• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Japanese Everything Thread: Sakurai Famitsu Interview - Translators needed!

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Me: Hello, Ridley?

Ridley: Rawr!

Me: Yeah, I need you to do some serious Topic ****, on the double.

Ridley: Rawwr...?

Me: Yes, bring Boba Fett too.

Ridley: Rawr!!!

Okay guys, watch out.
Can we have some moderation please? I'm so tired of people trying to start things with ridley, because we all are to incapable of handling ourselves when he is mentioned.

Black Charizard maybe confirmed?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Hmm, PT impressions..

Rumors of Black Charizard. Some suggest a very dark Chrarizard that is near-black.

Awesome! Shiny Charizard FTW!!

PT Impressions: Squirtle has fast attacks, but no reach.

Hmm, cool I guess...but are his attacks really weak?

Ivysaur is the more balanced of the Pokemon.

Who woulda thunk?

Charizard is heavy, medium speed, and attacks using claws and tail mostly.

Cool, I love heavyweights :) Medium speed? Charizard=Top tier :laugh:

spindash

Smash Ace
Can we have some moderation please? I'm so tired of people trying to start things with ridley, because we all are to incapable of handling ourselves when he is mentioned.

Black Charizard maybe confirmed?
I hope so. If this black Charizard has red wings, then this is the Shiny version~

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I am just worried - from looking at the photograph on the select screen - that not that many characters will fit on the screen... And I want over 40 characters... (Whiny voice)

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I completely agree Dry Bones...though squirtle sounds nice too...and Charizard seems fun as hell...I can't choose D:.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Like I promised, Here are my notes, a direct translation from a post I made on my forum (smash.vgames.co.il)

phew, I'm finally back at the guest house, and here are my notes from the event. I was up all day long, and only played 4 times, 2 matches each. 8 matches total, 6 of them FFA 4 players with time 2 minutes, 2 of them FFA 3 players with 2 minutes.

new stages: pictochat, temple, onett.
other stages: wario ware, the summit, smashville, skyworld
Yoshi's island(new one), halberd, Lylat cruise, Pokemon stadium 2, Castle seige.
battlefield, Delphino plaza, Bridge of Eldin, Norfair

Available Characters: New: DeDeDe, Pokemon trainer.
the rest: wario, bowser, pikachu, DK,Meta Knight DDK, Ike, Peach, Link, Fox, Mario, Kirby, yoshi.

these are the characters I played as, in that order: Peach,Ike,DeDeDe, Pokemon Trainer, Peach, Kirby, Samus(20 seconds Zamus), Fox.

General feeling: game flows better and smoother, I didn't feel it was slower or floaty, It feels like everyone Is playable, and the game is much more balanced than Melee ever was, though I've seen Ike,Peach, MK and PT win most matches, It's mainly cause it was FFA.

I won all of my matches except the one played with DeDeDe, in which I took 2nd out of 4, No showing off though, I played newbies and average players.

General Impressions:

Everyone dies slowly and recover Easily, I've seen people go over 200% all the time.

Air dodges are very very short and fast, and the lag afterwards is small, while falling towards the stage with peach, you can easily air dodge 5-6 times continuously

I tried crawling with DeDeDe and it didn't work, didn't really try it with the other characters, seems to only work for specific characters.

C-stick works like melee, no Tilts and no nothing.

I saw a pokemon I don't recognize, looked like a Giant metal spider with 4 legs and an X on the front, familiar?

I've seen the following assists: Jill,Little Mac, Saki, Samurai goroh, Devil, Nintendog. there might've been more, I don't remember them.

the devil moves the stage very slowly and smoothly, much less annoying than I thought.

Nintendog is annoying as hell, and too long. you can barely see anything while it is there.

none of the assists were very powerfull, they were all kind of balanced, the only one I remember bringing KOs was Little mac.

I've seen the following pokemon: Entei,Torchic, Munchlax, Snorlax, Kyogre, Goldeen and Bonsly, there might have been others I don't remembre. Bonsly is very very powerfull, He's like a Heavy vegtable that walks around and stays very long, he bounces off the ground when thrown Up/forward

the Soccer ball is great, it bursts into flames and flies the distance of the knockback, It will kick your *** if you're in its why, and it will stop mid-air and drop dead when there's no more momentum to it.

the Fire flower and cracker launcher are both extremely deadly, much more so than before. they'll be very broken in brawl :p

Spicy curry works diffrently than I expected, It's not the flames around you that hit people, it's a random forward bound streak of fire balls, It seems pretty good.

the sandbag is there, but I didn't see it causing any damage, only being a sandbag

I've seen people auto sweet spotting edges and catching them while backwards all of the time, seems very easy to catch edges in brawl.

DK's final smash is much stronger than I thought, If you hit the buttons right the range grows tremendously, and covers 90% of the stage. It probably won't work on a demo with so many people around.

Zamus' FS is not a joke, if you're close to her it's a KO.

Link's final smash is easy to hit with, but MK's and Ike's are much harder in that matter. all 3 of them are killer FSs and you're almost surely dead, they all look extremely cool.

Pikachu's Final smash is very very very fast, and a touch from it and you're sent to oblivion.

the Pictochat drawings are impenetrable walls at times. and they can trap you at the side of the stage.

the dragoon is great, but if you don't use it immidieatly, everyone will run away from you, and you'll miss it for sure.

Pokemon stadium 2 has a conveyor belt setting floor, and it's really annoying.

the warp star is much slower than it used to be, but you can go much further horizontially.

Something weird I saw, Crates and barrels thrown Up, land without opening, It's pretty weird.

Capsules are still there, don't remember any of them exploding though

the bumper is really weird, you see allmost no indication it hit something, I didn't realize this was what was pushing me back at first.

Meta knights Forward B is very spammable, It's a Drill sort of move that arches if you move it up or down. very slow, but very annoying.

DDK's FS is very very strong, but hard to control, you have to aim carefully. and moving is hard.

PT's FS is a killer, make sure to stand behind him if he does it.

Character impressions:

Ike:

Very Very Very Very slow, but much more powerfull than everyone, he kills at 90-100 when others kill in the 150s

Neutral B works the same as marth and roy, but more powerfull and the animation is diffrent.

His aerials come out very slowly, you'll have to start them very early to hit.

his up B is very fast, but it's crap as a recovery move, cause it's not that high, and barely movers horizontially. If you hit with it it'll drag your opponent down with you.

his smashes and Tilts are freakishly powerfull.

his Forward B is a fast forward moving move, much like fox. and it's a great help in recovering.

Peach

Peach Bomber is much more usefull now, and goes further with less lag.

Peach can DJC!

Peach is faster than she used to be

Nair got weaker knockback, but Fair and Bair got stronger.

peach can FC.

I didn't get to grab with her, but her Forward throw is actually improved from what I've seen.

Dsmash works exactly the same, only less damage and knockback. still a great move.

Fsmash is stronger.

I didn't get to use many vegtables cause it was FFA, but they work the same.

Up B goes much further, falling speed doesn't seem much diffrent from it was.

Kirby:

I didn't really take many notes on kirby, his new dash attack is usefull, his nair is better, his moves look generally much stronger and more usefull than they were, he does resemble N64 kirby more than SSBM kirby.

PT:
squirtle is a weak fast characters, Ivysaur is pretty average, Charizard is a slow power character, comparable to bowser and DeDeDe.

Charazird has multiple jumps, I didn't count them. his Up B is monsterous, he flies straight up and burns anything that touches him while doing so, I didn't try his Forward B, but his neutral B is like Bowsers.

Squirtles neutral B is chargable, it's a water gun. charge more = shoot more water, squirtle gets pushed back when doing so.

I didn't get to use squirtles Up B, but it links measly and sucky. his forward B is pretty good, but it has a set time for it. he shells himself and launches forward, you can play with it a bit.

Ivysaurs Neutral B is ok, but he's immobile while using it, his up B is pretty quick and good, and it's a good move on the ground as well, his Forward B looks sucky, didn't use it much.

I didn't see any special "Stamina" element, but changing pokemon takes a very long time, a couple of seconds at least, i'd say 3-4 or even more.

you can start with either of the 3 pokemon, I don't know if it's random or controlled somehow.

DeDeDe
no more arguments on his name, game says De De De. and not DeeDeeDee like people call him.

he's a slow power type, like koopa and charizard. he's weaker than Ike, and slower than Ike, though his attacks are faster.

He has one of the best Up Bs i've seen, he jumps very high and it's very mobile.

His Forward B is very Fast and strong, very spammable, and the waddles do their job.

his down B sucks, avoid it, too slow and predictable.

his neutral B sucking is lame, very little damage, and only spits you out.

his smash attacks are very strong, but slow. in both starting and ending lag.

Samus.
no more missile cancels. missiles are easily distinguishable, cause Super missiles are green and small.

Black colour ownz.

Fsmash looks a bit faster.

Didn't get to try much with her, it was 2 mins FFA after all.

I changed into zamus near the end of the match. I only learned her Bair is ok, and not to use her dair outside the stage, cause it's like Gannon/Falcon's down B

Fox

still pretty fast, and falls faster than most

no shine cancels, no holding no nothing. I didn't shine spike anyone, but when you hit with a Deflector it grows a bit and has a new animation.

Ftilt and Fsmash still very spammable, maybe even more so.

not much to say other than that...

Questions?.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Those boxes are huge though. I mean, if you scale them down to the size of some of the stage boxes , like the 5 that apear in the 2nd row, you can fit a 40 roster.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
, It feels like everyone Is playable,
Just missing Zelda ;D
I saw a pokemon I don't recognize, looked like a Giant metal spider with 4 legs and an X on the front, familiar?
Metagross

DK's final smash is much stronger than I thought, If you hit the buttons right the range grows tremendously, and covers 90% of the stage. It probably won't work on a demo with so many people around.
Good!

And thanks a lot. That was interesting :)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
@ I. T. P.
"I saw a pokemon I don't recognize, looked like a Giant metal spider with 4 legs and an X on the front, familiar?"

Metagross :p

"Charazird has multiple jumps, I didn't count them. his Up B is monsterous, he flies straight up and burns anything that touches him while doing so, I didn't try his Forward B, but his neutral B is like Bowsers."

Awesome X 100!! :joyful:

"Samus.
no more missile cancels. missiles are easily distinguishable, cause Super missiles are green and small.

Black colour ownz."

Is this her Phazon suit or not? I hear she also has the Dark Suit..Oh, ask me if you need pics so you know which one's I'm talking about :)

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info! Man, that was a really good read. PEACH IS TOP TIER. I can't believe of fair, bair, fthrow, and fsmash were improved. FTHROW IMPROVED. Holy crap people, this is huge. Only thing made worse was dsmash, and supposedly not too badly. Thanks again.

A couple of things:

1. You can do tilts with the C-stick. You need to hold the analog stick in the direction you are hitting the C-stick. This makes CC'd D-smashes harder to do with Peach and Samus.

2. You can shine cancel. It requires you to hold down and B while jumping. It must be done quick though.

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
Is there really no stamina issues with PT? If that's the case, why bother mentioning it in the dojo unless it was a mistranslation by Nate Bidoof!! xD

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Thanks a lot for this, I.T.P.

Thanks for the info! Man, that was a really good read. PEACH IS TOP TIER. I can't believe of fair, bair, fthrow, and fsmash were improved. FTHROW IMPROVED. Holy crap people, this is huge. Only thing made worse was dsmash, and supposedly not too badly. Thanks again.
Also, this is exactly what I was thinking. How could Peach get any better?! They nerfed the downsmash, and buffed everything else.

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
im disappointed to hear that Dedede is sounding kinda crummy in general, but ah well, its still just a demo, and he may need a bit of getting used to or something =)

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
seems like dedede is one of the heavy weights i might actually like...
pokémon trainer looks proimsing...
metaknight... kinda expected that from him
peach.. i dunno lol have to play myself
im interested in kirby too

I.T.P

Smash Ace
A couple of things:

1. You can do tilts with the C-stick. You need to hold the analog stick in the direction you are hitting the C-stick. This makes CC'd D-smashes harder to do with Peach and Samus.

2. You can shine cancel. It requires you to hold down and B while jumping. It must be done quick though.
no, you can't do either of those. I play tested it myself today, not everything gimpyfish says is automatically true, and it might have been true and tweaked.

Dry bones, on the ground, Up B is a whip, it does a splash sound effect, and seemed pretty good.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I.T.P. I PMed you about Dedede, I can post it here to I guess

1. How are his aerials? Can he WOP like Jigglypuff?
2. How does he throw? Are any of his throws powerful/good at setting up combos?
3. Does the inhale (neutral b) spit far and fast?
4. Can you inhale the waddle dees and spit them as star missiles?
5. How do waddle doos act (do they seek out a target to laser), and did you ever land a gordo on someone? If so, was it powerful (knockback/% damage)

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
im disappointed to hear that Dedede is sounding kinda crummy in general, but ah well, its still just a demo, and he may need a bit of getting used to or something =)
Well you didn't expect everyone in the game to be top tier did you? :)

On a serious note though, low tier characters make the game interesting. It's so much more amazing to see people **** with a low-tier than with Fox or Falco, y'know what I'm saying? No that I hate high tiers or anything.

Also, 300th post w00t!

no, you can't do either of those. I play tested it myself today, not everything gimpyfish says is automatically true, and it might have been true and tweaked.

Dry bones, on the ground, Up B is a whip, it does a splash sound effect, and seemed pretty good.
I was at E for All, and I tested these things out myself. I went Fox the whole time, only playing other chatacters briefly. I spent alot of time with the game over those 4 days.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I.T.P., can you answer my last question?
"Samus.

Black colour ownz."

Is this her Phazon suit or not? I hear she also has the Dark Suit..Oh, ask me if you need pics so you know which one's I'm talking about :)

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
By the way Eternal pheonix Fire, lol Whobby is a more complete version of Brawl then the one you played more than likely. They "fixed" Ike. =]

Radianz

Smash Rookie
ITP: Which Melee's character is closer to Ike's overall? (In terms of speed, power, etc)

Also, you got the chance to see PT's Final Smash in action?

Thanks for the report buddy

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I.T.P. I PMed you about Dedede, I can post it here to I guess

1. How are his aerials? Can he WOP like Jigglypuff?
2. How does he throw? Are any of his throws powerful/good at setting up combos?
3. Does the inhale (neutral b) spit far and fast?
4. Can you inhale the waddle dees and spit them as star missiles?
5. How do waddle doos act (do they seek out a target to laser), and did you ever land a gordo on someone? If so, was it powerful (knockback/% damage)

1. don't think so, his jumps are slow.
2. I haven't really tried his throws, remember we were playing 2 mins FFAs.
3. fast, but not very far. the damage is very low.
4. not that I've seen.
5. I didn't get a waddle doo, sorry. but the waddle dees are better than vegtables in terms of damage and knockback. and it's one of DeDeDe's best moves.

His arials are pretty slow from what I've seen, I think his Bair and Uair are pretty quick though. his smashes are monstrously strong, better than bowsers. but Ike's are stronger than that. he also survives quite a lot, and has a huge recovery.

I only got 2nd with him by one point, he's not at all crummy.

but like all slow characters, there'll have to be ways to work around it. and that takes time.

I never said there aren't any stamina issues, I just said I didn't notice them. they might be subtle things, like Weakening attacks.

Top Bottom