• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ok, Online Isn't Perfect, What WOULD Have Been Perfect?

M.K

Level 55
We all know that Wi-Fi Brawl is....lacking, laggy, listless, and lame. Anyways, what would be your IDEAL online. I mean, everyone wants those leaderboards, online tournament mode, Co-op SSE, and names w/ random matches, but is there anything that you secretly yearned for? Perhaps....minigames....or pie-eating contests?

Post your ideal online setting for Brawl....HERE!

Gill

Smash Journeyman
-No lag. In Mario Kart, 12 people can race with no lag, with Brawl, two people in the same state can't. Thats insulting and outright unacceptable.
-Some sort of lobby system, rather than ******** friend codes.
-If not a lobby system, then something like Pokemon Battle Revolution where you could search for players who wanna fight with the same settings as you.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Short thing before I post: I love the game, but I hate the ideals of its director.

Now that that's out of the way...

Ever since I started playing online with Brawl, I always felt that something was missing. What I feel Brawl's online needs is something that should satisfy everyone on all levels, yet still stays within Nintendo's standards. I mean, look at Mario Kart Wii and Mario Strikers Charged. We need an online like that.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
A system where you set up your game options (1v1, 2v2, etc.), game mode (stock, time, coin, or any), item settings, and stage settings (i.e., which are allowed for random).

Then you pick a stage, either a stage, or random. Then the system searches for someone online whose settings:

Have some overlap with yours for stages
Are mathematically close to yours for items

Then it picks a stage in a fashion agreeable to both persons' stage settings, and goes by the least permissive item settings.

About stage selection: If you pick random, someone is compatible with you only if they picked random and you allow some stage which you also allow, OR they did not pick a stage which you disallowed.
If one player didn't pick random, it's that stage. If both picked random, it's random between all stages you both allow.

This is for Basic Brawl.

For brawling with Friends, what they have is good, except controlling game settings would make something like sense. (Why the #$%@ can we not? Really? They specifically made that difficult for us...)

I'd make a statement on lag, but what can I say other than "I hear there's no good explanation for why your Wifis are suck, Nintendo. Good job."

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Basically, I would have the online be less laggy and more efficient; it at least needs that. But anyways, I would like a rival list for people you face on "with anyone". I mean, you probably fought some good people there, and would like to face them again. Unfortuanately, chances of that are very low. An online tournament sounds fine.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Something like the Battle.net set up in Blizzard games or most other PC games. Creating rooms with your own settings, levels chosen (custom maps allowed too) that people can join and leave until you start the game. Might aswell throw in your own customizable avatar or logo to use in the menu's and in place of your character picture in the match. Voice and text chat, text at least could be feasible right now with the USB keyboard support (though, we haven't seen it used in any games yet so that's up for question.). A personal rank similar to that of Tetris DS which could go up and down based on the kinds of people you win against (win against a guy with a high rank, your rank goes that much higher). Profiles giving any information you deem should be public, oh and somehow make everybodies connections amazing and have no lag, show names in "Play with Anyone", and have the option of adding them to your friend roster like Metroid Prime Hunters... You can't get much better than that.

Although, that is going overboard, simply an interface like Metroid Prime Hunters would be ideal and should have been possible. It had text and voice chat, add random friends after Play with Anyone matches, fully customizable settings when playing with friends, rankings, it truly had the best online features of any Wi-Fi game so far.

Best101

Smash Ace
Here's what I think about another thing Brawl fails in, online.

- Lobbies with no chat could fit the "safe" way of playing Nintendo strives for online gaming. Online play needs it so you can see who you are playing and choose (YOU choose, not Nintendo's servers which puts you in matches you don't want to be in) a room which fits your settings. Or make a room with your desired settings (1 vs 1, FFAs, or teams).

- Have a win or loss record on your username

- Show usernames at least. (No usernames killed online for me)

- No computers online! Seriously who the **** thought of the idea of putting computers online to fill spots for missing players? Almost more dumb than tripping (hate to say it, but its true). You can play offline with computers (basically 85% of the time you play offline will be against computers), why do you think people go online in the first place? To face other humans! Not computers. Computers almost kills the hope and fun for a 1 on 1 match with someone else because there is always that chance you'll get a computer to interfere with your match with the other guy. Not everyone wants to play in a FFA all the time

-Lag just sucks. I thought I was playing a friend across the United States. Then I come to find out that he lives only 2 hours away from me, and the lag is just unplayable.

- Brawl might have done better without online.

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
With anyone options, lag-free, good friend system/ranking system, special brawl online, more spectator options, DLC, mic/text chat, matchmaking (puts you with similar rank), more replay functions, being able to play user created maps, co-op everything, basically better than the offline counterpart and PERFECT!

Ramgigon

Smash Journeyman
This is where I put whether or not I like Brawl
Options in With Anyone (I want my 3-stock match), lass lag (... DUH.), and the ability to add people you fight online to a rival roster, and you can do some sort of "With Rivals" match to only fight ones you set as rivals.

Taking it a step further, Spellman's ideal setting would be perfect.

NewbieMcNasty

Smash Rookie
Online play needs to feel like you're playing online. As of now no one has an identity unless you play with someone from your friends list. There needs to be usernames, win/loss records, leader boards, voice chat, tournaments, specific stat tracking (i.e. most played character, total knockouts, most used item, etc.). Rewarded game play is what makes a lot of video games very addicting, which Brawl online mode has absolutely nothing going for it in that department.

Johnny Smash

Smash Cadet
Something like Halo 2/Halo 3 would be awesome... able to join games with your friends, have a ranking that goes up or down... The sad thing even if there were individual 1v1 matchmaking they would probably leave items on which is dumb. The sad fact is it doesn't look like they want it to be competetive.

Pi

Smash Hero
Voice chat (Optional)
Worldwide rankings (Optional)
Lagless (Mandatory!)
No button delay (Mandatory)
Anonymity (Optional)
Rooms, that you can create, with predetermined settings, chosen by you. So if you want you can choose No items, Final Destination. Or if you want you can choose New Pork City, all items on high.

When I say Optional I mean you can choose to participate in these things. You can choose to hear/participate in voice chat. You can choose to participate in the worldwide rankings. You can choose to remain anonyms or not.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
like a lobby where u see players settings whos looking for a game and then u just join that one.

a dam gamertag not no 12 digit FC, no lag with people in nearby states

why can someone from NY play call of duty with someone in cali with zero lag but i cant play my friend across town in brawl T________T

voice chat is a must for a game like this, and online ranks

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
From what I understand with mariokart, it works on some wacky system that makes it possable for two different people to win in the same race. So I wouldn't exactlly call that system ideal.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
lagless, ranking, being able to changed the settings with anyone and being able to add people you play against with anyone if played some fun people but i'll probably never play them again. The 2 minute trials are fun but i would like to be able to set up a stock match online with anyone.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Halo 3:
- 3D Environment
- Rich graphical design
- 16 players on one map (large map by comparison)
- Lag: Minimal (or non-existent)

Brawl:
- 2D Environment
- Not-so-Rich graphical design
- 2-4 Players on one map (small map by comparison)
- Lag: Always there (At least feels like playing on HDTVs)

Nintendo, how did you screw this up!?

J18

Smash Journeyman
-well first of all, NO FRIEND CODES. WOULD IT REALLY HAVE BEEN THAT DIFFICULT TO HAVE GAMERTAGS OR SOMETHING THAT IS NOT A 12 DIGIT NUMBER.

-rooms. or something similar to a lobby. someone creates a room, they decide the rules and settings, and the settings of that room are displayed and anyone can join the room. (depending on 1v1, 2v2, etc.)

-easier way to add friends. what i'm pretty much saying is that it should be like halo. that pretty much sums it up.

-and if it was in nintendo's power to do so, i would much like less lag. ESPECIALLY input lag.

Zek

Smash Ace
Halo 3:
- 3D Environment
- Rich graphical design
- 16 players on one map (large map by comparison)
- Lag: Minimal (or non-existent)

Brawl:
- 2D Environment
- Not-so-Rich graphical design
- 2-4 Players on one map (small map by comparison)
- Lag: Always there (At least feels like playing on HDTVs)

Nintendo, how did you screw this up!?
Halo 3, and any other game for that matter, lags just as much as Brawl. The difference is that you can't tell because it uses prediction algorithms to cover it up. That's why it lets you perform actions with no delay before the server can verify them. With Brawl that's not an option, the gameplay is too precise and there's no lying to people about the location of the other players without totally ruining the match. That's why Brawl is laggy. At least get your facts straight before you bash Nintendo for it guys.

Null_brawl

Smash Rookie
Something like the Battle.net set up in Blizzard games or most other PC games. Creating rooms with your own settings, levels chosen (custom maps allowed too) that people can join and leave until you start the game. Might aswell throw in your own customizable avatar or logo to use in the menu's and in place of your character picture in the match. Voice and text chat, text at least could be feasible right now with the USB keyboard support (though, we haven't seen it used in any games yet so that's up for question.). A personal rank similar to that of Tetris DS which could go up and down based on the kinds of people you win against (win against a guy with a high rank, your rank goes that much higher). Profiles giving any information you deem should be public, oh and somehow make everybodies connections amazing and have no lag, show names in "Play with Anyone", and have the option of adding them to your friend roster like Metroid Prime Hunters... You can't get much better than that.

Although, that is going overboard, simply an interface like Metroid Prime Hunters would be ideal and should have been possible. It had text and voice chat, add random friends after Play with Anyone matches, fully customizable settings when playing with friends, rankings, it truly had the best online features of any Wi-Fi game so far.
thats wath iw as thinki ng when i first readed this thread wfc will be perfect if they add this things

Pi

Smash Hero
:laugh:
That's an oxymoron. There is no such thing as internet and no-lag, there is ALWAYS some amount of lag, no matter now minute it is.
Well the thread title is what would be 'Perfect' :laugh:

I really hope they at least diminish the button delay, I despise it so much...

Top Bottom