• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Malcolm's Sonic is heavily oriented around mindgames. When I use Sonic and when he uses Sonic its a stark contrast because he is much more into feintsand usage of dash dancing than I am and it works well.

perhaps Sonic is a character who is best taken to extremes when it comes to behavior?

SonicX580

Smash Lord
LOL the one time I didn't give you a sarcastic response, you suspect it :laugh:
congrats on level up.

edit:
ohh, i just realized that wasn't really a sig >_>

ROOOOY:
nightvision one more time, I updated it XD

No, there's no Empire City :[
Well that's good to know and the sig thing you said I thought it was sarcaism anyways thanks also I getting Sonic unleashed for christmas (not really sure though).

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
I want a general public opinion. Which move is worse, Homing Attack or Fthrow? Non-wifi lol.

Have to go with Homing Attack >_>

i say they both are really good moves if used right. HA can really help you sometimes, and fthrow, like KID's CG is too good. I can catch people with it sometimes, but usually have to toss in a Side B cancel. I cant really say they are bad moves, sorry, ROOOOY! :(
How come Malcolm is so good at mindgaming? :dizzy:

SonicX580

Smash Lord
I want a general public opinion. Which move is worse, Homing Attack or Fthrow? Non-wifi lol.

Have to go with Homing Attack >_>

i say they both are really good moves if used right. HA can really help you sometimes, and fthrow, like KID's CG is too good. I can catch people with it sometimes, but usually have to toss in a Side B cancel. I cant really say they are bad moves, sorry, ROOOOY! :(
How come Malcolm is so good at mindgaming? :dizzy:
Well Sonicmaster5 HA is kinda better than F-throw because it's kinda delayed attack ex. tornado(MK) and it's good for recovery also Malcolm is good probably because he has alot of exp. with Sonic because in order to unlock Sonic's true power you have to have alot of exp. like playing Sonic for a long time ex. being in full syncro with Sonic well I hope that answered your question but in case it didn't somebody else got a opninon?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well Sonicmaster5 HA is kinda better than F-throw because it's kinda delayed attack ex. tornado(MK) and it's good for recovery also Malcolm is good probably because he has alot of exp. with Sonic because in order to unlock Sonic's true power you have to have alot of exp. like playing Sonic for a long time ex. being in full syncro with Sonic well I hope that answered your question but in case it didn't somebody else got a opninon?
..?????

How many times do you need someone to dodge your HA and send you too low to recover, jump off and drag your Homing Attack off stage to gimp you, pull you under the stage to set up stage spikes, pull your Homing Attack into charged U-smashes, Falcon Punches, and Ganondorf F-smashes before you get the point that Homing Attack is NOT a good nor reliable recovery option?

On wifi it might be good because your opponent will have delayed reaction time or might not know how to completely destroy HA, but seriously, it's not good.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Stalling and when you don't what it to lock since it sends Sonic some distance forwards anyways?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Tenki, there are good situations to use HA for recovery.
  • If your opponent is in a bind to recover, and you know that they aren't able to airdodge, or use another means to punish you for your HA. Preferably after they've used an up-B or side-B to recover.

• If you're behind a wall, like if you're low on Yoshi's Island. If you're out of range or if they dodge, you can gain height by just bouncing off the wall; if they're not right at the edge of the stage and it does lock-on, you'll bounce near the upper-part of the stage, and likely be still protected by the wall, and/or a safe distance to not get punished for the HA.

• You're fighting Ice Climbers, and the HA will lock onto Nana :laugh:

• Your opponent's stuck in lag, long enough that you're safe to use the HA.

• You're far enough from the opponent that you know it won't lock-on; the HA's unlocked drop still gives you a reasonable amount of horizontal distance, that can either save you, or just give you more options for doing your real recovery afterwards (with your midair jump and/or Spring).

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Don't use HA for recovery ever.
Like Chis, you would have beaten me probably in some games, but for Homing Attack. Like, the Sonic ditto on Delfino Plaza, two of your deaths were from me exploiting your Homing Attack's lameness.

Seriously, you'd be a better player without it.

:093:

Tenki

Smash Hero
  • If your opponent is in a bind to recover, and you know that they aren't able to airdodge, or use another means to punish you for your HA. Preferably after they've used an up-B or side-B to recover.
  • If you're behind a wall, like if you're low on Yoshi's Island. If you're out of range or if they dodge, you can gain height by just bouncing off the wall; if they're not right at the edge of the stage and it does lock-on, you'll bounce near the upper-part of the stage, and likely be still protected by the wall, and/or a safe distance to not get punished for the HA.
  • You're fighting Ice Climbers, and the HA will lock onto Nana :laugh:
  • You're far enough from the opponent that you know it won't lock-on; the HA's unlocked drop still gives you a reasonable amount of horizontal distance, that can either save you, or just give you more options for doing your real recovery afterwards (with your midair jump and/or Spring).
1) Following opponent recoveries is usually good, as long as it's not an invincible recovery or a double jump.
2) Exploitable by an opponent on the edge if they jump off-stage and fast fall (you go upwards, go into 'dead time' fall, and most likely get B-aired away from the stage, if not spiked.
3) Reverse U-smash :<
4) Yes.
5) HA's rise, non-lock trajectory, and 'dead time' fall are actually slightly worse than just holding forward the whole time with Sonic. If you're absolutely out of range, then yeah, you can use it to slow down/stall your fall. If your opponent can jump into range, then watch out :<

That narrows it to two:

and the second is more of an on-stage thing than a recovery thing.

Tenki

Smash Hero
does it really?

I've been waiting for Falcon Punch frame data forever lol.

then I can go over to the Falcon boards and make a case for more Falcon Punch use.

Browny

Smash Hater
yesterday i hit a fox from 0% with FIVE consectutive d-tilts, all perfectly spaced so he landed right into the next one :D

it was sexy

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
I've fell in love with Sonic for Brawl all over again. Started using him a lot more recently, cause Sonic UNleashed gave me a bit of a Sonic rush again. (I dont mean the DS game)

Had that moment again.. ya know the one.. when your playing and then all of a sudden.. "Whoa.. Sonic is actually in Super Smash Bros..." and then you just smile. Hahaha

SonicX580

Smash Lord
I've fell in love with Sonic for Brawl all over again. Started using him a lot more recently, cause Sonic UNleashed gave me a bit of a Sonic rush again. (I dont mean the DS game)

Had that moment again.. ya know the one.. when your playing and then all of a sudden.. "Whoa.. Sonic is actually in Super Smash Bros..." and then you just smile. Hahaha
Good for you SiegK recently my fellings brawl kinda died.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Ironically enough, I had one of those recently and started using him more(though I haven't gotten Unleashed yet).

EDIT: This doesn't mean I'm not opposed to the idea of Sonic being in Brawl. That will never end. Rid-lee > S4VVN1K, rubs me the wrong way, etc etc.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I watched it, and lol that guy sucks. He like, almost never runs with the werehog. That makes the game SOOO much slower :<

He also sucked at aiming and complained about how the hit magnet or whatever wasn't good.
It's only accurate for the Wii version.

As werehog, he also didn't do things like guardcancelling attacks, which makes the werehog mode fun sometimes, because you're busy messing around trying to do tech-skill-heavy combos with dash attack and jab cancels. LOL.
I didn't know about that until I unlocked a hint or something, and I had lots of fun screwing around with it :laugh:

The 360 version is a completely different game that (at least, for the day parts) brings Sonic justice with long(er) levels, more daytime stages, and platform, AS Sonic (not werehog).

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQiTqmfCFk (360)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bmfm-RMRaQ&fmt=18 (Wii)

lol I feel so gipped every time I watch a video from the 360 version.

:[

/offtopic.

so, running, shield stopping > immediate backwards shorthop looks pretty weird.

Also, (separate note), try releasing the control stick right before you jump, even when doing RAR.

It's pretty good for spacing.

Tenki

Smash Hero
seriously, it almost required more tech skill than brawl.

except it wasn't required, and the fights are generally easy enough to not do it.

but hey, it's fun :3

B_AWAL

Smash Master
It cancels your attack altogether, no matter what part of the move you're in, as long as you're on the ground.

If Sonic had that in Brawl, oh man.
So ur the great Tenki that FUCT told me about... Pleasure to meet U!!! I challenge U 2 a duel!!! :-3

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
In the Wifi thread. You have to contribute meaningfull and intelligent posts before you can fight him..

Tenki

Smash Hero
Not really lol.

I'll play if you get in touch with me some time over the weekend, or afterwards, since break starts this weekend for me.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
In the Wifi thread. You have to contribute meaningfull and intelligent posts before you can fight him..
Sorry, I just didn't wanna say anything ******** seeing that there are already 1022 pages worth of conversation I doubt that there's anything healthy that I can donate to this thread. All I kno is that whenever I play Sonic I constantly imagine that there is a Sonic player far better than I and that motivates me to get better. I didn't have any1 to look up 2 until I heard about Tenki. Therefore Tenki = My Hero = best Sonic Player I kno of = My Hero = Person I Really wanna be better than = person that's gonna help me bring Sonic to mid tier.

but seriously..... theres no way in H*LL I'm reading 1022 pages so I know what to say. I can say that Kirby isn't much of a problem :-) unless they know how to mindgame fsmash and double downB. Also, Blu ball canceling is hilarious when people have no idea it's coming. And I also love the fact that since all of Sonic's spinballing attacks make the same sound it a fun mindgame.

Sonic Unleashed = Massive amounts of fun w/ Gamecube controller. Congrats to Sega for getting it right, at least halfway, cuz daytime stages are a F***ing blast! Nightime = Massively tedious and I wish I aint have to do it.

Happy???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom