• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Washington Melee thread

Shinymonkey8

Smash Cadet
HELLO

I'm Shiny. I know this isn't the place to introduce myself (even though I'm not necessarily new to Smash), but I decided I wanted to get to know the WA smash community, and I've heard that you all are really cool people (not to mention good at Smash).

I live in Spokane, Washington. I have been playing Melee/Brawl (more brawl than melee) for a while now, and I have recently come to a point where I am not getting better at Smash, simply because I can now beat all of my friends who play smash. Sadly, none of my friends have a drive to improve at the game like I do. I have also not participated in any tournaments, since Spokane doesn't have any, and I haven't committed to driving any semi-long distances to participate in one yet (I really would like to go to GameClucks). I'm actually in the process of planning a fairly large tournament in Spokane, but I'll talk more about that in the future, or if someone asks.

Anyway, I'm excited to meet you all; this seems like a very fun community to be a part of. As you can see by my post count, my account is fairly new, but I have been lurking SWF for a few months now. I'll try not to infect you all with my noobness. :)

Sorry about the essay, it won't happen again! :bee: I'll be happy to go in to more detail about myself or anything else if someone is interested.

C!Z

Smash Lord
If you're more into brawl you should use Allisbrawl.com idk if you know about it or not. I've actually thought I've seen them posting about brawl tourneys recently in EaWA on that site, but I may be wrong.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
it's a really good truck.

but seriously, WWA brawl tournaments get like 7 entrants and WWA melee tournaments consistently get 30-40. can't speak for EWA, but hey. seattle is where it's at anyway

and brawl is kind of not a good game

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Melee guys are cool, but don't let em bash brawl if you like it more, they're both good games. Just different.
EWA has a larger Brawl scene, but we have some good players on both sides of the spectrum.
I'd love to get more info on the tournament you're planning. I've hosted a regional in the area before and I might be able to help out.

Shinymonkey8

Smash Cadet
you should get into melee, the scene is way bigger. and melee is a lot better
I have been recently trying it out, and I can tell it is definitely more competitive. I'm much better at brawl currently, but I want to get to the point where I'm at least decent at melee.

it's a really good truck.

but seriously, WWA brawl tournaments get like 7 entrants and WWA melee tournaments consistently get 30-40. can't speak for EWA, but hey. seattle is where it's at anyway

and brawl is kind of not a good game
I like brawl personally, but I can see why some people don't like it. Well, if you say WA melee is bigger, I'll try and up my melee game.

Melee guys are cool, but don't let em bash brawl if you like it more, they're both good games. Just different.
EWA has a larger Brawl scene, but we have some good players on both sides of the spectrum.
I'd love to get more info on the tournament you're planning. I've hosted a regional in the area before and I might be able to help out.
I agree.
Awesome! Some help would always be appreciated. I suppose I can post the details in this thread, but in a new post, since this one's already cluttered.

EDIT: also, Jamntoast, I think I'm coming to your brawl tournament in Cheney this weekend. :)

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Ooh, Krynxe comin through with the pink name =D good lookin
Lol yeah. You know I'm not gonna leave no *****s hanging

Also, I won't be going to the this Best Bout, but I'll for sure be at GC.

Shinymonkey8

Smash Cadet
So, here are the tournament details:

It is set for March 10th, and it will be over in Otis Orchards right by Liberty Lake at a venue that my youth group conveniently owns called The Kave, which is pretty much a mile from Spokane Valley. I haven't put it up on SWF yet, but am planning to do so very soon.

We're planning on having 50+ people going (including some top players from Idaho I've heard, don't know specifics), but with the addition of people from the SWF community, it should be more.

$55 for first, $35 for second, and $15 for third, half of the tournament proceeds are going to Piti Piti, a charity organization for Haiti. Entrance fee is $5. There will be food (chips, Pizza, soda, energy drinks).

Aaand, I think that's it. It should be pretty cool, and if we can actually get some people to go to it, it should be pretty awesome.

Shinymonkey8

Smash Cadet
How are you so much of a wizard to get 50+ people going?
I have a group of 20 friends who ALL play smash, even though some of them are terrible, and they all said they would go. One of my friends' brother has a ton of friends who play, and my youth group leader knows the kids from Idaho who are supposedly 'the best in the state.' I really hope they are, but yeah.

Also, I'm not the only one planning this, my friend is. You should see him go, he is seriously like a professional event planner.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Well that's awesome.
You should let those friends know about this weekend. The tournament is free and the more the merrier! We'll have people here of all skill levels

Shinymonkey8

Smash Cadet
Well that's awesome.
You should let those friends know about this weekend. The tournament is free and the more the merrier! We'll have people here of all skill levels
Alright, I will tell them all tomorrow. Only probably a quarter of them are higher than the total noob level, but you never know, some might be interested. And hey, free food!

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
What are the names of the Idaho players...?

Edit: Not that it matters since MacD is the best Sheik in Idaho.

MasterC

Smash Ace
ALLLLLL ABOARD!! THE MELEE TRUCK BOUND FOR GREATNESS XD

EDIT: what's good C!Z?!?! Guess who else got on that pink swagger wagon ;) goodlookin out Miguel!
:phone:

C!Z

Smash Lord
PINKfoLIFE owww

Haha I'm pretty sure none of us are willing to travel to EaWA for a $55 first place prize. Not that I'm a grinch, cuz it's for a good cause or what not, but I just know all of us. That's a Teddy thing, maybe he'll get a carpool goin so he can impress all the not so good people whilst being a white knight.

MasterC

Smash Ace
so i guess we're all going to EWA for this tourney?
LOL says the dude who rarely travels an hour to smash :p I'm down for 3 hours in any direction but 5 is a bit much man...

Whatever happened to that dude out in kennewick who thought he was the best? Anybody remember him? He drove 3 hours to one of my fests, got bodied, and never came bak or said a word after that lol

EDIT: oh and goodsh** to bmello and oreo for comin out to pookie's on wed, y'all are mad good yo xD gg's and all

C!Z

Smash Lord
LOL I remember that dude. Same thing kinda happened to that Green Samus guy... Hope he sticks around. Why'd you guys put him against me =P

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
you mean sk8n master.

I LOL'D hard at top pros from idaho, I thought they all quit everything.

and word valdenz, melee is a better truck. brawl is actually a bad game, its not preference, its just bad.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Kline's in a plenty good position to judge Melee and Brawl, considering he's gotten pretty good at Melee and he's won Brawl tournaments in the past.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
"Overly defensive" is completely subjective, and MK is banned now, at least on the EC. Tripping is the only really anti-competitive thing in Brawl assuming you play on neutrals with no items. And without MK the games is arguably more balanced than Melee.

I don't even like Brawl, I just don't think it's fun to play competitively, but that doesn't mean it's objectively bad or uncompetitive.

it being more balanced than melee means nothing when the game itself is terrible. but thats what happens when you try your hardest to not make smash bros a competitive game lol

Jem.

Smash Master
I think more than anything, no one that plays Brawl is motivated. Everyone is too embarrassed to say they cared or tried if they loss to cover up that they put effort. It is likely a combination of the games poor competitive mechanics and lack of drive from smash players. I remember there was a time when I seriously wanted to be the best brawl player in the world when I went to MLG. But that's a whole different discussion of motivation, which melee players have more of.

MK isn't banned on the west coast, and most of the country is changing their mind about banning MK after Japan said they would have no reason to come back to the US if MK is banned. The game is lame with or without MK, so might as well leave him so every region is at their best.

That said, if you enjoy melee and brawl, it doesn't hurt to enter both. Even if the turnout isn't great, you'd still get to play with the 2 best players in the PNW (Felix and myself) over Brawl's lifespan. And Bladewise is very good as well and had his own reign over WA for awhile. And then you have the high level play from the top in WA for Melee and you have a pretty fun tournament day if you like both :p

pandacheck

Smash Ace
For the Smash Community I have a pretty big sized TV that's perfect for smash, my dads got no room for it and its been sitting around the house for a while, I was wondering if anyone up there wanted to have it, idk when I can bring it up North, maybe at Otto's tourney on the 18th i'll try and figure something out, but if i bring it up, its all yours ( preferrably for the Smash MELEE community *f(_)ck brawl* ), but yea just let me know if you guys at the TukHouse got room for it, its about the size of those GC TV's except a bit older, but runs Melee smoothly

Shinymonkey8

Smash Cadet
PINKfoLIFE owww

Haha I'm pretty sure none of us are willing to travel to EaWA for a $55 first place prize. Not that I'm a grinch, cuz it's for a good cause or what not, but I just know all of us. That's a Teddy thing, maybe he'll get a carpool goin so he can impress all the not so good people whilst being a white knight.
The prize will go up the more people we get. 55 was just an estimate.

MasterC

Smash Ace
The prize will go up the more people we get. 55 was just an estimate.
$55 is a pretty poor estimate for 50+ ppl, just saying...

EDIT: when the fu** did kline win a brawl tourney? LOL pretty sure the only brawl tourney we ever entered we got eliminated first round (it was a ffa on flatzone) xD

Top Bottom