• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
True, but bring yourself to understand that they were the same speed cause the limits of the games back then.
We all know Sonic is the iconic super speed character, but given the SEGA G. games, they did onto Knuckles and Tails as they did to Sonic.
You are actually wrong siegk. For example loo at the specs n the wii. it is only slightly more powerful than the gamecube.
Considering that we had games like burnoout and burnout 2 or burnout 3 al of which provided an incredible sense of speed, on the PS2.

they were simply lazy and wanted to focus on whatever mishmash they were thinking at the time. =(

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
You are actually wrong siegk. For example loo at the specs n the wii. it is only slightly more powerful than the gamecube.
Considering that we had games like burnoout and burnout 2 or burnout 3 al of which provided an incredible sense of speed, on the PS2.

they were simply lazy and wanted to focus on whatever mishmash they were thinking at the time. =(
It's actually twice as powerful as the Gamecube IIRC.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
You are actually wrong siegk.

Actually ShadowLink, I'm never wrong. And this time is no acception. Because if you look back, I wasnt talking about Wii and GameCube. I was referring to the SEGA Genesis.
And Knuckles kind of did, too, though I think he was slower in S3/K.
S3/K = Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Note: Read between the lines.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Since I got verbally abused by over ten Sonic mains, I've decided to keep this open.

Guys-- BRAWL SONIC DISCUSSION ONLY. The only reason I reopened it is because I didn't give a fair warning.

Do not stray off topic. If you do, this will stay closed.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Alright... Umm we took a heavy hit. But I talked to Xsyven and I'm not saying he gave in or I won or whatever. But he did give us another chance.
He made it pretty clear that if we dont talk Sonic Brawl more, we're closed for good.

So.. less Sonic old stuff and if ya have Sonic Unleashed info, if ya wanna post it. Make sure ya have something to say about Sonic in Brawl too. or something.

The Walls have eyes..

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
If you guys wanna talk about Sonic Unleashed, you can always make a thread in the Light House. >_> You know... just a thought.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Thought about it, but this thread has been open for such a long time. And a lot of us have good memories in this thread during the character battles on Pre-Brawl and the 'Prophets'.
Maybe thats why we're so reluctant to start a new thread, it'd be like garring a new grandfather cause yours was too old and couldnt take you places anymore.
-Some vets stop by now and again.
Well keep it on topic.

Like I dunno if you guys remember, but back in the day before Sonic was in (a good few months b4) I made a kick @$$ move list for him. Sprites and everything. Made a few Level ideas our of ols Sonic game Sprites.
None f which game true in Brawl, but maybe one. But I had the loop as part of the level, not just the background. XD

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
this could be our little hiding spot to formulate a plan for the steak room to overtake the sbr.

and to keep this post more relevant, spring canceled aerials

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
*sigh* Poor chat room...How did I miss this?

So, a question to all of you. As we know, Sonic is currently in low tier according to The Official SBR Tier list version 1.0. Do you believe that he is incorrectly placed? Considering the impressive tournament results Sonic has been getting despite being dubbed a bad character in the game, where do you think Sonic will end up in the next/final tier list?

I'm trying, you have to give me that...

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If the sonic game discussion thread warrants a close, surely threads such as this

http://www.smashboards.com/showthrea...186504&page=69

do too. The only thing they have in common, is not being 100% related to brawl. thats it.

Good sh*t Sonic boards.

Oh...and your thread got re-opened?

*cracks knuckles

I'm gonna have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun tormenting all of you for quite sometime. Did I say tormenting? I meant to say, using my knowledge to...uhhhh..guide you all and make your community even stronger. Hehe.

Oh...and you have your dear dear friend djbrowny to thank. Good **** repping Sonic/Lucario in Australia by the way. Way to go Champ.

Let's hear it for this guy!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Was that evil laughter? My bad. It was supposed to be applause.

Actually no it wasn't. I was just fu*king with you.

Cya later guys.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Good sh*t Sonic boards.

Oh...and your thread got re-opened?

*cracks knuckles

I'm gonna have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun tormenting all of you for quite sometime. Did I say tormenting? I meant to say, using my knowledge to...uhhhh..guide you all and make your community even stronger. Hehe.

Oh...and you have your dear dear friend djbrowny to thank. Good **** repping Sonic/Lucario in Australia by the way. Way to Champ.

Let's hear for this guy!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Was that evil laughter? My bad. It was supposed to be applause.

Actually no it wasn't. I was just fu*king with you.

Cya later guys.
Let's see...
Very little to do with Sonic at all, very little to with Brawl Sonic, filled with one liners, lots of caps throughout the sentances...

I believe an infraction/ban is called for

:064:

Oh btw, is there a thread where I can find info on frame data for Sonic? I'm curious as to what comes out when

infomon

Smash Scientist
Emblem Lord: yeah, your chat thread proves that you are a welcome member of the Sonic boards :laugh:

(Note: that's also the only thread where I've received an infraction :psycho:)

Spring-cancelled aerials: I can never get a set-up for them. Except maybe Luigi's Mansion, spring under the roof is too good, but even that's used against me more often than not. Any advice?

Edit: I need frame data for Sonic's side-taunt, I've heard it's a great combo-starter. jk, jk

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Spring cancelled aerials as in landing on the spring whilst performing an aerial? I got that right didn't I?

My only use for them is to throw people off who try and punish me for using Spring ---> Dair. Dair back onto the Spring then Dair into them or get away from them so I won't get punished

Tenki

Smash Hero
*sigh* Poor chat room...How did I miss this?

So, a question to all of you. As we know, Sonic is currently in low tier according to The Official SBR Tier list version 1.0. Do you believe that he is incorrectly placed? Considering the impressive tournament results Sonic has been getting despite being dubbed a bad character in the game, where do you think Sonic will end up in the next/final tier list?

I'm trying, you have to give me that...
Don't bring that discussion up. Ever.

It's irreverent to this thread.

fraeking m*gik*rps.

btw. I really hope the locks didn't re-kill Sonic boards. >_>

We're freaking discussing Metaknight in the matchup thread, and I want more participation.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok, I will hold back my immense cynicism and sarcasm to ask a simple question.

How come you guys don't just talk about the **** that wins?

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Ok, I will hold back my immense cynicism and sarcasm to ask a simple question.

How come you guys don't just talk about the **** that wins?
Because we've been through everything there is to talk about 234235456245 times.
Brawl is shallow as hell, we can't do anything about that.
To be honest, we do talk about clever stuff quite a lot, it's just all gets pushed off first page fast because there's too much spam cropping up.

Btw, dtilt is amazing

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
We actually do talk about the "**** that wins", but because we are sonic mains talking about sonic, we are neglected.

I can't speak for the entire board, but it's more than his spot on the list (which i personally don't care about), its the idea that one character is neglected that is better than half the cast, that gets pushed down because hes sonic.

you sbrs should at least take a little bit of time from your random arguments you have in the back room and try and take a look at the characters you're ranking before you actually do them. EL, you know that list we have now is so wrong, that it came out to early, and you didn't know enough as a group

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I take no responsibility for that list as I did not participate in it's discussion or the voting.

And anyway..you don't need know list to tell you what a character is capable of.

Sonic is still Sonic regardless of where he is ranked. He has his pros and his cons.

And I like Sonic's d-tilt too.

You guys need frame data.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I take no responsibility for that list as I did not participate in it's discussion or the voting.

And anyway..you don't need know list to tell you what a character is capable of.

Sonic is still Sonic regardless of where he is ranked. He has his pros and his cons.

And I like Sonic's d-tilt too.

You guys need frame data.
Ehh who cares about the tier list?
It was just a bit insulting after everyone's hard work keeping Sonic in Ankoku's thread like high twenties like every month except the first few where no one knew what they were doing, for some of the SBR to say "lol sonic sux adn haz dun nothing, 5th bottum lololol"
Oh well.

You're right with dtilt, it's lovely.

And frame data like this?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196148

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Odd request time!

Yes, this is weird, but...

Does anyone know where I can download Sonic's sounds in Brawl but the ones in the Japanese version?
Thanks.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
(Goes to the thread, facepalms and come back out)

A few people are acting like there status is giving them power over there :o

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
you guys should help me out in the sbr podcast thread. i need support
I've seen you fight, criticize, and insult. I don't have any intention on supporting you in that topic. However, I will go to that topic sometime soon and fight on behalf of Sonic's game. I don't think he belongs in the tier he's in, but he most certainly does not belong in Top or high, as I've seen some people suggest. He belongs right smack-dab in the middle.

He has some faltering priority in many attacks, and his range leaves much to be desired. On the flip side, he has the speed and options to turn the tide of any fight. He can approach his opponent in a multitude of different ways, and can get to anywhere he wants in less then a few seconds.

Quite frankly though, I think the main problem that the SBR has with Sonic is not the character, but the people playing him. I've seen some... less then stellar people try and defend Sonic's game, spewing their opinions as fact. If we could have one person who is amazing with Sonic would could speak for the Sonic forums, instead of a bunch of people talking about how their Sonic ***** their friend's characters(or online), I think we'd have a much better time getting the SBR to listen to us.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm gonna go for the tier list bait, since I don't get it.... SuperTH, if you think Sonic should be in the middle, who would you put below him? As much as I appreciate the good attributes that Sonic has, I suspect that you're underestimating the depth of ability available in his opponent's arsenals.

ex. Bowser is good. Bad matchup against Sonic most likely, but in general, Bowser's quite good. IMO.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I've seen you fight, criticize, and insult. I don't have any intention on supporting you in that topic. However, I will go to that topic sometime soon and fight on behalf of Sonic's game. I don't think he belongs in the tier he's in, but he most certainly does not belong in Top or high, as I've seen some people suggest. He belongs right smack-dab in the middle.
we don't care about the tier list
Generally, tier-list crusaders don't really do anything for Sonic in terms of metagame, actual character discussion, or character understanding. If you win with Sonic, you win with Sonic. The tier list doesn't and never has affected that.

Part of the outcry is that the character discussion didn't do any justice to the character nor the people who helped develop the metagame for the character.

Oh look! It's the SBR character discussion! These guys really know what they're talking about! I wanna learn about... Sonic!

hm...
Okay, here's some stuff about the hint of the week. And oh, he seems to be underrated by higher level players and only the best with him will be able to pull off amazing things. lol he's "good in the hands of a good player", just like any character... hahaha.
Oh okay, finally some information! So... Metaknight D-tilt shuts off all of Sonic's moves, and his dash attack doesn't pick up bananas, and he has some tricks, but iono. Maybe these tricks don't really exist. What? Sonic can grab from a spindash? lol that's weird. Hm... more about Metaknight's D-tilt. Oh what?! Anther got destroyed by a Metaknight spamming D-tilt? I heard Anther's really really good! Wow, this character is pointless.

He has some faltering priority in many attacks, and his range leaves much to be desired. On the flip side, he has the speed and options to turn the tide of any fight. He can approach his opponent in a multitude of different ways, and can get to anywhere he wants in less then a few seconds.
bring that to your average joe who doesn't main Sonic:
1 - Priority means alot in Brawl. Sonic lacks it.
2 - Speed doesn't mean anything in Brawl! Example: Snake is slow but he has priority, so he beats like, everyone. Attack speed means something, and Sonic lacks it.
3 - vague stuff that can apply to anything lol.

See, I've argued that priority/speed thing before. People bring up "reverse" examples like Snake to show why speed doesn't mean **** in Brawl.

Quite frankly though, I think the main problem that the SBR has with Sonic is not the character, but the people playing him. I've seen some... less then stellar people try and defend Sonic's game, spewing their opinions as fact. If we could have one person who is amazing with Sonic would could speak for the Sonic forums, instead of a bunch of people talking about how their Sonic ***** their friend's characters(or online), I think we'd have a much better time getting the SBR to listen to us.
..?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202190
Read the first few pages, before it became general discussion and we charbroiled it with steak. You really think it's the people playing him? They throw around so many vague phrases that don't really highlight much about his actual gameplay. Some of them are blatantly wrong. Dash attacks. Really?

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Bowser's good, but nowhere near mid mid tier.
A few places above Sonic though maybe.

Who would I put below Sonic?
Everyone in low tier bar Ness + maybe Sheik.
Ike. (I know that'll be refuted, but IDC. I know Ike well enough, I use him too. I'd say he's only one place below Sonic >_<)

But idc still about the tier list.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Generally, tier-list crusaders don't really do anything for Sonic in terms of metagame, actual character discussion, or character understanding. If you win with Sonic, you win with Sonic. The tier list doesn't and never has affected that.

Part of the outcry is that the character discussion didn't do any justice to the character nor the people who helped develop the metagame for the character.
There are those out there who, after watching you pick Sonic, turn to you with the stupidest grin on their face. When asked why, I was given the answer, "Sonic sucks, this is an easy win". And many get this information by getting a passing view of the tier list. I only want Sonic higher up to stop the hate. (Abolishing said tier list works to, but meh.)

Oh look! It's the SBR character discussion! These guys really know what they're talking about! I wanna learn about... Sonic!

hm...
Okay, here's some stuff about the hint of the week. And oh, he seems to be underrated by higher level players and only the best with him will be able to pull off amazing things. lol he's "good in the hands of a good player", just like any character... hahaha.
Oh okay, finally some information! So... Metaknight D-tilt shuts off all of Sonic's moves, and his dash attack doesn't pick up bananas, and he has some tricks, but iono. Maybe these tricks don't really exist. What? Sonic can grab from a spindash? lol that's weird. Hm... more about Metaknight's D-tilt. Oh what?! Anther got destroyed by a Metaknight spamming D-tilt? I heard Anther's really really good! Wow, this character is pointless.
I lol'd.
bring that to your average joe who doesn't main Sonic:
1 - Priority means alot in Brawl. Sonic lacks it.
2 - Speed doesn't mean anything in Brawl! Example: Snake is slow but he has priority, so he beats like, everyone. Attack speed means something, and Sonic lacks it.
3 - vague stuff that can apply to anything lol.

See, I've argued that priority/speed thing before. People bring up "reverse" examples like Snake to show why speed doesn't mean **** in Brawl.
Speed can mean a lot in Brawl, but I don't mean speed so much as mobility. Start up and ending lag are things to look out for against a Sonic, because they can fly in for a quick grab or something just as good.

And... just because Mario's face is under my name, I am a Sonic main, and I'm a bloody good Brawler. Does that mean I'm a pro? No. I won't blind myself by saying I'll ever be one, but I am competitive and looking for ways to enhance my game. I do know that I'm one step closer to being one, seeing as I've beaten the winner of every local tournament I've been to.

And yes, the horrid speak of 'local tournaments'. I don't put a lot of faith in them, but if you are good enough to beat them, then you are normally good enough to go to a big tournament and not suck worse then anyone has ever seen.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202190
Read the first few pages, before it became general discussion and we charbroiled it with steak. You really think it's the people playing him? They throw around so many vague phrases that don't really highlight much about his actual gameplay. Some of them are blatantly wrong. Dash attacks. Really?
Still reading as I type. Interesting discussion. I can't wait until I go to my first big tournament(To be owned in two rounds, sure, but... well, you should see the other guy!), So I can get some actual honest-to-goodness legitimate practice in.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's really Sonic's lack of options of overall and the fact that he can't create situations where he can get easy kills.

If Sonic had slightly better tilts and one decent kill move he would be high tier easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom