• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

ChillisMySkill

Smash Cadet

Anyone up to the task of making Freddie Mercury a Captain Falcon costume? I'm working on getting some audio of Freddie vocalizing "YEAH" to replace Falcon's "Yes!" on his up+B.
YES! I'll be happy to get started on that as soon as I can! I was going to make it, but I didn't know if anyone would want it.

RandomiZed

Smash Cadet
I made some small differences in the ''Go, Ready, Game, Time'' and the score panels when playing time mode. I don't have any recording devices/dolphin, to show em. Would anyone wanna try them?

Killgore52

Smash Rookie

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507

UnclePunch

Smash Ace

Anyone up to the task of making Freddie Mercury a Captain Falcon costume? I'm working on getting some audio of Freddie vocalizing "YEAH" to replace Falcon's "Yes!" on his up+B.
That audio mod would be amazing, please go through with it.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
YES! I'll be happy to get started on that as soon as I can! I was going to make it, but I didn't know if anyone would want it.
Awesome! That's amazing. I'll work on getting the audio happening. I found the clip I want to use, now to just figure out how to put it into Melee!

That audio mod would be amazing, please go through with it.
Hahah. I'm glad other people like the idea! I went through some of Freddie's vocals and I think I found the one I'll use! I think I'm going to spend the better part of tomorrow figuring out how to make it work!

Agent7300

Smash Cadet
quick question: the new custom shield textures are sick, but i really like the insignias in the wind, is it possible to have both on the same iso? they both use efcodata.dat

Mecinimi

Smash Rookie
I recently saw on Mango's stream that his Fox had green lasers, Falco had turquoise lasers and both of their side B's were golden. I haven't been able to find the files for these changes so I want to do them myself but I need a little help. This post used to have all the information I would need to know to change the side b colors, but none of the images or links now work so I'm not sure exactly what I need to edit. I found the Laser Changer program that CeLL made but it isn't very clear to me how to use it. Can someone please help a noob out?

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice
I recently saw on Mango's stream that his Fox had green lasers, Falco had turquoise lasers and both of their side B's were golden. I haven't been able to find the files for these changes so I want to do them myself but I need a little help. This post used to have all the information I would need to know to change the side b colors, but none of the images or links now work so I'm not sure exactly what I need to edit. I found the Laser Changer program that CeLL made but it isn't very clear to me how to use it. Can someone please help a noob out?
http://smashboards.com/threads/changing-color-effects-in-melee.313177/

Minerali

Smash Apprentice
Does anybody know how to replace alternate L and R textures from 20xx hack pack?
Get GC Rebuilder, open your SSBM iso and replace the files. The files that end up with .rat are the R trigger ones and .lat's are for the L trigger.

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice
i was trying to not double post and edit my post above, but i couldnt figure it out so f.ck it d:

Looks great! And where can I find that Smash 4 FD btw? :3
it's in 20XX 4.05's files. Named GrNLa.2at. If you wanna use it in 20XX rename that file's extension to .0at and replace the vanilla FD. I'm trying to figure out how to have both going by read the stage swap guide by achilles. I dont really have much knowledge about hex or how to change some of the code so it might take me a while d: But i will get it.

Does anybody know how to replace alternate L and R textures from 20xx hack pack?
Every character has a .rat and a .lat file. .rat is the texture that is loaded when you press R and .lat is when you press L. You can use data texture wizard to replace those textures.

PKRev

Smash Rookie
NNID
BQQ
Every character has a .rat and a .lat file. .rat is the texture that is loaded when you press R and .lat is when you press L. You can use data texture wizard to replace those textures.
Can you explain it to me specifically? Do i have to rename the .dat files then or what?

Last edited:

Minerali

Smash Apprentice
I've been having trouble removing Captain Falcon's belt buckle. I've followed Milun's guide and I removed successfully his shoulderpad, his gun and most of his belt but when I overwrote with zeroes the area in the .dat file that the guide leads me to, the match never starts and the game gets stuck on the stage loading screen. I tried to blank with 00s different areas but the results are the same. Can someone just point me the specific offset where Falcon's belt buckle is located? Here's a picture of the texture that I want to remove if I wasn't clear.

Last edited:

PrinceJohn

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
PRJN#560
Can you explain it to me specifically? Do i have to rename the .dat files then or what?
You don't have to rename it, DAT text wizard makes it super easy and is superior to gcr for texture replacing. Just import over the file you want to replace.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Also: I'm having trouble replacing files just for custom CSS screens. I'm putting into a copy of 20XX, could this be related to the auto-boot to the css screen that the game has? I'm not having trouble with other textures and two copies of css screens have already had trouble. Figured I'd see if anyone knew how to fix this. Thanks!

PrinceJohn

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
PRJN#560
Also: I'm having trouble replacing files just for custom CSS screens. I'm putting into a copy of 20XX, could this be related to the auto-boot to the css screen that the game has? I'm not having trouble with other textures and two copies of css screens have already had trouble. Figured I'd see if anyone knew how to fix this. Thanks!
Are you trying to replace MnSlChr? That file has information on other things, so if you have changed other things like music, it won't like it if you just replace it. Just overwrite the textures for the character select screen in your MnSlChr using DAT.

ChillisMySkill

Smash Cadet
Awesome! That's amazing. I'll work on getting the audio happening. I found the clip I want to use, now to just figure out how to put it into Melee!

Hahah. I'm glad other people like the idea! I went through some of Freddie's vocals and I think I found the one I'll use! I think I'm going to spend the better part of tomorrow figuring out how to make it work!
Should I remove his collar too? I removed his gun and shoulder pad, but I don't know if I'd be able to remove the collar or not.
Also, a lot of the textures I made were solid color due to the color of clothing he's wearing. :(

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Should I remove his collar too? I removed his gun and shoulder pad, but I don't know if I'd be able to remove the collar or not.
Also, a lot of the textures I made were solid color due to the color of clothing he's wearing. :(
No worries if you can't remove the collar. If he's wearing that yellow jacket it probably won't even be noticeable. Thanks for working on this! I've got the audio files I want to replace for Falcon's B moves (maybe aside from Raptor Boost since there isn't much sound there to replace), but I've been having trouble getting everything to run properly (using a Mac, so I have to go through some workarounds), but I'll keep at it!!

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Are you trying to replace MnSlChr? That file has information on other things, so if you have changed other things like music, it won't like it if you just replace it. Just overwrite the textures for the character select screen in your MnSlChr using DAT.
I'm trying to overwrite MNSlChr.usd with a file found at the beginning of this thread. Would that not be compatible? I'm still learning my way around the game files for sure. And by DAT do you mean the Texture Wizard program? I'm having some trouble getting it to load properly on my Mac (in a few days I'm just going to load BootCamp and section off a piece of my hard drive for a Windows partition since it's getting way too tough to try adjusting the programs for Mac).

Also, I'm having a similar issue trying to rewrite the stage files, which maybe I'm just doing wrong? I'm using a .dat file from this thread. Do the files not replace seamlessly like they do with character skins? If I need to use another program to rewrite the files properly, I might just need to wait till I can get a copy of Windows to install on my computer =/ Thanks in advance!

PrinceJohn

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
PRJN#560
I'm trying to overwrite MNSlChr.usd with a file found at the beginning of this thread. Would that not be compatible? I'm still learning my way around the game files for sure. And by DAT do you mean the Texture Wizard program? I'm having some trouble getting it to load properly on my Mac (in a few days I'm just going to load BootCamp and section off a piece of my hard drive for a Windows partition since it's getting way too tough to try adjusting the programs for Mac).

Also, I'm having a similar issue trying to rewrite the stage files, which maybe I'm just doing wrong? I'm using a .dat file from this thread. Do the files not replace seamlessly like they do with character skins? If I need to use another program to rewrite the files properly, I might just need to wait till I can get a copy of Windows to install on my computer =/ Thanks in advance!
It wouldn't be compatible, the MnSlChr files for 20xx 4.0 has 20xx stuff in it, like the song directory, the ones at the beginning of this thread were made for previous versions. Although some new css have been made in the last few pages of this thread, like Itarus sweet css. But if you want a different one you will probably have to use DAT Texture Wizard to extract the textures you want and put them in the 4.0 20xx MnSlChr. You would also have to do that if you have added music.

DRGN

Technowizard
okay so here's the results of my endeavors so far.

since my textures absolutely will not show up in DTW, i switched to opening these files in a hex editor:
-IfAll.usd from an absolutely unmodded melee filesystem
-IfAl0.usd from vanilla 4.05 root files
-IfAl1.usd from vanilla 4.05 root files
-MnSlChr.usd from vanilla 4.05 root files

the only ones that matter are the IfAll.usd and the IfAl0.usd, since IfAl0.usd is the one that determines the stock icons, as i discovered. however, what i did changed the stock icon in all the files quite strangely. essentially, i found that the offset and following block which contains red ness's stock icon, 0xc4c80 until the beginning of 0xc4da0, had the same string of hex as the corresponding block in BOTH IfAl0.usd and IfAl1.usd. also, the same string of hex appears at the offset 0x378020 in MnSlChr.usd.

original block of hex:

so, i thought, if i simply replace its texture with my desired texture in DTW and then copy the new block of hex into IfAl0.usd, it should work.

new block of hex:

so i did this, and i got a very weird result:
this is the image i'd like to replace it with:

this is the image i got:

anyone know what the issue is?

EDIT: i always seem to solve my own issues after posting. i never copied the palette data over so it was reading from the original ness stock icon palette
I didn't know those textures weren't working for 20XX's IfAll files. (I can't fix what I don't know about! :p) Anyway, the problem is actually related to a slight difference in how the program looks for palettes in that particular file. The way it determines whether to use this slight difference is based on the file name (in the future I'll change it to be based on the file's string table (something unique and unchanging within the file) so it won't matter what the file name is). So, here's a workaround until I release the next program update: Extract the IfAl0 or IfAl1 file, rename it to IfAll.usd, open that in DTW, change the textures you want and save it, and then import that modified file to replace your ISO's original IfAl0/IfAl1. That should work.

is there a tutorial for this?
I really don't think that's necessary. It's pretty much exactly the few steps Achilles mentioned. If you've tried to start, but are still confused, just post exactly what part you're stuck on or are confused with.

Looks great! And where can I find that Smash 4 FD btw? :3
@zankyou

The stage is shown in the OP of the Model Hacks/Imports thread (and I also skimmed the thread for it), but I don't see a download link.

Get GC Rebuilder, open your SSBM iso and replace the files. The files that end up with .rat are the R trigger ones and .lat's are for the L trigger.
DTW is an easier tool for this. One, because files are organized a bit into folders, and two, it shows file descriptions, so you know what is what.

I've been having trouble removing Captain Falcon's belt buckle. I've followed Milun's guide and I removed successfully his shoulderpad, his gun and most of his belt but when I overwrote with zeroes the area in the .dat file that the guide leads me to, the match never starts and the game gets stuck on the stage loading screen. I tried to blank with 00s different areas but the results are the same. Can someone just point me the specific offset where Falcon's belt buckle is located? Here's a picture of the texture that I want to remove if I wasn't clear.
http://smashboards.com/threads/advanced-costume-hacks-removing-model-parts-and-more.435138/

Using that guide should lead you to this:
upload_2016-5-15_18-12-56.png

So to remove the buckle, you'd then change the 0013 circled above to 0000.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
It wouldn't be compatible, the MnSlChr files for 20xx 4.0 has 20xx stuff in it, like the song directory, the ones at the beginning of this thread were made for previous versions. Although some new css have been made in the last few pages of this thread, like Itarus sweet css. But if you want a different one you will probably have to use DAT Texture Wizard to extract the textures you want and put them in the 4.0 20xx MnSlChr. You would also have to do that if you have added music.
Thanks! I appreciate the help. The 32 bit version of DTW ended up working on my Mac so I was able to replace the files! It took a little troubleshooting but pretty soon it was smooth sailing. DTW is a crazy awesome program. Way faster than what I was doing before.

Minerali

Smash Apprentice
I've updated some of my past Falcon skins and did some others

Name: Captain Rock Lee V2 (REPLACES GREEN)
(just removed the shoulder pad+gun, added konoha symbol on his belt)
Made By: Minerali
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/c3wc94a9uc31u37/Captain+Falcon+-+Rock+Lee.zip

Name: Captain Waluigi V2 (REPLACES DARK)
(Removed parts of his model, redid most textures)
Made by: Minerali
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ocj37h2237k262t/Captain+Falcon+-+Waluigi.zip

Name: Captain Wario V2 (REPLACES WHITE)
(Same as Cpt. Waluigi)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7atssd6pzrc92m4/Captain+Falcon+-+Wario.zip

Name: Captain Duffman (REPLACES BLUE)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/k72okto32xjufbq/Captain+Falcon+-+Duffman.zip

Name: Captain Luigi (REPLACES GREEN)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jp37md6k21kb1vv/Captain+Falcon+-+Luigi.zip

Name: Captain Mario (REPLACES RED)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6o5lovs2m6k3ikl/Captain+Falcon+-+Mario.zip

Name: Captain Fire Mario (REPLACES RED OR WHITE)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ctjs5wt70okd7f8/Captain+Falcon+-+Fire+Mario.zip

Name: Captain Toad (REPLACES BLUE OR NEUTRAL)
[not the actual Captain Toad from that Wii U game]
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/yqb71fdvahpbh5e/Captain+Falcon+-+Toad.zip

Name: Captain WarioWare (REPLACES NEUTRAL)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/40rul3yg2torq94/Captain+Falcon+-+Warioware+Wario.zip

Name: Captain WarioMan (REPLACES WHITE)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/19o0565lfu6u8q7/Captain+Falcon+-+Warioman.zip

Oh man, editing Falcon's textures is kind of fun, I'll look into Marth, Jigglypuff and the spacies next

Last edited:
Top Bottom