• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project Initial Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
I love everything about this except for "critical" versus "supplemental" classifications. Looking at Olimar's movesets and some others, what you have listed as critical doesn't really seem accurate. (Olimar's combination of hardy pikmin + sticky/quick pikmin seems like a normal thing going on, yet it's not listed at all?) That only leaves me to consider that most rulings from each board really wont' reflect the standard sets that people actually use. But that gets to another point...there really is no standard set, cause customs get swapped out left and right based on the matchup, and that's character specific (50+ opponents to counter).

Amazing work. Keep at it.
You probably wouldn't want to list Olimar for your example. By the time this list was made there were absolutely no responses about his customs in his thread. One big guessing game there hopefully to be remedied later. Thankfully now that this thread has gotten more attention, not as many characters are being left behind with guesswork.

But otherwise, I do agree that there is really no standard set, everyone agrees with that, but one must be set for this project to go anywhere. Just growing pains says I.

Edit: On another note. I think I'm done with Reddit now. I've pushed it for every last drop of an intelligent position, and I've gotten some good stuff. But I don't think I can get more at this time.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I just had an idea. Are custom sets saved on the SD card or in the Wii U's internal storage? If it's the former, that's another avenue we can use to share custom setups.

(I'm honestly not sure which it is. I think the 3DS saved to the SD card but...IDK.)

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
I just had an idea. Are custom sets saved on the SD card or in the Wii U's internal storage? If it's the former, that's another avenue we can use to share custom setups.

(I'm honestly not sure which it is. I think the 3DS saved to the SD card but...IDK.)
Customs are saved on-console, like everything else. There is NO WAY to transfer Wii U memory from one console to another at the moment short of a full memory-wiping account transfer.

Defiantly a couple variants on character I see missing that didn't make the cut. And I don't have a 3ds :/

But I can make it on the wii u right? I don't see why 3ds is mandatory. I didn't get one cause m not big into hand held games and wasn't buying a 3ds just for smash when it was coming to wii u a month later
The idea is for the TO to have a 3DS with everything unlocked. You can practice at home on Wii U with your personal build, and then show up early to have the TO make your set in an available slot on his 3DS, which he then transfers to the Wii U. Shouldn't take too long as long as not too many people demand personalized sets, and the whole point of this project is to anticipate the most popular sets anyway.

Last edited:

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
No 1311 for Robin that's somewhat disappointing but I guess that's why I have a fully unlocked 3ds. Actually now that I think about it the entire selection of Robin sets makes no sense to me. Why is fire wall not on any critical sets despite it being last time I checked generally considered to be Robin's best custom? Why is default thunder not on any of them?
Id say most Robins feel Thunder+ is better in most cases. You add a little charge time and tome charges for a big knock back boost. Both are so manageable it doesn't make sense to run default.

On hand, both fires have merit. Firewall is defensive and hits hard while default is aggressive and allows for follow ups.

Noa.

Smash Master
This is absolutely wonderful work, and it was great helping out in a small way by discussing custom moves on the Ness boards. Though I also agree that making a distinction between critical and supplemental sets is a bit arbitrary right now.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Thanks to this project, I was able to get customs rapidly onto multiple other consoles at an event!

It took about 12 minutes each of absent-minded button pressing, while watching matches and talking with people.

12 minutes might seem like a lot, but those Wii Us are now permanently ready for customs play for all future events, ever.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to this project, I was able to get customs rapidly onto multiple other consoles at an event!

It took about 12 minutes each of absent-minded button pressing, while watching matches and talking with people.

12 minutes might seem like a lot, but those Wii Us are now permanently ready for customs play for all future events, ever.
How did the event go? How did the players adapt?

Unknownkid

Smash Lord

Is there a video for this tournament? I want to see how much the metagame "change".

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Like this a lot.

I think you overused the whole "99%" and "1%" number in the video. Made up stats are made up stats. :p But well done effort, glad to see this done smoothly.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I love the idea, but as a WFT main (if one can be called a main of anyone this early) I strongly disagree with his/her loadouts. Granted WFT has a ton of viable sets and it's impossible to get all of the good ones, but 2222 (which is in my opinion the best) is notably missing [I dun read gud]. It's only one character though and the empty slots are there for a reason, but....

2222, 3222, 2232, 2212, 2223, 2221, 2122, 2121

I main this character and these are basically the only sets I use (some people like heavy header [side-3] and I can see its merit but it's not my preferred side-b in any matchup), yet not only one of them is in the critical/supplemental list.

I suppose this is partially my fault for not voting on the custom list, but I only became aware of the thread about 10 minutes ago. I had already posted my thoughts on WFT customs in the existing WFT custom thread prior http://smashboards.com/threads/wii-fit-trainer-custom-moves.369044/

I don't mind needing to setup my own customs since I've been playing with them for a while already and know my way around them, but if I as a main of a character have 8 sets that I consider critical and not one of them is present I just worry what that might mean for other characters. WFT is kind of a special case though since literally every one of her customs can be argued for (minus Hoop Hurricane and that's only because Jumbo Hoop is just too good).

edit: some corrections, and I've cross-posted this to the thread on the WFT board.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Anybody looking to put their two cents in on the sets should probably do them in the stickied threads in each of the character boards.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
2222 (which is in my opinion the best) is notably missing.
Slots 1-6 are critical/supplemental. Slots 7-8 are both reserved for 2222 and 3333. Slots 9-10 are for any specific custom builds not listed.

So you should be fine =)

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Anybody looking to put their two cents in on the sets should probably do them in the stickied threads in each of the character boards.
Done now. Felt a bit of urgency to put the previous post in here given that this is already a "release" (if a beta). Sorry if I've detracted any from the main discussion.

Slots 1-6 are critical/supplemental. Slots 7-8 are both reserved for 2222 and 3333. Slots 9-10 are for any specific custom builds not listed.

So you should be fine =)
That's what I get for not reading. Thanks.

Frojo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JothWarr
3DS FC
2595-1107-7448
This looks like a great project that I can get behind. Just wondering, since I plan on getting the moves on my 3ds, is trophy rush the fastest way to collect custom moves, or is there another method?

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Smash Run and the Home Screen Trick are the fastest!

Last edited:

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
This is a wonderful project, and I plan to get this on asap. Too bad I was too lazy to go to the customs threads. I would've given my amateur-ish opinions on Wario if I'd known his thread was empty.

Frojo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JothWarr
3DS FC
2595-1107-7448
Cool, thanks! I never really got into Smash Run, do you get rewards based on winning/collecting more stats, or is it just random? I want to make sure I have an efficient method before starting to collect all the custom moves

Frojo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JothWarr
3DS FC
2595-1107-7448
Also, are you more likely to get moves for the character you use in Smash Run? That seemed to be the case in Trophy Rush, and I would like to be able to go through a checklist of characters if possible

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Cool, thanks! I never really got into Smash Run, do you get rewards based on winning/collecting more stats, or is it just random? I want to make sure I have an efficient method before starting to collect all the custom moves
Your objective to find treasure chests, look for doors and beat semi-strong enemies in 5 minutes. The ending result doesn't benefit anything except for placebo I guess. Equip Powers like Mega Laser, Hammer and Spinning Swords to kill tough enemies faster. Giant Goombas are the easiest to kill just by jumping on them.

Also, are you more likely to get moves for the character you use in Smash Run? That seemed to be the case in Trophy Rush, and I would like to be able to go through a checklist of characters if possible
Yes. Anyways, go to the 3ds forum for more insight. This is not the place for this type of discussion.

Frojo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JothWarr
3DS FC
2595-1107-7448
Got it, sorry about that, still new to smashboards. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
This is a wonderful project, and I plan to get this on asap. Too bad I was too lazy to go to the customs threads. I would've given my amateur-ish opinions on Wario if I'd known his thread was empty.
You can still do that. This list will be revised as time moves on.

Sandwiches

Smash Cadet
Just want to say thanks to OP for doing this.

I just have to say I'm really disappointed with how custom moves are handled. They could have been a great feature if they were unlocked by default (or just easier to unlock). Me and my friends have been on the fence about using them simply because most my friends don't own a 3DS, and so if they practice with one set of moves that I don't happen to have unlocked they might be forced to use default when we play on my console and vice versa. It's also just too much with a full time job for me to come home and spam Trophy Rush all night when I still have to study and actually enjoy myself with the game in the few hours before bedtime. It's going to take an obscenely long time for me to just get most custom moves, let alone all.

Anyway, rant over. I'd love to see custom moves become legitimised in pro Smash and more accepted in general, maybe next Smash they won't be such a pain to get a hold of.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The best way to unlock customs imo is All Star on hard. One run with everyone got me almost every single custom.

You can also idle in Smash Tour.

Sandwiches

Smash Cadet
The best way to unlock customs imo is All Star on hard. One run with everyone got me almost every single custom.

You can also idle in Smash Tour.
I got 2 customs in 4 runs on hard All Star yesterday and just gave up. I'm going to get every trophy in classic and all star at this rate before I finish a single set of custom moves for a single character.

People keep saying how good these modes are, along with Trophy Rush, but I'm getting so many double ups or simply just getting tons of equipment. I'm not sure if I'm just having bad luck or if maybe the PAL version has different drop rates to other versions, but I'm just burnt out.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
I've been ignoring getting custom moves on my Wii U (except Villager's, which I needed for my amiibo, Virgil) and focusing on getting them all on 3DS, for the sake of future transfers and portability.

The struggle. Is. Real.

I was sick of Smash Run two months ago, yet I've played it almost non-stop in the last couple days. I was rolling in gold, and now I'm dirt poor thanks to Trophy Rush. And I want to play on the Wii U because it's newer and prettier and feels nicer, even though I have kinda missed the 3DS-exclusive stages.

Not counting Palutena and the Mii Fighters, I currently have 28 characters filled out. That still leaves 19 to go. I saw Powersaves for sale at GameStop and seriously considered it for a bit, but resisted.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I've been ignoring getting custom moves on my Wii U (except Villager's, which I needed for my amiibo, Virgil) and focusing on getting them all on 3DS, for the sake of future transfers and portability.

The struggle. Is. Real.

I was sick of Smash Run two months ago, yet I've played it almost non-stop in the last couple days. I was rolling in gold, and now I'm dirt poor thanks to Trophy Rush. And I want to play on the Wii U because it's newer and prettier and feels nicer, even though I have kinda missed the 3DS-exclusive stages.

Not counting Palutena and the Mii Fighters, I currently have 28 characters filled out. That still leaves 19 to go. I saw Powersaves for sale at GameStop and seriously considered it for a bit, but resisted.
On 3DS, high-difficulty classic with roulette abuse is far superior to either other method.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
On 3DS, high-difficulty classic with roulette abuse is far superior to either other method.
Probably true, but I had too much fun playing Smash Run to do it the Classic Way. Didn't take me too long either way.

I'm going through each character and trying out all of their customs; I plan on writing up which ones I like for each character once I'm done. I realized today that Link's Gale Boomerang has an elemental addition like a lot of custom moves except its a normal move. Huh.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I would like to endorse the PowerSaves method of unlocking not becuase I did it (I abused the roulette on classic) but because it's an appropriate amount of effort (very little). There's even someone willing to do it for you:

http://smashboards.com/threads/free-3ds-customs-unlock-and-set-loading-service.381918/

I'm not familiar with actually setting it up and doing it yourself; anyone have any good guides on how to PowerSave it up and get everything for free?

Last edited:

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
I would like to endorse the PowerSaves method of unlocking not becuase I did it (I abused the roulette on classic) but because it's an appropriate amount of effort (very little). There's even someone willing to do it for you:

http://smashboards.com/threads/free-3ds-customs-unlock-and-set-loading-service.381918/

I'm not familiar with actually setting it up and doing it yourself; anyone have any good guides on how to PowerSave it up and get everything for free?
The PowerSave method is pretty simple honestly.

Step 1) Buy Powersaves from Amazon/Gamestop/whatever, download software/register key.
Step 2) Insert Smash 3DS cart into included USB adapter
Step 3) Check Code for "All Custom Moves Unlocked" and Apply

I unlocked all of my custom moves the normal way on my JPN copy but realized my US Powersaves worked with my US copy once codes started coming out for it. Was pretty convenient and really simple to setup.

D

Deleted member

@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos If this isn't the case already is each custom set tied to a different color for recognition? Its probably too much of a hassle if its not the case since I don't think you can edit a transferred custom move set on the Wii U version, but having custom set 1 on Greninja be tied to his default, custom 2 on the red color, etc. If this is going to be the standard at tournaments later in the metagame, it would be nice if everything was organized the same at each event.
Also glad you didn't use Breezy Flight at all since I realized that I can always crawl up the stage or let myself fall (backwards) before using the Up B.

EDIT: This should be stickied, no reason for it not to be since all the data was gathered in stickied threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos If this isn't the case already is each custom set tied to a different color for recognition? Its probably too much of a hassle if its not the case since I don't think you can edit a transferred custom move set on the Wii U version, but having custom set 1 on Greninja be tied to his default, custom 2 on the red color, etc. If this is going to be the standard at tournaments later in the metagame, it would be nice if everything was organized the same at each event.
Also glad you didn't use Breezy Flight at all since I realized that I can always crawl up the stage or let myself fall (backwards) before using the Up B.

EDIT: This should be stickied, no reason for it not to be since all the data was gathered in stickied threads.
You can change colors on transferred sets using L/R/whatever. Also, sticky this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom