• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ok....Spiking with Aether....

Appdude

Smash Cadet
While trying to recover low with ike, my opponents sometimes get a little ballsy and try to interrupt my recov. What ends up happening, is that I'll up B, they will hit my armor, I'll catch them in Aether, and on the final strike, I'll spike 'em and grab the ledge.

1. Is it viable to even TRY to consistently do this while not trying to recover?

2. Is it WORTH risking jumping offstage, and trying to Aether Spike?

Because it's pretty dang cool.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
If you can pull it off consistently, I'd say use it sporadically. Using it too much makes you predictable, which could lead to your opponent ending you with a spike. Personally, I can't get it consistent enough to feel comfortable making it part of my gameplan. I'm more likely to have the spike hit the stage and cause a stage spike instead, so I've worked on using the surprise to use a rising b-air instead.

JancroFin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jancr0fin
3DS FC
5472-8792-6103
You can try to do it from onstage, if you're facing the right direction and their percent is low enough and you get a D-throw and you're like, the perfect distance away, but otherwise it's not worth the risk.

But it does make a hell of a good recovery.

And can be the most disrespectful of stage spikes

Last edited:

Appdude

Smash Cadet
OMG, Thanks for the footage, I can do it, but I haven't found a recording to analyze. Thanks!!

JancroFin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jancr0fin
3DS FC
5472-8792-6103
Just remember that this is a flashy punishment for a certain kind of stupidity, and not a to be used any time you want.

Though if you really want to make it a part of your repertoire, see if you can use it with your back to the ledge and move backward so you land on stage while spiking the other guy.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I don't think that tactic would actually work, would it? Since Ragnell sends out the final hitbox at the moment when Ike hits the ground, the spiking hit would be immediately followed by the regular last hit sending the opponent into the air.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
I don't think that tactic would actually work, would it? Since Ragnell sends out the final hitbox at the moment when Ike hits the ground, the spiking hit would be immediately followed by the regular last hit sending the opponent into the air.
Yeah, pretty much. The only reason Aether can spike is because the last hit never connects when you grab the ledge out of it, so they just keep going down.

Now if Ike could grab the ledge backwards while using Aether, then we're talking.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Yeah, pretty much. The only reason Aether can spike is because the last hit never connects when you grab the ledge out of it, so they just keep going down.

Now if Ike could grab the ledge backwards while using Aether, then we're talking.
Maybe someday...

Arrei

Smash Lord
I want to see some doubles play where Ike purposely drags the opponent off stage with his back facing the ledge and his partner saves him from doom by grabbing him. That'd be amazing to see.

JancroFin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jancr0fin
3DS FC
5472-8792-6103
Actually, now that we're talking about it, does it look like Ike gets more horizontal movement out of it when he has somebody caught in the Aether? If you loom at the vine with Falcon, Ike looks way too far away to grab the ledge from where he starts.

JancroFin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jancr0fin
3DS FC
5472-8792-6103
Hey, hold up.

How did Lucario even get caught in that?

Arrei

Smash Lord
Looks like his feet got caught in Ike's stationary spin, sucking him into the usual spot for the attack.

Last edited:

Appdude

Smash Cadet
Trueblade said:
"Now if Ike could grab the ledge backwards while using Aether, then we're talking."

Um....YES PLEASE haha. That would make this easier.

I noticed while trying to Aether Spike, you really have to focus on sweet spotting your distance from the ledge while coming down. If you're too close, you will grab the ledge, but your opponent will hit the stage and fly upwards. If you're too far, you will spike your opponent, but not before u miss the ledge and SD. U need to perfectly space yourself so that you spike, and then grab, while leaving room for your opponent to fly downwards, and not hit the stage.

If we could grab the ledge while using Aether backwards, we wouldn't have to do any of that haha. We just need to make sure we grab the ledge haha.

Last edited:

Appdude

Smash Cadet

This is true unfortunately

WorstGanonWorld

Smash Cadet
NNID
EziPizi
Trueblade said:
"Now if Ike could grab the ledge backwards while using Aether, then we're talking."

Um....YES PLEASE haha. That would make this easier.

I noticed while trying to Aether Spike, you really have to focus on sweet spotting your distance from the ledge while coming down. If you're too close, you will grab the ledge, but your opponent will hit the stage and fly upwards. If you're too far, you will spike your opponent, but not before u miss the ledge and SD. U need to perfectly space yourself so that you spike, and then grab, while leaving room for your opponent to fly downwards, and not hit the stage.

If we could grab the ledge while using Aether backwards, we wouldn't have to do any of that haha. We just need to make sure we grab the ledge haha.
If you are too close ( like right beneath the stage) you can move away from the stage just a bit while Ike jumps for Ragnell. This way you´ll be barely in range to grab the ledge while the opponent takes a trip to the bottom of the stage :D
It´s super effective against spike happy players! (Looking at you, FG Captain Falcon)

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
At about 0:49 of this video, I meteor a dude using Aether. When I'm playing Ike, I often go for it as a suicide move. I refer to it as Aethercide.

Of course, at this point, I'm playing as if I'm using Bowser's flying slam (initiator loses) so I only attempt this with a stock advantage.

Top Bottom