• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
No. There is a link that mentioned this earlier. It's at Starmen.net.
Yes. I linked to it.

Sukapon was “planned” at some point for Melee (actually, it’s not totally clear. It could have been (but probably wasn’t) the first Smash), but the team didn’t go through with it. Sakurai tells two fans that they probably shouldn’t expect to see Sukapon in the future. In an earlier comment, he said it was “doubtful” that the game would make it overseas.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
SSB4 needs a mode where the game learns your playstyle with your characters, and you can have the game save your playstyle so the CPU may play the way you do. Ghost data, if you will.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I think that's pretty hard to do, especially if you have a slightly erratic gameplay. You're not going to do the same thing everytime over and over again in every match. It totally depends on the opponent, unlike in racers, where everyone basically just does the same: drive circles.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
No you have me wrong. I'm not saying the CPU does an entire battle move for move, I'm taking about how you can play games like Tekken and Virtua Fighter and the CPU remembers how often you use certain moves in certain situations, and how you react to certain things.

So in SSB4, if you play Pit like this:

Heavy Arrow use from a distance, constant sidestepping, never roll dodging, never use grab attacks, throws items immediately after grabbing one instead of using it first, relies extremely on the Down Strong...

the game remembers how you play and the frequency of what you do when you do, and controls Pit in a similar way.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
SSB4 needs a mode where the game learns your playstyle with your characters, and you can have the game save your playstyle so the CPU may play the way you do. Ghost data, if you will.
I think that's pretty hard to do, especially if you have a slightly erratic gameplay. You're not going to do the same thing everytime over and over again in every match. It totally depends on the opponent, unlike in racers, where everyone basically just does the same: drive circles.
The game pretty6 much already does that, although not to a great extent. Characters will do things based on what you do. I.e. My friends plays Wolf alot and utilizes his Down B. Now, my Wolf does it all the time.

Agi

Smash Lord
Predicted Roster for SSB4

(click for full size)​

Note: Mewtwo stands to be replaced with another rep from a small, but important series.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion

(click for full size)​

Note: Mewtwo stands to be replaced with another rep from a small, but important series.
That's awesome, but what's up with this "Let's replace Mewtwo with someone else" NONSENSE?!?!?!?!?! Do you realize that there's only one Melee character that people want to return more than Mewtwo, and that's Roy?! This series is built around popular characters, and Mewtwo is STILL more popular than any Pokemon besides Pikachu and Charziard!!! If any Pokemon on there is quickly becoming out of date, it's Lucario. Not that I want to see him get "replaced" either. The more the merrier. Mewtwo just needs a better moveset and stats.../rant

Replace Tingle with Midna
Fixed. XD

and Mewtwo with Dark Samus and I agree 100%!
As much as i like Dark Samus... no way. Dark Samus appears to be perminatly dead, and is in no way better than a buffed Mewtwo would be. Why not have both I ask you? Pokemon needs a villian, and Mewtwo is the best pick for that. Darkurai doesn't have arms or legs... right? metroid definatly needs more rep, it's true, but enough of this replacement fixation.

EDIT: You left out Dixie Kong!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Oh no duh.

Wizzerd made me remember what I wanted to tell you when you showed me the roster in the first place. Replace Mewtwo with Paper Mario, perhaps?

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
I seriously don't understand how people actually think Riley could be a character. He's a HUGE metallic skinny dragon thing with wings (he can fly), insane speed and terrorizes the planets that Samus explores. Just because he's a major recurring villain doesn't mean he should be in the game. ZSS is completely fine and she's a great character. She has a unique playstyle and satisfies a niche of players in the Brawl community. Now people will be like "lul boosr is a villain and he's in the game" but he's a viable character and the way he was portrayed in Mario games is easily adaptable to a fighting game.

If you put Riley in the game, Sakurai would have to edit, scale, change and adjust Riley so much to at least make him viable for playing that he would be barely recognizable anymore. Get real, people.

justaway12

Smash Master
I seriously don't understand how people actually think Riley could be a character. He's a HUGE metallic skinny dragon thing with wings (he can fly), insane speed and terrorizes the planets that Samus explores. Just because he's a major recurring villain doesn't mean he should be in the game. ZSS is completely fine and she's a great character. She has a unique playstyle and satisfies a niche of players in the Brawl community. Now people will be like "lul boosr is a villain and he's in the game" but he's a viable character and the way he was portrayed in Mario games is easily adaptable to a fighting game.

If you put Riley in the game, Sakurai would have to edit, scale, change and adjust Riley so much to at least make him viable for playing that he would be barely recognizable anymore. Get real, people.
:goomba: Go to Page 1104 to see a resized Ridley, he looks perfectly fine. :goomba:

Agi

Smash Lord
Who is that in your 5th gen pokemon box?
It doesn't really matter... just a random fan-made image of a 5th gen.

Also, at many of the other responses...

This is NOT a create-your-own-roster type of thing. I chose the characters (for the most part) based off of the SSB4 discussion group, and as such am replacing the Mewtwo slot in favor of Paper Mario.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend

Obvious troll is obvious. This was all addressed some two years ago.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
It's not my fault that fanboys want popular fighting games to be overrun with tremendous looming dragons, super saiyans, sephiroth x cloud yaoi/angry sex and other ridiculous things. I'm just stating the facts.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
It's not my fault that fanboys want popular fighting games to be overrun with tremendous looming dragons, super saiyans, sephiroth x cloud yaoi/angry sex and other ridiculous things. I'm just stating the facts.
I'm pretty sure that nobody here wants Super Saiyans, Sephiroth, Cloud, sex or "other ridiculous things". And Ridley is really a lock for SSB4, considering his popularity.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sakruai wasn't going to allow more than 3 in Brawl, so I'd doubt that he would let 5 more get into SSB4.
Actually, the amount was never really set since he said maybe at the end. However, if you're trying to be realistic, I don't see any more than 2 more third parties with one of them being Megaman and possibly a second Konami, Sega, or Capcom character (Simon Belmont, Tails, or Ryu respectively).

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Actually, the amount was never really set since he said maybe at the end. However, if you're trying to be realistic, I don't see any more than 2 more third parties with one of them being Megaman and possibly a second Konami, Sega, or Capcom character (Simon Belmont, Tails, or Ryu respectively).
I agree. There are plenty of worthwhile Nintendo characters to add to SSB4 before we scour the third parties. However, SSB5 might need to be more dependant on third parties.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure that nobody here wants Super Saiyans, Sephiroth, Cloud, sex or "other ridiculous things". And Ridley is really a lock for SSB4, considering his popularity.
I don't think you really got the meaning behind my post :\ Just because a few of the fanbase want something doesn't mean it has to be in it nor should it in any way influence the game producers to put in said thing, especially if it violates the way they want their game to be perceived. I'm sure Sakurai thinks in this way.

Maybe you should think outside the box and not be locked in this microcosm of the true Smash community.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I don't think you really got the meaning behind my post :\ Just because a few of the fanbase want something doesn't mean it has to be in it nor should it in any way influence the game producers to put in said thing, especially if it violates the way they want their game to be perceived. I'm sure Sakurai acts this way as well.

Maybe you should think outside the box and not be locked in this microcosm of the true Smash community.
It isn't "a few of the fanbase" who support Ridley. There truly is a massive amount of support for him. I'm willing to bet that the majority of the "true Smash community", whatever that is, wants Ridley. And how does having an opinion different then yours make me not "thinking outside the box"? And how can you accuse me of that- are you the voice of all of the Smash community?
I apologize if I'm seeming like an a**hole.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
It isn't "a few of the fanbase" who support Ridley. There truly is a massive amount of support for him. I'm willing to bet that the majority of the "true Smash community", whatever that is, wants Ridley. And how does having an opinion different then yours make me not "thinking outside the box"? And how can you accuse me of that- are you the voice of all of the Smash community?
I apologize if I'm seeming like an a**hole.
Well, I don't know if there is a "massive amount of support". I just see a few SWFers nagging to have the dragon in the next SSB because they think it'll be "cool". Naturally, some people will agree. However, rumors and one small fraction of one forum for the game should not be considered huge support.

Which is what I'm trying to get at, I'm not the voice of all the Smash community. In fact, I'm simply playing devil's advocate and pointing that simply because YOU think it's viable for him to be in the game doesn't mean it really is because YOU nor the other people wanting Ridley are the voice of the true Smash community. When you think about the majority of the America, how many do you think that buy this game are "competitive smashers"? We, with our inflated egos due to our overindulgence in this game has led us to believe we are the top of the capitalist food chain where in reality, we're but a mere subculture and are to be treated as equally as any other consumer.

And don't worry, I wasn't offended.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Of course. Now that Brawl is out, Ridley's popularity and importance to Nintendo fades into obscurity. The fact he was voted second on the most wanted character-polls right after Sonic gets completely ignored.

I mean, he's just a random character with no importance to his franchise. It's not like he destroyed the main protagonist's homeworld and killed her family, thus resulting in her becoming a bounty hunter in the first place. It's not like he appeared in almost every game of the franchise, and it's not like he's extremely popular.

Of course, wanting in Ridley equals to be the same kind of people who want in Naruto or Master Chief, because Ridley has nothing to do with Nintendo just like those other two..

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Of course. Now that Brawl is out, Ridley's popularity and importance to Nintendo fades into obscurity. The fact he was voted second on the most wanted character-polls right after Sonic gets completely ignored.

I mean, he's just a random character with no importance to his franchise. It's not like he destroyed the main protagonist's homeworld and killed her family, thus resulting in her becoming a bounty hunter in the first place. It's not like he appeared in almost every game of the franchise, and it's not like he's extremely popular.

Of course, wanting in Ridley equals to be the same kind of people who want in Naruto or Master Chief, because Ridley has nothing to do with Nintendo just like those other two..
If I wasn't advertising my link-up space, this would be my new sig :bee:.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice

Sarcasm is a nice tool in moderation.

It's not like I ever stated he wasn't imported to the franchise - of course he is. Even with this poll you're talking about, it still doesn't represent the whole population in any way. Polls are meant to confuse the general populace, such as yourself, into believing that big % = a lot of people oh my lolz. However, maybe if you tell me how many people did this survey, I'll concede its significance. And even if it was a lot of people, just because there is a high demand doesn't necessary "entitle" one to a spot. Lucas was rather unpopular but he got in. Would you look at that.

Also, it's pretty obvious considering that every villian doesn't have an entry into the Smash games. Where's Cackletta or Bowser Jr. or Giovanni/Team Rocket or anybody else? Wait, they're affiliated with Nintendo, they must be in Brawl, why aren't they? You know, just because they are affiliated with Nintendo doesn't mean they should be in, either. I mean, look at Snake. Oh, a Gamecube port of MGS2 and some NES games? Some real ties there.

EDIT: I'm a bit tired of arguing the Ridley thing so I'll end it here :p

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, it was the polls that determined that Sonic would get in Brawl, so...

Lucas, as well as Snake, have been included not for popularity or importance to Nintendo. Lucas was included as a tribute to the Mother series which ended with Mother 3. Snake was included because his creator, Hideo Kojima, is friends with Sakurai - and he had at least one exclusive game on the NES which is as much as the Ice Climbers have. Sonic was included due to popularity and high demand, though, and had almost all of his recent games on Nintendo systems.

Naruto is an anime character that has nothing to do with Nintendo. Master Chief is a character that has nothing to do with Nintendo.

As for the names you listed: Cackletta is not nearly as important to the Mario (or Paper Mario) franchise as Ridley is to the Metroid franchise. The same goes for Bowser Jr. and Giovanni. I kinda think Mewtwo would rather be the villain for Pokemon over Giovanni or Team Rocket. If you would include a second Pokemon Trainer type-character, the originality of this one character would not be original anymore.

What I want to say is that wanting Ridley being included is not out there. I think it's pretty dumb to say "RIEDLY WLIL NEVR B IN SMASH SOTP WNATIGN HIEM", though. We had many arguments in this and other threads for why Ridley should be included, and almost all contra-arguments have been debunked. And those which weren't were based on opinion.

Ultimately, it's Sakurai's decision who is in Smash and who isn't, but speculating is what we do here, and we enjoy speculating and discussing possibilities. No need to come in and essentially say "This thread sucks, you suck, go die in a fire you *******s"

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It is obvious that you are knew to the SSB4 thing. Sit about it, think of a more deserving character than Ridley (besides perhaps K. Rool) and then get back to us.

Remember the screens that drag0nsythce made and the opening video of Melee (where Ridley was only slightly taller than Samus) when thinking about it.

If you still feel after that that Ridley won't be in Smash, then you're just being stubborn.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y284e_HlB9Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y284e_HlB9Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

check out my vid plz is a video wiht reasonable predicted characters not to balistic not to organized

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well, it was the polls that determined that Sonic would get in Brawl, so...

Lucas, as well as Snake, have been included not for popularity or importance to Nintendo. Lucas was included as a tribute to the Mother series which ended with Mother 3. Snake was included because his creator, Hideo Kojima, is friends with Sakurai - and he had at least one exclusive game on the NES which is as much as the Ice Climbers have. Sonic was included due to popularity and high demand, though, and had almost all of his recent games on Nintendo systems.
No, from what I can tell, Lucas was added for popularity. Most of the characters were (the only ones who weren't were R.O.B., Zero Suit Samus, Pokemon Trainer and Snake). Lucas and Mother are pretty popular (or better yet, they have a strong fanbase).

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

(click for full size)​

Interesting list. Drop Jigglypuff and keep Mewtwo and that's all I can comment on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom