• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So to please today's Pokemon fans in SSB4, I think we can expect to see the following characters:

Pikachu
Gold with Johto starters aka the new Pokemon Trainer
5th gen Pokemon
Jigglypuff :rolleyes:
Lucario

I mean, think about it... the Pokemon fans from 2002-2007 were playing Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Diamond, and Pearl. The Pokemon characters added and considered in Brawl were Pikachu (all games), Pokemon Trainer (FR/LG), Lucario (D/P), Jigglypuff (all games), Mewtwo (FR/LG), and Plusle & Minun (R/S/E). So what are the Pokemon games the Pokemon fans are playing now till the time SSB4 is announced (probably in 2012)? Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, and the possible future 5th gen games. That means no Mewtwo and no Meowth. :(

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
How exactly was Pichu "a joke that worked"? Not only was he joke, he was also
1. Though hate the usage of the word, Cloned
2. Filler-ish
3. A very bad version of Pikachu, he hurt himself.

Where was the backlash of Pichu being gone? Did anybody miss him? (by that I mean enough for people to notice)
Mewtwo and Roy are the ones that had the most backlash as far as I know, Mewtwo wasn't cloned and Roy was awesome for some people.

Arcadenik, that is false, 2nd gen takes up 5th gen for the time being.

Mewtwo was not only a FR/LG character, he was in Melee and (at least I think) popular, at least in Pokemon games, he is more likely than Meowth by far. Not only that but if memory serves Mewtwo is "catchable" in Johto/Kanto (2nd gen is what I mean by that). People whined over no Mewtwo and Sakurai is not stupid, he will do is best to add Mewtwo if he wants fans happy.

SSB4 Pokemon might look like this:
Pikachu (duh)
Jiggs (she's staying)
Mewtwo (again he's not stupid)
PT (I'm not sure on his pop)
2nd gen
Lucario

I think I can live with that

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
imo, they should bring everyone back. Taking out characters is a stupid idea, especially if everyone has something to offer if not being just a gimmick, fan base, or joke (yes, he was a joke, but Pichu was a joke that worked). Taking out a character seems to generate a lot more backlash at a company than leaving them in. I mean, I don't like Lucario or Ike.... at ALL. There's just more reasons to keep them in then out. They should all be tweaked of course in some way, but I wouldn't mind every character from previous Smash games in there, along with new ones to boot.
Its wishful thinking, but you have to take into consideration time restraints, deadlines, and room on the roster

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
If they began it in secret, for like a year and a half, before even announcing it, they could have it ready for launch with a new console. They could bundle it, and like Melee, it would probably be the top seller on the console.

Congrats, BBQTV. 1000!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So if we had no time restraints, Brawl would have had Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Zelda / Toon Sheik, Dixie Kong, and Plusle & Minun? That still won't make fans happy anyway. The fans will always find something to whine about. They would complain about how most of these characters are clones, especially Toon Sheik, and they would still whine about the lack of Ridley, Krystal, Samurai Goroh, Lyn, Isaac, etc. I guess Sakurai will have to do this to make fans happy.

BBQTV

Smash Master
If they began it in secret, for like a year and a half, before even announcing it, they could have it ready for launch with a new console. They could bundle it, and like Melee, it would probably be the top seller on the console.

Congrats, BBQTV. 1000!
thank you zam anyway the way i got melee was from a bundle think if the new smash comes out like wii sports that would be friggen ace

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
*looks hopeful* Or just ask if the fans wanna wait and push it back like they did with Brawl......especially if it's for something good........like Mewtwo.....

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Congrats, BBQTV. 1000!
Making it a launch title is bad idea. This kind of game takes a lot of time to perfect as much as possible. However, I do agree that they should keep development of it a secret to some degree. They should still get international input for characters and gameplay.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Congrats, BBQTV. 1000!
They did that with Brawl. Back in E3 2005, Iwata announced that there would be a new Smash game for the Nintendo Revolution but he didn't say when it would come out. Then in private, Iwata and Sakurai met and discussed the game. Then in E3 2006, Brawl was officially announced for the Wii. That would mean it took them about two years to develop the game, starting in October 2005 and ending in probably October 2007 (the month Sonic was confirmed) and the game was originally slated to be released in December 3, 2007 but it was delayed to February 10, 2008.... and then delayed again to March 9, 2008.

FaWa

Smash Apprentice
I would hope for a ton of new characters, and a better online, no more tripping and stuff like that, and SSB4 would be fantastic.

Also: Look at all the weapons in SFA. Why can't they integrate those into Wolf/Falco's move set so they wouldn't be clones anymore?

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
Making it a launch title is bad idea. This kind of game takes a lot of time to perfect as much as possible. However, I do agree that they should keep development of it a secret to some degree. They should still get international input for characters and gameplay.
On occasion I like your ideas, this is one of those times. They should do pretty much that right there ^

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
*looks hopeful* Or just ask if the fans wanna wait and push it back like they did with Brawl......especially if it's for something good........like Mewtwo.....
Sure, let Nintendo ask us if we want to wait longer for SSB4 if it is to add more characters... and once Nintendo adds said characters, they can ask us again if we want even more characters and we say yes... so Nintendo delays the game again to add even more said characters... and after Nintendo is done adding those characters, they can ask us if we want to wait even MOAR longer for even MOAR characters... and so on... and we keep waiting for the game for five more years after SSB4 is announced.

This is a ist of stages that I think should act as each characters Home stage. I think each character ashould have a stage that represents them in the game, instead of having series stage caps. I will do thr veterans and the commonly agreed upon newcomes (No Ridley, because he is split currently and I no very little about Metroid).

Mario
Mario- Galaxy themed level
Luigi- Revamped Luigi's mansion
Peach- Peach's castle
Bowser- Bowser's castle

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong- New Kongo Jungle
Diddy Kong- Bramble Blast
K. Rool- Gangplank Galleon

Wario
Wario- New WarioWare >.>

Legend of Zelda
Link- Kakriko village/ New area from Zelda Wii
Zelda- Hyrule Castle top (similar to the one in SSB)
Ganondorf- The Dark realm (Link to the Past)
Toon Link- Spirit Tacks Train

Metroid
Samus- Space Pirate colony(?)
*Metroid help would be much appreciated

Kirby
Kirby- New Dream Land/ Fountain of Dreams
D3- Mont DeDeDe
Metaknight- Halberd

Star Fox
Fox- Corneria
Falco- Some kind of Arwind themed level (perhaps battlign atop moving arwings in a dogfight?)
Wolf- Sagrosso hideout(?)

Pokemon
Pikachu- Virdian Forest
Pokemon Trainer- Gym battle montage
Jigglypuff- Saffron City
Lucario- Iron Island

F-Zero
Captain Falcon- F-Zero raceway(?)

Earthbound
Ness- Fourside(?)
Lucas- Redisigned New Pork City

Pikmin
Olimar- bulbax kingdom

Fire Emblem
Marth- Manateke village (whose name escapes me)
Ike- Ashnard's Courtyard

Retro (and Pit)
Pit- Skyworld
Game and Watch- New G&W 3
Ice Climbers- Summit
R.O.B- Gyromite Factory

Third Parties
Snake- Shadow Moses Island
Sonic- Green Hill zone 2
Megaman- Dr. Wiley's lab*
*Really depends on whcih Megaman is used

You can tell which series I know less about...Help on those ould be appreciated

BBQTV

Smash Master
Sure, let Nintendo ask us if we want to wait longer for SSB4 if it is to add more characters... and once Nintendo adds said characters, they can ask us again if we want even more characters and we say yes... so Nintendo delays the game again to add even more said characters... and after Nintendo is done adding those characters, they can ask us if we want to wait even MOAR longer for even MOAR characters... and so on... and we keep waiting for the game for five more years after SSB4 is announced.
come on it wouldnt be that bad

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This is a ist of stages that I think should act as each characters Home stage. I think each character ashould have a stage that represents them in the game, instead of having series stage caps. I will do thr veterans and the commonly agreed upon newcomes (No Ridley, because he is split currently and I no very little about Metroid).

Mario
Peach- Peach's castle
Bowser- Bowser's castle

Donkey Kong

Wario
Wario- New WarioWare >.>

Legend of Zelda

Metroid

Kirby
D3- Mont DeDeDe
Metaknight- Halberd

Star Fox
Fox- Corneria
Falco- Some kind of Arwind themed level (perhaps battlign atop moving arwings in a dogfight?)

Pokemon
Pikachu- Virdian Forest
Jigglypuff- Saffron City
Lucario- Iron Island

F-Zero

Earthbound
Ness- Fourside(?)

Pikmin
Olimar- bulbax kingdom

Fire Emblem
Ike- Ashnard's Courtyard

Retro (and Pit)
Pit- Skyworld
Ice Climbers- Summit
R.O.B- Gyromite Factory

Third Parties
Sonic- Green Hill zone 2

You can tell which series I know less about...Help ont hose ould be appreciated

Here I will assist you.

Samus - Metroid: Other M stage
Wolf - Sargasso Hideout sounds good.
Captain Falcon - His stage should stay as Port Town
Ness - SATURN VALLEY!!!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe no, but I don't want Smash to end up looking like this. But seriously, I am not interested in waiting for a game indefinitely. One to three delays may be enough but I don't want too many delays if it is just for characters, especially if they are clones or characters I had already played before in past Smash games.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
M suggestions are in bold.

Mario
Peach- Peach's castle
Bowser- Bowser's castle

Donkey Kong

Wario
Wario- New WarioWare >.>Maybe something with Diamond City involved as well.

Legend of Zelda
Toon Link- Cel-shaded Kokiri Forest

Metroid
Samus-Zebes, but no lava for once.
Ridley - Lower Norfair

Kirby
D3- Mont DeDeDe
Metaknight- Halberd

Star Fox
Fox- Corneria
Falco- A new Lylat Cruise
Krystal(just because I can) - Thorntail Hollow

Pokemon
Pikachu- Virdian Forest
Jigglypuff- Saffron City
Lucario- Iron Island

F-Zero
Captain Falcon-Mute City

Earthbound
Ness- Onett
Lucas- Tazmilly Village or Saturn Valley

Pikmin
Olimar- bulbax kingdom

Fire Emblem
Ike- Ashnard's Courtyard

Retro (and Pit)
Pit- Skyworld
Ice Climbers- Summit
R.O.B- Gyromite Factory

Third Parties
Sonic- Green Hill zone 2

You can tell which series I know less about...Help ont hose ould be appreciated

For the most part, I agree with this list. It'd be great if everyone had a home stage. Of course, there should still be certain stages for series without characters.

Thanks Kuma, I was hoping you'd fix Earthbound, i had no idea for them.

And of course there would eb other stages from existing series and older series alike, this was just for the purpose of Home stages.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, just to give an overview of all the characters that were added in Brawl.

1. Wario (Popular Melee poll character.)

2. Diddy (Popular Melee poll character, wasn't in Melee due to problems with Rare.)

3. King Dedede (Popular Melee poll character, wasn't in Melee because Sakurai didn't want to show bias towards his own characters)

4. Metaknight (Popular Melee poll character, wasn't in Melee because Sakurai didn't want to show bias towards his own characters and there were complications with programming "flying" characters.)

5. Wolf (On the Melee poll, rumored to have been replaced by Falco when Sakurai found it "inappropriate" for Wolf to be so similar to Fox.)

6. Pit (On the Melee poll, complications with programming "flying" characters.)

7. Pokemon Trainer (Popular Melee poll character.)

8. Sonic (Popular Melee poll character, Yuji Naka tried to get him added but missed the "character deadline" by several months.)

9. Snake (Hideo Kojima tried to get him added but missed the "character deadline" by several months.)

10. Toon Link (Replaced Young Link)

11. Zero Suit Samus (Sakurai wanted another female and Metroid rep.)

12. ROB (Sakurai's wild card like Game and Watch in Melee.)

13. Ike (Most recent Fire Emblem lord as of October 2005.)

14. Lucario (Most popular 4th generation pokemon as of October 2005. Was the star of the Mystery of Mew which premiered in Japan during the summer.)

15. Olimar (Only Miyamoto franchise that didn't have a playable rep and Pikmin was the only console franchise that Nintendo introduced on the Gamecube that didn't completely tank like Geist and Odama.)

16. Lucas (Was going to replace Ness in Melee but, in 2000, Earthbound 64 was cancelled and Mother 3 wasn't released until April 2006.)

Again, just to make sure everyone's on the same page.

Pieman0920

Smash Master

Mario
Peach- Peach's castle
Bowser- Bowser's castle

Donkey Kong

Wario
Wario- New WarioWare >.>

Legend of Zelda

Metroid

Kirby
D3- Mont DeDeDe
Metaknight- Halberd

Star Fox
Fox- Corneria

Pokemon
Pikachu- Virdian Forest
Jigglypuff- Saffron City
Lucario- Iron Island

F-Zero

Earthbound
Ness- Fourside(?)

Pikmin
Olimar- bulbax kingdom

Fire Emblem
Ike- Ashnard's Courtyard

Retro (and Pit)
Pit- Skyworld
Ice Climbers- Summit
R.O.B- Gyromite Factory

Third Parties
Sonic- Green Hill zone 2

You can tell which series I know less about...Help on those ould be appreciated
I too want every character to have a "home" stage like they did in Melee, but I also know you just can't have a character specific stage for every character. Some characters are going to have to have stages from other series, and its also possible some character's home stages should just be past stages. For instance, I don't think there should be a second Luigi's Mansion or Peach's castle just to give Luigi and Peach a specific stage. Maybe those stages can show up as past stages, but it just seems dumb to redo them. In any case, some suggestions

There should be two Metroid stages, in my opinion based around MP3 and MoM. Of course we have no idea what MoM's setting will be like, so I would suggest just the pirate mother ship from ZM for now. As for the MP3 stage, I would go with Sky Town. In regards to Star Fox, I feel that it should get two stages as well, in the form of the new Great Fox as seen in SFC, as well as a stage taking place on Sauria. For now, F-Zero would probably be good with the updated Port Town from GX, and if Samurai Goroh gets in, then Red Canyon would be a plus too. (Of course I think it should only be two new stages for most of the well established series anyways, so Red Canyon may still be fine, even without Goroh) The Wario series should also have two stages, one based around Wario Land (Golden Temple seems alright to me) and one based around WarioWare, which could be Diamond City. Lastly, like Metroid, I think that one of the LoZ stages will be based around the upcoming game, and thus we can't decide on it right now, but for a placeholder I would use a generic dungeon. For its second stage, I would go with a train level going through a forest.

EDIT: Fatman, I think PT was mostly added because of his mechanic, rather than popularity, since if I recall correctly, there were a few other characters on the Pokemon list before him.

Using past stages is fine, but I the list was only home stages, not additional stages, so Wario could get two, but only his home is mentioned in my list.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
I think every character should have a stage which represents his/her first adventure and one of the recent ones. For example: Mario series gets Mushroom Kingdom and a Galaxy stage. Obviously not every character would have one but y'know, just for the major characters.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
8. Sonic (Popular Melee poll character, Yuji Naka tried to get him added but missed the "character deadline" by several months.)
Sonic did pretty bad on the Melee poll and there's no proof behind the Naka interview (plus the whole Dreamcast still being around thing, blah blah). Sakurai kept saying how Sonic was by far the most requested character in the Brawl polls, even on his Dojo page. Pretty clear that Melee had nothing to do with his inclusion.

12. ROB (Sakurai's wild card like Game and Watch in Melee.)
Wild Card makes it sound like there was no reason to add either character in particular other than to **** with people. Keep in mind the huge impact both had when they were active, the G&W Gallery games, ROB's appearance in Mario Kart DS, and cameos from both in all sorts of games.

Everything else is mostly correct, although I'd disagree that the Melee poll carried as much weight as your post implies. Sakurai doesn't rely on Smash polls alone to know who's popular and who's not. If developers wants to know what their fans are thinking, they don't have to formally ask.

@Pieman: For the Melee poll at least, the only two Pokemon ahead of PT were Mewtwo and Mew (35 > 24 > 18).

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Metroid level ideas:

Tallon overworld- prime 1
Dark "Ing like" level- Echoes
SkyTown- corruption

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Fixed.

Seriously, stop applying your opinions to the entire world. Meowth, while not insanely popular, does have supporters aside from Arcadenik, and Arcadenik makes a reasonable point by saying that he did well on the Melee poll. Unfortunately, I think success on the Brawl poll now carries more weight, and there's no way of knowing how he did there.
Guess what, I never hear it. Go look around outside of here, and Mewoth never comes up once. Meowth is liked by former Nsiders, but no one else. Most of the characters you all like reflect what Nsiders liked (and a lot of those choices would not boil over well with older players).

No, I'm sick and tired of hearing about Meowth as Meowth was relevent almost seven years ago. No one really cares now and I see no reason in any argument for the character save he was on the Melee poll in 2001.

Which is ironic considering that everything Smash does is taken from other fighting games, but done in its own style. Here's a list of what Smash took from other fighters, but did in its own way:

Final Smash - Super move
KO method - A literal spin on the term KO
Special moves - Aside from simpler execution, these are identical to other fighting games with them.
Teching - Present in other games, but with varying input methods
Normal moves - uhh..... Normal moves

The one thing I can give you is aerial emphasis, but for some characters, this is the same as juggling.
The bold is why Smash is successful. Special moves are comparable, but not it's a big note (a lot of games have standard and special attacks, even ones which aren't fighting games). What Smash has done right is avoid what has made fans like traditional fighting games. Since Street Fighter 2, fighting games have been in decline. Smash comes along and does everything different. The biggest thing is making the game easy to play.

OH, and I for one would love to see Meowth in. I swear, this how Pokemon number issue could probably be resolved if the put in Green.
Green is a terrible idea (this is for everyone, not just you Kuma).

All Green would be is Pokemon Trainer with different Pokemon. How is it any more fun? Most fans would see it as stupid as the characters would be exactly the same in their eyes. ZSS is interesting as it adds a unique dynamic to the Zelda/Sheik model. Green would just be the same model to add in pokemon that only a few people are about anyway. PKMN Trainer's three Pokemon made sense as they were iconic to players and represented the trainer well. Green is just to add more pokemon in one character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wild Card makes it sound like there was no reason to add either character in particular other than to **** with people. Keep in mind the huge impact both had when they were active, the G&W Gallery games, ROB's appearance in Mario Kart DS, and cameos from both in all sorts of games.
There really isn't any negative connotation to Wild Card. Basically, like Mr. Game and Watch, ROB pretty much came out of left field and, as you said, the only recent cameos he had were Mario Kart DS and F-Zero GX. Really, barely anyone saw them coming and, to be completely honest with ourselves, barely anyone wanted them. They were unpopular but not in a bad way.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Does it matter if "only Nsiders want Meowth"? It only proves that I am not the only one who supports Meowth. Really, if Mewtwo was in Brawl, Meowth would have more supporters right now. I remember when Brawl was announced, almost everyone were confident that Mewtwo (plus Pikachu and Jigglypuff but not Pichu) would be in Brawl and they were supporting Lucario and Meowth and almost everyone were against the idea of Red being in Smash before the Pokemon Trainer was confirmed. Most fans are supporting Mewtwo now because they want him back. So they are pouring a lot of energy supporting Mewtwo that Meowth has little support now.

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
I have no clue about the likelyhood of Meowth. He has a role in the anime, is catchable in every pokemon game ( I think ) and will continue to be. But, as far as I know, he isn't likely at all.

I would really LOVE for Meowth to be in...Its just.....he isn't as likely.
He would be easy to put in too. But with over repping, and replacing a "More Worthy" character that could take the spot.
He just isn't very likely.

EDIT: Did any of you read the Melee Poll results that I posted?

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
There really isn't any negative connotation to Wild Card. Basically, like Mr. Game and Watch, ROB pretty much came out of left field and, as you said, the only recent cameos he had were Mario Kart DS and F-Zero GX. Really, barely anyone saw them coming and, to be completely honest with ourselves, barely anyone wanted them. They were unpopular but not in a bad way.
I know what you're saying, I'm just nitpicking over semantics. "Wild Card" sounds like he picked names out of a hat when it's pretty obvious he put a lot of thought into both of them.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I know that, Hero Dude. Meowth is fighting an uphill battle here. I doubt "overrepping" is the issue. We have five 1st gen Pokemon and one 4th gen Pokemon in Brawl. I think it is just that there were "more worthy" characters. Mewtwo and Pokemon Trainer came before Meowth on the Melee poll and Lucario was added to promote the 4th gen games and Plusle & Minun would have doubled as a 3rd gen mascot and a Pichu replacement. I think that after Mewtwo and the 5th gen Pokemon, Meowth might have a shot. At least Sakurai acknowledges that Meowth is important. Meowth's Dojo page says Meowth is considered a major Pokemon and makes a big deal about Meowth not being in Melee and returning in Brawl. Meowth's trophy in Brawl is the only Pokemon trophy that talks about how famous it is.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I agree with Toise that saying G&W and ROB were wildcards is a bit off. While its true that few people expected them, and thus they certainly didn't get into due to popularity (Though ROB had a few people saying he should get in before the whole SSE thing was shown) I think its clear that they weren't just taken at random. Both characters have important ties to Nintendo's past, and that's what problably influenced their inclusion.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Gunpei Yokoi, the creator of the Game & Watch and the Game Boy, was also a close friend and something of a mentor to Sakurai before his death. Game & Watch could also be seen as something of a tribute to him and the time in Nintendo's history where "Mario" wasn't the first word that came to everyone's head, but mostly, Game & Watch is just an awesome character that shouldn't go anywhere.

BBQTV

Smash Master
Maybe no, but I don't want Smash to end up looking like this. But seriously, I am not interested in waiting for a game indefinitely. One to three delays may be enough but I don't want too many delays if it is just for characters, especially if they are clones or characters I had already played before in past Smash games.
wow that does look bad but i saw inuyasha;) i guess the roster size does matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom