• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Toon Link support thread, home to the Knights of the Drowned Kingdom!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
From what I understand, Zelda is a member of the royal family bloodline. Her character descends from this lineage regardless of the game in question. Even in Wind Waker, the King of Hyrule explains that she possesses that royal blood, along with the Triforce of Wisdom.

Edit: The only game I can think of that deludes from this is A Link to the Past, where Zelda is a descendant of one of the seven sages; however, they never say whether or not the sage is in fact a member of the royal bloodline.

Ganondorf, on the other hand, I'm not so sure of. I always thought that Ganonforf is actually the same character throughout the series. Example:

*Possible spoilers coming up here!*

Ocarina of Time (presumed to be the first Zelda, timeline wise): Ganondorf is sealed away by the Sages.

Twilight Princess (Branch 'A' from this timeline): Ganondorf breaks the seal before his execution. At the end of the game, with the Triforce of Power leaving his hand, he is presumed dead.

Wind Waker (Branch 'B' from this timeline): Ganondorf rises to power. The three Goddesses, in an attempt to seal him away forever, flood the land of Hyrule. The Kingdom is sealed in a 'time-lapsed' bubble, but Ganondorf manages to escape this prison by sacrificing his power. When Link breaks the seal on the Kingdom by withdrawling the Master Sword, Ganondorf's power returns to him. He is presumed dead and sealed away under the ocean at the end of the game.

It appears that the timeline that Wind Waker falls under is more of a 'What If', as in 'What if Ganondorf came to power and there was no Link there to stop him?' Well, no Hero of Time, that is.
You really know your Zelda games. Props.

You're completely right about there being one Ganondorf. I don't know why I said that.:dizzy:

But while I could sorta see that TP Link is just OoT Link reincarnated, I don't think the same applies to Zelda. She's OoT Zelda's decendent, but that doesn't make her the same person.

No, you've got it wrong. What happened was that in order to explain why most Zelda games have little to nothing to do with eachother, they came up with some stupid story about having several generations of Links and Zeldas.

MM SUX

Smash Rookie
Thats ****ing ****!!! Watch Out ******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I would love to play as WW (Young) Link as his pajamas set from the Wind Waker game.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
How can you say that WW Link was not derived from said prophecy/fate/destiny? It was tradition on Outset Island to dress the boys coming of age in the Hero's clothing to carry on the old traditions. Heck, his grandma even sent him to Orca, the only swordsman left in their peaceful times to learn from him.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see WW Link in Brawl...I'm just not sure that distinction applies to him :)
I should have elaborated a bit more. Sorry 'bout that. :laugh:

He's doesn't share the same prophecy as Ocarina Link because he isn't the same Hero. If you follow the storyline for Wind Waker (my favorite Zelda game, can't you tell?), you realize that if Aryll was never kidnapped by the bird, Link would have never had a reason to go out and fight evil. It wasn't until the King of Red Lions convinced Link to draw the Master Sword in order to defeat Ganondorf that his real problem began. He probably could have found a way to rescue his sister and return home without having to worry about the sword. Ganondorf had no real power at the time and would have been virtually harmless to the world without releasing the seal on Hyrule.

If only he hadn't listened to that stupid red boat! :p

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Nice job Fawriel, it's good to have a more official home for our hero! I would have to agree... top of the tower is completely perfect for Brawl. All those lovely cel-shaded water effects. Epic indeed. A crappier idea off the top of my head would be on Tetra's ship, and also have the King of Red Lions on one side that you could fall down onto. Then you would have to double jump and up B to get back on the ship. Eh, whatever. Oh, and no, you're not the only one that doesn't want an item based move-set. I'm seriously going to have to come up with a move-set. (not that I don't like some of the others)

My slightly random prediction: WW Link will be announced by Dec. 31st!

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
Wow, the WW Link haters are getting deperate for reasons to deconfirm him.

Link's entrance = WW Link defonfirmed, 0mg lulz!!!

Desperate.:laugh:

Burning Soul

Smash Apprentice
Wow, the WW Link haters are getting deperate for reasons to deconfirm him.

Link's entrance = WW Link defonfirmed, 0mg lulz!!!

Desperate.:laugh:
QFT =P

Yeah really, Young Link > Old link, even though the first zelda game i beat was OoT, i still think that young link deserves a spot in brawl more. Old link is just more popular among new gamers.

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
But what would he's name be?... I don't think he would be named "Wind Waker Link"... And "Link" is already taken... BTW ylink_underestimated: You can change your signature cuz it's no longer december 3rd
i know. its just that i dont know how to make those flash things (i stole this pic from someone). but if u click on that pic, it has the right date.
I don't think WW Link should be in Brawl. It is enough with one Link.
if youd give some reasons as to y not, id probly respect u more, but nice job on being the first to say that haha

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace

I did not make this to cause confusion, or have it treated as official, but
I just wanted to show everyone how I imagine him in Brawl. Ofcourse, if
he's in he won't be EXACT the Windwaker model, he'll have more detail.

I actually made him look more twilight princess like, so you can bash it
if you like, but I think it reflects how I want him in Brawl.

Also, Great Sea theme on the "Hero of Winds joins the Brawl!" movie.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'll be the token Midna supporter. Can't have a Young Link thread without one, right?

The way I see it, Midna is the only real competition Young Link has. The only other choice I'd consider even remotely viable is Vaati, and he kind of presupposes that Young Link is already in the game anyway. The Young Link vs. Midna argument really comes down to an argument between series relevance and moveset diversity in general.

SERIES RELEVANCE
Young Link is the clear winner here. He's got a whole branch of the series dedicated to him, after all. However, Midna's disadvantage here might not be quite so bad as it seems. True, she was only in one game, but then again, so was Sheik. Also, even though Midna as an individual entity has only appeared once, the position of Link's sidekick as a whole is one that has been filled many times (Navi, Tatl, King of Red Lions, Ezlo, Midna, Ceila...am I missing any?). And of that list, Midna is really the only one combat-viable enough to represent them (and is also probably the most popular and the most active in her respective game). So, if you look at things from that angle, her series relevance isn't so bad (though it admittedly still pales in comparison to Young Link's).

MOVESET DIVERSITY
This is where Young Link has problems. Granted, it would not be difficult to give him unique specials, but you could have ten Links and give them all different specials if you dug deep enough. More importantly, though, Young Link's A-moves need to be distinct from both Adult Link and the rest of the swordsmen in the cast to make his inclusion really worthwhile. Midna, on the other hand, is a sorceress riding a feral beast, for Nayru's sake. Prodigious magic combined with a flurry of fangs and claws, all in the framework of a quadrupedal entity. I defy you to come up with even one thing more awesome or unique than that. (Okay, maybe two things...*glares at Pokemon Trainer.)

So, the clash between Young Link and Midna really comes down to what you look for in a character in general. As for me, whenever I think of any potential newcomer, the very first thing that runs through my mind is "What would this character's moveset add to the game?" Young Link as a playable could certainly still happen, and could even work reasonably well if they worked hard enough at it, but from my perspective, wolf-riding-Midna as a fighter would just way more interesting to play as than a (perhaps even heavily) modified version of another character, and I can't help but favor her.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but Wyvern, WW Link's style is completely different... yes, you can make a dozen links and in general have their moves be somewhat rehashed but all be different. With some of the weapons that WW Link uses, though, it takes advantage of his cartoon style to abuse; Skull Hammer being a prime example of a weapon you'd never see another Link use in the same, hasty manner (closest think is the Chainlink ball from TP, and that needs a good amount of wind up to use). Also the way WW Link dodges and strikes with his sword is completely different than any Link before him.

Beyond the fact he's the main character of the Zelda series, he's also ironically unique enough to hold his own. Heck, his Up+B doesn't even have to be the spin attack; it could be his Deku Leaf.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Just throwing this out there: Phantom Hourglass is an amazing game...
I've yet to play it (but I own it...too busy with MP3, and Brawl stuff now! :laugh:)...

Anyways...

Originally Posted by THE SUPER AWSOME JOHNKNIGHT1!
~Johnknight 1's Wind Waker Link moveset Version 2 (yes, I finally upgraded to original character, seeing as how Brawl is inebitatbly delayed for 2008)

B moveset:

uB: Spin Attack: He takes YL's old spin attack, but puts his own spin on it. Simply put, it does more damage, makes the opponent fly at a 45 degree angle either way, and have muvh better impact. Also, it is a much more hieght-based recovery then YL's, and goes much higher. It is also chargeable. Charge it for anything less than max, and all it does is increase number the number of hits=more damage (btw, this move is like aupgrade of YL's spin attack). But it once charged for two seconds, Wind Waker Link's sword has a yellow/goldish aura (like in the Wind Waker), and he can unleash the hurricane spin. You can move while charging (you hold down the B button, and tap the control stick to mpove; you cannont jump within this time) Then, Wind Waker Link goes around spinning in circles. You either get hit by this once (getting hit at a 45 degree angle, and taking 5% damage), or get hit by it a thousand times. The total damage of this attack equals 30 damage, but that isn't hte worst of it.

Wind Waker Link has super armor when doing this move, and it can't be stopped. He is vulnerable to damage AND ALL PROJECTILES DURING THIS TIME. If you do let's say PK Fire, and it hits Wind Waker Link, it's effect hurts him, but does not effect him. If you time the attack right, you can hit him while he's invincible, but once he turns vulnerable, the after effect (like lets say, burn effect) impacts Wind Waker Link. Anyways, the final smash is a very KOable move if you are in the 80% damage up. However, after this attack Wind Waker Link is dizzy, and completely vulnerable for 2 seconds. Once hurt, he can move freely, or once the time is up. This move takes a long time to charge, is very powerful, but the after effect is very bad, as well as being hurt by porjectiles. Good for small stages, but maybe not very useful, per se.

fB: Skull Hammer: on ground: YL quickly pulls out his hammer, similar to Kirb'y hammer, but better, and he pulls it over his head to the ground. He pulls it out much faster, and the attack can be charged, in a very Icel Climber forward smash kinda way. It does a good amount of damage, great impact (great for edge guarding), but is kind laggy. Not as laggy as Kirby's hammer (that was a pathetic move), but still semi-laggy. Also, it has GREAT RANGE!

in air: Wind Waker Link quickly pullls out the (M.C.) Hammer, and swings it sideways. Good move, great damage, well below avearge impact. It has quite some lag, but it is very bearable. Great for charging at opponents with. Also has great range.

nB: Bow and Arrow: Link pulls out his arrows, and charges it. I know Link has this move, but he instantly shoots straight. For Wind Waker Link, he does the same, but you can charge it (IDK if Link can or not), and you stay implanted. The upside is you can shoot up to a 45 degree angle, up or down. It is somewat laggy, but it could stil lbe a very useful move. Also, the burn effect adds a couple of damage, as well as it causes about average stun.

dB: Dekui Leaf: Yes, the Deku Leaf. That leaf that allows you to fly. It could be a great, original move.

In air: Wind Waker Link begins gliding up for a while, and then descends. He goes up about as much as his second jump, but it takes about 30 frames to do so. (or 1/2 a second) He then gradually begins to descend. Opponents hit by Wind Waker Link take a bit of damage, but this move has great (comboable) stun (not KOable stun). Good for mindgames in recovery, since it can be used. Someat like Peach's parasol, but it doesn't descned as fast, it goes from side to side slower, and it actually ascends, and can be used right before the uB and tether recovery.

On land: Wind Waker Link pulls out the Deku Leaf, and pulls it over his head. Simply put, he pulls it out fast, and it does little damage, but GREAT IMPACT (Ko able if they get hit by the leaf). This move cause a giant air gust of Wind, which travels like a projectile. The move does well below avearge damage, but the impact almost makes up for it. The gust goes until the end of the stage, and goes about as fast as Link's Gale Boomerang (in Brawl, that is=when it's fastest). Also, if the opponent is hit by the leaf, it does above average damage, but the impact can be KOable. Sorta like Luigi's uB or Jigg's dB, definitely. Has below average lag, and can be done repeatidly pretty fast (about as fast as Link's boomerang to arrows).

A moveset:

A, A, A, A, A: Forward down slash, up slash, left to right slash (the last does decent damage). However, WW Link has something original. He then leads with a verticle low down to high up slash, and finishes with a jump slash.

fA: Link does a left to right slash, that goes very fast, and does above average damage, but below average stun.

down tilt: Link does a up to down slash (very) qickly, with well below average lag. It does some damage (not much=below avearge damage), but it does above average stun. Could potentially be a very good combo move.

up titlt: Wind Waker Link does a horizontal slash up, that does great damage, and average impact. Its sorta like Marth's, but ya know, it goes sideways and up, and down. It can be followed up, but can't really be used repeatidly (good) like Fox's up tilt, or Link's. It's more of a move that sets a follow up, and combos. And it is a good move, definitely ;)

forward smash: Wind Waker Link takes two brutal slices sideways (left to right, and then right to left). It hits the opponent at around a 70 or so degree angle (but they only go maybe like 10 feet in the 20's damage when charged for 30 frames). Without charge it does average impact, well below average damage, and some potential lead up. Has little edge guarding potential. However, when charged it has good impact (that can lead to a KOable move), a little below average damage, and little comboabilitiy in low damage %, but much more, later on. A move to keep in mind, but isn't a high prioriety move, per se.

down smash: Wind Waker Link does a stab forward (at a down 45 degree angle), and then turns around and does the same. Does above average damage, little stun, and has pratically no comboability, outside of team play. It has somwat little lag. It is very useful in team play, and can be great for keeping the distance between you and your opponent(s)/spacing.

up smash: Wind Waker Link swordplants up (all on the ground). Does decent (somewat below average damage), but has great impact, enough to hit the opponent down on the ground (like 10 feet away). Can be comboable if led with a proper A air move. Also has below average lag (though not by much). Definitely worth using in the 40 to 60 percentiles.

nAir: Wind Waker Link stabs forward, and thrusts forward. Does a bit below average damage, with some impact, but it is very KOable. A good move that can be led to with a dAir, and eventuall become a combo. Must be timed properly, as it isn't a very long attack.

fAir: Wind Waker Link slices from above his head straight down, and spins, doing a backflip (all in air, and really fast). Has a little bit below average lag, and does great damage. This move is also a spike, and is very powerful and useful. It's basically one of the A button commands from the Wind Waker, and is a very powerful move. It is somewat comboable, though it's more useful as a spike and a one hit damage move. One of the least laggy spikes, it would be a good move all aorund. However, you drop drastically, and need to be careful when doing this over the ledge. You might need Wind Waker Link's tether recovery to recover if you miss (if you hit your opponent, you bounce up a little).

uAir: Wind Waker Link leans back, and quickly swipes his sword (in the upward angle). He swings his sword from one side above him, to another. This move does below avearge damage, but above average stun. When timed properly, you can pull off two when your opponent is stunned, and in low damage percentages (just like Ness' uAir). It very comboable with the same attack, or other air and land attacks (again, just like Ness' uAir). Very comboable, desipte lacking damage and major impact. Definitely a attack that you should use, and it could be a very useful attack.

dAir: Wind Waker Link does the signature swordplant. Basically it is the move Wind Waker Link did to Ganondorf at the end of the Wind Waker. Basically, it's very unlike Link's. Link stabs his opponent with this move. However, unlike Link's, you can't do it over and over again. It causs you to DI down as fast as the fastest fast faller (Wind Waker Link drops at a semi-fast falling rate). It does massive damage. Anyways, you stab your opponent, and if it hits, the sword gets implanted in them, and then Wind Waker Link pulls it out (while on their head/body), and backflips off them. Does massive damage, and knocks them down afterwards (they fall like the just fainted, though they can come right up). This move is basically not comboable at all. Anyways, if your opponent shields, Wind Waker Link stab hits the shield, and falls next to your opponent (if at a angle). If you hit them straight on, Wind Waker Link bounces up a little (just about 3 feet).

High prioriety attack, with a bit abover average lag (still very useable). AFter requiring the time to take out his sword, the move goes really fast, at you can cancel it by jumping, using your Zair, clicking another A air attack, or by tapping up on the control stick (or X or Y, even if you don't have your 2nd jump left). This move, simply put is great, and is a Wind Waker Link signature move. In other words, it is to Wind Waker Link what the knee is to Ganondorf and Captin Falcon. It's the anit-Ganondorf, just like it was in the Wind Waker. ;) This is also not a spike. It is a single hit damage move. His spike is his fAir.

Zair: Wind Waker Link quickly pulls out his grapple, and throws it really fasst. Does minimal damage, and is barely comboable in 1 vs 1.'s (great for 2 vs 2's). Has well above average impact, but below average damage. Also, it has very little lag, and the extension time is very fast. Also has amazing range, and the damage increases with range.

It's also his tether (grab) recovery, and about as long as Zero Suit Samus' whip. Possibly (if not the) best tether recovery, it is very useful, and can be followed with the Deku Leaf, OR the spin attack. This is really a must use attack for recoevery, as it will save you time and time again. You must master this in order to use Wind Waker Link at his full potential. Definitely a good move.

Running A: Wind Waker Link does one of Link's signature moves: The Jumping SLASH! Simply put, it lags well above the average running A attack, but it does a bit above average damage, below average impact, but it is a GREAT COMBO move (especially if you follow with a aerial attack, or the same attack). Great move to use, and is and can be very useful.

Grabs:

Grab: Link pulls out his hooshot, and shoots it out. You can push Z again to cancel it, and have the hookshot instantly begin pulling back (like in all the Zeldas, like the Wind Waker0. Has above average lag if missed, but not by much. ;) It isn't as long as Samus' grapple beam or Link's (double) clawshot)s), but it's very useful, and much faster.

Hits: Link holds them down (hookshot has their torso), and he smacks them with his sword. Does a tad bit above average damage, and has well above average grab time, since it has so many negative consequences (to cancel it out).

forward throw: Wind Waker Link pushes them, and grabs his skull hammer, and hits them (while still holding them with the hookshot, and he always releases them just in time for them to feel the impact and damage. Does major damage, but little impact (shoots them straight down). Great for racking damage, but not for combos.

back throw: Wind Waker Link slashes them while doing a 180 spin, and the slash goes the whole way through. Does a bit below average damage, but has great impact, that could potential be comboalbe, leading to KOs. Great in the higher percentages.

up throw: Wind Waker Link throws his opponent up (somehow, with his little child strength), and then (up) swordplants them up. Does good damage, and decent stun (more then enough to get away from). Great combo grab move in the 30 to 70 percentiles, with great combo possibilites. Definitely worth using.

down throw: WInd Waker Link throws his opponent down, and chucks a bomb at them (I had to use bombs somewhere, and where better=???). This does well below average damage, and about average stun. However, this move is great above the 50 damage percentiles. Because then, your opponent bounces off the ground (and goes off the ground about 4 feet after slamming again the ground, and you can do major damage to them, or combo them. Be warned though: teching can get them out of it, though it is hard to time (teching in this situation, that is). Definitely the perfect damage racker grab. Definitely.

Taunts:

Taunt 1: Wind Waker Link begins jumping up and down with happiness, like he does when he defeats a boss. A bit longer then the average taunt.

Taunt 2: Wind Waker Link Drinks his Chu Chu Juice, or watever. Maybe Lon Lon Ranch Milk for the heck of keeping YLink's old taunt from Melee. In other words, a recration (though hopefully it's shorter). VERYYYY LOOONNNNGGG (hopefully it's much shorter).

Taunt 3: Wind Waker Link enters a funny pose, just like he does when he first recieves the Master Sword. Sorta like Link's SSB64 taunt. Shorter then the average taunt, by somewat of a good extent.

Final Smash: Wind Waker Link pulls out the Wind Waker, and plays the Ballad of Gales. Suddenly, the King of Red Lions appears out of nowhere, and Link hops on it, and the sail plops open. Then a giant cyclone comes, and lifts Wind Waker Link and the King of Red Lions up. Then, you can freely fly, and bump enemies, as the wind sucks them in towards you. Running into them does massive damage (depending on the speed), and if they're sucked in at the end of this final smash, they get throw up with the cyclone. IF the opponent is above 50% damage then, they inedbitably die. It is hard to avoid this move, but it is still possible. I had to use something to fully copy the game, and I think this works great! :)
Edit: My Moveset Wins. Say Goodbye to the thoughts of Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass/cel-shaded/Young Link being a clone. :p

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but Wyvern, WW Link's style is completely different... yes, you can make a dozen links and in general have their moves be somewhat rehashed but all be different. With some of the weapons that WW Link uses, though, it takes advantage of his cartoon style to abuse; Skull Hammer being a prime example of a weapon you'd never see another Link use in the same, hasty manner (closest think is the Chainlink ball from TP, and that needs a good amount of wind up to use). Also the way WW Link dodges and strikes with his sword is completely different than any Link before him.

Beyond the fact he's the main character of the Zelda series, he's also ironically unique enough to hold his own. Heck, his Up+B doesn't even have to be the spin attack; it could be his Deku Leaf.
Most of that refers to his potential B attacks. I am fully aware that Young Link could easily have totally unique and awesome B attacks. Attempting to argue the contrary would be crazy and stupid, because it is obviously true. A-moves are what I am more worried about, because A-moves are by far the more important aspect of how a character performs in combat. There are only so many things you can do with a sword before it starts to get stale, and the list of sword-wielders is getting pretty long. I'm sure it's still possible to give him a distinctive moveset--you can give pretty much anything a reasonably distinctive moveset if you try hard enough--but I feel as though his potential is intrinsically lessened somewhat compared to someone with a completely unheard of method of offense.

It doesn't singlehandedly knock him out of the running or anything like that, but it's something worthy of consideration.

Just throwing this out there: Phantom Hourglass is an amazing game...
I'm about 3/4 of the way through and I kind of have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, the dungeons all seem really short and tiny, which takes some depth out of the game compared to, say, Wind Waker. But on the other hand, touch controls make every item ten times more awesomer (except the boomerang, which is a hundred times more awesomer).

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Hey children im back (Forgot to look for the new thread... doh!).

Anyways how did you make that WW Link model anyway 2nd Stamp? But i would always imagine him in his WW look.

Conker1

Smash Ace
I used to hate the idea of WW Link being in this game. However, Little Mac was recently deconfirmed and I needed to add someone to my list to take his spot. As long as WW Link is very unique, I support him.
....At least until I find a better character to support.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Look at a few of the movesets on the old WW Link thread, and on the first post (as well as mine above) Conker1. ;) You'll like it. :)

And too bad about Little Mac. He would have rocked. :(

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Hey guys what do you think his entrances would be? considering Link comes in on a wind (For some reason) what could WW Link do?

IMO he could come in on a cyclone just to upstage TP Links intro XD.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Well, the fact that Link arrives in a cyclone doesn't mean that Young Link couldn't hypothetically do the same. A lot of characters shared intros in Melee, and I'm sure some will in Brawl too (Luigi will probably come out of a pipe like Mario, and I'm sure most of the Pokemon will share a Pokeball entry).

Heh. If you wanted to be really optimistic, you could say that the idea for the cyclone came from the presence of an as-yet-unseen Young Link character and they just used it for both Links. I wouldn't recommend quite that level of optimism, though.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I imagine him (Wind Waker/cel-shaded/Phanto Hourglass/celda/Young/watever Link) coming down in a cyclone on the King of Red Lions, and then he jumps out (very quickly). Then the King of Red Lions is taken by the cyclone, and either both the cyclone and King of Red Lions magically disappear, or the King of Red Lions flys off with the cyclone.

Not likely, but it sounds cool IMO. Any thoughts=??? :)

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I believe I have all the gameplay videos, which one shows Link's intro? Apparently he comes in via wind, this would be the Gale Tornado that he gets from the Gale Boomerang. It would be much cooler to come in via the ominous checkerboard twilight effect, but considering Link doesn't have any of that power, it wouldn't make sense. The gust is the only special ability he has besides transforming into a wolf.

WW Link could easily sail in from the side on the King of Red Lions, or spring up from the ground in a tidal wave, or a waterfall from above, or come down from above the screen hanging on an anchor from Tetra's ship. Infinite different entrances he could have, so don't use TP Link's wind entrance as an argument.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
Some ideas of mine concerning Cartoon Link [which is what I like to call him, since he isnt "WW Link" anymore...he's "WW PH FS MC Link".]

Up+B: Rides the Deku Leaf to recover. Sends a blast of air that can push you back similar to Mario's FLUDD when standing on the ground.

Side+B: A chargable move that has CLink remove the Grappling Hook and start spinning it. The longer it spins, the harder it hits. If it is a clean hit, it can pull the enemy over and stun for a half second to several seconds, depending on percentage.

Down+B: Pulls out a Bombchu and throws it. The bombchu scurries along the ground and up any walls until it hits a solid item [Box, Barrel, etc.], a character, a stage obstacle, or several seconds.

B: Hero's Bow, slings an arrow and fires it. Hold B to increase power.

*No tether recovery.

As for an intro, he could fly in on a Deku Leaf.

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
i havent done these in a while, but this'll be like a small preview of wut i think i'll put for CS Link later:

Neutral Special Move: Skull Hammer

Hits: 1-3
Damage: 3-10%
Range: Short-Moderate
Knock-Back: Low-Moderate/Meteor Smash
Lag: Moderate

Summary:
Ground: The Skull Hammer works like the Gravity Hammer in Halo 3 (one of the most epic weapons) where instead of having lag before the attack, it's after. Getting hit by the hammer itself causes opponents go straight down, hence causing a Bounce if not a Edge-Guarded Spike (10%). However if not hit by the hammer, a shock-wave is produced causing a low knock-back 3 hit combo(3% each).
Air: The Hero of Winds does a front-flip still causing the Meteor Smash (10%) and a shock-wave that has a one, moderate knock-back hit (9%).

Up Special Move: Deku Leaf

Hits: 1-2
Damage: 5-9%
Range: Short-Long
Knock-Back: Moderate
Lag: Minor

Summary:
Ground: The Hero does a 360 degree spin with the Deku Leaf out (5%). In front on him, a "ball of wind" is produced but gets weaker as it gets farther (9...5%).
Air: The Hero goes 45 degrees up (6%) and can float down. Pressing the Special Move Button (SMB; GC=B, Side-Wiimote=2? etc.) causes the Hero to go straight up a little (1%). Opponents can get hit while floating (1%).

Neutral Grab: Grappling Hook (Tether Recovery)

Hits: 1-Infinite Grab
Damage: 2%/ 2% each hit
Range: Moderate
Knock-Back: None
Lag: Minor

Summary:
The Hero of Winds spins the Grappling Hook once (sword is sheathed) then throws it (2%). Once pulled in, the opponents are punched with the hand holding the rest of the rope (2%). If the grab is missed, the lag bringing the the hook back is low (unlike Link's).
Tether Recovery: Same range as Link's Clawshot, but doesn't automatically go for the edge. The Hero throws the hook straight forward (2%).

yup, this is the little preview of the Moveset i want to make for CS Link. sorry bout the other Special Moves: i cant decide what to put anymore for the <>B and vB. the name, as u can tell, i think will be Hero of Winds. my idea for the entrance could be CS Link jumping of out of a cyclone holding the Wind Waker then putting it away before the battle...i dunno these are my thoughts for right now, so they could change later

Fawriel

Smash Master
I guess I'll be the token Midna supporter. Can't have a Young Link thread without one, right?

The way I see it, Midna is the only real competition Young Link has. The only other choice I'd consider even remotely viable is Vaati, and he kind of presupposes that Young Link is already in the game anyway. The Young Link vs. Midna argument really comes down to an argument between series relevance and moveset diversity in general.

SERIES RELEVANCE
Young Link is the clear winner here. He's got a whole branch of the series dedicated to him, after all. However, Midna's disadvantage here might not be quite so bad as it seems. True, she was only in one game, but then again, so was Sheik. Also, even though Midna as an individual entity has only appeared once, the position of Link's sidekick as a whole is one that has been filled many times (Navi, Tatl, King of Red Lions, Ezlo, Midna, Ceila...am I missing any?). And of that list, Midna is really the only one combat-viable enough to represent them (and is also probably the most popular and the most active in her respective game). So, if you look at things from that angle, her series relevance isn't so bad (though it admittedly still pales in comparison to Young Link's).

MOVESET DIVERSITY
This is where Young Link has problems. Granted, it would not be difficult to give him unique specials, but you could have ten Links and give them all different specials if you dug deep enough. More importantly, though, Young Link's A-moves need to be distinct from both Adult Link and the rest of the swordsmen in the cast to make his inclusion really worthwhile. Midna, on the other hand, is a sorceress riding a feral beast, for Nayru's sake. Prodigious magic combined with a flurry of fangs and claws, all in the framework of a quadrupedal entity. I defy you to come up with even one thing more awesome or unique than that. (Okay, maybe two things...*glares at Pokemon Trainer.)

So, the clash between Young Link and Midna really comes down to what you look for in a character in general. As for me, whenever I think of any potential newcomer, the very first thing that runs through my mind is "What would this character's moveset add to the game?" Young Link as a playable could certainly still happen, and could even work reasonably well if they worked hard enough at it, but from my perspective, wolf-riding-Midna as a fighter would just way more interesting to play as than a (perhaps even heavily) modified version of another character, and I can't help but favor her.
So from what I gather, you're worried about young Link lacking interesting A moves and a unique style as compared to his counterpart as well as other swordsmen?
I thought I addressed that issue in the main post... did you read my own moveset?

The way I see it, he doesn't even come close to being a clone in terms of A moves. The keyword is "bouncy" here: Link is a tank with range and power. Young Link is a speedster.
But not only that, his cartoony nature and compact build allow him stunts that no other swordsman could possibly pull off. Imagine Ike rolling across the ground like a ball or Link performing several slashes in many directions all in one hop ( as I imagine his up-smash ).
Technically, the sword is pretty much one of the most potentially diverse weapons there is, and if you imagine a small, agile swordsman who does not use swords for every single move, it becomes really easy to come up with some original moves.
Oh, and he's not even similar to other speedsters. Fox jumps and KOs vertically, Falco combos vertically and is not fast horizontally, Falcon is so fast-moving on the ground but without any fast ground moves that he lacks any good approaches...
If anything, he's like a humanoid Pikachu.
I sometimes try to imagine imaginary characters' fighting styles by comparing them to Smash fighters, but I failed to find anyone who really acts like an agile child. I hope for Young Link to rectify that.

Oh, and as for his b moves, I want them to be the same as Link's, but with the difference that he can actually use them. Link is far too slow to be able to make good use of his projectiles except for the occasional mindgame and edgeguarding.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and as for his b moves, I want them to be the same as Link's, but with the difference that he can actually use them. Link is far too slow to be able to make good use of his projectiles except for the occasional mindgame and edgeguarding.
Okay, first of all, even if it's a little off-topic, I've gotta defend my main here. Link's projectiles are plenty fast enough for the jobs they are designed for (except the bow, which is kinda useless in a serious duel). I get the impression that you really don't play Adult Link much (given how rarely I play as Young Link and how much I suck when I do, I figure it's safe to assume that your relationship with Adult Link is similar). And I also get the impression that Young Link tends to use his boomerang (and maybe bow) as part of his close-range combo game (that's what the ridiculously-angled boomerang suggests, anyway). Adult Link does not work like that. See, you talk about mindgames like they are nothing. But let me tell you something about Link. The first thing you notice when playing Link is that even though his attacks are decent, most of them have a lot of lag afterwards. That means if you are predictable, you die. If the enemy controls the stage, you will not live long.

Link is all about controlling your opponent and forcing them to act on your terms. Your single most valuable tool for this is probably the boomerang. Assuming the enemy doesn't have a powerful projectile, Link NEVER has to approach them if he doesn't feel like it. You just torment them with the boomerang from afar until they're forced to come at you, and then you're ready for them with bombs, shield-grabs with the hookshot, whatever. Yeah, if someone's already in your face, the lag on the boomerang is going to get you killed. But if they're that close, what are you doing trying to throw a boomerang? That's what your other weapons are for.

The bombs are always wonderful, for what I assume is the same reason as for Young Link. All the lag is frontloaded, and then you can throw them instantly whenever you want. Though for Adult Link, the usefulness is magnified infinitely because he doesn't have many other fast attacks, and at high enough percents, a bomb will get the enemy in the air and give you a chance for some aerial attacks (which make up most of my kills against most opponents).

And the Spin Attack is, of course, Adult Link personified. Really powerful. Don't miss. Useful as long as you know when it's appropriate and when it isn't.

So, bow for long-range pestering (which never really comes up in a duel, so not so useful), boomerang for mid-range manipulation and damage building, bombs for unexpected close-range twists. All perfectly capable of doing the jobs they're designed for, and building up damage all the time until you can strike. And that's not even getting into the flow of his sword game, but that's a whole other issue.

The only problem with this strategy is that it is not so effective against fast-falling, fast-running enemies with projectiles of their own. And, well, the fact that Fox, Falco, and Sheik just so happen to be the three most overpowered and overused characters isn't Link's fault per se.

So from what I gather, you're worried about young Link lacking interesting A moves and a unique style as compared to his counterpart as well as other swordsmen?
I thought I addressed that issue in the main post... did you read my own moveset?
Actually, I DID miss your moveset...it wasn't in the list with the others (most of which tended to try to reinvent Link's and Marth's moves rather than make entirely new ones), and I must have glazed over the line the link was in. I went back to look at it, and admittedly, it is indeed pretty awesome. I'm still opposed to not giving Young Link all-new specials though. (Except for maybe the up-B, because, I mean, Hurricane Spin. Come on.) However, looking at the moveset, it seems to focus on exaggerated, high-knockback moves rather than the low-knockback combo slashes the current Young Link has, which is kind of the opposite of what I thought you were going for.

The way I see it, he doesn't even come close to being a clone in terms of A moves. The keyword is "bouncy" here: Link is a tank with range and power. Young Link is a speedster.
But not only that, his cartoony nature and compact build allow him stunts that no other swordsman could possibly pull off. Imagine Ike rolling across the ground like a ball or Link performing several slashes in many directions all in one hop ( as I imagine his up-smash ).
Technically, the sword is pretty much one of the most potentially diverse weapons there is, and if you imagine a small, agile swordsman who does not use swords for every single move, it becomes really easy to come up with some original moves.
Oh, and he's not even similar to other speedsters. Fox jumps and KOs vertically, Falco combos vertically and is not fast horizontally, Falcon is so fast-moving on the ground but without any fast ground moves that he lacks any good approaches...
If anything, he's like a humanoid Pikachu.
I sometimes try to imagine imaginary characters' fighting styles by comparing them to Smash fighters, but I failed to find anyone who really acts like an agile child. I hope for Young Link to rectify that.
Swords are diverse in the real world because you can do a lot more with them than you can with most other weapon types. However, in Smash, they become more of a fixed element. A solid, linear piece of iron which is always there and always has to be accounted for. Conversely, the variety in unarmed combat is astronomical. You couldn't give Kirby and Donkey Kong clone movesets if you tried, because their builds are just so different. The idea of wolf-riding-Midna as a non-humanoid-shaped character really appeals to me partially for this reason. She's inherently unique and interesting before you even start trying to get creative, and once you do, things can only get better. It's the reason I tend to find the Pokemon Trainer more interesting than Ike, and it's the reason I tend to find Midna more appealing than Young Link.

I guess another way to put it would be this: any small, quick, cartoony character could, in theory, behave the way you want Young Link to behave (more or less, anyway). However, Midna is the only potential newcomer I can think of which consists of two drastically different entities combined into a singular character, and thus she is the only one who can take advantage of the potential that that sort of arrangement provides. Similarly, I'd rather see Krystal in the game than Wolf (if they were hypothetically competing with one another) partly because Krystal is the only Nintendo character out there who could fight with a battlestaff (as far as I know, anyway). Sure, you could give a moveset to Wolf, but you could have given that moveset to anybody, because there is nothing special about Wolf. Krystal is the only one who has the option of having a staff-based moveset, therefore not including Krystal entails a greater loss of potential than not including Wolf. Young Link has more potential than Wolf does in his respective matchup, of course, but the point remains valid.

And for the record, Diddy Kong definitely strikes me as having an "agile child" vibe from what little I've seen of him. Cartwheels and crazy jumping attacks and all that. Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean he'd fight exactly the same way as Young Link, but it's something to keep in mind from a stylistic point of view, and it makes him a potential outlet for the general playstyle that you're suggesting.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say that Young Link isn't a viable character option, because he is. I just tend to feel like the alternative might add more to Brawl's gameplay and diversity than he would.

Fawriel

Smash Master
................ your stamina never ceases to impress me, Wyvern.
My replies will feel horribly half-***** now.

1. I probably did Link injustice for the sake of getting my point across. Though the point stands that Link is so slow that he'll most likely end up having any faster character in his face within seconds, in which case he has to resort to grabs or a shuffled nair or so... but who am I kidding, I'm not an expert on higher levels of play at all.
The difference between the two becomes quite obvious when watching combo videos, though.

2. Thanks for the compliment. And... err... ... I might have lost track of which moves I gave what knockback. Actually, you should just read the whole moveset as purely conceptional. And I think when I called knockback "high", I meant it relative to the rest of the moveset... though I can never be too sure with myself... *ponders*

3. First off, I completely agree about the originality and stuff. I really like the idea of Midna on Wolf Link, too.

As for swords... I'm not sure about that. Take, for example, a fencer. A fencer would move completely differently from a slashy type. Or compare Sword Kirby with Ike... their build is completely differently and their movesets will have to be just as different as Kirby relates to Donkey Kong in unarmed combat.
Imagine someone with two swords.
Imagine someone who can switch between unarmed combat, sword and a lance...

In a way, a sword could be used exactly the way Krystal could use her staff. It's all just a question of imagination.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
................ your stamina never ceases to impress me, Wyvern.
My replies will feel horribly half-***** now.
Heh. What can I say? I really like thinking and writing. Probably 'cause I'm really bad at everything else.

1. I probably did Link injustice for the sake of getting my point across. Though the point stands that Link is so slow that he'll most likely end up having any faster character in his face within seconds, in which case he has to resort to grabs or a shuffled nair or so... but who am I kidding, I'm not an expert on higher levels of play at all.
The difference between the two becomes quite obvious when watching combo videos, though.
The stun from a boomerang hit gives you enough time to pull out the bomb, then the explosion buys you time to knock the enemy away, and then hey, it's boomerang time again! You always have to think in the long-term with Link, because he doesn't have too many direct combos for you to push (aside from maybe a few aerial combos which require that the enemy already has some damage on them). He does tend to have trouble with speedsters though, especially fastfallers. Hopefully those kinds of characters will be less broken in general when Brawl comes around...

I really don't know too much about Young Link as a character, I guess. I'm always baffled when I try to play him, because none of my attacks ever seem to really GET me anywhere, especially when I'm comparing him against the likes of Link and Ganondorf.

2. Thanks for the compliment. And... err... ... I might have lost track of which moves I gave what knockback. Actually, you should just read the whole moveset as purely conceptional. And I think when I called knockback "high", I meant it relative to the rest of the moveset... though I can never be too sure with myself... *ponders*
It's not that you specifically mentioned high knockback so much as it seems implicit in the types of moves you are suggesting. I mean, if Young Link is going to do a super-long-range jump slash, having it NOT have a ton of knockback would almost look ridiculous.

3. First off, I completely agree about the originality and stuff. I really like the idea of Midna on Wolf Link, too.

As for swords... I'm not sure about that. Take, for example, a fencer. A fencer would move completely differently from a slashy type. Or compare Sword Kirby with Ike... their build is completely differently and their movesets will have to be just as different as Kirby relates to Donkey Kong in unarmed combat.
Imagine someone with two swords.
Imagine someone who can switch between unarmed combat, sword and a lance...

In a way, a sword could be used exactly the way Krystal could use her staff. It's all just a question of imagination.
To be perfectly honest, part of me knows that swords have more potential than I give them credit for. I've been an avid Lyn supporter in the past, after all, and I could see a fencer-type character working. I think that seeing Marth in Melee just totally disillusioned me with the future of swordsmanship in Smash. He had ONE other sword-wielder to compete with, and yet every single move he has is the same d*mn vertical crescent slash over and over. Part of me just can't help but think "if that's the best they come up with for the second swordsman, who knows how bad the FIFTH one is going to be". And it makes me worry especially about Fire Emblem in particular, because most of the lords are just the same basic guy over and over again with the exception of the FE7 (and maybe 8) lords, which nobody seems to consider popular enough. It's looking like they did a somewhat better job with Ike, at least.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
Marth is a fencer type character really. I've never played FE, but in melee that was more than less his style of play. Fast, using the feared tip, dancy. If Ike and Marth can have completely different MS and all they have are swords, then Link and YLink can too considering they have that and A TON MORE!

Fawriel, JKnight1: Nice MS. I like the concepts of the Deku Leaf and Skull Hammer. Those are the main two weapons and reasons I want (and can't wait) to play as YLink. And the standard attacks are good too.

Being a Links (both) user (along with every character) I find their projectiles are definitely 1 and 2 in the game. The Links can hang back and rack up damage from a distance. The differences show more so when fighting a fast character, I'll use Falco then Marth as an example. Top tier and not the best match-ups. Marth isn't so bad, but still.

Link is penetrable by the SHFFlasers but he can letterally render them ineffective as well as the pillar when used correctly. In the only MLG tourney I ever entered, I fought a Falco (that was favored in tourney) with Link in the semi-final round in FD. Naturally the Falco would assume that Link would SH to pull out a bomb right off the GO, but instead I full double jumped across the stage to him pulling out a bomb and throwing it straight up. I landed with slight distance and through the boomerang. He hopped over, WLed shined me but hit the bomb on the jump cancled shine. From there, I stocked him without being hit again. Keeping bombs in the air when needed, disabling the pillar and the boomerang behind him disabling laser along with keeping my distance with good spacing and high rising % (dsmash, utilt, uair, dashA, bomb, uair) combos. It was a quick battle and he only stocked me twice in a four stock match.
I couldn't have done "that" with YLinks projectiles and style.
In a match-up, (after a tourney), I used YLink in a set against one of the Marth players. YLink can't easily keep Marth at great distances but his great angeled, stunny and % elevating projectiles can keep him at your mercy. For the most part, Marth can knock away most of them but the bombs. At that distance though, Marth (even with his speed) doesn't have time to knock your arrow or boomerang away (especially shooting arrows while falling towards him) and follow up by hitting you. This leaves him open to attack and gives you room inside the sword for his "low knock back" (Fawriel hehe) % racking combos. We had about 10 rounds of that cause he was pissed off. He beat me once in total then gave up after about three more losses and a four stocking, meh.
I couldn't have done "that" with ALinks projectiles and style.

That being said,
I want the "new" YLink to play out similarly to the melee YLink, but new specials may either...
1. Disable his semi-ranged advantages and enable great finishers.
or
2. Replace his annoying projectiles with MORE annoying ones, hah hah!

Either way,
CSLink FTW

also, "bouncy" rules :laugh:

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Young Link was my 2nd most played right after Falco. I really hope he returns and in this form

for his final smash...

Song of the Winds(or w/e the one in WW was that changed the wind direction)-Pulls out the WindWaker and plays the song. Tilt the control stick in any direction to change the wind. use it to slam enemies into the stage or find various other ways to use it creatively.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
My moveset for WW Link:

B: Arrow Bow or Boomerang - They could do something different so it's not like Normal Link

Up+B: Deku Leaf - On the ground: Blasts a wind to push enemy away
On the Air: Uses as parachute to recover

Down+B: Skull Hammer - Just slams enemy with the big hammer

Side+B: Crazy Spin Attack - Chargeable. Link spins around the stage doing his Spin Attack

Final Smash - 1. He could ride his boat and shoot canons at the enemy
2. Or do his Song of Winds, blasts people away

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
I think Young Link's moveset should be:

B: Fire Rod
Up B: Deku Leaf
Side B: Skull Hammer
Down B: Gust Jar

Top Bottom