• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Diddy Kong

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Welcome to the official Smashboards Standard Custom Set project. In brief, this project is designed to be a logistical solution to using custom movesets in tournaments by filling many of the in-game slots with the most popular and powerful sets for each character so they can be quickly selected without further 3ds import. This will allow tournaments with customizations on to save large amounts of time throughout the event. More details about the project's ideas and mission can be found here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/project-proposal-we-can-make-custom-moves-fast-easy-and-legal.379555/

Our goal here is to find out what the most popular and powerful sets are for your particular character the best way we know how: asking you the mains of this character. To be clear, we're not talking about disallowing any particular custom sets or even imposing any rules in general; we're talking about making sure the popular and powerful options are simply accessible quickly in a tournament environment as our sole mission. We need up to three critical sets that represent the best options your character has that have wide general utility and from there to fill up to slot 6 with supplemental movesets that will cover less mainstream, more match-up specific, or even teams sets. Slots 7 and 8 are reserved for 2222 and 3333 to allow all moves to be explored more easily in the new metagame, and slots 9 and 10 are left open for 3ds import of non-standard sets.

Please list all movesets in the order NSUD, that is neutral special, side special, up special, and down special. This four digit code will be the naming convention so players can quickly and easily identify which moveset is which.

I know for many characters the default moveset, 1111, is a powerful and useful option. However, it should not be included; the game allows default to be picked regardless of what custom options are prepared so including it does not add any additional options to players.

I further know that some characters may find six slots a large number to fill. Others may find six very limiting. Do your best to pick out the overall six most likely to be picked even if some good stuff has to be left on the table or if some more experimental sets have to be included to fill out six. Every set included is time saved in tournament when that set would be picked, and we want to make the best use we can of these slots.

I would ask that everyone please be respectful of each other's opinions; this game is young, and the metagame is still very much forming so we are likely to each perceive it differently. This project will be revisited throughout the game's lifespan and revised to properly include the most mainstream movesets at the time. What we want for now is what will be commonly selected for now, and don't worry, other options are not being discriminated against as those last two slots are left open for 3ds transfer for a reason. This first version of this project will be refined throughout the rest of the year, but I hope to have a very rough draft up and usable by December 5 so TOs who wish to use the results of this project will have something to plug in for that weekend's worth of events. Thank you for your cooperation in this project, and we look forward to making sure the most useful options are quickly available for your character under this system.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
tbh i kinda notice Sakurai-san`s pattern> she knows some franshises are underrepresented [this does not mean number of playable characters] like DK and Metroid, so he decided to make those characters really good to compensate= tho its not the main antagonist of the franshise [dk and normal samus], but it`s always the other, more obscure one

Andrew_Ryan

Smash Cadet
I find that almost all of Diddy's customs are worse than his standard. I think the only one that might be worth changing is the popgun to a bigger Peanut, but even then I'm not sure. We need more custom tournreys lol

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
tbh i kinda notice Sakurai-san`s pattern> she knows some franshises are underrepresented [this does not mean number of playable characters] like DK and Metroid, so he decided to make those characters really good to compensate= tho its not the main antagonist of the franshise [dk and normal samus], but it`s always the other, more obscure one
The one exception is KI, which gets a ton of items and content to make up. Well I guess that's the result of asking him to make Smash immediately after finishing KIU.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The Flying Monkey Flip's meteor smash is stronger than the regular Monkey Flip's meteor smash. It seems like the custom move was designed to be used against opponents offstage.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'm pretty sure that the current Diddy sets used by the project are poor, but I'm not sure Diddy has good custom sets at all. Do any Diddy mains actually care, or are you all just rocking default until the end of days?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos Battering Banana Peel + Default everything else (1113 I think) should be our number 1 custom set.

The only other ones I can see being used are the up specials so our sets should be

1331 maybe?

Those are ordered, so if you're looking for less than 6/8/whatever you can put the cut anywhere.

Last edited:

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Just played a custom tournament today. The shock banana peel is much more useful for us than the pop up peel. Plus the shock is affected by rage (so it lasts longer), and unlike a regular trip, they can't roll out of it. On top of that, we don't lose a kill setup like we do with pop up peel (JC throw -> fsmash is no longer a thing, and fsmash is stupid powerful). And if they are shocked, we can just grab them and throw them

In short, please give a 1112, possibly instead of 1113 preset

Last edited:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Diddy Kong's banana peel to Barrel attack (custom 2) kills really early. I've gotten kills as early as 80%.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

Preliminary Custom Sets:
Diddy Kong:

1, 1, 1/2, 1/3 niche XXX2, 3XXX, X2XX

1113, 1121, 1123
niche: 1112, 1122, 3111, 3113, 3121, 3123, 1211

I tried to just include stuff that seemed to kinda make sense or that at least someone asked for. I know Diddy Kong is kinda 1111 for life, but we do want to give him his best additional options the same as everyone else. Also, @ Player-1 Player-1 why do you want side-2? I included it since no one else was asking for stuff to compete with it for room, but it does not seem like a very good move at face value.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I feel 1121 and 1131 should definitely be on the final list. I've been using 1131 at tournaments because I enjoy having a faster recovery with more control. I also plan to start experimenting with Rocketbarrel Attack because of how ridiculously early it can kill. It sure worked well for this player. Sucks it hurts the horizontal aspect of the recovery so much, but at least Diddy's standard side special works well as an excellent horizontal recovery options. I don't think Rocketbarrel Attack should ever be paired with any of his side special alternative. Though honestly, I think all of his alternative side specials suck. His Exploding Popgun neutral special also sucks and I cannot unluck Jumbo Peanuts on either versions for whatever reason. I haven't experimented with his alternative bananas enough to give good feedback on that.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
So I used 1121 at a tournament last night and feel it should definitely be on the list. I also tried one game in friendlies with 1123 and really disliked that banana. The regular and electric banana make more sense paired with up special 2 than the battering banana, though I haven't tried 1122 yet against actual people largely because that wasn't an option at the tournament and I didn't have that setup made in advance. I strongly feel both 1121 and 1131 should be in the setup. Both are decent alternatives to the stand up special for very different reasons.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Custom sets are due on the 17th!

That's everything that's been requested so far, and we have 2 slots to work with. I assume those 8 will be used. I think it's better to have 2 poor sets than to just not bother creating them as these 10 sets will be used worldwide, so we need some suggestions that are not listed above. Also, there's no point in saying "WXYZ should be included instead of ABCD" because like... we aren't gonna exactly need the slot desperately.

Suggestion: Jumbo Peanut (3xxx) variations of the most popular couple of sets? A single x3xx set for side special variation? A combination of a different banana with rocketbarrel attack?

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
DP for exposure (soz), updated previous post with 2 more sets based upon responses in the Diddy Skype group and earlier in this thread (which I missed). If nobody else responds before Ampharos checks this thread I propose 3111 and 1122 be the final two sets, however they're far from essential.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
As long as 1121 and 1131 are part of the final list, I'm happy. Though I have no thoughts on Jumbo Peanuts since I've never unlocked that move. :|

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Looking at knock-up nana, I don't see what advantages it has over the other two. It simply limits your punish options, if you use the other nanas you can just grab them and put yourself in a similar positional advantage.

The lightning nana is good if you're like me and like to use the pluck to force frame traps. Does it stun longer the higher their percent?

B and sideb customs look useless. The only possible use I can think is if the B customs somehow affect what we can do with popgun cancelling. That'd require testing though.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I find it harder/slower to popgun cancel with jumbo peanuts so I'm inclined to believe the timing might be slightly different (ie slower and not as effective).

Also, we're a bit late for discussion at this point.

Top Bottom