• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Takamaru in Brawl Thread! *ADDED MORE MATERIAL*

courte

Smash Lord
anyone who ever makes a reply about too many swordusers is automatically also saying "Way to many unarmed combatants"

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I think Takamura would be great in brawl, and he obviously has a lot of support and ranked high on the poll. Great moveset btw.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Seems like a very cool character, but my swordsman vote goes to Isaac.
I would bet that this guy has an equal chance, though. He showed up on Sakurai's list after all.
They both can be in it. Like others have said theres no special limit on sword fighters.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Okay, a BIG Japan-only was defeated (Stafy), I think we're pretty much in the clear (I SERIOUSLY don't consider Sukapon a threat now). Takamaru... HOLD ON! You can make it to the roster bro!

courte

Smash Lord
i feel so... i pray for our samurai--who would be the only one wtf!!-i have a confession to make i don't expect to see roy and marth in brawl, so i'd rather not know anything and blind myself

im feeling like a sword in my stomach for takamaru

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Okay, a BIG Japan-only was defeated (Stafy), I think we're pretty much in the clear (I SERIOUSLY don't consider Sukapon a threat now). Takamaru... HOLD ON! You can make it to the roster bro!
I pretty much agree, except for Sukapon...

But yeah, with Stafy's deconfirmation (may he rest in peace), Takamaru has a better chance!

Hmm.

I'd much rather see the fire attack be a separate move, so that the B moves can be separate from sword moves as much as possible.

And what about a "shuriken wave" - that is, when Takamaru throws four shurikens at once. But instead, for a Final Smash, he would send many shurikens in all directions.

Zorya

Smash Ace
Takamaru's intro SSE plot

Takamaru is sitting in his hut, enjoying the solitude and sipping on a freshly brewed cup of tea. All of a sudden, he feels the earth shake beneath him. He rushes outside to a tall, muscular figure wearing a dark cloak.

After a brief stardown between Takamaru and the cloaked figure, the figure rushes towards Takamaru which prompts him to unsheath his katana (playable fight). After the fierce duel has ended, 18 primids arrive and surround Takamaru. Takamaru, tired from his duel with the cloaked figure, is physically unable to defend himself any further.

As soon as he realizes that his seemingly inevitable death is staring him in the face, Pikachu jumps out of nowhere and releases a great thundershock onto the Primids, killing them instantly. As soon as the cloaked figure realized that he was now outnumbered, he faded into the Japanese forests surrounding Takamaru's home.

As Takamaru glanced at the yellow mouse, he was met with a smile. They both give a quick nod to each other before entering the daunting forest ahead of them.... (then you go through the forest as either Takamaru or Pikachu, chasing after that figure)

I know, I know...

T-major

Smash Champion
He rushes outside to a tall, muscular figure wearing a dark cloak.
I smell Ganondorf! :D

hey, what do you guys think Takamaru's personality should be like? they pretty much have free creative rights when it comes to his personality. I was thinking something like...

always willing to take up a challenge in order to have fun (he likes gambling as a result), and to further hone his samurai skills; but he often rushes into things without thinking them through fully, which sometimes causes problems for him and others. he always tries to fix any problems he causes, and is usually reluctant to ask for help; he finds that it's his responsibility to fix these problems on his own, and often gets angry when people help him against his will. he also enjoys the company of women as apposed to men (by this, I mean as friends. not in a romantic way), because he finds them to be more laid back and fun loving then the men. he usually only has sexual relations ships with women if he likes their personality, but he also thinks that "nice breasts are always a plus..."

Zorya

Smash Ace
^^I like the part of him being a playa, but I always thought of him as the cool, collected, laidback dude..

T-major

Smash Champion
^^I like the part of him being a playa, but I always thought of him as the cool, collected, laidback dude..
thats how I see him too, but more in a comidic kind of way. for example...

*Takamaru falls out of a tree*

Girl: "ahh! are you ok!?"

Takamaru: "oh yeah! I'm..." *dusts off pants* "I'm fine, yeah..."

Girl: "but... your head.. it's bleed~"

Takamaru: "no no, I'm good... just a scrach... but... just in case, would you mind walking home with me?"

Girl: "tee hee! well, alright!"

Takamaru: "I'm Takamaru, by the way" *sexy grin*

I absolutely cannot see Takamaru resembling that. I doubt Sakurai would up and change Takamaru, knowing full well that it may be undesirable for Takamaru's creator.

T-major

Smash Champion
I absolutely cannot see Takamaru resembling that. I doubt Sakurai would up and change Takamaru, knowing full well that it may be undesirable for Takamaru's creator.
why not? what do you see his personality being like?

and what do you mean by "Sakurai won't change Takamaru"? that makes no sense. your telling me that Sakurai is just going to leave Takamaru as a Samurai with no personality or emotions, like he was in his game? Sakurai WILL give Takamaru a personality if/when he gets in Brawl; thats a fact. he did it with Pit, and Ice Climbers; I don't see how Takamaru should be any different...

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I agree with T-major. To make Takamaru more appealing to a broader audience, Sakurai really has to give Takamaru some personality, not to mention a much-needed visual overhaul.

1. He wouldn't give him such a random personality for the sole reason that he would want to consult his creator first, whom I doubt would want him to be some generic Miroku clone. Link doesn't have a very big personality at all, and that doesn't seem to be a problem.

2. Oh man, that's even worse. Hell, why do they need to give him a visual overhaul? It's not like they decided to make Mr. G&W a hyper-realistic [flat] guy. Just because Pit got a realistic makeover doesn't mean Takamaru will have to be "overhauled".

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I would like this character in Brawl even though I don't know him. He would be a good retro character like Pit, and Sakurai said he likes to have a few Retro characters. Although I don't think he should be a strong, slow fighter with ranged attacks. That is Ike's job (although they should improve Ike's pre-lag attack speed, he is a bit too slow). Takamaru should be more like a fast sword character with weak attack, I think because a Katana swings faster than a very heavy sword.

T-major

Smash Champion
1. He wouldn't give him such a random personality for the sole reason that he would want to consult his creator first, whom I doubt would want him to be some generic Miroku clone. Link doesn't have a very big personality at all, and that doesn't seem to be a problem.
fist off, how do you know Sakurai would consult his creator first? do you even know who Takamaru's creator is? no? me neither. he could be dead for all we know; Takamaru could have been created by more then one person; who were working together to come up with a character... I'm sure Sakurai didn't consult Pit or Ice Climbers creators...

second, thats not a random personality... what? do you think I just pulled that out of a hat? no. it's something that I actually put thought into. I went back and changed things while I was writing it, and tired to make it original, and something thats appealing to people. also, seeing as Takamaru doesn't HAVE a personality to begin with, that would logicaly mean that ANY personality given to him would be random.

by Miroku, I assume you mean that guy from Inuyasha. well guess what, the personality I came up with... NOTHING LIKE HIM. Miroku is a womanizer who just wants sex, and is incredibly open when it comes to asking for it. Takamaru enjoys being with women, as friends (non romantic context), because they're generally more fun loving and relaxed compared to the men of his time (who are more focused on things like work). he only has romantic relationships with women who he finds has an attractive personality, but like all men, he would prefer a girl who's also good looking to boot.

Hell, why do they need to give him a visual overhaul?
because it would look cool...

It's not like they decided to make Mr. G&W a hyper-realistic [flat] guy.
thats the stupidest comparison I've ever heard... Game&Watch didn't have a redesign, because he CAN'T! he's SUPPOSED to be flat with no detail. it's part of his concept!

Just because Pit got a realistic makeover doesn't mean Takamaru will have to be "overhauled".
by "overhaul", I'm pretty sure most of us mean "extreme grapical update" his design probably won't change, because frankly, it's fine the way it is. but that fact that he will have A LOT more detail in Brawl mean that he will probably look like he got a redesign.

Limit

Smash Apprentice
If you want a Japanese swordfighter...why not Marth?

Am I missing something?

fist off, how do you know Sakurai would consult his creator first? do you even know who Takamaru's creator is? no? me neither. he could be dead for all we know; Takamaru could have been created by more then one person; who were working together to come up with a character... I'm sure Sakurai didn't consult Pit or Ice Climbers creators...

second, thats not a random personality... what? do you think I just pulled that out of a hat? no. it's something that I actually put thought into. I went back and changed things while I was writing it, and tired to make it original, and something thats appealing to people. also, seeing as Takamaru doesn't HAVE a personality to begin with, that would logicaly mean that ANY personality given to him would be random.

by Miroku, I assume you mean that guy from Inuyasha. well guess what, the personality I came up with... NOTHING LIKE HIM. Miroku is a womanizer who just wants sex, and is incredibly open when it comes to asking for it. Takamaru enjoys being with women, as friends (non romantic context), because they're generally more fun loving and relaxed compared to the men of his time (who are more focused on things like work). he only has romantic relationships with women who he finds has an attractive personality, but like all men, he would prefer a girl who's also good looking to boot.

because it would look cool...

thats the stupidest comparison I've ever heard... Game&Watch didn't have a redesign, because he CAN'T! he's SUPPOSED to be flat with no detail. it's part of his concept!

by "overhaul", I'm pretty sure most of us mean "extreme grapical update" his design probably won't change, because frankly, it's fine the way it is. but that fact that he will have A LOT more detail in Brawl mean that he will probably look like he got a redesign.
To make such an addition to his personality needs to have the creator consulted. IC and Pit didn't have major personality additions, so the creator probably wasn't consulted.

The personality of Takamaru screams "looking for a woman for some "fun"" - if you hadn't of included the "sexy grin", it wouldn't have seemed so much that way.

And I feel that him being a silent protoganist is part of his concept.

The art pretty much shows exactly how he should be done (albeit in 3D).

T-major

Smash Champion

Am I missing something?
Marth and Takamaru are completely different characters, from completely different games, with completely different weapons and abilities.... your missing a lot.... a LOT...

I hate when people like you seem to think that just because two characters are both Japan only, that they're instantly in competition with each other...

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord

Am I missing something?
You're missing the fact that Marth isn't japanese in the slightest. The origins of his design clearly come from a western medieval influence.

T-major

Smash Champion
The personality of Takamaru screams "looking for a woman for some "fun"" - if you hadn't of included the "sexy grin", it wouldn't have seemed so much that way.
your looking at it wrong then, because thats not how he is... yes, he does flirt; he flirts with girls he finds attractive. so do most men, that doesn't mean that every man that flirts with women is just looking for some "fun". like I said, he only has romantic relationships with women that have good personalities. he would flirt, get to know them better, and if he doesn't like them, he wouldn't have "fun" with them.

also, I thought of something just now that supports the above theory a bit. in Nazo no Murasame Jo (Takamaru's game) you can save women that have been captured. making Takamaru a ladies man would be a good reference to that; I mean, theres a good chance that he would meet a lot of women on his journey...

And I feel that him being a silent protoganist is part of his concept.
he didn't talk in his game because he didn't need to. there was no text in that game other then the title screen. using the same logic, everyone in his game would be silent as well, because theres no talking in that game. just because you don't SEE (hear) him talk, doesn't mean he can't/shouldn't. if I recall, Pit doesn't talk in his game either, but he talks in Brawl.

T-major

Smash Champion
You'll see him smile every once in a while or show emotion, but that's it.
not even close... Link is a courageous person, who's willing to help who ever needs it, even if it means taking dangerous risks. he also has a caring and gentle nature, which is probably why animals seem to naturally like him... seriously, play Twilight Princess, and all this stuff is evident...

Okay, if you mean "Takamaru should be more than a lifeless shell with a face", I agree. But we do not need to give him some brand new personality.

Top Bottom