• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Olimar Stage Discussion

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Thank you for taking the time to explain that, dabuz.

Denti

Smash Master
this and pictochat are probably my most underused CPs, they just don't fit my style of olimar. but ill try marth there just to experiment i guess, i usualy would take him to RC. thx olimar community!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
So is this going to move along, Hilt? I do believe the requirements specified have been met.
We've also been on this stage for... 21 days, I believe.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Haha figured you'd be saying that soon. Alright, next stage? What's it gonna be guys? I think we're down to Rainbow Cruise, Pictochat, and Pokemon Stadium 2. There are a few other stages as well that we could do. If Green Greens stays in the stage list for the remainder of the MLG circuit, I plan to get it taken care of soon. I'm still holding off on Delfino. Oh, there's Japes as well. What's everyone want?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I vote Pictochat.
Rainbow Cruise is old news and nobody really plays on PS2.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
let's get this **** underway (h)

Definitely one of my favorite stages, and one that I cp more than almost anything else. I'll explain while after others have talked because I don't want to hog the discussion :p

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
I might be completely wrong and off base butttt

I really like going to Pictochat because our throws can really force people into obstacles. Like upthrowing into the missles or plant thing lol

Also when the line gets drawn diagonally across with those to eyes, if you get them stuck in the spot where the line just starts next to the ledge you can continually spam fsmashes and it's tough for people to move. I rack up a lot of damage when i get people in there.

Definitely a fun stage!

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
We practice with all counterpicks on on random at our smashfests so I'm mad used to this stage. If I was planning on picking FD which happens somewhat often (certain MK's, characters with no projectiles basically), pick pictochat instead, it's worth practicing. It's as big as FD, and the stage changes usually benefit Olimar.

- The sideways kill zone is way more thin than FD so earlier fsmash, fthrow, bthrow, and fair kills. This also means that there is very little gimping that will occur, people will die up left or right. The ledge is also weirdly shaped but it usually works to my advantage in one way or another. If you hang low enough they can't really see what you're doing, so the 'ol sit in tether -> hit a -> immediatly drop -> hit up b -> drop down by hitting down on left thumb stick -> rising forward air out of second jump.
- Face guy - can be combo'd off of.
- Pyramid thing - the thing that sort of traps you in when it spawns on you. If you spawn in one of the squares and your opponent isn't in the structure, you can not be hit if you position yourself correctly. You can still up-b.
- The wind - doesn't really do that big of a deal to either player.
- The venus flytrap - people can be thrown into this very easily.
- The million platforms everywhere one - I'm so used to this one that I can do sick pluck cancels \ fairs \ dairs off of them. Worst case scenario just camp the ground with pivots because they can't really get you in the air.
- The spikes on the sides - can be thrown into very easily esp at kill percents.
- The missiles - holy **** up throw into these. They take sooooo much damage it's redic.
- The spikes that come up from the ground - don't bother approaching your opponent. Just camp in your section. If anything just jump and side b to try to get your opponent to approach you from the top (**** them asically). You can test diff approaches and stuff, but in tournament the risk involved in doing it isn't worth it because if they read your approach which isn't very hard you will get combo'd to ****.
- The house - nothing special just don't suck.
- The clock - Up smash combo people off of it, up throw at any percent on it so they for sure go str8 up. Don't get tornado'd under it or you're going to have a luigi's mansion situation on your hand.
- The huge line that blocks people in the left side - if you start on top of it and they are under it, be very very very very safe in your descent to the bottom. Once you've figured out a safe way to get down there (which is what you should be tryin to do), try to use pressure and clever mindgames to get them stuck in that tight left corner. In that corner you can lock them in with fsmash or jab.
- There's another one similar to the missiles one where you don't have to stress about being hit by them because you take like 1-2 dmg from them.
-

Can't think of any more transformations off of the top of my head. I might have gotten all of them.

dahighii

Smash Apprentice
For some reason the wind here always gives me trouble; I'm always struggling to keep Oli on the stage and it really messes up my concentration. Any tips for this transformation?

Anyways, Oli's grabs work beautifully for getting other players into obstacles like the fireballs, the rockets, that swinging cart in the halfpipe; he can basically hit anything that at 45 degree behind him (up throw can usually reach this in front of him, I love getting piranha plant kills like this [or whatever that thing is])

The many platforms transformation is like uair heaven; just down throw (or up throw at low percents) to get other players up there and go to town, uair is awesome all by itself and this just makes it fantastic.

I also like that there are drawings that appear on the side, like the ledges and the springs; these make recovery for Oli SOOO much better. Most of the time Oli's kills don't come from just keeping people away from the ledge, so in most matchups this is a definite plus for Oli without much for the other player.

Oh yea, whenever I get stuck inside of one of the transformations that's outwards-movement-only (like the pyramid and boat) I usually try to throw pikmin first, then once the other player starts avoiding those I go in for an unexpected fair/uair/whatever works

I don't care for the stationary head one too much though. It's just a bunch of small areas, and that's not conducive to Oli at all. The middle area is pretty small so there's not much room to push people away, so this usually isn't a good segment for me (anyone else do better here?). Also, if Oli is forced to recover on the right side (meaning the neck of the head) it's just unpleasant; you can mindgames and try to use aerials to incapcitate the other player long enough to jump over the head, but his other options are pretty limited.

In general the stage is good because it's similar to FD, so there's usually room to Pikmin camp and pivot grab. I do like that you can't end up under the stage here like you can on FD though.

Geddan

Smash Ace
everyone pretty much said everything there is to say about this stage already.

all i have to say is KNOW YOUR TRANSFORMATIONS AND HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM, otherwise you'll get *****.

inb4someonesaysthesameappliestoallstages. -_-

Dnyce

Smash Master
- The spikes on the sides - can be thrown into very easily esp at kill percents.

- The huge line that blocks people in the left side - if you start on top of it and they are under it, be very very very very safe in your descent to the bottom. Once you've figured out a safe way to get down there (which is what you should be tryin to do), try to use pressure and clever mindgames to get them stuck in that tight left corner. In that corner you can lock them in with fsmash or jab.
=*= The spikes also send people back into the stage. From experience, they most reliably combo into down-smash or up-smash.

=*= Note that if you are at the top of that line most characters cannot hit you. Unfortunately, it may put you at a disadvantage when it disappears.

For some reason the wind here always gives me trouble; I'm always struggling to keep Oli on the stage and it really messes up my concentration. Any tips for this transformation?
=*= For the wind part, I find it useful to keep running to the right as much as you can. Avoiding the edge seems to be beneficial in the given scenario.
===*= Additionally when you grab someone, the wind continues to blow Olimar but not your opponent. There seems to be potential for pseudo combos by throwing your opponent into yourself for an up-smash or up-air, though I have not successfully done so myself. Merely speculation to be tested.

It appears that PictoChat's high ceiling is negated by the array of obstacles that Olimar can take advantage of. While upward kills may not be as frequent, it certainly seems easier to rack damage. Smaller blast zones from the side appeal to counter picking this stage against characters whom we more frequently kill with our horizontal finishers. Another highlight of the stage is the boost in White Pikmin, which should be another consideration for counter picking both players and characters who are weak to Pikmin Toss tactics.

Axi

Smash Rookie
i just recently started playing brawl competitively, but i like counter picking to green greens =D it helped me at least take a game away from a set that i got pwnd in the other two games

dahighii

Smash Apprentice
=*= For the wind part, I find it useful to keep running to the right as much as you can. Avoiding the edge seems to be beneficial in the given scenario.
Well this is what I try to do, of course, but for some reason the other player never lets Oli go for a stroll :( I usu. end up getting hit in my struggle to stay on the stage :ohwell:

I'd also like to point out that Pictochat was never this much fun on the DS.

Denti

Smash Master
I really dislike olimar here, it's too big and the stuff spawning can really put olimar in a bad situation where he has almost no control of being immediately punished. high ceiling suck but close sides are nice. Throwing them into picto chats stuff is also nice, but it's much worse when olimar gets hit into that stuff. i never CP here.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Dite and Fearless basically covered everything. Couple other things, try to use the hazards not as a way to cause early kills, but a way to know exactly where your opponent is not going to travel. The hazards are great for zoning, and Olimar is amazing at covering the areas that the hazards don't.

The wind phase is definitely or worst section on the stage. If you happen to be on the left side when it starts, or end up there somehow, you're constantly stuck at the edge, where Olimar is most vulnerable. Dite's dthrow to usmash pseudo combo is amazing, I'll probably try to work out any other combos on it to see what work. Also, tilting the control stick right to keep a neutral stand point, or slowly walk right, and them immediately mash left, getting the boost from the wind, works well as a surprise up smash.

What Dite said about spikes comboing into up smash needs to be stressed. I get more kills from this than I do from the rest of the hazards combined. The spikes have set knockback, so learn the trajectory. Landing an up smash afterwards is not difficult at all.

The fire only deals one damage per hit, but up throwing will actually cause them to take four or five damage during the throw, then the throw damage, and then they're thrown into the fire for another five or six damage. So even though it's not good for kills, it's great for damage.

This is one of our best stages. People need to play it more.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Oh, think it should be said this is my #1 stage to take snakes if they don't ban it. Otherwise, Delfino or Battlefield. I also like the stage against MK, Rob, and GW. Don't take Diddy here. Don't be particularly worried about him counterpicking it, but it's as good for him as it is for us. Uh... I could see it being alright against Marth but I think there are better options, most likely. The lack of purples would really hurt that matchup. Everything else is up to personal preference.

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
I'm suprised that no one commented on the fact that Sonic has invincible frames on the slanted edges on some stages (Pictochat included).

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
Cause that is just SO important. >.>
Its a very underestimated match-up and those stages prove it, some smashes stop him but leaves us a few frames open for punishment.

Something like this should be noted, right?

EDIT: He could easily time us out by spamming side B on the edges if he has a stock/percentage advantage.

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
I quote the lolz :)

I've never had a problem with Sonic. Sure he's fast, but I know how he's going to try to kill me. Always. So it happens rarely. Pivot grabs and c-stick allllllllllllllllllll...lllllll day.
Yeeeaaah...try to fight a smart sonic on Yoshi's Island(Brawl) and see if that works...

EDIT: I didn't just go through the invincible frames explanation for no reason, pivots won't stop him and your smashes will get you punished.

I'm not saying that its a bad match-up, but rather if you don't look at what he can do on certain stages you will lose. Which is why it needs to be noted...

Geddan

Smash Ace
Yeeeaaah...try to fight a smart sonic on Yoshi's Island(Brawl) and see if that works...

EDIT: I didn't just go through the invincible frames explanation for no reason, pivots won't stop him and your smashes will get you punished.

I'm not saying that its a bad match-up, but rather if you don't look at what he can do on certain stages you will lose. Which is why it needs to be noted...
well i strike yoshi's island so hopefully it shouldn't be so bad for me.

Denti

Smash Master
I never have problems with sonic.. at leats not anymore D: but this is not the thread to debate this.

lets discuss the new MLG counterpicks plz. I've been practicing for many hours on green greens, pokemon stadium 2, and norfair trying to figure out as many tricks and gimmicks as possible and mastering them. i strongly suggest ps2, those transformations can be abused like mad by us.

Denti

Smash Master
i would explain why, and how to use each transformation but i dont' wana talk about the stage were not even talking about. but there are two 0% to death combos ;D

Dnyce

Smash Master
EDIT: He could easily time us out by spamming side B on the edges if he has a stock/percentage advantage.
This somehow different than playing against a character we can't approach or rack damage on until he comes to us how? The variable of invincibility is just a minor inconvenience to inevitably the exact same match-up. The execution to set-up such a strategy puts Sonic at risk for Pikmin-toss damage; however, grants him temporary safety.
Although conceivably possible, it is doubtful this strategy will be a threat overall in tournament play. Use the stage ban efficiently. Worst case scenario all of your sets will go to game three.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Don't think that by my sonic comment I think picto is a good cp against us or anything lol I'm still confident in the stage against him.

Also PS2 is not as bad as we (or I) originally thought. Denti's wrong about the death string on the wind section, it does kill but it's in no way reliable, and puts you it in a terrible terrible position that you'll never want to be in. But as he said, we'll discuss PS2 after we're done with picto, which seems to be dying down.

Norfair's my new selection for "may be Olimar's worst stage but still not that bad overall".

Top Bottom