• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Yeah, that's a point. It is a good game, but all the combos etc are very similar. I guess you could compare it to Soul Calibur III's huge cast of characters too. I don't see why it can't go up to 40 characters in Brawl though.
Soul Calibur III is a better example. Even so, that roster is still a little more limited. As far as Brawl goes, I'd say over 40 characters is still reasonable; I just aim my expectations low, so they're firmly set at the 35-40 range.

However, I do think people are being a little ridiculous when they start using numbers like 50. . . .

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's a point. It is a good game, but all the combos etc are very similar. I guess you could compare it to Soul Calibur III's huge cast of characters too. I don't see why it can't go up to 40 characters in Brawl though.
Yeh. I'm still expecting an a** load of characters either way. xD

mmmm all that storage/information relative is so confusing its a lot more simple play the game and Kick a$$. >.<
Yah, I know. I don't like talking about memory storage stuff either because we all don't really know how it all works. I'd rather just play the game and see what happens. :chuckle:

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Yeah, 50 is stupid. I think 35 is the most realistic count. 30 would be too low... but if that turns out to be the real number I'll be less disappointed if I anticipate it.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Yeah, 50 is stupid. I think 35 is the most realistic count. 30 would be too low... but if that turns out to be the real number I'll be less disappointed if I anticipate it.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
35 - 45

I say either 36 or 44...I like those numbers :)

40 even would be really nice too. It's a perfect little 5 by 8 box space to fit in the screne and yada yada. They have so many great characters to put in the game that 40 shouldn't be hard to fill in terms of smash "worthy" candidats. You take the vets (that are obviously returning) and you're already breaking the 30 mark...pushin 35 with Falco, YLink, Sheik, Ness or another 3P.

But who are we to say...Maybe the roster shown on the site plus one more row of vets for Luigi, Falcon, Jiggs and M2 is IT. *shrug*

Either way I'm happy and pissed!!!!!!!! :laugh:
I just wanna play ****in BRAWL!!!!!

And 50 would be almost too much to handle :laugh: make two games with that haha

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
im seeing pichu g&w (maybe) roy and ness (maybe) getting removed
You should get some glasses for that. Mainly just the G&W part. And possibly the Ness part. That Pichu part was spot on though. Maybe you're just nearsighted? :p

Anyhow, anything less than 35 would suck, but anything more than 45 would just be overkill. When I play a game like Brawl, I want to get at least decent with every character, and frankly I don't have the time to play that many characters.

Circus said it best, though; more characters usually equal less quality.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Anyhow, anything less than 35 would suck, but anything more than 45 would just be overkill. When I play a game like Brawl, I want to get at least decent with every character, and frankly I don't have the time to play that many characters.

How many times do I have to go over this with you rAt? It won't matter if there's a rediculous amount of characters (as long as it stays to a reasonably rediculous amount... if that makes sense... how about we just say "no triple digits"?) you're going to get your hands on them all, and most likely get decent with a good chunk of them.

Even if you don't master a lot of them, the same basic principals of the game and of the advanced techniques found will inevitably apply for all characters. Wave-dashing, L-cancelling, SHFFLing... to some extent these all boost a characters performance, regardless of a character.

Take for example: me and Pichu.
Do I enjoy playing as Pichu? F**k no.
Do I play with Pichu ever? ONLY when I'm playing a random match with a friend.
Do I kick nastyass with Pichu? Far from it.
Do I hold my own as Pichu? Meh... more or less. But I can WD, L-cancel, and SHFFL, and I know most of Pichu's most useful moves so I've basically got a decent Pichu (compared to the challenges my friends have to offer.) With enough dedication, you can be good with anyone just by sheer knowledge of the game and how it's played.

Plus, you'll have time to work your magic, rAt. I can guarantee the next Smash won't come out for a LONG time, at least until the next major Nintendo console releases. (Or if they develop a DS version... but that doesn't count. :p)

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Personally I think G&W will stay, and I sure hope so. As long as he's a little buffed, he was fairly powerful, but way too light and awkward to use.

I also hope Ness returns, but I'm not seeing it, which is a huge shame... I want him to return.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
You should get some glasses for that. Mainly just the G&W part. And possibly the Ness part. That Pichu part was spot on though. Maybe you're just nearsighted? :p

36, 40 or 44...36, 40 or 44...36, 40 or 44...
oh wait, I was typing that while I imagined it :confused:

haha. I like how you want to get decent with every character. I think I have to because I love the game so much, rather than one character or style. I still love playing Hyrule (Big Blue :p) and with items etc... But it took me a good 2 years before I actually played this game more than once a month. Now starting from Brawls beginning, I think I'll have enough time to get good at everything. After all, you just have to learn quick and efficiently every time you play. Can't be too hard.

And why do people keep coming here and saying G&W shouldn't return... :mad:

Do I enjoy playing Pichu? Yeah, i actually do.
Do I play Pichu ever? Yeah, every time I pick up the controller cause I like random and try to be even with them all.
Do I kick nastyass with Pichu? I sure give skilled Fox's a rough time.
Do I think Pichu is a nice addition to the roster? **** NO!!!! He's a waste of space! He does everything everyone else does in terms of smash Adv.techs and is a miniture version of another character that looks exactly the same but was designed to be a rag doll in the game.
Same generally goes to Doc, Roy and Sheik.
:mad::mad::mad: BUT LEAVE THE ICS M2 AND G&W ALONE!!!! :mad::mad::mad: and yLink, Falco and Ness too sure...

How many times do I have to go over this with you rAt? It won't matter if there's a rediculous amount of characters (as long as it stays to a reasonably rediculous amount... if that makes sense... how about we just say "no triple digits"?) you're going to get your hands on them all, and most likely get decent with a good chunk of them.

Even if you don't master a lot of them, the same basic principals of the game and of the advanced techniques found will inevitably apply for all characters. Wave-dashing, L-cancelling, SHFFLing... to some extent these all boost a characters performance, regardless of a character.

Do I hold my own as Pichu? Meh... more or less. But I can WD, L-cancel, and SHFFL, and I know most of Pichu's most useful moves so I've basically got a decent Pichu (compared to the challenges my friends have to offer.) With enough dedication, you can be good with anyone just by sheer knowledge of the game and how it's played.

Plus, you'll have time to work your magic, rAt. I can guarantee the next Smash won't come out for a LONG time, at least until the next major Nintendo console releases. (Or if they develop a DS version... but that doesn't count. :p)
I don't hope for a ridiculous amount of characters. But I do hope that each character will be ridiculously unique and the roster will be ridiculously balanced and this game will be ridiculously fun and the roster is somewhere between 35 and 45 because that's ridiculously perfect :)

That's true that you can be good at the game with a decent knowledge of it.
But I don't beleive you can be good with a character by applying this. Which rAt (and I and many others) want to be...not just "meh" with a load of them.

Like Pichu
Do I think he's unique? Still, the answer is yes.

Dyce - The problem with your argument (regarding skill with a character as relative to knowledge of them and the game) is that every character has their own "advanced techniques". A player cannot merely pick up DK knowing that his upthrows and uairs are good to chain, and do 0 to Death combos every stock with a Fair or DPunch. A Pichu player cannot pick up a Pika and Uair spike properly (they'll probably send them back to the stage.) Different tactics apply to different opponents and styles.
But this is easy to learn. It only takes a few tests to understand how that works. The difference between a regular "meh" player and a regular "good" player is applying the known character specific advanced techniques
I know what you're saying by LCing, WDing, and DDing will instantly make you more effective than anyone who doesn't. But this new pivoting technique in Brawl, fast falling before attacking to LC and general knowledge that Ikes best edgeguard is with UpB on the ledge isn't enough to make you good with a character (like what I'm sure rAt means). It will make you "meh" though :laugh:
I think everyone on the boards has general knowledge of the game and knowledge of how almost every character can be effective. But I don't think anyone is "good" with them all. Take me for example. I can successfully Ditto any player and any character and win. I never have mained a character or used one style for more than a sitting (like for a few hours work with just one if you need work) but if there was anything I saw that I didn't do regularly that worked, the next time I was that character, I would try it and apply it. You could be "good" with every character after a couple hours if you had the right enviroment (a couple other good players that were good with a variety of characters, the right focused mindset and maybe a second person trying to do what you are [cause that goes about twice as fast]). It really isn't hard.
But with a gigantic roster, then it just gets harder (both to remember everything that needs to be applied when the time does come, and in time consumption).
Back to example: Roy was the last character I ever bothered learning how to "really" play. I ****in sucked with him for a long time. I have "mastered" ,if you will, his clone Marth and almost every character. But Roy? OH NO! I couldn't (and still have trouble) beat a Falco player with Roy...yet I beat one (a very good one, I think you would agree) with YLink and Kirby in one sitting. I didn't really think it would be that hard but Roy really is unlike any other character. As is Pichu and YLink and even Mario...the Doc one i mean. I'm only recently getting used to spamming Roys SHUairs instead of Fairs and Nairs like Marth.
I may have knowledge of them game and infact be "good" or "very good" with other characters as I think everyone here is, but I'm sure there are still characters that even the best at the game "smash" aren't even good with. Yet they're part of smash? Are we really that good then? :laugh: jk

skill doesn't come from knowledge...
I think it was Ghandi or someone that said - "Don't compare methods and ideals."
You're just better than people that don't know. But when they do, then who's better?
I don't like to know how be good at something and just wing it desperately when the time comes (though I still do that with Roy :urg:) so I go ahead and take every bit in. It takes a lot of creativity too. But that's another story.

Online sure will speed things up too :chuckle:

FoxFtw

Smash Apprentice
Do I think Pichu is a nice addition to the roster? **** NO!!!! He's a waste of space! He does everything everyone else does in terms of smash Adv.techs and is a miniture version of another character that looks exactly the same but was designed to be a rag doll in the game.
Same generally goes to Doc, Roy and Sheik

Sheik?????

RWB

Smash Ace
Roy will propably return along with Marth if we get 3 FE-chars.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.

You're probably right. I'm just ticked off at the inevitable annoyance of having to get a real job. I wonder if anyone will pay me $30,000-40,000 a year to beat on noobs?

36, 40 or 44...36, 40 or 44...36, 40 or 44...
oh wait, I was typing that while I imagined it :confused:

haha. I like how you want to get decent with every character. I think I have to because I love the game so much, rather than one character or style. I still love playing Hyrule (Big Blue :p) and with items etc... But it took me a good 2 years before I actually played this game more than once a month. Now starting from Brawls beginning, I think I'll have enough time to get good at everything. After all, you just have to learn quick and efficiently every time you play. Can't be too hard.
Big Blue :mad: Unfortunately for me, it'll probably be closer to your situation with Melee. I'll have to slowly build up my playtime from scratch. That's a good strategy, though. At least from what I've seen, the changes to Pika are fairly subtle (compared to his changes from 64 to Melee), so I'll be spending less time perfecting his deathyness.

And why do people keep coming here and saying G&W shouldn't return... :mad:
They're doing drugs. Lots of drugs.

Do I enjoy playing Pichu? Yeah, i actually do.
Do I play Pichu ever? Yeah, every time I pick up the controller cause I like random and try to be even with them all.
Do I kick nastyass with Pichu? I sure give skilled Fox's a rough time.
Same generally goes to Doc, Roy and Sheik.
:mad::mad::mad: BUT LEAVE THE ICS M2 AND G&W ALONE!!!! :mad::mad::mad: and yLink, Falco and Ness too sure...
Quoted for sheer beauty.

I don't hope for a ridiculous amount of characters. But I do hope that each character will be ridiculously unique and the roster will be ridiculously balanced and this game will be ridiculously fun and the roster is somewhere between 35 and 45 because that's ridiculously perfect :)
Ridiculously well said.

Krystal should return because of the tons of the potential with the staff
Return from where? :p

Do You Not See My Post From Above!?! WE will Rise! And Bring Forth a New Age Of Pillz!! Pillz of Death and Colors!!! Madness will Craze The Land and the sky shall Rain of White Lab Coats!!
For the Day of DocBrawl will come soon!!!!

-__-;
Uh oh, I think Sieg may be planning another Suppository of Doom rampage again. :p Nice rant. I especially like the Day of the Doc part.

I think they should just make dr. Luigi. :)
Lolz! Dr Luigi but NO Dr Mario! The ultimate slap in the face!
Lol, Sieg would kill us all.

Top Bottom