• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

zankyou

Smash Lord
So I simply removed whispy's textures and some other stuff from the Mario RPG light stage until I figure out why higher res images dont work with dolphin. I dont really mind though. I really hated how whispy looked.

If you want me to remove his eyes, nose, and mouth I can. Just thought Id be weird to have the wind blowing without any indication of what direction he's facing.
http://a.pomf.se/ybwvxf.dat

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
So I simply removed whispy's textures and some other stuff from the Mario RPG light stage until I figure out why higher res images dont work with dolphin. I dont really mind though. I really hated how whispy looked.

If you want me to remove his eyes, nose, and mouth I can. Just thought Id be weird to have the wind blowing without any indication of what direction he's facing.
http://a.pomf.se/ybwvxf.dat
I would be interested in one without Whispy's face, I might use that when I feel like turning off the wind altogether.

Mingo

Smash Cadet
Alright, an extremely noob question here, but is it possible to set the character textures that you guys are providing as the Alt Color that you access in the 20XX Hack Pack by pressing "L" on the character select screen instead of completely replacing the original game color? I've searched this all the pages on this forum several times, I've even googled it HaHa and i couldn't find anything.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Alright, an extremely noob question here, but is it possible to set the character textures that you guys are providing as the Alt Color that you access in the 20XX Hack Pack by pressing "L" on the character select screen instead of completely replacing the original game color? I've searched this all the pages on this forum several times, I've even googled it HaHa and i couldn't find anything.
It's on the 20XX thread. You just replace the listed trophy file instead of the normal character file.

Last edited:

Mingo

Smash Cadet
It's on the 20XX thread. You just replace the listed trophy file instead of the normal character file.
For Changing the Alt Costumes are we just limited to the ones (the trophy files) that are provided to us by 20XX? or could we add our own Alt Color Slots? For example could I add an Alt Neutral color for sheik? or do we just have to wait for Achilles to add more Alt Slots in future updates? Thanks for responding by the way :)

CeLL

Smash Lord
For Changing the Alt Costumes are we just limited to the ones (the trophy files) that are provided to us by 20XX? or could we add our own Alt Color Slots? For example could I add an Alt Neutral color for sheik? or do we just have to wait for Achilles to add more Alt Slots in future updates? Thanks for responding by the way :)
You could add more, but that would require writing and injecting your own ASM into the dol. Achilles has been hinting that every character will have an alt costume for all colors in the next update, thanks to @Sham Rock's discovery of adding new files to the iso, anyway.

Mingo

Smash Cadet
You could add more, but that would require writing and injecting your own ASM into the dol. Achilles has been hinting that every character will have an alt costume for all colors in the next update, thanks to @Sham Rock's discovery of adding new files to the iso, anyway.
WOW that's so sick!! Sorry for being so persistent but how often do updates usually come ( i'm completely new to this whole 20XX thing as of yesterday) i know we just got one fairly recently in March. So do you predict like a year or two?

CeLL

Smash Lord
WOW that's so sick!! Sorry for being so persistent but how often do updates usually come ( i'm completely new to this whole 20XX thing as of yesterday) i know we just got one fairly recently in March. So do you predict like a year or two?
If you want to keep up with the progress of 20XX, follow the 20XX thread.

DRGN

Technowizard
With all this talk about how to make good/uniform CSPs, I was playing classic mode and had a good idea. I realized that the poses at the beginning of each round of Classic mode are actual poses of the character models and not just pictures, so they include whatever texture hacks you have in your ISO. Check it out:
Each character has (at least) two poses based on whether they're the player or the opponent:
and pretty much all of the characters have at least one that looks good. So, you could use this to create identical screenshots for different character costumes and then use Goxplex's photoshop method to turn them into CSPs. You could also figure out where the textures behind the characters are stored and replace them with solid colors to make it that much simpler in photoshop. Getting all of the left-side screenshots would obviously be easy since you can choose which costume is used, but for the right-side screenshots you'd probably have to port each costume to that character's neutral costume (since it selects neutral costumes for opponents by default) and then play classic mode until you get your desired character as an opponent. I think you could use this method to make some really nice, professional-looking character select screens.
I like the idea for this method. It can also be combined with Dolphin's "Free Look" feature (under the Advanced tab in the graphics config), so you can get unique perspectives like this for example:
DHSE02-49.png

Hard to believe that's an in-game screenshot, huh? (Albeit with a bit of tweaking with Free Look).

The Earth orb in the background can be blanked out by hacking in a blank texture (fully transparent). It still leaves behind a blue orb, but it's fairly easy to edit out since it's all one color.

But there's still the problem that T4Varsity pointed out with the "Opponent poses" only being able to be used with the neutral costume. (Player 1, where we can actually change the costume, can't be in the other type of pose.) There's gotta be a flag that sets their costume though, so I was wondering if we can set that and get any costume for the opponent. We could also probably set the opponent too, so we wouldn't have to load up multiple times until we randomly get the character we're looking for. There's certainly good potential for poses here that we could be tapping into.

Edit: Oh, and I realize this is probably a bit out of place since we have a CSP thread, but the core hack I'm concerned about here is really with that particular flag rather than CSPs.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Force Characters and Costumes for Classic Mode Pictures (1.02)
0047369c 000000XX
004736a2 000000YY

XX = External Character ID
[COLLAPSE="External Character IDs"]
Code:
0x00   // Captain Falcon
0x01   // Donkey Kong
0x02   // Fox
0x03   // Mr. Game & Watch
0x04   // Kirby
0x05   // Bowser
0x06   // Link
0x07   // Luigi
0x08   // Mario
0x09   // Marth
0x0A   // Mewtwo
0x0B   // Ness
0x0C   // Peach
0x0D   // Pikachu
0x0E   // Ice Climbers
0x0F   // JigglyPuff
0x10   // Samus
0x11   // Yoshi
0x12   // Zelda
0x13   // Shiek
0x14   // Falco
0x15   // Young Link
0x16   // Dr. Mario
0x17   // Roy
0x18   // Pichu
0x19   // Ganondorf
0x1A   // Master Hand
0x1B   // Wireframe Male (Boy)
0x1C   // Wireframe Female (Girl)
0x1D   // Giga Bowser
0x1E   // Crazy Hand
0x1F   // Sandbag
0x20   // Popo
0x21   // User Select(Event) / None
[/COLLAPSE]

YY = Costume Number (00 to 05, but not every character has six costumes)

Capture.PNG

Example: Green Ganondorf
0047369c 00000019
004736a2 00000003

Bonus:
Metal Picture Enabled
004736a8 00000001

I can technically make team pictures, too, but I don't think there is a need for that.

Gecko codes, of course.
@ DRGN DRGN @ T4Varsity T4Varsity

Last edited:

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
0047369c 000000XX
004736a2 000000YY

Code:
0x00   // Captain Falcon
0x01   // Donkey Kong
0x02   // Fox
0x04   // Kirby
0x05   // Bowser
0x06   // Link
0x07   // Luigi
0x08   // Mario
0x09   // Marth
0x0A   // Mewtwo
0x0B   // Ness
0x0C   // Peach
0x0D   // Pikachu
0x0E   // Ice Climbers
0x0F   // JigglyPuff
0x10   // Samus
0x11   // Yoshi
0x12   // Zelda
0x13   // Shiek
0x14   // Falco
0x15   // Young Link
0x16   // Dr. Mario
0x17   // Roy
0x18   // Pichu
0x19   // Ganondorf
0x1A   // Master Hand
0x1D   // Giga Bowser
0x1E   // Crazy Hand
0x1F   // Sandbag
0x20   // Popo
[/COLLAPSE]

View attachment 33002

0047369c 00000019
004736a2 00000003

Bonus:
Metal Picture Enabled
004736a8 00000001

I can technically make team pictures, too, but I don't think there is a need for that.

Gecko codes, of course.
Amazing as usual, Achilles!

DRGN

Technowizard
0047369c 000000XX
004736a2 000000YY

Code:
0x00   // Captain Falcon
0x01   // Donkey Kong
0x02   // Fox
0x04   // Kirby
0x05   // Bowser
0x06   // Link
0x07   // Luigi
0x08   // Mario
0x09   // Marth
0x0A   // Mewtwo
0x0B   // Ness
0x0C   // Peach
0x0D   // Pikachu
0x0E   // Ice Climbers
0x0F   // JigglyPuff
0x10   // Samus
0x11   // Yoshi
0x12   // Zelda
0x13   // Shiek
0x14   // Falco
0x15   // Young Link
0x16   // Dr. Mario
0x17   // Roy
0x18   // Pichu
0x19   // Ganondorf
0x1A   // Master Hand
0x1D   // Giga Bowser
0x1E   // Crazy Hand
0x1F   // Sandbag
0x20   // Popo
[/COLLAPSE]

View attachment 33002

0047369c 00000019
004736a2 00000003

Bonus:
Metal Picture Enabled
004736a8 00000001

Gecko codes, of course.
Ha! Awesome! I had a hunch you might be able to do it fairly easily. I figured there must be a character ID & costume ID in memory at that point, but I didn't know what to look for. I know there's more than one kind of ID for characters too, and for costume IDs I simply didn't know. This is documented somewhere else, too, right? I thought I had at least one bookmark on this, but I can't find it. XD

Last edited:

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea for this method. It can also be combined with Dolphin's "Free Look" feature (under the Advanced tab in the graphics config), so you can get unique perspectives like this for example:
View attachment 32929
Hard to believe that's an in-game screenshot, huh? (Albeit with a bit of tweaking with Free Look).

The Earth orb in the background can be blanked out by hacking in a blank texture (fully transparent). It still leaves behind a blue orb, but it's fairly easy to edit out since it's all one color.

But there's still the problem that T4Varsity pointed out with the "Opponent poses" only being able to be used with the neutral costume. (Player 1, where we can actually change the costume, can't be in the other type of pose.) There's gotta be a flag that sets their costume though, so I was wondering if we can set that and get any costume for the opponent. We could also probably set the opponent too, so we wouldn't have to load up multiple times until we randomly get the character we're looking for. There's certainly good potential for poses here that we could be tapping into.

Edit: Oh, and I realize this is probably a bit out of place since we have a CSP thread, but the core hack I'm concerned about here is really with that particular flag rather than CSPs.
So did you get that screenshot by using Free Look alone, or did you change something to remove the black bars at the top and bottom? And do you know how exactly to replace the globe texture with a transparent one (is that as easy as using Dolphin's "Load Custom Textures" feature with a fully transparent PNG)? This plus Achilles' post is making me so excited to start making CSPs out of these poses!

DRGN

Technowizard
So did you get that screenshot by using Free Look alone, or did you change something to remove the black bars at the top and bottom? And do you know how exactly to replace the globe texture with a transparent one (is that as easy as using Dolphin's "Load Custom Textures" feature with a fully transparent PNG)? This plus Achilles' post is making me so excited to start making CSPs out of these poses!
Yep, Free Look alone. I just moved the camera forward so that the bars are approximately above and below where the camera is. I haven't looked into it, but the bars are likely not textures. They might still be removable, but it might not be necessary in a lot of cases. Though in the same sense, the globe (after being stripped of textures, since as I mentioned it still appears blue) might be made invisible or at least all black which would give the same effect.

To remove the textures from the globe I just opened them in gimp and deleted everything, and left the option 'save values from transparent textures' unchecked, which made these, as you can see (or not :p):
DHSE02_6c012f7e_9.png
DHSE02_fa2d2aaa_0.png

Edit: I know! I really want to make some more too, but I'm just struggling to find time.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
I cant figure out why Falcon doraki wall jumps. That wall is mirrors the other one perfectly. Ill figure it out later but for now itd be cool if you guys could test run this stage. Ill probably lower the platform later.
http://a.pomf.se/mfntli.dat

Edit: replace GrYt.dat. You dont need to rebuild you iso.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I cant figure out why Falcon doraki wall jumps. That wall is mirrors the other one perfectly. Ill figure it out later but for now itd be cool if you guys could test run this stage. Ill probably lower the platform later.
What file does this overwrite? Why do none of my notes have the name for yoshis island in them???

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
What file does this overwrite? Why do none of my notes have the name for yoshis island in them???
Sorry about that. I added it. After staring at the filename for a few hours you forget that its not common knowledge. Ill warn you though. I feel like the top plat is too high and I havent found the spawn points yet. I know the area theyre in though.

Last edited:

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice

I'm so happy to see someone coming out with new stage hacks, this is so exciting! @ Z zankyou if you don't have too many projects to work on, would you consider doing something like this idea that I posted here a while ago? Here it is:

Is anybody here good at Stage hacking or able to direct me to a guide for doing it? I saw the For Glory version of Jungle Japes on a Smash 3ds stream and had the idea of hacking the Melee version to be more like it, while retaining the platform in the middle.

Here's the Smash 3ds version:

And Melee:

I think you could make a really cool stage by taking the melee version and removing the water and claptraps, and then either removing the side platforms or pushing them into the middle to make one big stage, like the Green Greens hack that everyone uses. I don't know anything about stage hacking now, but this seems pretty doable by pushing the level of the water down below the blast zone (or moving the stage up and altering the blast zones).

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Do you have a blank hardwood texture for the middle of Pokemon Stadium like this one:

from before you put the Lakers logo on it? I want to replace mine with the old school Sonics logo

zankyou

Smash Lord
I'm so happy to see someone coming out with new stage hacks, this is so exciting! @ Z zankyou if you don't have too many projects to work on, would you consider doing something like this idea that I posted here a while ago? Here it is:
Oh I had a similar idea to hack jungle japes since its so close to being balanced. I tried a few days back but couldnt find the water. I found the object but not what pushes your character. Also funnily enough I found something weird in how the klaptrap travels. I dont know how to describe it but it was hilarious to watch 4 characters get combo'd at the same time instantly to death by an invisible klaptrap. Its not all bad news though. I had the idea to simply move the rest of the stage upwards leaving the water outside of the blast zone which in theory sounds like it should work. I was just too lazy to try it. Will do at some point now that the semester is over.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Alright so heres the completed version of GrYt.
Theres 3 versions.
Omega form: http://a.pomf.se/ojpvwm.dat

Then theres this one with the blocks as the platforms. You can go through the platforms as any other but it still operates as a box so if its hit you can land on it.
http://a.pomf.se/fytivc.dat

Also I made this just because. Theres an actual platform there instead of the boxes. You can still hit the boxes but they dont affect the platform at all other that having a hitbox.
http://a.pomf.se/lloupe.dat

(Falcon walljumps from the left ledge if you hold away. Not my fault, a lot of stages are like that already.)

Last edited:

Foxco

Smash Cadet
I downloaded a file for falco blue lasers, it works for the ntsc falco but when i press R and change to PAL version of the character the lasers change back to red. How can i change it for the PAL falco too?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I downloaded a file for falco blue lasers, it works for the ntsc falco but when i press R and change to PAL version of the character the lasers change back to red. How can i change it for the PAL falco too?
PAL Falco uses a different player file than NTSC. I've never changed lasers for PAL, but I would assume the data is structured...similar, if not identical in the PAL file. In the current 20XX pack, TyOni.dat is the file for PAL Falco. Open that one up and see if the laser data is in the exact same place. If it isn't, I would try copying the laser data in the NTSC file and then performing a search for it in the PAL file.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Do you have a blank hardwood texture for the middle of Pokemon Stadium like this one:

from before you put the Lakers logo on it? I want to replace mine with the old school Sonics logo
This is what I used.

You need to keep the image within the bounds of the pokeball in the original texture. Like this.

Here's the PSD I worked with that has the pokeball limit overlayed on top of the hardwood to make it easy to size the logo.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else having problems with the Captain Kush skin for Falcon? It seems like you can't grab him, when he uses that skin...

edb1rd

Smash Rookie

Where did you got that Falco and Fox costume if you don't mind me asking? They look great.

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
Theres 3 versions.

Then theres this one with the blocks as the platforms. You can go through the platforms as any other but it still operates as a box so if its hit you can land on it.

Also I made this just because. Theres an actual platform there instead of the boxes. You can still hit the boxes but they dont affect the platform at all other that having a hitbox.

(Falcon walljumps from the left ledge if you hold away. Not my fault, a lot of stages are like that already.)
The Omega Form is great! Amazing work! :)

Last edited:

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Theres 3 versions.

I'm loving the Omega version. I noticed though that when I up-B as Marth when I'm against the stage at a certain height, I make contact with something. I played around with the camera and saw that you hid the blocks inside the stage, and that's what I was hitting. This obviously is tiny and doesn't affect the game much, but I just thought you might want to know that they're close enough to the wall to be hit by some moves.

Where did you got that Falco and Fox costume if you don't mind me asking? They look great.
That looks like Aqua Fox to me: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j0lbfl5pg6yb026/PlFxOr.dat
As for Falco it could be "Fox Blue Falco": http://www.mediafire.com/download/d92swyh7n9rlvwt/pifcbu.dat
But you probably shouldn't trust me about Falco since I'm colorblind :p

zankyou

Smash Lord
I'm loving the Omega version. I noticed though that when I up-B as Marth when I'm against the stage at a certain height, I make contact with something. I played around with the camera and saw that you hid the blocks inside the stage, and that's what I was hitting. This obviously is tiny and doesn't affect the game much, but I just thought you might want to know that they're close enough to the wall to be hit by some moves.

That looks like Aqua Fox to me: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j0lbfl5pg6yb026/PlFxOr.dat
As for Falco it could be "Fox Blue Falco": http://www.mediafire.com/download/d92swyh7n9rlvwt/pifcbu.dat
But you probably shouldn't trust me about Falco since I'm colorblind :p
I thought I dropped the blocks below the blast zone. Easy enough fix though.

The Fox is 'Falco blue fox' that I darkened the pants of and the falco is a mixture between 'dark falco' with 'shiny wargle' clothing.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Theres 3 versions.

Perfectly describes me everytime you post something new and it all ways somehow amazes me and the omega stage looks sweet (can you do one for the kraid stage and pokefloats?)

Top Bottom