• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Mii Brawler

RWB

Smash Ace
It's actually kinda sad that some of Mii Brawler's options are decent or very workable, but just outclassed by other to the degree you should almost never use them. Feint Jump is absolutely dominant, but Foot Flurry is actually really good in it's own right, just not enough to see use(since it also handicaps recovery). Head-Ache Maker I first wrote of as garbage, but it has can be combo'd into at early % and it's actually an interesting punish tool thanks to the timing choices on it(delay vs no delay) and it's power, but Onslaught does what it wants to do better and provides recovery too. If the startup part was faster HAM might be seriously useful.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
That's an interesting thought, RWB. Actually, it made me wonder about something. Could we be undervaluing the extra recovery of Burning Dropkick in a custom-moves environment? A lot of characters gain windboxes via customs (Mario, Donkey Kong, probably others)... in such a case, wouldn't we want the option to get the most horizontal recovery distance possible, just to be sure you can come back?

RWB

Smash Ace
The problem is it really doesn't give enough horizontal recovery to make up for it's shortcomings. ;_;

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Just to clarify, may be a silly question... But with regards to height and weight, when saying short/thin/fat, do you mean extremes? ie. short = the shortest possible height, thin = the narrowest possible and fat = the widest possible on the sliders?

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Just to clarify, may be a silly question... But with regards to height and weight, when saying short/thin/fat, do you mean extremes? ie. short = the shortest possible height, thin = the narrowest possible and fat = the widest possible on the sliders?
Yes, that's what it means. complete extremes unless said otherwise.

The_Serpent

Smash Rookie
Probably pretty unviable but I run Soaring Axe Kick on my Brawler, simply because it has an insane meteor effect and punishes people trying to melee edgeguard me - someone standing near the ledge can actually get meteored by it while I still grab the ledge. It also combos really nicely with Burning Dropkick.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I recently went back to using Onslaught for a while, but still couldn't get my head around it. The additional recovery of Burning Drop Kick, as well as the charge effect provide my playstyle with enough survivability as well as a way to chase dodgers without worrying too much about a punish. It's a pretty decent kill move too, even when not fully charged.

The fact that it's fire based allows for the additional hit to actively Surpass things like Ryu's focus punch armour, while things with true Super Armour you simply bounce over and behind, keeping you safe from the attack. It also combos nicely out of a 1-2 jab and clashes with projectiles, allowing you to advance without too much hassle.

Scieric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Player93
3DS FC
3325-4653-4007
I personally also prefer BDK over Onslaught. It also has decent KB, but isn't really a kill move. Both are very unsafe on block, but can be pulled out in a pinch. BDK also travels a shorter distance uncharged and a much farther fully charged with great KB. There's also the recovery advantage so that's going for it too. I go for a 2222 set when I can, but in EVO-based tourneys, since (to my knowkedge) it's not an EVO set, I'll go 2122. Pushing for the BDK though! Small version. Forgot to say that.

Last edited:

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
I personally also prefer BDK over Onslaught. It also has decent KB, but isn't really a kill move. Both are very unsafe on block, but can be pulled out in a pinch. BDK also travels a shorter distance uncharged and a much farther fully charged with great KB. There's also the recovery advantage so that's going for it too. I go for a 2222 set when I can, but in EVO-based tourneys, since (to my knowkedge) it's not an EVO set, I'll go 2122. Pushing for the BDK though! Small version. Forgot to say that.
2222 is an EVO set, but only for a tiny Mii. All the options with Onslaught have a BDK equivalent.

Scieric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Player93
3DS FC
3325-4653-4007
Exploding side kick, really? It's like a Falcon Punch. Not reliable and is just as strong as UU.

Scieric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Player93
3DS FC
3325-4653-4007
Oh yeah. THAT! I've played around with it. It doesn't bury for long enough. Not to mention the kb reduction when you're buried.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
I use this, but apparently it's unviable for some reason...which is kinda sad, as I don't like Shot Put OR Ultimate Uppercut. :\
It's unviable for the same reason Falcon players almost never use Falcon Punch. It's slow, and it has nothing to balance that. If it was slow but gave you armor while it was charging that would be something. If it killed at astronomically low percents that would be something. And considering Uppercut can do a better job killing with roughly the same damage, people tend to prefer it. Charging it up isn't even an issue since you get ample opportunities to do so. Plus, when you use it, it comes out fairly quick and has armor. So if you accidentally get an opponent to high percents you can actually end the stock.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Does HA have anything is combos into for kills? I've tried using tilts to set up smashes, I figure a half knockback tilt would set up perfectly for a smash.

Scieric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Player93
3DS FC
3325-4653-4007
You mean Head-On Assault? If the KB is low enough they won't even stop being buried, so I don't think that'll work.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I know this thread isn't really active anymore, but I feel posting here is more appropriate than starting a new thread. Can someone please convince me that Onslaught is better than Burning Dropkick? BD has better recovery distance and is safer on shield (you bounce off, right?), in addition to Onslaught having way too much startup to punish much of anything. I just don't see how 2122 is considered better than 2222. I rarely ever see Puffster or even Keitaro actually use Onslaught.

Esquire

Smash Cadet
NNID
DarkSlay
I know this thread isn't really active anymore, but I feel posting here is more appropriate than starting a new thread. Can someone please convince me that Onslaught is better than Burning Dropkick? BD has better recovery distance and is safer on shield (you bounce off, right?), in addition to Onslaught having way too much startup to punish much of anything. I just don't see how 2122 is considered better than 2222. I rarely ever see Puffster or even Keitaro actually use Onslaught.
Onslaught is generally preferred over Burning Dropkick for a number of reasons.
  • Onslaught has extremely good kill potential. Kills at around 115% on most targets at most stages outside of BF/DL. Uncharged Burning Dropkick cannot kill this early. (Note that unless you make the read of all reads or your opponent isn't very good, you're not going to have many situations where a charged BDK will hit.)
  • Onslaught actually comes out faster than (or, conservatively, virtually the same speed as) an uncharged Burning Dropkick, and travels at relatively the same distance. Onslaught has slightly less landing lag when whiffed. Both moves are punishable on shield.
  • Onslaught travels much quicker than an uncharged Burning Dropkick. It therefore can lead to mix-ups against people who try to spot dodge Helicopter Kick after combos. Turns some potentially bad situations for Mii Brawler into 50/50's.
  • The recovery gained by Burning Dropkick is okay, but both situational and rather redundant with Feint Jump (Down B 2) and Helicopter Kick (Up B 2). BDK functions similarly to Pikachu's Skull Bash, which is known to be used as a recovery mix-up in a pinch, but is easily gimpable if predicted and has a bit of difficulty immediately snapping back to ledge. Also, like Pit's Side B, if you miss the ledge snap, the recovery period is /extremely/ long. XX22 Brawler already has very good horizontal recovery options, so the better offensive option is preferred.
Burning Dropkick is tolerable for formats that (for some reason) restrict Miis to 1111/2222/3333, but for the above reasons, Onslaught is seen as the superior option.

zwataketa

Smash Rookie
I do realize this is thread isn't really active, but I noticed that each custom moveset on the list has Feint Jump. But here's the thing: Foot Flurry is a good move too. In fact, it even seems better in most cases than Feint Jump. It's a viable approach on ground, a good edgeguard, and a way to get out of juggling. And regarding juggling, you can even use the fact that the second time you use the move in air before landing won't stall you, so you can drop in on your opponent. So there's a lot of options, and they seem to be more accessible, because not everyone can use Feint Jump effectively. I think there should be some movesets on the list for the brawler that include Foot Flurry.

Last edited:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Feint Jump improves recovery, mobility, and gives us another much needed kill combo (Feint Jump > ledge cancel > Helicopter Kick), so it's definitely the better move. However, I really only see us needing four movesets: 2122, 2132, 1122, and 1132. Thus, there will always be space for other sets. So Foot Flurry doesn't leave you helpless after using it in the air? I thought it did.

zwataketa

Smash Rookie
Feint Jump improves recovery, mobility, and gives us another much needed kill combo (Feint Jump > ledge cancel > Helicopter Kick), so it's definitely the better move. However, I really only see us needing four movesets: 2122, 2132, 1122, and 1132. Thus, there will always be space for other sets. So Foot Flurry doesn't leave you helpless after using it in the air? I thought it did.
Nope. It doesn't. You probably got confused by the fact that it only stalls your momentum after the first use, but that doesn't make you helpless. It can actually work as a strategy out of juggling, though mainly as a combo starting mindgame I believe. It has a lot of customs tournament potential, methinks. Not to mention the fact that it stalls you in midair AND you can use an up b, jump, or really anything after it's done in midair.

I'm not gonna say it outclasses Feint Jump, but it has a variety of other options for those who don't want to use feint jump or can't pull off that combo. So it would be a good idea to include some movesets with Foot Flurry in my opinion.

Last edited:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Well, we have plenty of room for experimentation. I've actually tried out Headache Maker as an edge guarding tool, it's not as bad as it might initially seem, but that might be because Brawler doesn't really have any edgeguarding tools (not that he needs one, killing so early). If timed correctly, one could dash in, side B, spike an opponent trying to go for the ledge, and snap to the ledge his/herself. Maybe I like it because I don't see the use of the other side B's.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Adding onto this, is there any difference between Miis with height/weight values in between minimum/exactly medium/maximum? For example, is there any difference between a minimum height Mii and a 1/4 height Mii aside from (obviously) height?

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
The attributes associated with height change with the slider, if that's what you're asking. Speed, jump height, range, etc..

Mr.PersonSir

Smash Cadet
Hey, not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not but I'm like 99% sure it is so I'll ask it. What do you guys think of using down special 3 on mii brawler? Now here me out.I think it could be a good tool for ledge guarding. You could stand at the edge of the ledge and if the try to recover from the side you hit them with that and if they try to recover low you can jump right past the ledge so you're next to it and just hit them with it. It would work really well against characters like mega man and sonic or maybe game and watch since the only way they could stop it is to up air or something but then they'd die. My mii brawler set is 3223

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Foot Flurry, right? Good move, actually. The only reason most of us don't use it is because Feint Jump is just so much better. You can cancel the sliding lag if you go off of an edge or platform, so ledge canceled FJ > HK is a true kill combo. And then there's the extra recovery and mobility it bestows. It's not that FF is bad, it's just that FJ is the best.

The Falcon Punch clone, however, is a bad move.

Mr.PersonSir

Smash Cadet
Yeah I can see why the falcon punch clone is bad I'm considering replacing it with ultimate uppercut. And yes it's called foot flurry. I guess I could try using feint jump. I just didn't like it because it's so hard to time it right so you don't do the attack part of it. Plus since it's hard (for me at least) to get any vertical recovery out of it and I already have all the horizontal recovery I'll ever need I just didn't want to use it. But I guess I could practice that combo you said.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
For recovery, just jump out of FJ, then HK. For the combo, you need the attack to come out.

Mr.PersonSir

Smash Cadet
I tried that though and it seems you lose more vertical recovery no matter what. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Top Bottom