• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
lol, check out the confirmed character discussion thread which i will not link to you because i am lazy and don't have it on hand. Yoshi is semi-confirmed...

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
To sum it up to people who don't care to read, Mr. Game and Watch for Brawl
This was most likely already brought up but I'm way to lazy to read 100+ pages. I heard Gay Man's Watch (Mr. Game and watch), Ice Climbers and Young Link are out for good. I want everyone to come back though, the more the merrier :).

pirkid

Smash Lord
Anyone think that some characters HAVE to make it?

For starters, the original 14. They all came back, some with different moves. (All with different moves really.)
Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Link, Ness, Pikachu, Luigi, Fox, Samus, Jiggly, CF, DK.

I know some of you don't like those characters, but they are originals. They all made it in Melee, they'll all make it in Brawl too, hopefully. Their like signatures of SSB.

Pikminshallruleoverall

Smash Apprentice
well the fact that he IS a filler doesnt matter? Sakurai mentioned he didnt had enough time to add more character so he just make fillers (doc, pichu, ylink) to fill the missing slots, dox is gone, hes just mario with a lab coat that throws pills, cmon if u guys main him or something many will go "but hwes better than mario and cantr go!" well... he can, and will just because hes better wont mean hes stayin, the most probable thing they will usre the pros of doc mario and put them in mario mario... sakurai havin all the time in the world (at least til 2008) will add more unique characters than y. link and pichu and doc... so just say good bye to doc XD...
I don't know if this was referenced to me but I just wondered why people would take Mario's Side A Aerial(sp?) into effect. Sakurai(I never can spell his name) said he was reworking all the clones back up and so they could've gave Doc a different Side A aerial(sp?). I don't want Doc to come back. I would personally like him back but on a choice to not bring preference in, I wouldn't want him back.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
This was most likely already brought up but I'm way to lazy to read 100+ pages. I heard Gay Man's Watch (Mr. Game and watch), Ice Climbers and Young Link are out for good. I want everyone to come back though, the more the merrier :).
It wqas brought up. It was also brought up that the G&W, IC and YL rumor is fake. also, don't use gay in a deragotive maner.

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
Sorry if your fans of them, but I believe that the Fire Emblem Chars will get replaced by more recent FE chars, my guess is Ike, being the most recent (correct me if I'm wrong) but that shouldn't be bad, he's still your basic anime, sword wielding, japanese speaking, bad ***.

The clones that are basically costume changes...

It depends, Falco (oh god, don't kill me) could very well go for a different character in the series (like Crystal).

Doc, well, he is gone in my mind, although it would be cool if he got an update, maybe use the viruses somehow.

Pichu should go, he's just a waste of space.

Ganondorf should definatly stay, with different moves of coarse, maybe have a pig form?

Young Link... Probably gone, POSSIBLY WW Link, but I doubt it.

And as for Ness, I really really hope he stays since I've played him though SSB64 and SSBM, but he may very well be replaced by another Earthbound Char, if he does go I demand it! Poo would be cool (A big headed melee guy).

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Umm........i kinda said this weeks ago buddy. sorry to sound rude but i said a very detailed idea about what they can do.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
All I know (and I hate to say this) is that the only thing that's sure to be there is complaints. Most people will always have something to ***** about. It'd just be nice if those people could suck it up and take what they can from the game. Melee went through the same sort of ridicule before it was released... so I don't see why everyone's falling into the same sort of pattern.

SuperSmashKiko

Smash Rookie
I hope everyone returns..maybe except doc and pichu...mr g&w is quite troublesome but i rather him stay..ummm definitely waiting to see if peach makes it (most likely)

Shermanator

Smash Rookie
I really can't see any characters being removed. Every character is liked by someone. Wouldn't you be upset if the character you devoted all your time into was axed?

SuperSmashKiko

Smash Rookie
I really can't see any characters being removed. Every character is liked by someone. Wouldn't you be upset if the character you devoted all your time into was axed?
yeah thats what i mean..thats really hard... also by even giving up one character...they could be losing a lot of fans..

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
i agree with Ipslne. If nintendo doesnt include the things i say, im not gonna go cry about it. and to what Shermantor says. Most likely movesets will change. Saw the gradual change from SSB to SSBM? くそ! ばかやる

Shermanator

Smash Rookie
I'm not opposed to change. Changing movesets and making all the characters more balanced is the best thing they can do to make SSBB an even greater game than SSBM. However people grow attached to the characters they play. I play Falco. He's a clone to most people, but to me he's totally different than fox. He has a different personality and I just like him more. Sure his moves are practically the same as someone elses but if he got taken out for SSBB I'd be pretty upset. Know what I'm saying?

MasterGary

Smash Ace
I'm not opposed to change. Changing movesets and making all the characters more balanced is the best thing they can do to make SSBB an even greater game than SSBM. However people grow attached to the characters they play. I play Falco. He's a clone to most people, but to me he's totally different than fox. He has a different personality and I just like him more. Sure his moves are practically the same as someone elses but if he got taken out for SSBB I'd be pretty upset. Know what I'm saying?
i completly agree. i cant imagine what it wud b like if the took out falco.but i wudint mind if they change him. even tho i love how he is right now. but i want him to change so he isint a so called "clone" of fox. because to me he isint a clone at all.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Well think about it. If u like the character you'll take the dedication to control him with the new movesets regardless of what they are.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I think they will ALL return. They may have tweaked movesets, but that's all that will change.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think they should all return but it's not going to happen, Sakurai said it himself. I don't see why he's taking people out, it only messed with Brawl's fanbase.

Skeegyis_Kick

Smash Rookie
I'm not too sure who to take out...

I say with the clones, such as Dr Mario... maybe they will have a thing where you can replace the skin on Mario, and changing the skin will make slight changes. Just a thought..

SuperSmashKiko

Smash Rookie
I think they should all return but it's not going to happen, Sakurai said it himself. I don't see why he's taking people out, it only messed with Brawl's fanbase.
woooooww ... that realllly sucks...just to know..the person you took your time for...cut like that... bam gone... but hey what can you do? :urg:

MartyTheBarb

Smash Rookie
I was under the impression, since all ther characters from 64 moved over into melee that all the melee ones would go to brawl. Am i wrong for thinking this? There seems to some obvious reasons as to dropping characters, space, originality, unpopularity, but i just figured it owuld be easier to keep everyone. Now that i think about its kinda sad seeing who's gonna get dropped =*( Well anyway, we'll know for sure soon enough

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I was under the impression, since all ther characters from 64 moved over into melee that all the melee ones would go to brawl. Am i wrong for thinking this? There seems to some obvious reasons as to dropping characters, space, originality, unpopularity, but i just figured it owuld be easier to keep everyone. Now that i think about its kinda sad seeing who's gonna get dropped =*( Well anyway, we'll know for sure soon enough
Smash 64: Nintendo had all the time they needed to make the characters exactly the way they wanted them to turn out. For the most part, the characters were balanced, providing a good gaming experience no matter which character you chose to play.

Melee: Nintendo has all the time that is necessary to make 20 characters. Then they go oh ****, we never reached our quota. Bam! They add in Doc, Falco, Pichu, Ganon, Y. Link, Roy. Only, because of time restraints, they didn't get the oprotunity to do what they really wanted with the characters. The only thing about this that troubles me is this: the clone characters were cloned because they were added late in development. If Nintendo truly cared about their inclusion, why would they add them last? Maybe they didn't care as much as we would like to believe, and that is why they are most likely to get the boot for Brawl.

Brawl: Nintendo is not making the same mistake it made with Brawl. The release date will be pushed and pushed until Nintendo is happy with the final product. So you wonder, will Nintendo be carrying over every character into Brawl like they did with Melee? Deffinately not. Aside from what has been said now for the upbillionth time, not all characters will return. The first to go will be the clones if they cannot be reworked, the second will probably be less important characters like Shiek and...no that's it.

For whoever made the comment about sticking with Falco no matter what happens to him, he still won't be your best character anymore. That's like being a Samus main and Samus looses her bombs for a ZSS transformation move. Or being a Jiggs main and loosing rest. Or being a Kirby main and loosing your top-tier upB, which by the way happened and chassed everyone away. See where I am going with this. A character might be less favorable in my eyes if he/she were changed, and thus regardless of whether or not that character is my favorite, I won't main him/her.

Also, there were 12 characters in Smash 64 not 14, I don't know why no one corrected that yet.

In the Fray

Smash Apprentice
Smash 64: Nintendo had all the time they needed to make the characters exactly the way they wanted them to turn out. For the most part, the characters were balanced, providing a good gaming experience no matter which character you chose to play.

Melee: Nintendo has all the time that is necessary to make 20 characters. Then they go oh ****, we never reached our quota. Bam! They add in Doc, Falco, Pichu, Ganon, Y. Link, Roy. Only, because of time restraints, they didn't get the oprotunity to do what they really wanted with the characters. The only thing about this that troubles me is this: the clone characters were cloned because they were added late in development. If Nintendo truly cared about their inclusion, why would they add them last? Maybe they didn't care as much as we would like to believe, and that is why they are most likely to get the boot for Brawl.

Brawl: Nintendo is not making the same mistake it made with Brawl. The release date will be pushed and pushed until Nintendo is happy with the final product. So you wonder, will Nintendo be carrying over every character into Brawl like they did with Melee? Deffinately not. Aside from what has been said now for the upbillionth time, not all characters will return. The first to go will be the clones if they cannot be reworked, the second will probably be less important characters like Shiek and...no that's it.

For whoever made the comment about sticking with Falco no matter what happens to him, he still won't be your best character anymore. That's like being a Samus main and Samus looses her bombs for a ZSS transformation move. Or being a Jiggs main and loosing rest. Or being a Kirby main and loosing your top-tier upB, which by the way happened and chassed everyone away. See where I am going with this. A character might be less favorable in my eyes if he/she were changed, and thus regardless of whether or not that character is my favorite, I won't main him/her.

Also, there were 12 characters in Smash 64 not 14, I don't know why no one corrected that yet.

Very very nice post, And all of this from a girl at that ? I do Agree with your post for the foremost but how do you know the clones were added in the late databasis of the game ? Has that been proven by anyone as of yet ? But I found some of the things you said just little out of touch not to say I completly disagree with you, For the most part you made alot of sense. But for the keepsake of Sora himself mention that they had no intention of making this game. Im going on the ball and saying that this game will definitly be rushed, Since without a doubt the game had no intention of existing before it was suddenly annouced at E3.

And of course silly characters that were placed in the game for no true meaning will be removed, The ones such as Pichu,game and watch,mewtwo, And ICs. I have no doubt they will be subdued to deresislution. But since the game character selection is somewhat influenced by the fans I doubt the clones will be leaveing ( If Any ) Since most character clones are pretty populare such as Young Link ( If not the most ) and falco, Roy and marth. I know Roy personally is one of japans most favorite characters. I am very confident he will be returning as well as some others.

But if they do as you say keep pushing the game back it will be without a doubt be full of surprises. And taking into account some characters may change in move set, does not most certainly mean it is for the worst so people wont automaticly stop playing with their mains, Some people souly main characters based on their fanbase or origins, most could care less what moveset the character have. Such as I and Pit, I plan on maining pit simply because I love his nintendo game. Also just a Reminder im not disagreeing with you just sheding some light on the otherside as well. I loved your post but it surprised me it came from a girl. None the less it was good.

Pikminshallruleoverall

Smash Apprentice
And of course silly characters that were placed in the game for no true meaning will be removed, The ones such as Pichu,game and watch,mewtwo, And ICs. I have no doubt they will be subdued to deresislution
Pichu is so lovable and cute(and in the anime)that Japan loves him. A Japan game responds to Japan more. Game & Watch is the grandpa of Handhelds. He started the whole handheld thing. He more than deserved to be in. Mewtwo is the only true evil Pokemon before Deaxys that deserves to be in(he was also in the anime). ICs were to represent the past. Pit is the same thing. They both deserved to be in. If ICs didn't belong, Pit doesn't either.

But since the game character selection is somewhat influenced by the fans I doubt the clones will be leaveing ( If Any ) Since most character clones are pretty populare such as Young Link ( If not the most ) and falco, Roy and marth.
I say Y. Link change to Cel-shaded to represent the Cel-shaded Links. NOt really keeping him in but keeping him in still. Falco will obviously stay. Being loved by Star Fox fans and Melee fans. Roy was just in for advertisment. He's like Pichu and Mewtwo is to you. Math isn't a clone.

I know Roy personally is one of japans most favorite characters. I am very confident he will be returning as well as some others.
How can you personally know that? How do you know he is loved in Japan? Proof?

Rhyme

Smash Lord
He more than deserved to be in. Mewtwo is the only true evil Pokemon before Deaxys that deserves to be in(he was also in the anime). ICs were to represent the past. Pit is the same thing. They both deserved to be in. If ICs didn't belong, Pit doesn't either.
True statement, but you might want to watch what you say. Sakurai said "no Anime characters will be in Brawl". Granted Mewtwo was Pokemon, Tv/movie and collectors game beforehand, but listing his inclusion in Anime as a reason is no good.

I say Y. Link change to Cel-shaded to represent the Cel-shaded Links.

How can you personally know that? How do you know he is loved in Japan? Proof?
I have no proof but, last I heard from translation threads, Roy's personality was considered flat and un-appealing. Why would a generally un-interesting character be desired by gamers? Chances are that, if this is in fact true, Roy will then not make it into Brawl.

Very very nice post, And all of this from a girl at that ? I do Agree with your post for the foremost but how do you know the clones were added in the late databasis of the game ? Has that been proven by anyone as of yet ? . . . . Im going on the ball and saying that this game will definitly be rushed, Since without a doubt the game had no intention of existing before it was suddenly annouced at E3.
I have no proof, that is why I stated that the above was my opinion. I simply figured that the developers would not wait until near the end of development to put in a character that they genuinly wanted to be in the game. I had heard from a few sources that, closer to the release date, Sakurai was given the "OK" to go ahead and add the clones. The clones must then have been the way they are because they were last minute.

Good point, though, about the game being rushed due to its surprise announcal at E3. I hadn't taken that into consideration.

The ones such as Pichu,game and watch,mewtwo, And ICs. I have no doubt they will be subdued to deresislution.

...people wont automaticly stop playing with their mains, Some people souly main characters based on their fanbase or origins, most could care less what moveset the character have. Such as I and Pit, I plan on maining pit simply because I love his nintendo game.
From a girl? I'm gonna say that was steryotyping and not sexism.

Pichu doesn't have that much importance in my eyes. As for his importance as a Baby Pokemon, I know enough about it to know Pika, Jiggs, and Mewtwo but not Pichu, who would you assume is the least important? I didn't even know they made Baby Pokemon 'til someone on these boards told me.

As for favorite characters, I probably don't have as strong an attraction to any given character then. Don't get me wrong, I think Samus is one crazy chick. She uses high-tech weapons and embarks on transplanetary adventures. Plus she is uber fun to play. But, if Nintendo changed her in such a way that I wasn't good with her anymore(such as with Yoshi from Smash 64 to Melee), then I'm not gonna beat myself over the head trying to learn a character I suck with, I'll just pick a different character. Sure I still play Yoshi in Melee because I love him, but loving him doesn't make me any better with him and he's still one of my worst.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
omg I want to do a long-*** reply like a always do but... i'm so tiiiiired.

Um, k all I really want to say here is that Rhyme is wrong like usual k? thnx.

;p jk

Pikminshallruleoverall

Smash Apprentice
True statement, but you might want to watch what you say. Sakurai said "no Anime characters will be in Brawl". Granted Mewtwo was Pokemon, Tv/movie and collectors game beforehand, but listing his inclusion in Anime as a reason is no good.
I meant the reason he's so popular is because of being in the anime. Japan loves anime. That's why they love Mewtwo and Pichu.

EggBomb

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't see a HUGE roster of characters appearing in Brawl. They only added 8 completely new characters to Melee, the rest were clones. After reworking, removing and replacing some the 26 from Melee; I think something like 28-32 characters will be an appropriate sized roster. This opens up new character spaces to about 8-12.

Reworked Characters:
Mewtwo
Ice Climbers (Either rework mechanics or removed)
Falco (More focus on Aerial attacks)
Young Link (Cel-Shaded if kept)

Removed Characters:
Doc Mario
Pichu
Game and Watch (Style-wise replaced by Wario)
Shiek (Style-wise replaced by ZSS)
Roy

Replaced Characters:
Marth replaced with Ike

Top Bottom