brawl seriously, only one of my brothers is on par with me, and he doesn't like Brawl any more. Also the fact that there are no tournaments were I live, and that my Wi-Fi adapter is screwed doesn't help.

Any ways I can get better?

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
fix your adapter is probably the easiest solution

otherwise start hosting your own tournaments or start traveling.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
Get a ride to a tournament. When you go to college, go to one that's in Southern California(Bring the Wii!), there's plenty of competition there.

Try and actively think in your matches, try and predict your friends' every single move. If they roll a certainl way during situation X, then run to where they WILL be and hit them when they come out of it.

For the time being, when you play against your friends, do everything you possibly can to not get hit. If you're still losing at least one stock, try and not lose any at all. Once you can 3 stock them consistantly, give yourself a damage handicap.

Do everything you can to make it harder for you to win.

As well, pick up more characters. If you think Character X would be cool to use, use them. You're not in any tournies, you probably won't be anytime soon, you don't have much competition. If you can't evolve your abilities as a player, increase your technical knowledge. Use Mario for a single play session and no one else. Next time you play for awhile, use another character. When tournaments are available, go back to your mains. You may get rusty with them, but you'll always be able to get back to "where you were."

Or, to be more specified, learn everything you can about your character, and use all of their moves. When you grab(and shield grabbing is a very good tool) use Pummel to get extra damage, then throw. Use Tilts more, or that one Aerial attack that you just can't hit with.

You can still improve your game, you just need to be creative. Even all of these things will still mean you'll reach a peak where what you really need is a better player to kick you ***, but this should keep your busy in the meantime.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Play random lvl 9 computers with a random charecter.
Over and over again.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
Play random lvl 9 computers with a random charecter.
Over and over again.
NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Computers have very predictable reactions. They will always fall for the same crap every single time, you just have to learn what they fall for. They only condition you to certain reactions, and it will be very to break them once you have good people to play again.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
The random characters gives him opportunities to learn other characters play styles and he can add what he learned from other characters to his mains play.
Hes not playing to win in these cases, hes playing to learn and get better.

Onendev

Smash Rookie
Get a ride to a tournament. When you go to college, go to one that's in Southern California(Bring the Wii!), there's plenty of competition there.
COMPLETELY DISREGARD THIS STATEMENT. If you are choosing a college, the idea of "whether or not there will be smash" should not be on your priority list at all.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
COMPLETELY DISREGARD THIS STATEMENT. If you are choosing a college, the idea of "whether or not there will be smash" should not be on your priority list at all.
>_>

He wants to get better at Brawl. I gave him a way to get better.

Doesn't mean it's a good way.

The random characters gives him opportunities to learn other characters play styles and he can add what he learned from other characters to his mains play.
Hes not playing to win in these cases, hes playing to learn and get better.
Then he should play Random against his friends. Same purpose. And also, playing to learn leads to playing to win. If you learn incorrectly, you win incorrectly. Which means you'll lose correctly.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I was under the impression that there was at least some semblance of a scene in Ontario? Maybe I'm completely off-base here.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Then he should play Random against his friends. Same purpose. And also, playing to learn leads to playing to win. If you learn incorrectly, you win incorrectly. Which means you'll lose correctly.
He said his friends don't play seriously. <_<
If he has no better alternative, this is what he should do. If his friends played seriously I'd say play your friends, but since they don't, computers offer somewhat of a challenge to characters you aren't used to. And computers play to win anyway.
And it helps build just a liiiittle experience.
Its not as if its going to hurt him any.

XienZo

Smash Lord
He said his friends don't play seriously. <_<
If he has no better alternative, this is what he should do. If his friends played seriously I'd say play your friends, but since they don't, computers offer somewhat of a challenge to characters you aren't used to. And computers play to win anyway.
And it helps build just a liiiittle experience.
Its not as if its going to hurt him any.
"Wow, if I ledge camp, they'll kill themselves trying to get me! I could do this blindfolded!"

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
When I first read the title, I kinda thought that you had achieved some sort of plateau when it came to Brawl, and couldn't surpass that...

Lol...

Anyways, if you absolute have no one to play against, you'll have to stick with CPUs, or hopefully you'll get online capabiliites. Or you could just force your friends and whatever to get good, attend tournaments, etc etc. Experience is a big factor in this.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
How good are you at adapting with your main to the stages it does worst at? I'd play one lvl 9 at a time that's one of the characters that yours is worst against on the stage a player of that character would conterpick against you. Practice one stage & matchup up at a time, so you can make breakthroughs in specific strategies for specific situations more quickly. Pretend the CPU is a human; don't take excessive advantage of their linear gameplay style, and if they have a chaingrab against you, imagine having to avoid their grabs, etc.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Look for tournaments in your area!

Use Allisbrawl's player finder and tournament and find people/tournies nearby.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
I'd love going into a tournaments, believe me, it's just that London is so dead. I've tried getting a tournament up, or just friendlies, but it doesn't seem to be happening :(

Hopefully I can get a new Wi-Fi Adapter, or direct connection.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Theres the niagra tourney & GTA tourney plus plenty of casual setups nearby you. Just go to Canada under the Regional Discussion.

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
i have this exact same problem, all my friends hate brawl or they're just no competion to me. I want a challenge so i can get better. somebody that can beat all my mains and makes me think. i've treid level 9 computers but they are still to easy. the "A" in AI is highly present and doesnt help me get better much. wi-fi for brawl sucks ( or at leats for me it does) it takes waaayyyyy to long to get a match and isnt worth the time

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
"Wow, if I ledge camp, they'll kill themselves trying to get me! I could do this blindfolded!"
If you're playing to get better, why would you do something that would not improve your game at all? Use your brain a little.

XienZo

Smash Lord
If you're playing to get better, why would you do something that would not improve your game at all? Use your brain a little.
Yeah, but for some people, 0% kills get too addiciting, especially people who are first beginning Brawl competitively. Its a non-issue with people who know what they're doing.

LegionBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Getting 3stocked Over...And over and OVER
Until you can fix your lan adapter your best bet would be to play your brother or friends if you can't play against >LVL 3< computers level 9 have inhuman reactions and make you develop bad habits. Stick with your main and secondaries don't play random chars you develop instinctive reactions that get easily mixed up between chars.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
London isn't exactly tiny. If you ask around at EB Games and such, I'm sure that they'll tell you that you and your friends aren't the only people who've purchased and thus probably play Brawl. I'm not sure if there's a London thread or not but there is more than likely many other Brawl players in your area. If they're not 'serious' players, then try starting up some smashfests or something on a weekly basis. If there's no Brawl scene in London it'll be up to you to make one.

Top Bottom