• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Rhyme

Smash Lord
you didn't kill nutin'!

Smash is a fighting game. theoreticaly, the main factor of the characters would be how they fight.

let me give you an example:
to my knowledge, you main Samus right? now. by your logic, you (and others who main her) main Samus because you like her backstory, or mission (seeing as she has hardly no personality, it's not a factor). now. lets say they give Samus moves that don't realate to her at all. things such as hitting people with a squid, truning into a muscrat, and eating babies for her super attack. her moves are now complate crap, and are untrue to her games, or her character. your saying that if this happend, you and every one else who uses her, would still main Samus regarless of this?
Maybe, it depends on whether or not I like children, am I a rodent lover, and does the squid provide enough resistance as a physical attack. You are extending the circumstances of this argument. If it were an attack like Peach's Dsmash, which doesn't make sense, I would still play her. If they gave Mario a cape with which to convert items or Falcon the ability to comand fire, I would still use them. It's not really the moves that bothers me. Lets say I played Starfox and found Falco's show-offy attitude to be a trey annoying. Because I didn't like Falco in the game he was origionally from, I wouldn't bother considering selecting him in another game he is portreyed in. Now lets say I was bonzo over Falco in Starfox but hated his moves, for whatever reason. If I really liked the character, I would still play him. The extent to which I hate his fighting style or outlandish moves(as you suggested) would determine whether I would be a trooper and main him.

Back to my other argument, where I said I wasn't going. If I played Roy in FE and didn't like his personality as it pertains to Fire Emblem, I wouldn't bother choosing him in Melee, regardless of his moves and personality within Melee.

I thought I made this point evident several posts ago yet still struggle to prove it...urgh.:(

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
if a char was different i probably would still use it ...unless its like ... crazy chaotic stuff
also great fudd mario move set FIVE STARS...

T-major

Smash Champion
you still dont get it do you... it. does. not. matter. what. their. personality. is! I don't know how anybody could take this as a serious reason to use a character in a fighting game... I LOVE Kirby as a character, but I (and preety much every one else who does) main C. Falcon because I like his moves better. and seeing as Falcon is from a racing game, and dosn't show any personality that he may or may not have in said game, your logic automaticaly fails. in order for your statment to be true, your logic would need to apply to every character, and it dosn't (for more then one character I might add *coughlinkcough*).

Like I said before. SSB is a fighting game (say it with me). there for, how a character fights would be the most impoprtant factor. if the charcter had a bad personality, but awsome and interesting moves in the game they were from, people most likley would use them if put in SSB. seeing as personality is hardly (if not at all) shown in that game, they wouldn't have to put up with that characters dull features, and insted would just be useing their awsome moves. it happens all the time! in fact, it happened in the SSB64 to Melee trasition. a lot of people used Ness and Kirby back then, but a large majority of those same people started using Fox or someone else in Melee, simply because they performed better. yeah, thats what I call loyalty to a characters personality...

P3L!C@N

Smash Cadet
you still dont get it do you... it. does. not. matter. what. their. personality. is! I don't know how anybody could take this as a serious reason to use a character in a fighting game... I LOVE Kirby as a character, but I (and preety much every one else who does) main C. Falcon because I like his moves better. and seeing as Falcon is from a racing game, and dosn't show any personality that he may or may not have in said game, your logic automaticaly fails. in order for your statment to be true, your logic would need to apply to every character, and it dosn't (for more then one character I might add *coughlinkcough*).

Like I said before. SSB is a fighting game (say it with me). there for, how a character fights would be the most impoprtant factor. if the charcter had a bad personality, but awsome and interesting moves in the game they were from, people most likley would use them if put in SSB. seeing as personality is hardly (if not at all) shown in that game, they wouldn't have to put up with that characters dull features, and insted would just be useing their awsome moves. it happens all the time! in fact, it happened in the SSB64 to Melee trasition. a lot of people used Ness and Kirby back then, but a large majority of those same people started using Fox or someone else in Melee, simply because they performed better. yeah, thats what I call loyalty to a characters personality...
Honestly, I think between the misspelled words and the ignorance of it all, YOUR reason is quite irrelevant. You said that you a character's personality doesn't matter and all that matters is who's moves are so called "better". What matters isn't how "good" the moves are, but how those moves are used. In essence, this is displayed by the player. The way a person uses a character's moveset, helps to shape and define that player's view of his character's personality. The personality determines the moveset, not the other way around. For instance you said everybody mains C. Falcon because his moves perform better. Which moves exactly? The Falcon Dive is slow and easily avoidable. The Falcon punch is extremely powerful, but if missed, leaves an open target. Both these moves have their strengths and weaknesses, but what really matters is how these moves are used, not necessarily on how much "better" they are.

Another thought:

If people don't want to use characters for their personalities, why does Nintendo use Nintendo characters as the fighters? Do you realize that what originally drew most people to SSB was the fact that they could use their favorite Nintendo characters to annihilate other characters. Not because Mario's nair "performs better" than Luigi's.

It's the personalities of the characters that make/made this franchise.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think between the misspelled words and the ignorance of it all, YOUR reason is quite irrelevant. You said that you a character's personality doesn't matter and all that matters is who's moves are so called "better". What matters isn't how "good" the moves are, but how those moves are used. In essence, this is displayed by the player. The way a person uses a character's moveset, helps to shape and define that player's view of his character's personality. The personality determines the moveset, not the other way around. For instance you said everybody mains C. Falcon because his moves perform better. Which moves exactly? The Falcon Dive is slow and easily avoidable. The Falcon punch is extremely powerful, but if missed, leaves an open target. Both these moves have their strengths and weaknesses, but what really matters is how these moves are used, not necessarily on how much "better" they are.

Another thought:

If people don't want to use characters for their personalities, why does Nintendo use Nintendo characters as the fighters? Do you realize that what originally drew most people to SSB was the fact that they could use their favorite Nintendo characters to annihilate other characters. Not because Mario's nair "performs better" than Luigi's.

T and I were perfectly happy until you came along.:cool:

Not yelling at you, but T does have a point, I just don't agree with it. Shouting at someone that they are wrong is deffinately not the way to go.

I do see what you are saying about the skill of the player mattering more than the moves themselves. But, the moves do matter to some extent and that is why some characters are generally better than others. Fox's shine is simply one of the best moves in the game: because of its insane priority and adaptability in usage, and its ability to be used for combos and spikes. Part of Fox being so good is due to the amazingness of the shine, the other part is the many ways players have found to use it.

In short, my argument, yours, and T's all make sense, don't automatically shout at someone that they are wrong. Besides, it is more fun to make them realize that they are wrong.:laugh:

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman

This is the point I was trying to make. This is a fighting game, not a Miss USA contest. Come on people lets focus on the key factors here.

Another thought:

Okay everyone has the right to their opinion but you hardly made sense if any. You said the way the person uses the character moves help shape their pesonallity. Do you honestly believe this ? People love link, roy,marth and bowser... Who speak or yell in tounges that are understandable by many, You can get a hint of someones personallity from the way they talk or act. Since neither of theses factors are placed into the game. Its impossible to tell a Characters personallity, perhaps you can feel what it might be like their taunts but I doubt it. So I can hardly see the Influenced diffrence of links personallity regardless of how I use his spin attack. If I use it only to recover, then would I think hes pretty lame ?... but if I spike my foe into oblivion and destruction... I suddenly see him as a cooler character ?

In regards. Yes I somewhat agree with the second portion of your post. Keword is MOST people. People may have been drawn to SSB because of their favorite nintendo characters. but that doesnt mean in anyway they like those characers because of their personallitys. The move set would be amore logical answer than. Since 85 percent of the people that play this game Havent a single clue of the origins of the characters that they play. Aperfect example of that is marth.. He has good moves so alot of people favors him because of that. Not because they played FE. Also Nitendo use their characters to attract their fans from diffrent age groups. Young people have no clue of who game and watch is,or where he came from. but they know all about mario. The characters are there for attractions reasons ( And of course to play with )( weithers its personallity or Moveset ). Why do you think they are adding 3rd parties. To Attract more fans/people other than Nintendo's If Sonic is in the game. And people like sonic... dont you think their going to get the game ?

T Besides, it is more fun to make them realize that they are wrong.:laugh:
lol ok myabe ryhme was right, mah bad girl.
I take this back. >.>

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
My two cents:

Ad have to agree with Rhyme. The reason I even play young link is because I'm a huge fan of him in OoT. And honestly, in SSBM, he really sucks. If I wanted to play a character because their attacks were actually good, I'd probably play someone like Marth.

MartyTheBarb

Smash Rookie
Does that font really mean so much to you? Really, it seems like you're stretching to make a point... but i digress, this thing about the personalities is gettin a bit off, it has no point, there is no "personality". What i love about the smash bros franchise is the ability to pick up a character and have fun, not necessarily wether you like/dislike a someone or if you think they're just better, but just being able to play and have a good time. I think im addicted to jiggly though, and **** that down B of fox/falco really pisses me off (but fun to use on other ppl) ;) WE MADE FOR PWN...but what about TWN .... think about it....

T-major

Smash Champion
My two cents:

Ad have to agree with Rhyme. The reason I even play young link is because I'm a huge fan of him in OoT. And honestly, in SSBM, he really sucks. If I wanted to play a character because their attacks were actually good, I'd probably play someone like Marth.
that may be. but there is more then one OoT character in Melee, why did you chose Y. Link? why not adult Link? why not Ganondorf? or Zelda/Shiek? the fact that you choose Y. Link has to be more then just the game he's from, or his personality (if it's his personality, why not choose adult Link? same person).

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
My two cents:

In all honesty, Thats the exact same reason I play younglink. You saying that he sucks doesnt make it true.. Look at caveman for example. And I think younglink has good set of moves, so it gives me twice the reason for playing him.

:laugh: Oh yea, you just helped me prove my point, And ill tell you why. First of all younglink nor link have a personallitys, we agreed to that above not to mention he doesnt even talk. Also I said people play/like marth because of his moveset and not his personallity. My point being that no one cares about a character personallity. Thanks for that. ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whoa a huge discussion is being made here! How could I miss it? Besides I avoided this thread cause of high noob activities...

And OFCOARSE personality counts in Smash! Why, if it wheren't for characters SSB wouldn't even excist! We all want to play as our favorite characters with moves that suit them. I don't want a ninja-break dancing-baby eating Link! I want Link to have moves which suit his personality. And ofcoarse you can dislike a character because of it's personality...

Me for example, I've never played any FZero game so C.Falcon isn't a very appealing character to me. I however played every good DK game, so Donkey Kong would be a logical choice for a character for me. Sure it isn't all about the characters, but also personal play style plays a huge role... But if you like fast characters but either don't like or ever played a StarFox game you could still prefer Pikachu over Fox.

But enough about that, since we're going of topic here...

I still don't think Sheik will return btw. :)

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
I hate to say it, but your both obviously wrong, and the proof is right here on the board!!!!!1!11!!ONEONE1

T, you say people choose thier players based on how good the actual player is (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the jiff of it I believe), well it seems that Ryme, and I myself, choose our characters based on backstory and personality of the character.

Ryme, you say people choose thier chars based on personality and backstory, well T and, well, i forgot who the other guy was, choose thier chars based on how good they are in the game.

My point is each person chooses thier main for a unique reason, I don't see why no one has pointed this out yet. Heck, my mains Ness cause I love him in Earthbound, and my secondary is Ice Climbers, and I've never even played that game.

Also, all chars have a "Personality", even if it's not developed by the makers of the game, the player makes thier own personality for that character, which is sometimes the best way for developers to go, heck, look at Link and Samus. (Had to point out that Falcon's personality is developed a bit due to those darned comics that Nintendo used to put in thier magazine, same goes for samus = P)

T-major

Smash Champion
Whoa a huge discussion is being made here! How could I miss it? Besides I avoided this thread cause of high noob activities...

And OFCOARSE personality counts in Smash! Why, if it wheren't for characters SSB wouldn't even excist! We all want to play as our favorite characters with moves that suit them. I don't want a ninja-break dancing-baby eating Link! I want Link to have moves which suit his personality. And ofcoarse you can dislike a character because of it's personality...

Me for example, I've never played any FZero game so C.Falcon isn't a very appealing character to me. I however played every good DK game, so Donkey Kong would be a logical choice for a character for me. Sure it isn't all about the characters, but also personal play style plays a huge role... But if you like fast characters but either don't like or ever played a StarFox game you could still prefer Pikachu over Fox.

But enough about that, since we're going of topic here...

I still don't think Sheik will return btw. :)
that might be true for you, but I've never played FZero either, but I main C. Falcon because I like his moves and the way he plays. this dosn't apply to everyone, in fact, I would say that the majority of people play there mains because of there moves, not personality (really, unless your from Japan you most likely havn't played the games with Marth) if a character has a bad personality, they could give them awsome moves and people would play as them because of it. it's as simple as that.

and no, you can't dislike a character because of there personality, because it's a game where personality is hardly (if not ever) shown.

@ noe3: I don't choose my character based on how good they are. I use C. Falcon, and Kirby. both of which I'm pretty such are labled as bad character (at least Kirby is anyways. not sure about Falcon). both of them I use because I like there moves. although Kirby is more of a mix of both moves and personality.

I don't think performance is the reason why people use who they do (and it shouldn't be). I just used that as an example to how personality dosn't matter.

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
i'm surprised at how long this conversation went on......

everyone chooses their character for their own reasons. you cant tell sum1 else why they chose their character, only the person who chose him knows. maybe its because they r considered a good character, maybe because they liked him from another game for sum reason, the fact of the matter is that it doesnt even matter. you dont need to force your own ideas about why you chose your character on sum1 else (thou this is fun to do sumtimes) and say that they chose them for that reason. characters do have personalities(most) by their actions. maybe sum have less of a show personaility than others but sum say link doesn't have a personality but his actions say otherwise. he is very courageous(most characters are) and he obviously is very caring and loving which is one of the reasons why he (slight TP spoiler)
would save the girl he loved(at least i think he loved her) and the children.

so whether the character was chosen for their personality(that most bearly show in melee), whether they are for their moveset, etc. all that matters is that everyone is satisfied with the character of THEIR choice

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
i think luigi will return or its smash bro brawl not super or bros because the brothers are not there so luigi needs to be there (rhyme like my coler )

Rhyme

Smash Lord
i think luigi will return or its smash bro brawl not super or bros because the brothers are not there so luigi needs to be there (rhyme like my coler )
You either forgot an "o" or meant there to be an "o". Either way, I think that color is very suitable for you.

EDIT: Never mind what used to be here if anyone saw it, forget everything!

Devastlian

Smash Lord
We should, like, make a secret colorful club. Or something.

Also, virtualgamecafe reminded me of something...This game's name...Super Smash Brothers...just seems weird. I mean it sounds right and it's an obvious play on Super Mario Brothers. But...the characters are never refered to as the "Smash Brothers." Which would make Peach, Zelda, and Samus the "Smash Sisters"...But yeah.

...Donkey Kong needs to be shown so I can watch him frolic and bash stuff in my dreams.

Rhyme

Smash Lord

Also, virtualgamecafe reminded me of something...This game's name...Super Smash Brothers...just seems weird. I mean it sounds right and it's an obvious play on Super Mario Brothers. But...the characters are never refered to as the "Smash Brothers." Which would make Peach, Zelda, and Samus the "Smash Sisters"...But yeah.

...Donkey Kong needs to be shown so I can watch him frolic and bash stuff in my dreams.
Then I main one of the three exclusive Sassy Smash Sisters! And my usual costume pick matches my font color.

As for your dreams D, sleep easy. DK MUST be confirmed. We KNOW this!

EDIT: If we were to make an exclusive Cool Colorful Club, T would have to be our leader since he started the fab trend. So cool with his yellowgreen.

T-major

Smash Champion

yay for colours!! w00t!

I acualy think "super smash borthers" is based on the Japanise name, which has to do with brothers or something... but I could be wrong

.... and yes, they need to show DK.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
yay for colours!! w00t!

I acualy think "super smash borthers" is based on the Japanise name, which has to do with brothers or something... but I could be wrong

.... and yes, they need to show DK.
Not like this is anything significant, but I put the title "Super Smash Brothers Melee" into an online translator. I changed it into Japanese then back into English and recieved something quite different.
"Confound Conflict of Extreme Sibling Pulverization"
Are the Japanese really that violent?

My guess is that SmaburaKen means something totally different than what we think it means. It might be, like, the Super Fighting Family, where they extend the meaning of family to be the family or cast of Nintendo characters.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
There used to be a website that translated your inputted phrases into in the Babelfish translater into all of the languages it could translate with and then translate it back into English just to show how much is lost in translation.

If I remember correctly, the translated names for the three SSB games are:

Nintendo's All-Stars in Large Scuffle Smash Brothers
Nintendo's All-Stars in Large Scuffle Smash Brothers Deluxe
Nintendo's All-Stars in Large Scuffle Smash Brothers X

And then SmaburaKen means SmashFist.

And then in the Japanese version of NASLSSBDx, the announcer says "Nintendo's All-Stars in...Dairantou SMAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHERS!!!

But everyone probably knew all that. Also, let's hear it for NASLSSBX!!!

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
I believe the reason it's still "Smash Brothers" in Japanese, is because in recent years, English, especially American culture, is becoming more and more popular in Japan. Because of this, having a game with an english sounding name is "hip" and "in" right now.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
this topic is went from who is going to return to why do u chose ur mains and now its at why is ssb called ssb and what it means in japanese. this is beocming realy off topic.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Well, you can only have so much discussion about one thing until there's nothing left to talk about. Sure, I could state who I think is returning, and why I think they're returning, but I'd bet my left kidney that anything I could say has already been said, if not multiple times. Discussions change and evolve, it's the natural order.

MartyTheBarb

Smash Rookie
cewl, 1m gonna join the awesome colour clube
and the bad spelinge clube and the crapy signature club, me r so cewl noe

Rhyme

Smash Lord
cewl, 1m gonna join the awesome colour clube
and the bad spelinge clube and the crapy signature club, me r so cewl noe
I don't know if such was intentional, but you kinda stole P3L!C@N's color. It was an eventuallity, if everyone joins the Cool Colors Club we would have to repeat with only 40 colors to choose from, but I hardly expected it this early.

About Link, anyone think he will finally be closer to the top of the tier list this time around? He has always crapped out in the end. Most characters who were bad in Smash 64 were good in Melee, the opposite is also true. With Link, he started bad and stayed bad. Isn't it about time he tasted victory? It has also been stated numerous times that more realistic/human characters usually rank higher on the tier list. Well Link has a very human polygon modle and yet he is low tier. So what's the word, will he rise through the ranks?

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to conform about 20 posts late and declare this as my colour.

Also wtf guys? "'The who's going to derail this thread' thread?!" I mean, don't get me wrong... I like it plenty... but **** this thing hasn't stayed on a single topic for more than a page since we started.

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
I choose the best color of them all... ... ... WHITE!!!one1one!!!1!!1

Off topic, what do you mean? (looks at topic name) wtf? we're suppose to be talking about what?

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
u_u;; well my point was that we don't stay on any specific topic for long enough for anyone to make a decent reply.... that is, other than the original topic... which got mighty boring after a while.

Top Bottom