• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official For Glory / Online Features Discussion (/・ω・)/

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I can't wait to dunk some scrubs in For Glory. Sakurai says 1v1 battles are possible, but are we actually able to choose between FFA or 1v1? He never said so, and well, in Brawl's Basic Brawl, 1v1's were possible, just rare. :/ I hope we can choose, is all.
Well, fF (for Fun) specificly said it was FFA only and fG said 1v1s are possible. I'd guess that means you can choose.

The matchmaking will be sweet... let's say that there's a 1000 GSP (Global Smash Power) range on the match up. That would give me 1000 players to eventually face.
GSP ranks from the bottom, so 1000 GSP means you're better than 1000 people. And it's specificly for single player modes...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, fF (for Fun) specificly said it was FFA only and fG said 1v1s are possible. I'd guess that means you can choose.

GSP ranks from the bottom, so 1000 GSP means you're better than 1000 people. And it's specificly for single player modes...
They mentioned that the GSP will have match making properties...

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
I just though of how disheartening it will be for the one guy who gets a GSP of zero...

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
While we have no items and final destination in For Glory mode, we might as well make all the characters Fox clones while we're at it!

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think the guidelines are merely stating that you should avoid doing actions that would award you the following bonuses in Melee...

*Opportunist
That...... Doesn't make sense. At all. How the hell is being an opportunist bad or unfair in anyway? e_e

Anyways. On the whole putting platforms in the For Glory mode. First off it is against randoms whereas the true competitive scene will more then likely use FCs and stuff. This is meant more for the "casual-competitive" person, and most of them consider FD as the fairest stage, maybe to ease them in or something. More then likely matches will end up being timed instead of stock and the like. But this isn;t meant for the "true" competitive scene, we have FCs and offline matches for that. This is meant to be more like a ghost version of it I guess you could say.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
There needs to be one "No items, Fox Only" joke consecrated for all to see in one place, then we never speak of again, like being molested by your childhood birthday clown.

It's way past the point of being a joke now. It's just a reference.

Please stop.

I think the two are linked. GSP is ranked because of skill, so why not?
It would be neat, but I'm pretty sure they aren't related because like Lancer said, it seems Sakurai only spoke of the GSP applying to one-player mode scores.

Last edited:

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
I'm glad some of you are grateful and all that Sakurai is trying to pay attention to the competitive scene by adding the "For Glory" mode. However if that's what he's trying to do, why are we excusing the fact that it's pretty obvious that not much research into the concept was done in the first place? Now, I'm not expecting him to understand things like such as stage bans, counterpicks, stock and time rules, so forth. I would expect more than just taking internet jargon and setting it in stone. You can look up "Smash bros tournament" on youtube and even find videos of players not even on Final Destination half of the time. I think if someone's to cater to a crowd in the first place, he/she should have at least a small grasp on what they're even catering for.

That being said, I'm going to enjoy the For Glory mode since it's there. Though I'm not going to pretend that there's something fundamentally wrong with assuming everyone who wants to play "for glory" wants to play on FD and restricting them to that.

Last edited:

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad some of you are grateful and all that Sakurai is trying to pay attention to the competitive scene by adding the "For Glory" mode. However if that's what he's trying to do, why are we excusing the fact that it's pretty obvious that not much research into the concept was done in the first place? Now, I'm not expecting him to understand things like such as stage bans, counterpicks, stock and time rules, so forth. I would expect more than just taking internet jargon and setting it in stone. You can look up "Smash bros tournament" on youtube and even find videos of players not even on Final Destination half of the time. I think if someone's to cater to a crowd in the first place, he/she should have at least a small grasp on what they're even catering for.

That being said, I'm going to enjoy the For Glory mode since it's there. Though I'm not going to pretend that there's something fundamentally wrong with assuming everyone who wants to play "for glory" wants to play on FD and restricting them to that.
That's what I originally thought, but a friend told me this IS how competitive play works in Japan. Still waiting for someone to confirm/deny this, not that I doubt him :p

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There needs to be one "No items, Fox Only" joke consecrated for all to see in one place, then we never speak of again, like being molested by your childhood birthday clown.

It's way past the point of being a joke now. It's just a reference.

Please stop.

It would be neat, but I'm pretty sure they aren't related because like Lancer said, it seems Sakurai only spoke of the GSP applying to one-player mode scores.

12:47

RIGHT after Sakurai mentions the GSP, he's talking about skill based matchmaking. My logic leads me to believe that GSP is therefore related to the Match-making.

Hugo Boss

Smash Cadet
Online matches should be at least 3 minutes long.
play more time and waste less choosing characters and stage.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
That's what I originally thought, but a friend told me this IS how competitive play works in Japan. Still waiting for someone to confirm/deny this, not that I doubt him :p
That is true. The play their tournaments and stuff on FD only. That would actually explain why For Glory is what it is.

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice
Hey all.

I'm wondering - has there been clarification on whether the For Glory online battles will be in Stock or Timed mode? Competitively I think it's paramount that we have stock battles. Do we know how this is going to work? If Time has been confirmed, we may want to make some noise...

Personally, I consider this to be as important, if not more important than the inclusion of non-FD neutral stages.

Thoughts?

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
It hasn't been confirmed. We do see footage of a timed matches during a friend or for fun match, but he doesn't say anything about how for glory matches will play. Not particularly worried about it though, I really doubt they're unaware that majority of people prefer stock battles to timed ones. And even if they did make it time battles, it's probably not something thats hard to patch.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

RIGHT after Sakurai mentions the GSP, he's talking about skill based matchmaking. My logic leads me to believe that GSP is therefore related to the Match-making.
Any thoughts on this?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I guess I don't understand the For Glory salt...

I mean, he specifically said you can set up specific rulesets to whatever you want when playing with friends, so there's no impact to how we'd play anyway... I like it if only for the FD forms of each stage.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I guess I don't understand the For Glory salt...

I mean, he specifically said you can set up specific rulesets to whatever you want when playing with friends, so there's no impact to how we'd play anyway... I like it if only for the FD forms of each stage.
Someone, I think it was @Amazing Ampharos said that For Glory shouldn't be considered a legitimate tournament alternative. More like extra practice.

infomon

Smash Scientist
ForGlory looks amazing. So cool to see Sakurai actually grok that some people like to play at least pseudo-competitively. It is not "the ultimate perfect balanced test of skill", but a great way to try to improve your skill against other people, with the thirst of rankings, without getting frustrated at stupid random bombs exploding.

Brilliant move. Also, giving FD different costumes: brilliant. He really got it.

Who cares if it's not perfect? It's WIFI, it's not going to be our perfect competitive scene. But it is much better than the online play from Brawl! So hyped for this. Sakurai's genuinely catering to people that respect smash more than a casual party game.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Right around 12:00, he says it wouldn't involve online battles. Then around 12:50, he says there will be "some sort" of skill based matchmaking. Nothing about it being based on GSP, what he was just talking about a minute ago. Again, it's looking like the skill based matchmaking is just to loosely prevent what'd usually happen in KIU: Either you're a noob in a room of pros, or a pro in a room of noobs.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Far more than FD only has me concerned, it seems that For Glory mode is time and not stock. A real shame.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Right around 12:00, he says it wouldn't involve online battles. Then around 12:50, he says there will be "some sort" of skill based matchmaking. Nothing about it being based on GSP, what he was just talking about a minute ago. Again, it's looking like the skill based matchmaking is just to loosely prevent what'd usually happen in KIU: Either you're a noob in a room of pros, or a pro in a room of noobs.
Yowzah, somehow I missed that. 0.o
Thanks for pointing that out.

So how should Sakurai do the matchmaking? Battle Records?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yowzah, somehow I missed that. 0.o
Thanks for pointing that out.

So how should Sakurai do the matchmaking? Battle Records?
Could the battle records, but who knows what kind of behind-the-scenes algorithm he could set up. I'm sure it's something that won't really be shoved in players' faces since he's so concerned about making sure people don't identify as being the best or whatever he said about why a ranking system wouldn't work.

Also, I don't know for a fact if it was me you saw, but I know I've mentioned how For Glory mode should be seen as more of a training grounds than an actual tourney rule-set in one of AA's topics.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Could the battle records, but who knows what kind of behind-the-scenes algorithm he could set up. I'm sure it's something that won't really be shoved in players' faces since he's so concerned about making sure people don't identify as being the best or whatever he said about why a ranking system wouldn't work.

Also, I don't know for a fact if it was me you saw, but I know I've mentioned how For Glory mode should be seen as more of a training grounds than an actual tourney rule-set in one of AA's topics.
I think it was you.

I'm not surprised that people are complaining about the Online Modes already. True, FD isn't the best option, but it's the safest.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That's exactly where I sit on it. Plus most of us here will be registering friends to play online so it's mostly a non-issue.
I agree. With Friends will allow us to customize our matches in better ways, and with Miiverse's messaging and Smashboards, the online of SSB4 will be a smoother process.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

The GSP is based on single player scores. Why would multiplayer matchmaking be based on single player?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I dig everything about mutiplayer

And the saltys Patoon and weenie nut modes made me laugh yea thats what each mode is like

But I just exploded from custom battle mode for wii u I thought sakurai said that was a 3ds exclusive thing but not anymore it looks like

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I see a lot of negativity here. Of course, when there's ambiguity with this sort of stuff, people tend to look at it in a darker or sketchier way when, in reality, it's probably not even finished or final yet.

We don't know for sure what "For Glory" could offer. We've only seen the first menu option of each, which then probably splits into more. If those are all the options, I'd say that's pretty uninspired, but let's continue for a second. What Sakurai did mention is that the prevalence of 1v1s is possible. So, perhaps there's a menu option for that. Or, you could become host for a game and set your own rules - namely, stock matches. Then you go into the training room and wait (hopefully not for long) and boom, someone joins and you get on with your match. We're really discrediting the team for information WE don't even know yet.

As for the platform dilemma, it's not as if this mode will be all competitive all the time. Remember, everyone thinks they're the best at smash bros because they don't face too many others. I'm certain that many up and comers will be drawn to the mode to prove their skill, and when we face them (not to sound cocky, but we're kind of on Smashboards and kind of predisposed to be more knowledgeable) they may seem easy. We're not going into this mode for tournament games, merely to go in an brush up or *gasp* play competitively for fun without consequence.

Might I remind you that matchmaking is going to be applied. And again, since it was ambiguous, many assumed it wouldn't be grand.

Further, many seem to forget that the 3DS version is coming before the Wii U. If there are errors or corrections that need to be noticed, they will be before the game launches for Wii U, almost as a test-run before the big guns roll out. Not to mention, they already crashed and burned pretty hard with Brawl's online, so we can already be hopeful for improvement.

My reaction to only Final Destination? It's vanilla as all hell, but I can't blame them for the design decision - it's basic, straight to the point, and assuringly something our crowd likes. Add butterscotch toppings or sprinkles and someones bound to complain. So for the purpose it will serve, it'll do just fine. And who knows - later down the lifecycle maybe more custom playlists can be introduced. I'm just happy I can play actual people without leaving my bedroom! Boot up the game, and bam, a new fight awaits.... or atleast, that's what I'm hopeful for.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
My question to the competitive people complaining about for glory: are you really going to have competitive matches in random online battles? Why wouldn't you do it in a structured setup with other comp players that you can just put on your friends list? Then you can use whatever rules you want. Everyone wins.

JediLink

Smash Ace
My question to the competitive people complaining about for glory: are you really going to have competitive matches in random online battles? Why wouldn't you do it in a structured setup with other comp players that you can just put on your friends list? Then you can use whatever rules you want. Everyone wins.
Friends aren't always available, bro. What if I just want to be able to jump into a match any time I want, with the options I want? You know, like you can do in pretty much every online fighting game nowadays?

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
*Shrugs* we don't know exactly how much choice will be available in each mode but even if FF or FG have set standard rule sets it wouldn't be the end of the world. You're just jumping in to mess around for a bit since your friends aren't around. You'll still get to thrash people with your favorite characters and you can do so on a more balanced playing field if you so choose. Even if we're just stuck with timed matches I see no reason to complain. Of course, I tend to play timed matches a lot anyways so it could just be me.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That's what Smashboards is for. FC sharing. :p

Yikarur

Smash Master
why are people cmplaining about FD only?

I've always played no items, FD only in my beginner days. The choice is completely logical.

Last edited:
Top Bottom