• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Wario

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Welcome to the official Smashboards Standard Custom Set project. In brief, this project is designed to be a logistical solution to using custom movesets in tournaments by filling many of the in-game slots with the most popular and powerful sets for each character so they can be quickly selected without further 3ds import. This will allow tournaments with customizations on to save large amounts of time throughout the event. More details about the project's ideas and mission can be found here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/project-proposal-we-can-make-custom-moves-fast-easy-and-legal.379555/

Our goal here is to find out what the most popular and powerful sets are for your particular character the best way we know how: asking you the mains of this character. To be clear, we're not talking about disallowing any particular custom sets or even imposing any rules in general; we're talking about making sure the popular and powerful options are simply accessible quickly in a tournament environment as our sole mission. We need up to three critical sets that represent the best options your character has that have wide general utility and from there to fill up to slot 6 with supplemental movesets that will cover less mainstream, more match-up specific, or even teams sets. Slots 7 and 8 are reserved for 2222 and 3333 to allow all moves to be explored more easily in the new metagame, and slots 9 and 10 are left open for 3ds import of non-standard sets.

Please list all movesets in the order NSUD, that is neutral special, side special, up special, and down special. This four digit code will be the naming convention so players can quickly and easily identify which moveset is which.

I know for many characters the default moveset, 1111, is a powerful and useful option. However, it should not be included; the game allows default to be picked regardless of what custom options are prepared so including it does not add any additional options to players.

I further know that some characters may find six slots a large number to fill. Others may find six very limiting. Do your best to pick out the overall six most likely to be picked even if some good stuff has to be left on the table or if some more experimental sets have to be included to fill out six. Every set included is time saved in tournament when that set would be picked, and we want to make the best use we can of these slots.

I would ask that everyone please be respectful of each other's opinions; this game is young, and the metagame is still very much forming so we are likely to each perceive it differently. This project will be revisited throughout the game's lifespan and revised to properly include the most mainstream movesets at the time. What we want for now is what will be commonly selected for now, and don't worry, other options are not being discriminated against as those last two slots are left open for 3ds transfer for a reason. This first version of this project will be refined throughout the rest of the year, but I hope to have a very rough draft up and usable by December 5 so TOs who wish to use the results of this project will have something to plug in for that weekend's worth of events. Thank you for your cooperation in this project, and we look forward to making sure the most useful options are quickly available for your character under this system.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Really, no one yet?

I'm not a Wario main, but I did unlock all his moves the other day and decided to play around with them. The best combo by far seems to be 2132:

-Inhaling Chomp: suck them in and do the same amount of damage as a regular chomp. Better than the original in every way and even has range
-Standard Bike: The downside of the other two options don't seem appealing - you're either slow or it breaks apart easily.
-Corkscrew Leap: The game mentions that this move takes a bit longer to come out (like you have to charge it), but I barely noticed it at all. A significantly better recovery for Wario.
-Rose Scented Waft: Seems to be the same as a regular fart, but additionally puts a flower on their head to do extra damage.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
-Inhaling Chomp: suck them in and do the same amount of damage as a regular chomp. Better than the original in every way and even has range
Inhaling chomp starts up slow and has a lot of end lag. It's OK, but I feel like the sheer utility of the original Chomp is just too good to get rid of.
-Standard Bike: The downside of the other two options don't seem appealing - you're either slow or it breaks apart easily.
Heavy Bike has a burrowing effect, even after you jump off it. This can give Wario lots of potential follow ups because of it. That, and the increased health means the bike throwing is more potent. (When it already is great with the standard bike) Only downside is the worse recovery with it, which is why I personally stick with the standard.
--Rose Scented Waft: Seems to be the same as a regular fart, but additionally puts a flower on their head to do extra damage.
Not at all. It loses the kill power of the standard waft, which is what makes the move so good. It hardly kills as early as standard waft and the flower effect seems hardly worth it. Turbo waft is muuuuch better than flower waft, because it actually makes Wario's edgeguarding capabilities a LOT scarier so it compensates the loss of power. (Even though turbo Waft still kills early off stage) Wario doesn't really benefit much from the flower either because his damage output is already pretty great.

Last edited:

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
Heavy Bike has a burrowing effect, even after you jump off it. This can give Wario lots of potential follow ups because of it. That, and the increased health means the bike throwing is more potent. (When it already is great with the standard bike) Only downside is the worse recovery with it, which is why I personally stick with the standard.
I feel like Heavy Bike's recovery loss would be plenty offset if you're running Corkscrew Leap and/or Turbo Waft. I also remember someone saying something about being able to launch forward a bit by Chomping off the Heavy Bike, but I'm not too sure what that deal is.
Then with Heavy Bike, I feel standard Waft would be best to deliver that beautiful "Oh Crap" moment of a flashing Wario heading towards a helpless buried opponent.

So my vote—as only a Wario semi-main, mind—is 1331.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There you go.

I guess I can elaborate. I did a bunch of testing this morning and found a good bit of information.

Normal Neutral-B was super-buffed since Brawl--Less endlag, more range, more knockback, and the ability to continue moving forward in mid-air for a bit on start-up. Hard to beat based on its sheer versatility; even though the next option increases its range, I think the safety it provides in low endlag is a slightly better advantage than the added range.

Suction Neutral-B is pretty good, as the windbox is active as soon as the normal grab-box would be. Most people will mash out of the regular Chomp one or two hits in, so the damage lost is a largely negligible in most cases, and the extra range provided is substantial. That said, it becomes much more vulnerable to "roll behind Wario" and doesn't have the flexibility that normal Neutral-B does in getting to close your mouth early. More testing is required, but I could see its uses varying by playstyle/matchup. Worth your time, most likely.

Garlic Neutral-B seems pretty awful outside of ledgeguarding, where it might very well shut down some characters' options on the ledge, period. Wario already has a lot of options on the ledge, though, and unless it is incredibly crippling to a specific opponent, I don't think it's worth losing your aerial command grab over.

Normal Forward-B is faster than it was in Brawl; it is harder to put on the stage, mostly requiring an edge and putting you offstage afteward, which is kind of risky to do. Recovery is less important with the knockback momentum glitch, but it's a nice balance between traditional recovery and offensive potential. Pales in comparison to the Heavy bike, but if you're not confident in the aforementioned glitch, this isn't a bad option.

Fast Forward-B increases your burst range for when people try to punish your landings or roll away in comparison to the other bikes, but the other bikes do well enough at that, IMO. The low bike HP means that throwing it around is much less potent (and I think that bike throwing will become an important part of his gameplay in Smash 4), and even though it's great for recovery, the knockback momentum glitch he has pretty much assures that Wario will never have to worry about recovery, so it's a moot point. The worst of the three, though it's still a good move, regardless; if anything, having less than 5 HP is great for building Waft by eating bike parts. Ideal for Smash Run, but not much else, I feel.

Heavy Forward-B is my personal favorite--Any bike hit resulting from the bike riding along the ground puts the opponent in the ground like the Pitfall item. I think the time spent grounded is relative to how much damage they've taken, so you can use it to set up follow-ups reasonably well. The shorter jump off the bike also speeds up your ability to follow up. The bike has loads of HP (seems to be about 40%, compare that to the normal bike's ~20%) and doesn't slide far if you jump off while on-stage, meaning you don't need a ledge or convenient platform to quickly get it lying around. A wheelie gives you a short burst of speed and will still ground people, even if it's just because the front tire hits someone on a platform! It is less useful for recovery (but still useful if you jump off immediately), but that, again, should be a moot point since Wario players need to use and abuse the knockback momentum glitch to recover. Honestly, I think this one is a no-brainer, though the regular Forward-B is still a great move in and of itself.

Normal Up-B was buffed since Brawl--A lot more range and fair knockback make it stand out as a good recovery option. Solid out-of-shield in a pinch, as well. No invincibility, and it's not especially fast, but it's a no-frills, good recovery move.

Flexible Up-B decreases the range and damage (9% instead of 13% because it gets fewer hits) a fair amount, but the real draw would be the fact that it becomes a more interesting out-of-shield option. Someone trying to space moves on your shield horizontally might get the LARIATOOOOO, and that's cool. If you're trying to recover vertically, always-always-always try to go straight upward, or close to, as you lose a -lot- of height going diagonally. This might be a matchup-specific one, but I kind of like it and encourage people to experiment with it.

Recovery Up-B is awful; regular Up-B is already pretty great for recovery, and losing the ability to steer it at all as well as the ability to hit people with it makes it very predictable and punishable. Never, ever use this move.

Normal Down-B takes almost two minutes to charge but has obscene knockback, dealing 28% when full and often killing at ~50% before the hit. Great way to decisively take a stock, no real drawbacks, just a great ace-in-the-hole.

Flower Down-B has a longer charge time than Turbo Down-B and only adds a bit of extra damage in comparison to normal Down-B through the Flower status in exchange for a lot of knockback. The worst of both worlds, and it only exists as a "your **** don't stink" joke as far as I can tell; stay away from it.

Copy/pasting my Turbo Down-B text: Turbo Waft does 19% at full while normal Waft does 28%, which is also not that significant a difference in terms of damage (where the latter used to do 42% in Brawl), but 30 seconds compared to ~1:51 definitely is. If you're landing Wafts in neutral often, you're either a mind reader or your opponent isn't that great at fighting Wario; it's all about getting them while they're vulnerable. Sure, you don't have to worry about "wasting Waft time" holding onto a full charge as much with the normal variant, but you don't feel the pressure of it just going to waste if you miss, either. Utility trumps raw power, I think, especially when it's still pretty powerful for how flexible it is.

tl;dr--There are two interesting choices within Neutral-B, Up-B, and Down-B. My personal favorite right now is Normal Neutral-B, Heavy Forward-B, Normal Up-B, and Turbo Down-B (1313).

Last edited:

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Well hey, one isn't a bad number to get from reddit:

I guess I'm a little late....sorry. Your guesswork is great, although maybe include quick waft in one of the sets, and rose scented in another? Quick waft is a real gameplay changer, having to throw those out as quick as possible to get another one charging, and putting pressure on opponent on when the waft will be implemented. Rose scented has much less utility, but if landed in a critical moment would be devastating. (And really hype!) Sorry I was late....(quick edit, get rid of 1331, 1121 for normal bike and widescrew should be in at least one of the sets.)
1 upvote

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Let's look at Wario's customs that I feel have any value…

Inhaling Chomp loses number of bites and bigger endlag for a suction range active as soon as you can grab. Definitely one to look at, but I feel that it isn't as practical as the original.

Speeding Bike loses some HP and can't turn, but is faster. Better for recovery, ditching it onto people, and eating the bike parts, but worse for absorbing hits and throwing it.

Burying Bike gains HP and a bury effect even after you ditch but is slow. Great for setups, throwing, and absorbing hits, but craptastic for recovery.

Widescrew gives you better angles for less vertical distance. I feel it pales to the original for recovery, but useful maybe for OoS since it's more controllable and quick.

Quick Waft is for when you want constant threat of fart, but without the KO power waft is known for. However, this frees it up for recovery (which could help Side3) and damage racking since it charges way quicker.

Garlic Breath, Corkscrew Leap, and Rose Waft suck, tbh.

Some sets I'd think would work are:
1313 (Bury bike with quick waft for recovery help)
1211 (just a fast bike)
1121 (faster recovery/oos)
2211 (inhale could help pressure after fastbike is ditched)
1323 (burybike with even more recovery)
1221 (fastbike with oos)

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully I'm not late to the party, but the Burying Bike still works enough for recoveries, as you still basically get a third jump. You can still recover from below the bottom blast line with it, your spare double jump, and the default Corkscrew. I'd say it's more useful at high percentages (around 80%+), as while the default Bike is good for pressuring and rushing down, it's much less potent in the higher percentages whereas the Burying Bike could potentially set up a Side Smash KO if it hits at around 90%.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The Rose Scented Waft is actually worth consideration now that it's been discovered that the hitbox on the fart portion of the move is more then twice as large as the other waft variants (Big enough to hit people standing above Wario on one of the Battlefield platforms).

While it's not very powerful, it does have the ability to outrange a ton of attacks, which is something Wario normally struggles with and it also charges twice as fast as the default waft.

Last edited:

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
After some experimentation, I'm liking Corkscrew Leap more and Widescrew less. I'm having a hard time justifying the horizontal reach/flexibility when you can get so much height. Corkscrew Leap is helpful with Bury Bike if you don't wanna waste your fart.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I think 1112 should be a standard set.

The Rose Scented Waft lets you punish from such a silly distance that people can't afford to be whiffing anything near you if they're at a percentage where it can KO, plus it's extremely easy to edgeguard with it.

It's good for match-ups against slippery characters like Sonic, Sheik, and Diddy who don't have any attacks they really have to commit to.

Last edited:

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
I've noticed that @ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder has been giving helpful opinions in the Standard Custom Moves thread, and he's changed my mind on a few things. It seems that Rose Waft's fast charge, early armor, great damage, and ludicrous range makes both Corkscrew Leap and Quick Waft obsolete. He has also noted how Widescrew is a practical OoS/KO move. Bury Bike is strictly niche, although he has noted that it can be more practical in doubles, which I feel would sync well with Rose Waft since Bury Bike greatly compromises recovery.

- Chomp (n1): The most practical grab that does good damage.
- Inhale Chomp (n2): Slower, longer ranged, weaker. I can see this in niche matchup sets.
- Garlic Breath (n3): No. Don't use this.
- Speed Bike (s2): Gives up power and some flexibility, but it helps his approach and recovery so much. The most useful, imo.
- Bury Bike (s2): More HP isn't needed, but it hits really hard and buries. Use Rose Waft to help its bad recovery. Niche use in matchups/doubles.
- Bike (s1): More HP, more flexibility, but generally doesn't help his approach, his main weakness. Strictly matchup.
- Widescrew (u2): Powerful/quick OoS/KO tool that gives up a little recovery, but he has no issue recovering.
- Corkscrew (u1): More useful for recovery, I guess. Niche.
- Corkscrew Leap (u3): Strictly recovery. Made obsolete by Rose Waft.
- Waft (d1): Surprise KO tool or emergency recovery. Helps his KOing trouble.
- Rose Waft (d2): Charges really quick, is fast, armored, and has crazy reach for heavy damage. A good punish/camp tool that also can be used much more often.
- Quick Waft (d3): Made obsolete by Rose Waft.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say that the Quick Waft is entirely obsolete.

It actually has higher KO power then the Rose Scented Waft, and the fully charged version comes out as fast the half waft, while still retaining super armor on the early frames, making it difficult to stop in close quarters.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
We're aware. The guy that made that thread also made this thread.
I know, I was linking it in case anyone who contributed to this thread and didn't know that the system had already been launched wanted to see the result.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It's clear to me that Wario's sets need some serious work before we lock in for EVO! His current sets in the project are:

Not including any Rose-Scented Waft sets is obviously the biggest flaw that will be addressed (deep down, I think we're all happy for a move with the name 'Rose-Scented Waft' to be viable); I think there's a lot of room in general to refine Wario's sets honestly. We have until mid-March (let's say March 17) to lock in 10 sets that will be the sets used at EVO so this is a good opportunity to step back and improve on the characters who currently might not have gotten the best sets.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm a fan of the 1213 set lately.

Speeding Bike into Quick Waft can get kills surprisingly early, and using the standard waft for that purpose is a little overkill.

I just love the Speeding Bike in general due to the combo options it opens up for Wario, which is something he's rather lacking in normally.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Guess I'll just list off some sets in no real order.

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Since the news of EVO some of us Wario's have been testing these out.
Most of us like the speedy bike and the rose waft is germinating on some of us.:4wario2:

Though in my case I like using these sets:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I generally use 1112 while playing Wario now, but that's largely for extra testing. I could see 1212 working very well.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
I think a good way to decide on sets is to agree on which moves are better and/or more practical than others. So here's my opinions on them:
Chomp > Inhale Chomp > Garlic Breath (I feel Chomp is by far the most practical, but Inhale Chomp should get a set or two.)
Speeding Bike > Bike > Bury Bike (Both Speeding and Default are good, but I think Speeding Bike is a little more practical. Default should get some sets, and Bury a couple.)
Corkscrew =?= Widescrew > Corkscrew Leap (I hear Widescrew's awesome, but I don't see it. I don't think Leap is needed ever.)
Waft =?= Rose Waft > Quick Waft (I don't see as much value in Quick, but it should get a couple sets anyway.)

Wafty

Smash Apprentice
Alright so with a lot of custom legal tournaments coming up, I've decided to test Wario's customs. From my exp. I'd say that Garlic Breathe and Rose Scented Waft are our 2 worst customs. I feel that garlic breathe isnt even viable & the 2 other wafts are just better in comparison.

For customs I've been using 1213 (Speedy bike & Quick waft) and its been pretty effective. Quick waft is still a good kill move, killing around 115 on most characters and lower off stage. The fact that Wario gets a move that kills & does 18% every 30 seconds is pretty good, also people get scared of glowing Wario so it might throw off their mental game as well. Now Speedy bike, i actually love this thing! its weak but can catch landings and it also combos into fair/nair/dair or waft.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
All the Wafts are good. For slow-going matchups or ones that are difficult to land Wafts on, Rose-Scented Waft's enormous hitbox is not to be ignored (and is likely optimal a lot of the time)--18% plus a flower that usually does something like 10% more...It also charges at the same speed at Turbo Waft.

The second picture is the same situation a frame later.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Noted; not sure why I thought otherwise. Still, 60 seconds a marked improvement from 112 with regular Waft, and Turbo Waft has the potential disadvantage of being more pressing to land repeatedly, considering how time past full charge isn't benefitting you. Half-charge Rose-Scented Waft is still quite large in comparison to the other two.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Reporting on a little experimentation--Widescrew (Up-B2) has solid KO power near the edge (would likely KO at ~90% with a decent bit of Rage) as I had said before, but the start-up is noticeably high compared to Corkscrew (Up-B1), and so it is kind of limited even as an out-of-shield tool, unfortunately. You might be able to catch landings, but it seems like too much of a commitment for that to be worth it in most matchups.

The hitboxes seem comparable in size between Up-B1 and Up-B2, but the greater movement speed and overall distance of Corkscrew almost always makes opponents fall out if you go as far horizontal as you can (which is roughly a 45-degree "jump"). Widescrew doesn't seem to have this problem. That said, the first hitbox has the same range no matter what angle you take it, and that draws people into the rest, and going "halfway" forward by holding the stick at a 45-degree angle (as compared to pressing Up-B and holding straight left/right) seems to keep people in, so you don't have to just go straight up for it to function as intended.

Up-B1 seems to still be Frame 6, and the initial hitbox seems to be as wonky as it was in Brawl (which is where the following picture comes from), having a solid disjoint up front:

It is likely that Up-B1 is a better out-of-shield option than I've been giving it credit for, as long as you make sure you're facing the opponent on the initial hit. N-Air out-of-shield is Frame 9, so a quicker option with solid damage (13%!) is appreciated.

Corkscrew Leap (Up-B3) does have a lot of height and kind of enables you to go high to avoid edgeguards, but smart Bike use already does that to a degree. I could -maybe- see this in a matchup where Up-B1 wouldn't do much as an out-of-shield option and you're hell-bent on avoiding edgeguards, but Up-B1 has pretty good height to begin with, and the lack of hitbox likely makes this quite vulnerable coming up, kind of like Rush Coil.

tl;dr--Up-B2 has good KO power but seems significantly harder to land; likely not worth it. Up-B1 is a good out-of-shield tool if you're facing the opponent. Up-B3 might be usable in certain matchups to mitigate edgeguards and allow you to go in deeper for edgeguards but Up-B1 has a lot more utility, so it's hard to advocate anything but Up-B1 unless edgeguarding (both as the attacker and the victim) becomes -that- imperative in specific matchups.

UliWa

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone i actually have a custom set up that does really well on punishing and set ups

Bite
Regular Bike
Widescrew
and turbo fart

I love widescrew if you mix it up with you attacks it can punish many thing, and it has so much knock back.
Usually i use it to punish rolls, air dodges and throw it out when my opponent tries does not expect it; plus it has a lot of priority on it.
The reason why I have turbo fart is for recovery since up b 2 is pretty bad in that aspect.
Plus if i don't have the fart I can just bike. Up b 2 gives wario a lot more mind games and a great punish on rolls. Please try it out guys and give me some feedback.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

Preliminary Custom Sets:
1211 1212 1213 1221 1222 1223 1112 1122 2212 2222

Please take a look at my notes to understand which sets were included and which ones were excluded. Wario appears to have a large amount of useable Custom Specials, and with only the discussion to go on, it was VERY difficult to narrow them down in a way where you guys could enjoy the largest amount of playstyle types.

With that in mind, please take a good, long look at the sets Wario is looking at right now, and make sure this list is as optimized as it can be.
Wario:
1/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2/3, some exclusions
1211 1212 1213 1221 1222 1223 1112 1122 2212 2222
Excluded: 1113 1121 1123 2111 2112 2113 2121 2122 2123 2211 2213 2221 2223
Note: Help us narrow down these 24 sets!

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I find the lack of Heavy Bike sets rather troubling.

While it's not terribly practical for ramming people and it hurts Wario's recovery, the bike can act as an effective shield from projectiles while it's on the stage due to how durable it is, and is much easier to set up for use as an edgeguarding tool due to its slower speed. The slower speed can also work in its favor offensively, as it allows it to catch rolls better. Getting off the bike can be made safer by utilizing the boost bite technique to increase Wario's forward momentum, which will send him flying in front of the bike instead of having him simply jump straight up.

If anything, I'd omit Widescrew from some of those sets in favor of the Heavy Bike, as trying use the two together is suicidal due to how much it lowers Wario's recovery, and I don't find the move very good overall. If you want to punish rolls, chasing with nair already works well due to its lingering hitbox and ability to lead into follow-ups, and is safer.

Last edited:

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Here's my thought process for making these sets:
  • Neutral-B's
    • Chomp seems to be far and away the favorite and most practical, so it gets most of the sets.
    • Inhaling Chomp appears to be an OK option, but does not appear to be as popular nor as useful as default, so it gets only 1 set.
    • Garlic Breath is crap. 0 sets.
  • Side-B's
    • Normal Bike is useful and popular, so it forms one of the cores for sets.
    • Speeding Bike, as far as I can tell, is the most popular and is seen as a very minor upgrade. It serves as two cores for the sets.
    • Heavy Bike is the least popular and seems to be the most situational. It gets 1 set.
  • Up-B's
    • Corkscrew seems to be the preferred move. It is on most of the sets.
    • Widescrew appears to be second-most popular. It gets 3 sets.
    • Corkscrew Leap is not worth it with Wario's stellar recovery. 0 sets.
  • Down-B's
    • Normal Waft is popular and practical. It gets 3 sets.
    • Rose Waft is in a similar position to normal Waft. It gets 4 sets because it works well with Heavy Bike to make up in recovery.
    • Quick Waft seems to be slightly less loved than the other two, but it's a nice middle ground. 3 sets.
  • The Sets
    • The core sets are centered around Normal and Speeding Bikes, then the 3 Wafts, then Corkscrew and Widescrew.
    • Inhaling Chomp is by itself because I feel it is safer to have an "experimental" move be by itself.
    • The Widescrew sets have Speeding Bike because Speeding Bike seems to be the most popular.
    • The Heavy Bike set has Rose Waft because I feel that Rose Waft helping with recovery optimizes this set, and giving it Quick Waft instead would violate my thought that Rose Waft is the more popular of the two.

With that in mind, I'll list my preferred Wario sets:

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
The Heavy Bike set has Rose Waft because I feel that Rose Waft helping with recovery optimizes this set, and giving it Quick Waft instead would violate my thought that Rose Waft is the more popular of the two.
Except in a meta with 2 stocks 5/6 minutes that's a horrible combo.
The Rose waft taking a whole minute to fully charge is not good for a last resort recovery option, especially since you're only going to get 3 or 4 a match.

Turbo waft on the other hand, charges every 30 seconds. Meaning it's not a HUGE deal if you have to waste it for a recovery. And, the fact that the heavy bike is great for racking damage, Turbo waft is great for the quick kills.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Yeah, upon thinking of it more, Quick Waft would also go well or better with Heavy Bike than Rose Waft. What are the thoughts on these sets? We have less than a week until the pre-deadline of EVO taking these (3/17, final deadline is 3/27), so we should try to reach an agreement on the final sets before too long.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think the thing with Wario's customs is that none of them are explicitly better than the defaults, but rather it depends on the matchup and/or preference of the player. It all comes down in finding out the most suitable combinations, imo.

I like Nintendrone's sets for the most part. Though I'm not sure on 2111 (Just seems worse than the default because I really don't think Inhaling Chomp adds anything to his other default specials) and Heavy Bike not getting a set with Quick Waft.
Hello everyone i actually have a custom set up that does really well on punishing and set ups

Bite
Regular Bike
Widescrew
and turbo fart

I love widescrew if you mix it up with you attacks it can punish many thing, and it has so much knock back.
Usually i use it to punish rolls, air dodges and throw it out when my opponent tries does not expect it; plus it has a lot of priority on it.
The reason why I have turbo fart is for recovery since up b 2 is pretty bad in that aspect.
Plus if i don't have the fart I can just bike. Up b 2 gives wario a lot more mind games and a great punish on rolls. Please try it out guys and give me some feedback.
Also I think this set is worth considering. I personally like regular bike better than speeding bike for recovering so it works well.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Widescrew starts hitting on something like Frame 14; I'm gonna need video footage of it being useful for punishing anything. The only situation I can imagine is using it straight forward off the stage and grabbing the ledge soon after, mitigating its risk.

Last edited:

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Nintendrones sets except 2.

Get rid of suction bite as it has so many flaws to it compared to pros and default bite that it isn't worth it.
And change the heavy bike set to 1313 instead of 1312.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you use Suction Bite with your back to the edge, will an opponent go into your mouth or get sucked past the edge?

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Are you asking what happens if someone tries to roll behind you on stage if you do it at the edge orrr... ?

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Here's my revised Wario customs list.

2111 -> 1123
1312 -> 1313

1123 is a practical set that was suggested, as 2111 was just experimental.
1313 was suggested due to preference of Quick Waft with the current timer as well as faster charging.

Also, @ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder I'm pretty sure that Inhaling Chomp has neither the range nor the suction speed to make the opponent get pulled over you and offstage.

Top Bottom