• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Plenty of room for improvement...Which seeing the ammount of time they spent on in the first place, I'd rather not see it at all. It wasn't really that bad...As a platformer, but this is a fighting game, and event matches are surely something I'd like to see improvement on instead of a downgrade that have potential to making a story. (Seriously, Event Matches...Brawl...What was the good addition asides from co-op events? :laugh: )
I agree that Melee's events were much better than Brawl's. Brawl's seemed to be thrown together at the last minute just so that that all the characters could appear in some form.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How about the story mode is told like this:

The levels are like Melee's, taking inspiration from the games, complete with enemies from the games. The storyline is told before and after the matches (during in some cases) and a number of these matches are like event matches. For example, Lucas' storyline involves your attacks being disabled while fighting Claus with the Franklin Badge as your only weapon.

The story line would be more like traditional fighting games. Instead of one big story modes, you have several different subplots revolving around one big plot and you have to put all the pieces together. Also, the characters would not be trophies like the SSE, but the actual characters with their original storylines playing a role in the new ones.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I agree that Melee's events were much better than Brawl's. Brawl's seemed to be thrown together at the last minute just so that that all the characters could appear in some form.
Yeah....and don't get me started on break the targets.......

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
Now that you think of it...alot of Brawls aspects where just slopily thrown together.
You think it is becouse they wasted all of their time on SSE, and just did everything else last minute.
But that can't be, becouse even the last bits of SSE are thrown together.
So, you have to think. What where they working on?

I frackin hate how you UNLOCK EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER THROUGH SSE!
That isn't cool.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Now that you think of it...alot ofBrawls aspects where just slopily thrown together.
You think it is becouse they wasted all of their time on SSE, and just did everything else last minute.
But that can't be, becouse even the last bits of SSE are thrown together.
So, you have to think. What where they wprking on?
I would hope that all the time was not wasted on SSE, if it was then I have little faith left in the programmers lol. All the special event stuff sucked imo. And I miss race to the finish.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I really wish some of the characters in my wishlist had a chance of seeing some representation.

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
Lets see your wishlist.
I for one, am interested to know who everyone wants, so it will benefit us both.

Name the top ten

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lets see your wishlist.
I for one, am interested to know who everyone wants, so it will benefit us both.

Name the top ten
Ok
Not in any particular order

1. M-308 from metalstorm.....little known character, but cool nonetheless

2. Someone from castlevania. Either one of the early belmonts such as richer belmont or simon belmont. My top castlevania pick would be alucard (my current avie!!!) from symphony of the night. That's unlikely though since symphony of the night released on playstation and the belmonts were on the NES. Alucard would be a way cool unique pick though.

3. Mega man
4. Bomberman
5. New FE character
6. Viewtiful joe (pretty impossible he's already on marvel vs capcom 2)
7. Toad
8. Toon ganon
9. I wouldn't mind seeing mewtwo make a comeback
10. Any ninja-esqe person so sheik isn't the only ninja like character

I know a few of my list are viable. But most are not I fear

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
Ummm...number three is likely.....

Here is my ten

1. Little Mac
2. Isaac
3. Mewtwo
4. Demiru
5. Moddy Mole
6. Tingle
7. King K. Rool
8. Kamek
9. Shadow
10. Tom Nook

Mine are a BIT more likely than yours.....

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yes sadly I know most of mine are just pipe dreams. If I had to pick my top two out of those I'd have to pick my 1 and 2 on the list only because they would bring a uniqueness and new angle of fighting and they'd bring lot of new things to the table, and just think of the sweet assist trophies and items castlevania could bring....

M-308 would be freaking awesome. Don't know if you've ever heard of metal storm or not, but M-308's control of gravity would be a cool aspect to his game

Edit: lol tom nook. Poor racoon would be roadkill

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Anyone who've played TMNT Smash-Up think the next SSB should include some of Smash-Up's non-Brawl gimmicks (staggering, attacks clashing into tug-of-war struggles, off-the-wall attacks, Tag-Team)?

BBQTV

Smash Master
I sometimes wonder if the fanbase really knows what it wants. Most players have probably never played another fighting game so it's difficult to determine if they would want it because most have never touched one.

I also don't see the button mapping a problem. It's just a manner of adjusting to another controller, and it's not always easy.

I'm curious as to why there are fix speeds. Anymore than three seems pointless to me.
this wont ever happen ever never never ever arcade control would suck *** for smash for other fighters its fine for smash its not

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
Yay, someone besides me would like to see Toon Ganondorf, though he's not in my top 10, he's close.

Anyone wanna see my top 10?

Hey so Top 10's now?

No real order

1. Issac
2. Black Knight

No real Order from here on in

3. K. Rool
4. Tera
5. Eliwood (Volke would be my absolute first pick for New FE character though)
6. Andy
7. Toon Ganondorf (There ya go PMM :))
8. Balloon Fighter
9.Mach Rider
10. Mewtwo (Mr. mime would be my "any pokemon" that was asked before)

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
Hey, thanks Shino

My top 10 (some are very unrealistic)

Paper Mario #1!
(the rest are no particular order)
2.Isaac
3.Mia or Nephenee or Caineghis or Micaiah (FE ftw)
4.Mewtwo
5.Ridley
6.Skull Kid
7.Toon Ganondorf (:))
8.Vaati
I'm actually forgetting my top 10.....
9.Krystal
10.umm.......Megaman......or Bomberman....or Black Mage/Chocobo (which ever of the 4)

I think as unlikely as Toon Ganondorf is, He would let me keep regs ganon unchanged while giving everyone a new Ganondorf that fufills there wishes (weapons, projectiles, who cares, go crazy)

BBQTV

Smash Master
Hey, thanks Shino

My top 10 (some are very unrealistic)

Paper Mario #1!
(the rest are no particular order)
2.Isaac
3.Mia or Nephenee or Caineghis or Micaiah (FE ftw)
4.Mewtwo
5.Ridley
6.Skull Kid
7.Toon Ganondorf (:))
8.Vaati
I'm actually forgetting my top 10.....
9.Krystal
10.umm.......Megaman......or Bomberman....or Black Mage/Chocobo (which ever of the 4)
that doesn't seem unrealistic

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I sometimes wonder if the fanbase really knows what it wants. Most players have probably never played another fighting game so it's difficult to determine if they would want it because most have never touched one.
They do know what they want. The Gamecube controller is considered the standard by all fans.

One thing to remember is not to try and clump Smash in with other fighting games, as it moves to the beat of a different drum. The players probably wouldn't care too much for an arcade stick. Remember that Street Fighter 2 (the bases for all 2D fighters sans Smash Bros) was in the arcade, so a lot of people played with the arcade stick. It has almost become part of the series. It's also kind of to show off. An arcade stick is almost like buying a fancy car to show off. It says to others "Hey, I'm the real deal." People could play just as easily with a D-Pad or analog stick (I play Tatsunoko vs Capcom with the analog stick actually).

I also don't see the button mapping a problem. It's just a manner of adjusting to another controller, and it's not always easy.
It might not, but I see how it could be. Smash only needs three buttons: Attack, special and shield. All others are optional, but are still used. Throw, Smash stick, jump and taunt would all be options that can be done on a standard controller. The problem is they get really spaced out on an arcade stick. It works for fighting games as you tend to move though attacks, but Smash doesn't. Jump would be too far away. How could you do your smash stick? Throw is also in an awkward position. Plus, remember that Smash fans are use to where all the buttons are. They aren't that far off on a Classic Controller either.

I expect the Gamecube controller to be Smash's arcade stick. Companies will probably sell Gamecube like controllers for a Smash game.

How about the story mode is told like this:

The levels are like Melee's, taking inspiration from the games, complete with enemies from the games. The storyline is told before and after the matches (during in some cases) and a number of these matches are like event matches. For example, Lucas' storyline involves your attacks being disabled while fighting Claus with the Franklin Badge as your only weapon.

The story line would be more like traditional fighting games. Instead of one big story modes, you have several different subplots revolving around one big plot and you have to put all the pieces together. Also, the characters would not be trophies like the SSE, but the actual characters with their original storylines playing a role in the new ones.
One thing to remember is that that mode is more dependent on the story. The SSE could fall back on it's gameplay (which was the goal, to expand on Melee's adventure mode). The SSE was disliked because of the story above all else. It felt like a fan fiction (NOTE: when ever you are merging multiple game worlds, it's going to always feel like a fan fiction).

My idea was to make an adventure mode that had a minimal story and focused on the levels. Like, the story was Master Hand offered a challenged to anyone who could complete his challenge would be granted one wish and all the Nintendo characters go out and try to complete the challenged. One flaw I saw in the SSE was the levels revolved around the story sometime, so it made some levels feel bland or hard (because you lost that checkpoint on the second go). It's possible to do it right. People enjoyed Melee's adventure mode.

Sorry to pick on you so much Kuma.

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
that doesn't seem unrealistic
# 3 seems like it would never happen besides Micaiah, but the one I want most is strangely the sword user Mia because she's awesome in game and could be awesome but likely won't happen and she's be cloned if she got in, most likely.
Then there's Nephenee who is awesome like Mia, but uses a lance.
And Caineghis is most likely other than Micaiah because he's King of Lions, and of course he'd be cool.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Ignore this post. Trying to preview a set for MYM. Gah.

EDIT FOR TOPICALITY: Anyway, I agree with SmashChu that the SSE should be focused more on the gameplay rather than story. A generic evil that joins with Nintendo villians to conquer the world or something would work perfectly.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Exactly the point I'm trying to get on. Now why not take that mode again, but make it have more of a story and whatnot?

Presto! Replay Value! Easy to make and would please most people instead of going through a bunch of editing that would be most of development. Just imagine it: Wolf and Claus VS Lucas and Fox. I can probably think up a ton more.

Lets see your wishlist.

Name the top ten
Instead of just naming a top 10, I'll go with a top for each series... (And then a more Realistic one!)
Mario - Geno or Bowser Jr
LoZ - Vaati
Pokemon - Whoever the next rep is (I could be super-biased and say Smeargle!)
DK - K. Rool
Mother - Claus
Fire Emblem - Next Rep (Because only this and roy have a big shot)
Metroid - Ridley
F-Zero - Samurai Goroh
Retro (Starter) - Little Mac
Retro (WTF) - Sukapon
New Franchise - Isaac
New Franchise - Saki
Third-Party - Megaman
Third-Party - Chrono (To accompany geno :laugh: Or just a Square-Enix rep in general)

What I think Is likely for each series (Giving all series asides from Starfox and Kirby a bone :laugh:)
Mario - Toad (Geno/Bowser Jr still have chances, but toad seems more likely to me each day)
LoZ - Tingle
Pokemon - Next rep blah blah blah
DK - K. Rool
Mother - Claus
Fire Emblem - Next Rep
Metroid - Ridley
F-Zero - Samurai Goroh
Retro (Starter) - Little Mac
Retro (WTF) - Sukapon
New Franchise - Isaac
New Franchise - Saki (Well, Chibi-Robo/Ray 01 are also possibilities...Nobody can predict this one)
Third-Party - Megaman
Third-Party - Travis Touchdown (See: Article of him. After snake, I really doubt sakurai will say no. If not him then who else? Well, there's other possibilities still I suppose...Square Enix rep would be awesome)

@Tre Koops
Third party: Who esle? What about Bomberman, he's had a longer run with nintendo (most of his games were on the nintendo consoles). The only think Travis has is recentness, which will be lost by the time SSB4 is develpoed

BBQTV

Smash Master
Ignore this post. Trying to preview a set for MYM. Gah.

EDIT FOR TOPICALITY: Anyway, I agree with SmashChu that the SSE should be focused more on the gameplay rather than story. A generic evil that joins with Nintendo villians to conquer the world or something would work perfectly.
that works fine i told an idea like that to my friend and said i was not original and i say have you ever played a mario game :laugh:
@Tre Koops
Third party: Who esle? What about Bomberman, he's had a longer run with nintendo (most of his games were on the nintendo consoles). The only think Travis has is recentness, which will be lost by the time SSB4 is develpoed
travis is getting a squel coming soon i wouldn't say such a thing

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
I think they should have a good story for the *insert new title of Story Mode here* but not go over board.
How 'bout the villains are collecting energy from all the different universes (don't blame if this is terrible, I've barely thought about this) This way you played through a level in your home "universe" and then you some how get transported to the "Smash" universe trying to stop the villain that started it in your universe/time.
This way we get places based from the actual games and this way we can merge stuff like Toon Link and Paper Mario into the Story

This is kinda a short version but hey, I'm not gonna make a wall of text

travis is getting a squel coming soon i wouldn't say such a thing
OOOOO pardon me, 2 whole games? What a tank, I should really start considering him.

Oh...wait, Bomberman has well over 15 games, most of them appeared on the Snes-Gamecube systems as well as the portable systems.

He was one of the pioneers of Multiplayer games (There weren't very many truly multi-player party stylegames before Bomberman, who revolutionized the multiplayer scene.

Smash is a fighting/party game which focuses on multiplayer. Bomberman was a party game that fouces on multiplayer (See a connection?). If megaman wasn;t so **** popular, I think Bomberman would make it in over him.

Travis touchdown appeared on the wii...only....cool guy

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Bomberman doesn't seem...well good enough if you ask me. He's a important video game character sure, but not really up there with Sonic and Snake. Now Travis isn't either, don't get me wrong, and I don't think either should get in, but the fact that Travis is topical, and that Suda 51 has expressed interest about him getting into Smash, may raise his chances over Bomberman, in spite of Bomberman's history.

BBQTV

Smash Master
OOOOO pardon me, 2 whole games? What a tank, I should really start considering him.

Oh...wait, Bomberman has well over 15 games, most of them appeared on the Snes-Gamecube systems as well as the portable systems.

He was one of the pioneers of Multiplayer games (There weren't very many truly multi-player party stylegames before Bomberman, who revolutionized the multiplayer scene.

Smash is a fighting/party game which focuses on multiplayer. Bomberman was a party game that fouces on multiplayer (See a connection?). If megaman wasn;t so **** popular, I think Bomberman would make it in over him.

Travis touchdown appeared on the wii...only....cool guy
bomberman ant getting in point blank to most if not all people he would be a lol wut character and i think that should stop and besides if travis gets in he'll get in the same way as snake

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
R.O.B doesn't seem...well good enough if you ask me. He's an important video game character sure but, not really up there with Mario and Link. Why did he get put in? Why can't Bomberman be put in? He does have a Wii game.

Has he ever had a non-Nintendo console video game?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
bomberman ant getting in point blank to most if not all people he would be a lol wut character and i think that should stop and besides if travis gets in he'll get in the same way as snake
Snake didn't get in because he's violent, he got in because the creator of MGS is buddies with Sakurai.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They do know what they want. The Gamecube controller is considered the standard by all fans.

One thing to remember is not to try and clump Smash in with other fighting games, as it moves to the beat of a different drum. The players probably wouldn't care too much for an arcade stick. Remember that Street Fighter 2 (the bases for all 2D fighters sans Smash Bros) was in the arcade, so a lot of people played with the arcade stick. It has almost become part of the series. It's also kind of to show off. An arcade stick is almost like buying a fancy car to show off. It says to others "Hey, I'm the real deal." People could play just as easily with a D-Pad or analog stick (I play Tatsunoko vs Capcom with the analog stick actually).
I must be the exception to that postulate considering that I use Wiimote+Nunchaku ever since the game came out. However, I also conceived my personal controls for it back when the Wiimote+Nunchaku was first revealed. It was hard to go back to the GC controller.

An arcade stick is more than you think. Your execution can improve exponentially with an arcade stick if you have the patience. Ask the C. Viper players and they will tell you a stick is needed in order to master her.

It might not, but I see how it could be. Smash only needs three buttons: Attack, special and shield. All others are optional, but are still used. Throw, Smash stick, jump and taunt would all be options that can be done on a standard controller. The problem is they get really spaced out on an arcade stick. It works for fighting games as you tend to move though attacks, but Smash doesn't. Jump would be too far away. How could you do your smash stick? Throw is also in an awkward position. Plus, remember that Smash fans are use to where all the buttons are. They aren't that far off on a Classic Controller either.

I expect the Gamecube controller to be Smash's arcade stick. Companies will probably sell Gamecube like controllers for a Smash game.
Funny, I would say a Jump button is a necessity. You could argue that going up on the stick would be the solution, but it can lead to accidental jumps instead of tilts. Regarding your spacing concern, it's more than likely due to me adjusting to one, but if mapped right, it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Let me know what you think of this.
BYLZ1
AXRZ2

Your fingers are placed like this: Thumb on A with with your next three fingers on the top three. You bring down your middle and ring fingers down to X and R when necessary.

The controls would be the same, but you now have the option to perform grabs and tether attacks with A+B.

Note, these controls are set up in the event that nothing like a super meter (which we can discuss if you're willing) system (albeit Smashified) is added to the system.

Why would companies be willing to make GC controllers just for one game? I'd only expect Nintendo to do this kind of thing.

One thing to remember is that that mode is more dependent on the story. The SSE could fall back on it's gameplay (which was the goal, to expand on Melee's adventure mode). The SSE was disliked because of the story above all else. It felt like a fan fiction (NOTE: when ever you are merging multiple game worlds, it's going to always feel like a fan fiction).
Kingdom Hearts managed to do it, but this involved introducing original characters into the mix.

My idea was to make an adventure mode that had a minimal story and focused on the levels. Like, the story was Master Hand offered a challenged to anyone who could complete his challenge would be granted one wish and all the Nintendo characters go out and try to complete the challenged. One flaw I saw in the SSE was the levels revolved around the story sometime, so it made some levels feel bland or hard (because you lost that checkpoint on the second go). It's possible to do it right. People enjoyed Melee's adventure mode.
This is similar to what I had in mind, but I would have it written in a way that it fits the characters. I wouldn't expect Samus to be in this for a wish granted aside from the resurrection of her parents. I'd put something like a distress signal or something like Metroid Prime Hunters.

Sorry to pick on you so much Kuma.
Don't worry about it. Despite how frustrating these conversations can be, it's better than discussing characters for the umpteenth time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom