• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Final Fantasy Rep for Brawl

Chilindrino

Smash Cadet
i have never played Final Fantasy and that is why i say that Cloud is going to be in Brawl because he is a symbol, i had no idea who cecil harvey was until i read about him here, TRUST me, and you can poke and make fun when im proved wrong, but if there is an FF character, its Cloud

1. Everyone in English regions, yes.

2. I'll give you that Cecil would be the best choice of the classic non-FFI-III characters, but I still don't feel that being in a remake warrants him to be the SE rep.

Cless

Smash Champion
Chrono Trigger it's a little outdated, it should be Sora if it wasn't a Final Fantasy rep.
What the hell does that matter? Gee, Ice Climber is a little outdated, and Kid Icarus is a little outdated. I guess Popo, Nana, and Pit won't be in Brawl. Oh wait...

Cloud and Sora have nothing to do with Nintendo. Third parties should at least have something to do with Nintendo nostalgia. Snake was on the NES (though not birthed there), and the Nintendo/Sega console war was the biggest console war ever. What did Cloud and Sora ever do for Nintendo? Virtually nothing.

Squeenix rep would be Geno. He's high on the poll and Nintendo doesn't claim ownership of the character.

vesperview

Smash Hero
What the hell does that matter? Gee, Ice Climber is a little outdated, and Kid Icarus is a little outdated. I guess Popo, Nana, and Pit won't be in Brawl. Oh wait...
Why would they include an outdated THIRD party? The retro character comparison is getting really boring and trite, they can include whatever FIRST party retro character they want, because they don't have to pay for it, an outdated third party is not a smart move to go through the trouble of the legal process to obtain, let alone pay for, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy are incredibly popular franchises which could very well boost the sales of Brawl.

Cloud and Sora have nothing to do with Nintendo. Third parties should at least have something to do with Nintendo nostalgia. Snake was on the NES (though not birthed there), and the Nintendo/Sega console war was the biggest console war ever. What did Cloud and Sora ever do for Nintendo? Virtually nothing.
Stop bringing up that fan made crap, that a character has to be relevant to Nintendo in order to be included, Snake's main franchise is not even on Nintendo and MGS4 won't even be in the Wii, as far as we know.

Squeenix rep would be Geno. He's high on the poll and Nintendo doesn't claim ownership of the character.
I fail to see how that is relevant in this discussion, when Geno is not even relevant to Square-Enix anymore.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
I played:

FFI
FFII
FFIII
FFIV
FFV
FFVI
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX
FFX
FFT
FFTA
FFMQ
Chocobo Racing
Chocobo's Dungeon

And who even knows who Cecil is nowadays? Moogle has appeared in many games in the series, and is commonly known by FF fans, no matter what generation they're from.
Cecil is the best FF character there is. Yeah, **** Cloud. He was in the first FF game I played, and it was the best out of all I played.

I played Tactics Advance, X, X-2, 1+2, and Cecil's. It's a shame the interview deconfirms them. SE should make a fighting game with all the guys in the games in it.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
I fail to see how that is relevant in this discussion, when Geno is not even relevant to Square-Enix anymore.
Simple. Square Enix created Geno and Mallow as their Nintendo/Mario characters.

Every time I come to this thread I see a whole bunch of people arguing about who represents Square Enix the most and who is the most deserving in Smash Bros Brawl. Guys, this isn't about who is the most popular character of all time getting into Brawl. The problem is, Smash Bros Brawl fans aren't civil people who are satisfied with one treat. Ok, so Cloud could get confirmed tomorrow, right? Well it wouldn't END there. Soon people would say.. "oh if Cloud is in Brawl, I want every other Final Fantasy character too!" and sadly, this title is developed by Nintendo. There is BIAS. I've been saying that all along.. Nintendo fighter/action game = bias. As awesome as it would be to get Cloud and Crono and Squall and Vivi and Auron and Sephiroth and Kefka and Mogs and Chocobos.. its just way too much to ask. Third party characters never had to be added into this game, but I'm grateful that they have been. Don't get me wrong guys, I support the inclusion of a Final Fantasy character but not everybody is going to be completely happy with who is chosen. So this is why I say that Geno and/or Mallow would represent Square Enix in Brawl. They developed the FIRST Mario RPG. Thats big news for the franchise and a lot of people blow that fact off and shoot it down. Listen, I don't blame anyone here for hating the psychopath Geno fans but sometimes you have to come to terms with reality. I'm not here to argue with anyone but I would like to state that FACTUALLY Geno has a stronger chance than a Final Fantasy character. Now hold on a second, chill.. before you "tear me apart" listen.. ok? Just listen.. I've said it earlier in this post and in another post. Geno can be considered as a "third party Mario character" and therefore he should have the greatest chance at representing Square Enix in this Nintendo game! If Brawl was being developed by say.. Square Enix, then load it up with Final Fantasy characters.. thats whats expected. However, I don't claim that Geno has a perfect, undeniable shot a Brawl and assuming I'm saying that is horribly mistaken.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Why would they include an outdated THIRD party? The retro character comparison is getting really boring and trite, they can include whatever FIRST party retro character they want, because they don't have to pay for it, an outdated third party is not a smart move to go through the trouble of the legal process to obtain, let alone pay for, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy are incredibly popular franchises which could very well boost the sales of Brawl.
Chrono Trigger has been called one of the best (if not the best) RPGs of all time. It's more than an outdated RPG. In a matter of fact, it's better than all the RPGs I've played (and I played many). Only Final Fantasy 6 and Secret of Mana 2 can equal to Chrono Trigger.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Chrono Trigger has been called one of the best (if not the best) RPGs of all time. It's more than an outdated RPG. In a matter of fact, it's better than all the RPGs I've played (and I played many). Only Final Fantasy 6 and Secret of Mana 2 can equal to Chrono Trigger.
I'm not saying it isn't a good game, there's just absolutely no reason for it to get publicity.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I'm not saying it isn't a good game, there's just absolutely no reason for it to get publicity.
I can't see why it doesn't deserve publicity. It's easily the most popular RPG during the days of 2D.

Cless

Smash Champion
I think you are overestimating how much Sora or Cloud would help sell this game.

Also, Snake's main franchise may not be on Nintendo, but I don't see Squeenix reps knocking down Sakurai's doors to include a FF, DQ, or any other character in the game. I may end up being wrong about that, but Cloud is still a bad and unlikely choice.

Geno is relevant to Squeenix. He is the intellectual property of Squeenix, so I think he's pretty relevant.

Zian

Smash Cadet
1. Everyone in English regions, yes.

2. I'll give you that Cecil would be the best choice of the classic non-FFI-III characters, but I still don't feel that being in a remake warrants him to be the SE rep.

You really didn't even read what i wrote on the top of page 14. I didn't just say cause he's in a remake he deserves it.. Read before you write.

Him being in a remake is the only good reason to pick him. He may be an interesting character, but that's all he'll ever amount to. Generic classes like Black Mage, species like Moogle, or Hell, even Terra from FFVI are more recognizable.

HollabackRyu

Smash Journeyman
Square did real well by leaving Nintendo, the ****ty N64 could've never pulled off Final Fantasy VII.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Cecil is the best FF character there is. Yeah, **** Cloud. He was in the first FF game I played, and it was the best out of all I played.

I played Tactics Advance, X, X-2, 1+2, and Cecil's. It's a shame the interview deconfirms them. SE should make a fighting game with all the guys in the games in it.
What interview?

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
The N64 wasn't crappy. The games on it were. Square just wanted to use CDs and Nintendo refused to which was a bad decision in retrospect.
Yeah, but there's still no way the 64 could've of pulled of FFVII's 3 discs worth of material. I once a calculation of the expected price it would've of had had it been released in it and it was like 90 dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if it costed even more.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but there's still no way the 64 could've of pulled of FFVII's 3 discs worth of material. I once a calculation of the expected price it would've of had had it been released in it and it was like 90 dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if it costed even more.
yah mutliple carts = way more expesive than multiple disks

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, you're probably right, but Nintendo carts were crazy expensive anyway.

Ok, that's enough of this. People don't understand that characters should have some ties to Nintendo since this originally was a game of Nintendo All-stars. I may pop in from time to time. All this pointless character debating is wearing me out.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Heh, half of the things we do in this forum are pointless either way.

But you're totally right, they should pick a character somewhat tied to Nintendo, even if it's not the ULTIMATE best move comercially, adding a FF character would help sell the game, even if it's not Cumulus Nimbus.

Zian

Smash Cadet
Him being in a remake is the only good reason to pick him. He may be an interesting character, but that's all he'll ever amount to. Generic classes like Black Mage, species like Moogle, or Hell, even Terra from FFVI are more recognizable.
"I'm going to make this short and simple. A clear representative is CECIL HARVEY. He was the main character when the series redefined what storytelling and character delevelopment should be in a RPG. Not to mention the active time battle ATB system it introduced that RPG and MMORPGs today still use. Most RPGs today are lucky if they are even half as good as this 16 year old milestone."
-zian (me)

If you are really a Final Fantasy fan Snitch, you make the rest of us look bad. It doesn't matter who is more recognizable. FFIV was a breakthrough on how to make RPGs and should have a character to represent its greatness. Again who the hell was marth until he made it to SSBM? I didn't recognize him, but now I think the guy is the man.

"I'm going to make this short and simple. A clear representative is CECIL HARVEY. He was the main character when the series redefined what storytelling and character delevelopment should be in a RPG. Not to mention the active time battle ATB system it introduced that RPG and MMORPGs today still use. Most RPGs today are lucky if they are even half as good as this 16 year old milestone."
-zian (me)

If you are really a Final Fantasy fan Snitch, you make the rest of us look bad. It doesn't matter who is more recognizable. FFIV was a breakthrough on how to make RPGs and should have a character to represent its greatness. Again who the hell was marth until he made it to SSBM? I didn't recognize him, but now I think the guy is the man.
If you lived in Japan, your point would be that Fire Emblem was released in your region.

But you are actually arguing that you never heard of Marth when there's no way for you to have known unless you researched it yourself.

The point is that you can't say that Cecil is good despite being not very well recognized based on the idea that an American didn't recognize Marth. Cecil would be unrecognized for no longer being relevant. Not the same case with Marth.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
The point is that you can't say that Cecil is good despite being not very well recognized based on the idea that an American didn't recognize Marth. Cecil would be unrecognized for no longer being relevant. Not the same case with Marth.
Cecil would still be recognized... you can't call yourself a Final Fantasy fan and not know Cecil.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
How many FF4 remakes there are i'm pretty sure a ****yload of people recognize him.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
FF4 was my first rpg looong time ago. I admit the game rocked... in fact ff4 was "game of the year" in 1992 for the ones who dont know. You know what a gme need sto be game of the year?. It was revolutionary.

Still, even when i know that cecil is very recognizable in america...... he is way too old and forgotten( even with the remake),....and most of all... himself alone,, didnt represent the FF series a a whole.... like the black mage or the moogle...which has appeared in plenty of games,,,and BM was in the first final fantasy and in a lot more.

Even nobuo uematsu´s band is called "the black mage" and not "cecil´s gang" or "the chocobos".

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
FF4 was my first rpg looong time ago. I admit the game rocked... in fact ff4 was "game of the year" in 1992 for the ones who dont know. You know what a gme need sto be game of the year?. It was revolutionary.

Still, even when i know that cecil is very recognizable in america...... he is way too old and forgotten( even with the remake),....and most of all... himself alone,, didnt represent the FF series a a whole.... like the black mage or the moogle...which has appeared in plenty of games,,,and BM was in the first final fantasy and in a lot more.

Even nobuo uematsu´s band is called "the black mage" and not "cecil´s gang" or "the chocobos".
*even with the remakes* WHAT? The remake prooves the game is far from forgotten, and Cecil is still relevant.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I'm sure a Square-Enix representative is just as likely as a Capcom or Namco or whoever representative. As famous as Squaresoft was for stopping their support of Nintendo for awhile, the other prospective third-parties weren't that much better. SE's just a popular target nowadays.

You don't have to have played FFIV to be a fan of FF.

And you aren't viewing this very objectively; you know who Cecil is, so you believe Cecil to be very well-known.

Top Bottom